1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Weird chemical smell/taste from stoneware

1. mrshamel3808

mrshamel3808 Member Gold Member

I just baked some Pillsbury grands biscuits on my small stoneware bar pan. I noticed while it was cooking I started smelling this weird chemically smell. I used the oven last night to cook a pot roast in the DCB and there was no smell so I knew it wasn't the oven. When I took them out of the oven, there seemed to be an excess of oil/liquid substance on the pan. I've cooked biscuits before on the large bar pan and never noticed this and I cooked another batch just now on the cookie sheet and there was no smell. The 2nd batch was from the same package too so it wasn't just a bad package. I tasted one of the ones from the bar pan and they even had a slightly funny taste. I don't remember specifically the last time I used the small bar pan but I know it wasn't THAT long ago and I've never had this happen before. Any ideas what it could be from and/or how I should clean it to prevent it from happening again?

Oct 26, 2011
  2. gailz2

gailz2 Senior Member Gold Member

I think you should call HO test kitchens, or whomever, and see what they say. I have never had any problems with smell or taste, and also rarely use the small bar pan.

Oct 26, 2011
  3. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

Is it possible that a spouse or family member cleaned your stone with something they shouldn't have used?

Oct 26, 2011
  4. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

That's what I was wondering....it's not the oven, not another piece of stoneware, not that batch of biscuits, so it has to be the small pan.

Oct 27, 2011
  5. mrshamel3808

mrshamel3808 Member Gold Member

Right, I haven't used it in a while so my husband possibly did something weird to it...but all we have is regular dish soap. We don't even use non-stick spray in our house. I washed it with soap and hot water thinking maybe that'd help and it still has the weird smell. I'll probably try baking soda paste before contacting the HO.

Oct 29, 2011
  6. This post was so long ago but I was wondering if a solution was found. I just used my stone for the first time and noticed the "chemical" smell while seasoning it with cresant rolls. When I opened the oven the stone had black smoke coming from it even thou the rolls were still raw. when I tried it a second time the same thing happened. The stone now has a heavy smell of chemicals like oven cleaner which I have never used in my oven. Which was brand new when I moved into the house. Do you think it could have had a reaction to the self clean oven?. It kind of smelled like that also.

Apr 9, 2016
  7. Throw it away immediately. This smell could be very dangerous and consist very harmful chemicals. There are a lot of cases when women didn't pay attention at such smells from pans griddles continued to breathe it. After this, they noticed that they have problem with hair, bones and even decreased muscle mass, but they didn't even think to associate it with the smell from the frying pan. I am doctor and when I see such situation, first what I prescribe it is to use heavy metal hair test kit from myhealthconfirm.com. And in 90 cases, they are high level of heavy metal in blood.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Jul 27, 2020
Have something to add?