• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Life's Struggles: My DS Story

In summary, the author went inactive on March 31st and did not realize it. They had sales in January and February, but not a lot because of family stuff. They had to scramble to go to their grandma's memorial service in Florida and had to fly home due to car problems with their dad's 2008 town and country. They had a memorial service at home and were trying to save their grandma's house from being taken by Medicaid. Their director called them on the 3rd to tell them they were inactive and they needed a retro waiver. They called HO on the 4th and were told no retro waiver allowed and they were now at active status.
PChef_ang
Gold Member
Unfortunately I'm not. It doesn't matter. After 7 years I inadvertantly went inactive 3-31. I had sales in January and February not a whole lot as I've been dealing with a lot of family stuff, but enought to stay active. I completely didn't realize that I was cutting it close. I've had so much going on lately that I haven't been thinking really clearly. My grandma passed away February 25th and her memorial service was in Florida on March 7th. I had to scramble to try and figure things out for my 4 kids so I could go, which praise the Lord I was able to attend. We left to drive down on March 4th and ran into car problems with my dad's 2008 town and country and had to fly home on the 9th. We had a memorial service up at home (Ohio) since a lot of the family couldn't attend in Florida, plus the service in FL was overshadowed with the fact that my uncle who was POA gambled away her money and then cremated my grandma against her wishes. It wasn't just family who knew that her hairdresser had taken her shopping for the outfit she wanted to buried in. It was all just heartbreaking. So when we returned home we started preparing for the service up here. On top of this my other grandma was diagnosed in November with congestive heart failure and diabetes and has severe macular degeneration. She needed to be put into a nursing home and because she couldn't trust my mom to make good decisions on her behalf, my DH and I are her POA. I've been trying to save her house, where my mom has lived for 25 years, from being taking in the Medicaid process. This can be solved if my grandma's doctor would just fill out the forms I need, but I can't get them to do or get them to say they won't. I've camped out for over two hours the first deadline for them to tell me that they didn't have enough of her records and they would just put unknown in the areas they didn't have information about. The form was rejected and I got an extension, I got the rest of the records and keep getting stonewalled with I'll have to check on that and call you back. I actually called an attorney today to see if they could compel the doc’s office to call me back....

Anyway, I digress. I've had a lot going on with my family so I haven't been able to do my business as well as I liked. I had a fundraiser expo thing on March 27th; I’ve done the last 2 years for our PTO. A bunch of DS companies together etc. It normally yields at least $2oo in sales or more, but not this year. This year was only $88 in sales. I really wanted to close by the end of March just so I could have the sales turned in, not realizing I could go inactive, but I didn’t have enough for a show. I called HO on the 31st to inquire about how to handle a fundraiser that isn't at $150. It was complicated as it was 3 orders and 2 of them paid by cc. So I was told it had to be $150 to send it in. In hindsight it would have been great if the person I spoke with said you'll be inactive if you don't get it in. So none of this sinks in until my director calls me on the 3rd while I am out of town with my kids and tells me I'm inactive and to get a retro waiver. I call HO on 4/3 and no retro waiver allowed, new career plan....my heart sank I was at 49,653 in sales and their gone, my recruit gone. I'm now at active status as I had a show on the 7th and have close to $700 in sales turned in for the month already. I'm torn as I realize that I'm guilty of not paying attention and allowed my sales to pass, but I'm angry too, I would have thought there would have been a lap over with the waivers etc.. I am in no way trying to excuse what happened. I've been mentally hanging by a thread and the month of March was pretty much a haze to me.
MY DH is not happy. UNfortunately this affected my director too with the new career plan since I lost my recruit I am no longer/never got to be a senior consultant. I really thought I was going to be okay with having to start all over until I broke down in tears at our cluster meeting Monday night. My cluster is not happy about this either. I feel horrible that a mistake I made is affecting other people. I called and left messages at HO and am praying for some miracle that I might be able to get my sales back......

Angela, I am so sorry to hear about everything that has happened. You have had a rough few months and it can't be easy. I would be just as upset as you are.

I will pray for you as I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for the prayers Chris, I really appreciate it.

Oh my goodness, Angela, I am so sorry for all you have been going through. I can't even imagine all the heartache, grief and stress these past months have been for you. It's too bad that the timing of the old plan and the new plan have created this non-window of time. I wonder if you were to write this all to HO, if they would work with you since you were dealing with so much stress and grief all at the same time. I know this is listed as something in the new plan, and since the old plan had a waiver thing, I just wonder if there is just something they would do to help you out. Here's what the new plan says, but I don't know if it can apply for you (again, since the time period was with the old plan and it sounds like the extension request would need to be made by the end of the second month, but it's worth asking)...Extension
To provide help in a prolonged situation, a Consultant
may request a one-month extension. This gives her one
additional month in which to submit $150 in personal
commissionable sales, so that she can retain her career sales
and 2% commission increase. This extension is available
once every rolling 12 months.
• For Example: Lori didn’t sell at all in June, so she was
inactive in June. In July, she sold $100 but didn’t reach
$150 in sales, so she was inactive in July. In July she
requests and is granted a one-month extension, which
means that she will need to submit at least $150 in
personal commissionable sales in August to retain her
career sales and 2% commission increase.
• An extension request must be in writing, and
must be received at Home Office by the 25th
of the second consecutive month of inactivity.
Electronic requests should be sent to solution_
[email protected]. Include the word
“Extension” in the subject line.
• An extension only prevents loss of career sales and
the 2% commission increase (if already earned).
• The extension month is counted toward the
6 months of continuous inactivity, after which
the Consultant Agreement is dissolved.
Hang in there! Hugs!! I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

i guess part of me wants to think there since there was an allowance of a retro waiver before and you can get an extension now that there should be some way to cover this in some way, but it's like there's a gap somehow. Maybe I'll try and send my problem in via email too...

Good luck and keep us posted. You would think with this being such a great company and you being with it for 7 years they would do right by you.

Sorry to hear all of this, call back and see if you can get the extension again.

Sending prayers your way!

Aunticooks said:
Good luck and keep us posted. You would think with this being such a great company and you being with it for 7 years they would do right by you.
I'm so sorry Ang, for all that you are going thru. I can sorta relate, having just gone through a huge family drama and POA issues, and dealing with Alzheimers, and choosing a nursing home, etc... I'll be praying for you as you travel this path.However, I feel like I need to address what I bolded. This is a great company, but I've read Doris's book, and I understand much better now why exceptions to written rules and regulations aren't made. With over 70,000 consultants, to make one exception means that then there have to be hundreds, if not thousands of exceptions made...and who is to decide which cases are worthy of exception and which aren't? So, the decision was made long ago that there are no exceptions.Hopefully, because all of this happened before the new roll-out, there is a window of opportunity for an extension. But, if not, then that doesn't make TPC no longer a great company who doesn't "do right" by their consultants.

ChefBeckyD said:
However, I feel like I need to address what I bolded.

This is a great company, but I've read Doris's book, and I understand much better now why exceptions to written rules and regulations aren't made. With over 70,000 consultants, to make one exception means that then there have to be hundreds, if not thousands of exceptions made...and who is to decide which cases are worthy of exception and which aren't? So, the decision was made long ago that there are no exceptions.

Hopefully, because all of this happened before the new roll-out, there is a window of opportunity for an extension. But, if not, then that doesn't make TPC no longer a great company who doesn't "do right" by their consultants.

Well said, Becky. I agree completely.

PChef_ang said:
i guess part of me wants to think there since there was an allowance of a retro waiver before and you can get an extension now that there should be some way to cover this in some way, but it's like there's a gap somehow. Maybe I'll try and send my problem in via email too...

By sending an email like it says in the new plan, it may get sent to someone who "specializes" in the extension instead of so a random person on the phone who may still be learning all of the new aspects! I don't think it would hurt at all to send it! Good luck, I hope you are able to recover your sales.

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree with you too, it is a great company to work for. If I had thought differently, I wouldn't keep trucking on with a restart...the hardest part is my DH is not happy and I think he'd rather I hang up my apron, but he doesn't necessarily see the whole picture and my part of fault in this and like what was said above if you make an exception for one, the floodgates start bursting open...

So we shall see. I trying to leave it in the Lord's hands and focus on my family issues...gotta make sure mom has a place to live, cuz I can't have her with me, lol!!

Prayers that everything works out for you w/ PC & your family!

PChef_ang said:
Thanks for the encouragement. I agree with you too, it is a great company to work for. If I had thought differently, I wouldn't keep trucking on with a restart...the hardest part is my DH is not happy and I think he'd rather I hang up my apron, but he doesn't necessarily see the whole picture and my part of fault in this and like what was said above if you make an exception for one, the floodgates start bursting open...

So we shall see. I trying to leave it in the Lord's hands and focus on my family issues...gotta make sure mom has a place to live, cuz I can't have her with me, lol!!

Didn't you get a letter from HO that you were needing to turn something in? If I was ever close to being inactive, I always received a letter that I needed to turn in X amt of dollars by the end of the month.

ALSO, not that this is your director's responsibilty, but maybe she could have asked you what was up and paid more attention that you were going to go inactive BEFORE it happeed, rather than wait till after the fact. It would have been nice. I know when my girls need to turn things in and you better believe I am on the phone trying to remind them or see where they are at in shows, etc.

I"m sorry you have to go through this. Let us know how it works out.

ChefBeckyD said:
This is a great company, but I've read Doris's book, and I understand much better now why exceptions to written rules and regulations aren't made. With over 70,000 consultants, to make one exception means that then there have to be hundreds, if not thousands of exceptions made...and who is to decide which cases are worthy of exception and which aren't? So, the decision was made long ago that there are no exceptions.

Hopefully, because all of this happened before the new roll-out, there is a window of opportunity for an extension. But, if not, then that doesn't make TPC no longer a great company who doesn't "do right" by their consultants.

I agree, and I know you understand too. I sometimes think there are some things that need to have exceptions, but again, then where do you draw the line and who has to draw it. I had a recruit who was doing really well. She had been with the company about six months and was doing over $1000 a month in sales - she was also active duty military and she was deployed to Iraq for a year. She went inactive and lost her sales as well. You would think that would have been reason for an exception - that was clearly not something she had control over - but rules are rules. Unfortunately she chose not to start her business back up, but good for you for continuing to work your business.

Looks like the worst part of two programs has been reached here-=( I am a D and it happened to one of mine on the 31st too (''''' Keep asking- I am too-

chefsteph07 said:
Didn't you get a letter from HO that you were needing to turn something in? If I was ever close to being inactive, I always received a letter that I needed to turn in X amt of dollars by the end of the month.

I did open one up when I got back from FL from the first memorial service. I don't believe it registered as I had just turned sales in at the end of February and I knew I had the expo at the end of March. Right after we got home we had to start planning the memorial for up here. So it kind of went out of sight out of mind..

chefsteph07 said:
ALSO, not that this is your director's responsibilty, but maybe she could have asked you what was up and paid more attention that you were going to go inactive BEFORE it happeed, rather than wait till after the fact. It would have been nice. I know when my girls need to turn things in and you better believe I am on the phone trying to remind them or see where they are at in shows, etc. .

I have to give my director credit. She did send me an email letting me know, but I don't know if I read it, read it or if i glanced at it as I was prepping for the expo on the 27th and leaving on the 28th with my kids....all i can say is that nothing really sinked in. Even when I called HO on the 31st to try and figure out how to submit my fundraiser w/o it being $150 in sales w/o having to add a $70 order myself, it was never I need to figure this out or I'll go inactive. I had no actual thought of it. I debated on sending it in for almost a half an hour, but wanted to wait and see if other orders would come through so I didn't have to spend out of pocket. If while I was on the phone with HO they had said, you'll need to figure something out or you'll go inactive, I would have added the order w/o thinking. I know it's not their job to keep me informed. This is the price you pay for cutting things close to begin with I guess.. I just wish I was better able to juggle all of these things that are going on. It amazes me those who can do all they do and manage to keep themselves together.....

I did get a call from HO today, not a thing to be done. I understand about the letting an exception becasue you'll open the floodgates, etc. I think I'd be taking this better had I not called HO at all that day.
My director has been trying hard. I appreciate all her efforts and encouragement!! She has told me I have two options: To say screw you and quit or to say I'll show you and blow my business out of the water. I can't really quit as I have shows on the calendar and I am not one to let people down.....my biggest problem is DH. I don't think he wants me to continue if I can't get this resolved. So I'm thinking about not talking about it with him until he asks me, I don't know..Any advice there would be appreciated...

PChef_ang said:
my biggest problem is DH. I don't think he wants me to continue if I can't get this resolved. So I'm thinking about not talking about it with him until he asks me, I don't know..Any advice there would be appreciated...

First let me say you are handling this situation with grace and understandable feelings.

Any words I could share would be from "if it were me" so please take them accordingly ;)

I think husbands are protective and also take their own responsibilities very seriously so perhaps he (a) doesn't want to see you so upset or stressed and (b) also doesn't want to feel stressed himself with worrying over you and what is already on his plate. If it were me and I wanted to take it as a lesson learned and keep doing what I'm good at...I would keep things low key, then mostly share your triumphs and he will be happy as long you are happy....

Angela, I'm so sorry you're going through this. It probably won't help at all, but it's possible that, because of the question you were asking, the person at HO you were talking to didn't have the kind of information in front of her to alert her (and, therefore, you) to your precarious status.

I agree, and I"m glad to hear that your director tried to help you before it was too late. Too often, you hear of stories of directors who don't give any help at all, and we are lucky to have those who do!

I guess as far as your husband goes, if you tell him you take PC seriously he should back off. Why is it that he doesn't want you to continue? As stated, every co has rules, and unfortunately, you fell through the cracks, but it's no reason to quit if it's not what you want. Just keep plugging away and you WILL hit that 50k mark. you could even have some kind of summer kick off or something stating "Help me re invent my business" or something... Good luck, whatever you decide!

Oh, and I know it's taken you a while to get to 50,000, but you were starting from scratch. I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't take you nearly as long to get back to where you were.

Call and ask for Consultant Career Solutions. They might be able to help.

My call from HO today was on the behalf of Jan and Jean...I don't imagine I'll get any further with it. I realized that quitting wouldn't do anyone any good. I agree it probably won't take me as long to get to 50k as my kids are much older than they were 7 years ago, lol!! My kids are great and want me to kick butt....I didn't think it would be setting a very good example for me to cry unfair and quit especially when i violated policy. So I guess it's expensive lesson in life goes on even when you don't like it :)

As for DH, my business has been of issue with him off and on over the years. I agree that if I allow it to upset me he will get into protective mode and have me quit. I told my director that I wasn't going to allow this to become some sort of issue in my marriage, so I think low key is the way to go for now :)

Thanks again :)

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this and I totally understand where you are coming from being upset because you were on the phone with HO that day. I know I would probably feel the same way.

Question on the 50K in sales though? Do we get something special for that? I know that no one wants to lose their career sales - I've done that once already during a big move with the military to an overseas post - for the simple pride of having them and for the extra 2% commission and losing your recruit is the worst of it all. But, if you do choose to keep going you will hit the 15,000 mark pretty quickly to earn back your commission. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something on the $50,000 in sales. Can anyone tell me?

50k gets you into career club, once there you stay there, unless you go inactive. This is allows you the special career club luncheon and a different gift at conference....

Man I was so looking forward to a hot meal for lunch this year...oh well, boxed lunch here I come :)

We get to attend the Career Club Luncheon at NC. While everyone else has a box lunch, we get a really nice meal with sparkling cider and a fancier version of whatever gift they're giving out this year.

Angela, you beat me to it. LOL!

I'm sorry to hear about this but do try someone in Career Solutions. See what if anything they can do. Never hurts. Send that e-mail to them as well with what you told us. Hope it works out for you.

I did go ahead and email this morning, so we shall see. I am okay for now, would be happier with a hot lunch though, lol.........

This is crap! They either need to do a waiver like the old plan or an extension like the new one!!

PChef_ang said:
Unfortunately I'm not. It doesn't matter. After 7 years I inadvertantly went inactive 3-31. I had sales in January and February not a whole lot as I've been dealing with a lot of family stuff, but enought to stay active.

I'm confused: You were active as of Feb 28, inactive as of Mar 31. The new policy became effective 4/1. That alone, in my opinion, should allow you to submit a retro waiver, because you became inactive while the old policy was still in place.

What I don't understand, though, is the example given in the new policy, as posted on Consultant's Corner, states
An extension request must be in writing, and
must be received at Home Office by the 25th
of the second consecutive month of inactivity

and

An extension only prevents loss of career sales and
the 2% commission increase (if already earned).

Since you'll be submitting more than $150.00 this month (which would be your second month), it would seem you don't even need to file for an extension, and should not have lost your career sales.

Am I reading this wrong, or did I miss something? This isn't a matter of making exceptions, it's a matter of doing the right thing, which all Consultants should expect.

pampchefrhondab said:
This is crap! They either need to do a waiver like the old plan or an extension like the new one!!

just if they PICKED one not the worse-of the two together----:(

It does seem like there is this space gap..I guess what seems logical in my perspective (allowing the one last retro month that would have been allowed in the old plan) may have caused great havoc in the overall big picture.. you would think one plan or the other would cover it, but at least now with the new plan there are greater safe guards in place for people to not lose their sales or their recruits. I am really thankful they came to see the need for that :)

1. How did you become inactive with Pampered Chef?

After 7 years with Pampered Chef, I inadvertently went inactive on 3/31. I was dealing with a lot of family issues and didn't realize that I was cutting it close with my sales.

2. What were some of the challenges you faced while trying to maintain your active status?

I had a lot going on with my family, including the passing of my grandmother and trying to save my other grandmother's home from being taken in the Medicaid process. I also had a fundraiser that didn't yield as many sales as usual, which affected my active status.

3. How did Pampered Chef handle your situation?

After realizing I was inactive, I called HO to inquire about how to handle a fundraiser that didn't meet the $150 minimum. I was told it had to be at least $150 to send in, and I was not informed that I would become inactive if I didn't meet this requirement. When I called back to try and get a retro waiver, I was told it was not allowed and I would have to start over with the new career plan.

4. How did this situation affect your business and relationships with others in your team?

Unfortunately, this affected my business and my relationship with my director. I lost my recruit and was no longer able to be a senior consultant. My cluster was also unhappy about the situation and I feel guilty that my mistake affected others.

5. Is there any hope for you to regain your sales and active status with Pampered Chef?

I have reached out to HO and am praying for a miracle that I might be able to get my sales back. However, as of now, I am back at active status and starting over with the new career plan.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KaiKendall
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • K.Shaffer