• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bittersweet Day: A Family's Baptism Story

In summary, while the day brought some sad news of a neighbor's unexpected death, it also brought joy as both the daughter and husband of the family were baptized. The daughter had been asking to be baptized since age 6 and the husband had finally decided to make a public proclamation of his belief. It was a special day for the family to share together. Prayers were also sent to the neighbor's family.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, the bad news first...while we were in town today, our pagers went off...a neighbor died unexpectedly. :( Pray for a wife and children (don't know their ages or how many because this is a seasonal resident).

Now for the good news! It was baptism day in our family! Both my daughter AND my husband got baptized!

For us, this is a "believer's baptism". We believe in salvation, then baptism as a step of obedience and proclamation or others.

DD asked Christ into her heart at age 4 and has been asking since age 6 to be baptized. She is now 7. Our pastor will not baptize a young child, he wants to make sure they understand why they are doing it and that it isn't a forced thing by their parents. DD has approached him on her own more than once and was very clear about everything. I was in tears myself of her understanding.

DH grew up in a "Christian" home but did everything he could to screw things up. No, there wasn't drinking or drugs, but he sure did things "for himself". He didn't think he needed to rely on God. He really didn't change his life until about age 25 or 26 after realizing that setting his own path wasn't the way to go. He never got baptized because he hates crowds and public speaking (unless they are informal or he controls them) and when our church had a service, he was always serving at camp.

So, DD and DH got to share a day together!

janetupnorth-albums-my-cuties-picture827-pastor-steve-sammie-before-baptism.jpg

janetupnorth-albums-my-cuties-picture828-sammie-being-baptized.jpg

janetupnorth-albums-my-cuties-picture829-sammie-after-baptism.jpg

janetupnorth-albums-my-cuties-picture830-steve-being-baptized.jpg

janetupnorth-albums-my-cuties-picture831-steve-being-baptized.jpg

Sorry about your neighbor, but CONGRATULATIONS to your DH and DD! I know you must be so very proud! Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I love how well children understand God. It's amazing how pure and simple they are, while we adults always complicate things. Wow! Congratulations again :D
-Tara

Oh, Janet...your post and the pictures brings tears to my eyes! I am glad that your DH decided to make a public proclamation of his belief...and your daughter just amazes me each time you speak about her!

Prayers to the neighboring family...

What a celebration! I :love:LOVE:love: Baptism Celebrations!

Congratulations to your whole family.

How awesome for your family!! What a moment to share as daddy and daughter. Praise God!!

Prayers for your neighbor.

Congrats to DH and DD!!! How exciting that must have been for your bittersweet day!!!

Sorry to hear about your neighbor.

Congratulations!! My daughter and I shared the same moments this past June- it truly is amazing the feeling you receive. How awesome for your husband to finally be ready to make that statement to others!

Janet,

Congratulations to your husband and daughter for this great commitment for their lives. God Bless!

Janet,

I saw your pics at the bottom of the home page and thought they looked like someone was getting baptized :) but didn't see this thread til now.

Congrats to your family! I know you are so happy for them right now :)

I know how you must feel with your family's baptism. I had the joy of having all of my family baptized within the last 4 years, and it was wonderful. It sounds as though your DD will be a wonderful woman of God, and possibly a missionary. I hope your family all the best with your walk with Christ!

About your neighbor I am sorry for the loss. My prayers are going out for his entire family. I love to be able to say the first names of people I am praying for. If you know the first names please let me know (first names only).

Again congradulations for a wonderful day.

What an awesome event to share together! How cold was the water? I think river baptisms are so cool but I don't like being in lake water for any reason...don't like getting my toes nibbled!

Sorry about your neighbor...will keep his family in my prayers!

I'm sorry about your neighbor, but delighted with the news of the baptisms. Congratulations!

How exciting Janet. I was baptized in a strip-pit several years ago. I grew up going to church, but just never felt the need to be baptized. Then when we began to go to church again 10 years ago I felt the need to do it. My husband, and older 2 kids and I were baptized that day. My youngest son got baptized about 3 years ago in a cattle trough. When we built our new church we built in a baptistry and it is beautiful. We are going to be having a baptizmal...not sure that is a word...service at the end of September. Our pastor is always hesitant to baptize children too. He wants them to understand what is going on. My youngest son approached him and he talked to him about the meaning of being baptized and what it represents before he was baptized.

How neat that they got to do that together:)

tlag1986 said:
I know how you must feel with your family's baptism. I had the joy of having all of my family baptized within the last 4 years, and it was wonderful. It sounds as though your DD will be a wonderful woman of God, and possibly a missionary. I hope your family all the best with your walk with Christ!

About your neighbor I am sorry for the loss. My prayers are going out for his entire family. I love to be able to say the first names of people I am praying for. If you know the first names please let me know (first names only).

Again congradulations for a wonderful day.

I will be glad to tell you when it hits the paper, maybe today. I found out through a medical call so I cannot share until details become public and only public details.

pcchefjane said:
What an awesome event to share together! How cold was the water? I think river baptisms are so cool but I don't like being in lake water for any reason...don't like getting my toes nibbled!

Sorry about your neighbor...will keep his family in my prayers!

The lake was about 68-70 I believe. Both said it was warmer than the air. DD was cold but too excited!!!! She practically ran in the water.

Don't worry Jane, the fish stay away...

What a great experience and life lesson!

Janet,

other than the sad news, what an awesome day for your family! I can't wait to see my kids taking that step too. I also had the blessing of seeing my DH be baptised about a year and a half ago, after being raised in a Christian family, but in a denomination that practices infant baptism and a profession of faith later. He decided that it was the right thing for him to do too, at that time, in our current church.

I know you are, but be thankful for your wonderful DH and kids!!

And praise the Lord! We are so blessed :)

Prayers coming your way Janet and for the family too ~

But AWESOME day for your DD and DH...what a special connection they will have for life!

Sorry for your loss. However, what an amazing blessing for your DD and DH to share a birthday of sorts.My DS was baptized as an infant. He made a decision for Christ when he was a child. The church we were attending at the time didn't do believer's baptism, so he went through a confirmation-type ceremony as a pre-teen. When he was 17 he chose to be baptized in the church he was attending at that time. His baptism was on December 21. Every year I give him a birthday card in remembrance of his baptism. He turned 4 last December.

raebates said:
Sorry for your loss. However, what an amazing blessing for your DD and DH to share a birthday of sorts.

My DS was baptized as an infant. He made a decision for Christ when he was a child. The church we were attending at the time didn't do believer's baptism, so he went through a confirmation-type ceremony as a pre-teen. When he was 17 he chose to be baptized in the church he was attending at that time. His baptism was on December 21. Every year I give him a birthday card in remembrance of his baptism. He turned 4 last December.

Rae...what a great thing for you to honor each year!

You must be so proud! I know I would be..

Here is the obituary:

Richard G. “Dick” Davis, age 58, of McNaughton died on Sunday, Aug. 24, 2008 at his home. Dick was born in Stevens Point on April 22, 1950 to Jack and Alice (Klake) Davis. He grew up in Racine and graduated from Horlick High School in 1968. He attended UW-Oshkosh prior to his service in the Vietnam War. He served as an Army Medic during the war from 1969 to 1970. Upon his honorable discharge, he returned to UW-Oshkosh in 1971, receiving his Bachelor’s Degree in Business in 1975. He married Laurel Hanna on May 25, 1974 in Appleton. Dick worked for the Capitol Group in Peoria, Ill. and Connor Company in Bloomington, Ill. before moving to this area in 1996. He and Laurel owned and operated the Gaslite Inn in Lake Tomahawk for three years. Dick was an avid golfer and enjoyed fishing and living in the Northwoods. Above all, he was a loving and devoted husband and father.

Dick is survived by his wife, Laurel; his son, Andrew of Chicago; his daughter, Katherine (Scott) Herrem of Madison; his brother, Scott (Carol) of Milwaukee; and his sister, Ann (Greg) Golubeff of Milwaukee.
ADVERTISEMENT

He was preceded in death by his parents.

A celebration of Dick’s life will be held at the Hildebrand-Russ Funeral Home, 715-365-4343, on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2008 from 1–3 p.m. Interment will follow in Wilderness Rest Cemetery.

Services/burial today.

I just realized this guy grew up in the same town as me and graduated from the same HS. Of course I'm MUCH younger!

What is "Bittersweet Day!"?

"Bittersweet Day!" is a special day dedicated to celebrating the bittersweet moments in life. It's a reminder to embrace all aspects of life, both the happy and the sad.

When is "Bittersweet Day!"?

"Bittersweet Day!" is observed on the third Sunday in November every year.

How did "Bittersweet Day!" start?

"Bittersweet Day!" was started by a group of friends who wanted to create a day to recognize and honor the bittersweet moments in life that often go unnoticed.

How can I participate in "Bittersweet Day!"?

There are many ways to participate in "Bittersweet Day!" You can use the hashtag #BittersweetDay on social media to share your own bittersweet moments, reach out to friends and loved ones to let them know you're thinking of them, or simply take a few moments to reflect on the bittersweet moments in your life.

Does Pampered Chef have any special products or recipes for "Bittersweet Day!"?

Yes, we have a variety of products and recipes that are perfect for "Bittersweet Day!" Our Bittersweet Chocolate Truffles and Bittersweet Brownies are customer favorites. You can also find special edition bittersweet-themed kitchen tools and accessories on our website.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • starrmarie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
starrmarie
Replies