• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Learning from My Mistake: An Honest Story About Trusting Too Much

In summary, the nail tech who used to work with the customer who cancelled her appointment got a show together with her old boss's help. After the show was put together, the host recieved an order for $60 from the customer. The customer never came to her appointment and never paid for the order. The host is trying to get ahold of the customer but hasn't been successful.
KaiKendall
Gold Member
So, I know what I'm going to do, and how I'm handling it, but just had to rant!

Had a show in October for my nail tech that I've been going to for about 2 years. She is an awesome lady, and my former boss has been going to her for about 23 years or so. This lady is honest, and a great woman. She has ordered from shows I've had before, and finally decided to host. Her show sales were over $1400!! AWESOME show!

Well, one of the outside orders was from a lady I used to work with, and who also gets her nails done by my host. Known this lady for about 2 years also. She didn't come to the party, she was an outside order. She gave me a credit card number with the order. When I processed it, it came up declined. Now, we had a falling out (she got fired for calling me some inappropriate names at work... lol), so I didn't feel comfortable calling her myself. I asked the host to ask her about her payment. After a week and the host not asking her about payment, I bit the bullet and texted the guest. She apologized and said she would get the host a check at her next nail appt (the next week).

Because the show was already 3 weeks past the show date, I didn't want to wait ANOTHER week, this was also just a few days before I was going to give birth! I knew the host, and I knew the guest (I knew she was good for the money), so I submitted the show anyways, using my money for the order. The host assured me she would not give the guest the items until they were paid for. The order was $60, so I was concerned about how long it would take to get the money. After my son was born (the next week) I texted the host and asked about payment. She told me the guest had cancelled her nail appointment, and she would get it in a few more days! UGH! Now, totally regretting using my own money, but not panicking.

After the host recieved her items I went to see her (she had some items for my mom who ordered through her show), and asked her about the guest's payment. She said she still didn't have it! OMG! I had to stop getting my nails done that same week because they don't allow children in the salon, and had no clue when the next time I would see her was.

Well life got in the way for awhile... LIKE A MONTH...It's now December what, and I still don't have payment. I've texted AND called her 3 or 4 times each, and she won't even respond now.

I had a gut instinct to NOT do that, to not submit the show without payment, and to just WAIT, put the pressure on the host and guest, but went against my better judgement. NEVER DO THAT! I've known these ppl, and trusted these people, but ultimately it's your business, and it wasn't just a $5 or $10 order, it was $60!

I have now posted a polite message on Facebook just stating I'm trying to get ahold of her, so let's see if that wrks, otherwise I'm just gonna pay a friendly visit to the salon lol.

For now - take a deep breath. I hope posting this was helpful to you! Sometimes it's nice to get it off your chest.

Since you're having trouble getting ahold of her, Facebook is a good place to post a simple message. Possibly mailing a quick note, yes it's 44 cents, but it's up to you to decided what ou want to do. I do agree, take a friendly visit to the salon. Just say you were having trouble contacting them and you really do need that money especially since you paid out of your own pocket to cover it.

For now ((hugs)). These situations can be tough and stressing!

So sorry this has happened to you! I myself have covered the payment on orders for a few but ONLY on shows that resulted from vendor events and are delivered to my address.

I would attempt to make one more contact, and just let her know that you don't want the "hassle" of filing a police report, but you will if need be. Give her a date "if I don't hear from you by Monday, I'm afraid I will have to." I'm using Monday as an example, but you can set whatever date you want. Good luck. I have a non-paying coworker too.

Who has the items? If she doesn't have them, I'd call in and return her items. Or is it past the 30 days already?

Get the products from the host and return them. Tell HO to refund you. I wouldn't bother trying to contact the guest anymore. Sounds like she has money problems.

I would do what Becca said. HO will refund you the money if you ship the products back. It won't make one lick of difference contacting her now. She's moved on and doesn't feel like she owes you anything. You now run the risk of alienating her by posting on FB.

I had a similar situation happen over Thanksgiving so I totally understand where you are coming from :) In the end the guest decided she couldn't afford the items anymore and didn't want them :( So I picked up the items from the host and shipped them back...ultimately I lost the $4.50 shipping..but that's better than the entire total :)

I learned from my upline to have all payments made to the Host. Then the host writes me one big check or uses their credit card for the whole show. This way they owe their friend or relative and not me. This helps with bounced checks also, they are less likely to bounce a check to their friends. The first time I did not do this and had chacks written to me one bounced, I will never do that again.

lalemom said:
I learned from my upline to have all payments made to the Host. Then the host writes me one big check or uses their credit card for the whole show. This way they owe their friend or relative and not me. This helps with bounced checks also, they are less likely to bounce a check to their friends. The first time I did not do this and had chacks written to me one bounced, I will never do that again.

I would rather deal with a bounced check from a customer than to have the whole show bounce. I have had a handful of bounced checks in 8 1/2 years and everyone of them made good with me - well except 1 but I had her product and for some reason my bank didn't charge me a fee that time so it was no loss to me.

I have gotten a bounced check from someone here too but I hadn't sent the product yet. She promised to send a MO including my bank fee but never did - so I still have what she wanted but am out the fee. No more personal checks will be accepted here by me anymore thanks to her.

lalemom said:

I agree with Beth, i'd rather deal with a NSF from a customer instead of a whole show. I've had a handful of NSF's and a few of them have been from the host for their order. My customers made the NSF's good, but i'm glad it was only for their order and not the entire show. I can handle a $60 NSF, but not a $600 NSF...

BethCooks4U said:
I would rather deal with a bounced check from a customer than to have the whole show bounce. I have had a handful of bounced checks in 8 1/2 years and everyone of them made good with me - well except 1 but I had her product and for some reason my bank didn't charge me a fee that time so it was no loss to me.

I have gotten a bounced check from someone here too but I hadn't sent the product yet. She promised to send a MO including my bank fee but never did - so I still have what she wanted but am out the fee. No more personal checks will be accepted here by me anymore thanks to her.

Malinda Klein said:
I agree with Beth, i'd rather deal with a NSF from a customer instead of a whole show. I've had a handful of NSF's and a few of them have been from the host for their order. My customers made the NSF's good, but i'm glad it was only for their order and not the entire show. I can handle a $60 NSF, but not a $600 NSF...

I totally agree with Beth & Malinda.

If the host's check bounces (and I did have that happen once - she'd deposited checks into their account, and her husband used the $$ to pay bills) and PC debits your account for that amount, that would be way worse than a smaller check bouncing.

I take one final payment from the host for her show, but I would never take a check for that huge amount. I only accept debit or credit card payments from my hosts.

debit is no different than a check. It is simply an electronic check. I have only had one check bounce and that was from the host. Thankfully it was a small order, but still... What a hassle!

lt1jane said:
debit is no different than a check. It is simply an electronic check. I have only had one check bounce and that was from the host. Thankfully it was a small order, but still... What a hassle!

Yes, but it gets run through the credit authorization like credit cards do and it'll be kicked back without a charge on you.

ShelbyMichalek said:
Yes, but it gets run through the credit authorization like credit cards do and it'll be kicked back without a charge on you.
Exactly - plus, you know when you close the show if there is an issue. My bank, for some reason, takes 14 days to refer bounced checks back to me. I can't hold a show for that long while I'm waiting to find out if the check has cleared, so I always have to submit before I know. I wish I could get more people to pay with debit or credit cards. I would say that 2/3 of my payments are checks - so I think I'm fortunate to have only had a handful that have bounced in the past 8 years.

I have started saying at every show "I prefer credit cards but take cash or checks made payable to me." I think it has made a difference as I've been getting a lot more credit/debit payments. By saying "check" last, it's implying that it's my least favorite form of payment. Some customers assume we pay the cc fees and think we prefer checks.

Becca_in_MD said:
I have started saying at every show "I prefer credit cards but take cash or checks made payable to me." I think it has made a difference as I've been getting a lot more credit/debit payments. By saying "check" last, it's implying that it's my least favorite form of payment. Some customers assume we pay the cc fees and think we prefer checks.

That's a good idea. I think I'll start saying this at my shows.

Update: Apparently my guest paid the host back in November (about a week after I asked her), and the host never told me! I contacted the guest myself who told me she paid over a month ago! WTH?! No wonder the host never contacted me back, she had my money the whole time!

I will hopefully get it next week when she's back from vacation. Live and learn, right?

Becca_in_MD said:

I say that I prefer cash and credit, but will also accept checks made out to me. Would LOVE it if everyone paid cash. Then I don't have to worry about authorization.

doughmama said:
I say that I prefer cash and credit, but will also accept checks made out to me. Would LOVE it if everyone paid cash. Then I don't have to worry about authorization.

I think I've had maybe one person ever pay cash at a party. I've had hosts pay me cash to close out a show, but it's rare for me to have a guest pay cash. Most people show up with just a checkbook because they are used to all the other DS parties out there where consultants prefer a check. I hate having to go to the bank altogether, so I really encourage people to just use the debit card instead of writing a check. When they whip out the check book, I say something like, "Would you like to use a debit card instead? It'll save you a check and it's actually easier for me. I don't get charged fees to run them and they are put through in a secure transaction--but a check is okay if you prefer." If all they have in their hand is a checkbook, then a check is what we'll do, but a lot of times people have their wallet and will happily whip out the debit card.

I despise having to make bank runs with toddlers in tow. I prefer the debit cards too. :D If there's an issue, I can let them know & get it resolved without having to worry about tracking them down over a bounced check. I've luckily only had ONE bounced check ever and it was a host! She ran to the ATM, got the cash for the check & the fee charged by the bank & came straight to my house. But I prefer to not deal with checks at all. I was actually shocked at how many like to pay cash. I have to carry a change bag to all my shows now.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could do auto payments from their bank...just type in the routing number and checking account...there are a lot of online places you can do that now. Most credit card machines do the same thing these days...lets you know if the check is good or not...and it automatically withdraws from the customers account. You still have to have the check with those machines...it scans them and then they give it back to you. We couldn't do that but maybe some day soon we could just type in the routing number and bank account number.

Sheila said:
I despise having to make bank runs with toddlers in tow. I prefer the debit cards too. :D If there's an issue, I can let them know & get it resolved without having to worry about tracking them down over a bounced check. I've luckily only had ONE bounced check ever and it was a host! She ran to the ATM, got the cash for the check & the fee charged by the bank & came straight to my house. But I prefer to not deal with checks at all. I was actually shocked at how many like to pay cash. I have to carry a change bag to all my shows now.

And I'm the opposite. I started out my business carrying change to my shows but never used it. If someone does want to pay cash, I tell them that we can round up to what they have or I can send them money back (or they can find someone in the room that has change). I've never had a problem with that approach. I would probably say I have about 50/50 for checks and debit. Sometimes I'll have all payments in checks and all payments in debit but it's usually a nice mix between the two. I've only had 4 check bounce in the 4 years I've been in business. 2 were people who called me before I even knew the check bounced and made arrangements to repay including the bounce check fee (one wouldn't even accept change from me, said it was for all my troubles!). 1 was my cousin - you know family! The last was the only one I really had problems with. Got it taken care of in the end though.

1. What is "Learning from My Mistake" about?

"Learning from My Mistake" is a personal story about the author's experience with trusting someone too much and the consequences that came with it. It explores themes of trust, betrayal, and learning to forgive oneself.

2. Is it a self-help book?

No, "Learning from My Mistake" is not a self-help book. While it does offer lessons and insights, it is primarily a memoir that shares the author's journey and reflections on a specific event in their life.

3. Who would benefit from reading this book?

This book could be beneficial for anyone who has struggled with trust issues, has been betrayed by someone they trusted, or is looking for a relatable and honest story about overcoming obstacles and learning from mistakes.

4. Is it appropriate for all ages?

The book does contain some mature themes and language, so it may not be suitable for younger readers. However, it ultimately depends on the individual and their personal values and beliefs.

5. Can I find recipes in this book since it's from Pampered Chef?

No, this book does not contain any recipes. It is a personal story and does not relate to the products or services offered by Pampered Chef.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pcchefjane
  • luvmypomeranian
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Jennie4PC
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies