• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Large Stoneware for Baking: Is Size Really Important?

In summary, it is important to use the appropriate size pan or stone for each recipe to ensure even cooking and best results. Using a larger stone than the recipe calls for can result in uneven cooking and potentially burnt or undercooked food, while using a smaller recipe on a larger stone may cause the food to lose its shape. It is best to follow the guidelines for each specific recipe.
dancedivine
I have a large bar pan and a large pizza stone with handles. I bought these because they were the largest sizes, and I figured I could use them for just about *everything.* However, I am now reading that you are not supposed to use a stone that is larger than the recipe you are cooking. I don't understand why this is? What happens if I cook a small, personal pan - sized pizza on my large pizza stone? Is there really a problem with this? Thanks for the information!

:):rolleyes:

It's always best to use the pan closest in size to whatever you're heating. The idea is that you don't want half of the stone to get really hot while half is still cold from a small froze whatever. It's a matter of using common sense. Unfortunately the HO can't count on all customers being well-imbued with common sense. ;)

I'm still not sure that I understand the problem? Is there a chance that the stone might break? Or, will the food not cook properly if the stone size is too big? I just want to be sure I'm clear on this before I start selling it (and using my own)! Thanks so much!

Yes, the issue is that the stone might break.

Hi there! I can understand why you would think that having the largest sizes of bar pan and pizza stone would be beneficial for all your cooking needs. However, it is important to follow the guidelines for each specific recipe to ensure the best results. Using a larger stone than the recipe calls for can result in uneven cooking and potentially burnt or undercooked food. This is because the stone will retain more heat and cook the food at a different rate than intended. Additionally, using a smaller recipe on a larger stone may cause the food to spread out too much and lose its shape. I recommend sticking to the appropriate size stone for each recipe to achieve the best results. Happy cooking!

1. What is stoneware and how is it different from other types of bakeware?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic material that is fired at a high temperature, making it durable and non-porous. It is different from other types of bakeware, such as metal or glass, because it retains heat well and distributes it evenly for better cooking results.

2. Is stoneware safe to use in the oven?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the oven. In fact, it is designed to withstand high temperatures and is often used for baking and roasting. Just be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper usage and care.

3. How do I clean and care for my stoneware?

To clean stoneware, simply rinse it with hot water and use a nylon scraper to remove any food residue. Avoid using soap or harsh chemicals, as they can absorb into the porous material. It is also important to never soak stoneware in water, as it can cause cracking. Instead, allow it to cool down before rinsing and wiping clean. For long-term care, avoid extreme temperature changes and do not place it under a broiler.

4. Can I use stoneware on the stovetop or grill?

No, stoneware is not suitable for use on the stovetop or grill. It is designed for oven use only and may crack or break if exposed to direct heat from a stovetop or grill.

5. Are there any foods that should not be cooked in stoneware?

Stoneware is safe for most foods, but it is not recommended for acidic or highly sugary foods. These types of foods can cause the stoneware to become discolored or absorb the flavors, making it difficult to remove the taste. It is also not recommended to use stoneware for foods that require high heat for a long period of time, such as broiling, as it can cause the stoneware to crack.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vhadley
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • kam
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • BeckyC5830