• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Just Need to Vent - Consultant Care!

In summary, the host's husband was rude and inconsiderate, and the guests that did show up were late.
Cindycooks
Silver Member
:( How about this topic for a change. Had a really wierd experience at a kitchen show last night and I just need to know is it right for me to feel this way or not!!! First of all - I'm going back to August - my daughter got married so I pretty much took most of July and August off, soooo I did not earn the rolling cart, but I earned our other two pieces :). I'm only saying that to set the stage for last night. Had a great show turn out, and the host wanted me to bring as much stuff as possible, since this was more of an open house, 3 hour drop in sorta show. So I arrived at 6:15 with my red crate, the 2 show-to-go bags, two other crates, and my Big Bowl and basket, laptop, carafe with cider...All were packed and heavy. And it was cold outside. Ok so I walked in with my pocketbook and laptop, set those down, went back out, got a crate....back out again...are you following me? I must have made 7 or 8 trips all together in and out...WHILE THEY SAT THERE WATCHING ME!!! Then I sat everything out of course. did my 3 hours...took everything down. made the 2 recipes (tomato-basil squares & pumpkin spread)...nothing washed at all Loaded everything back up (and you know how packing it back up never seems to fit as well as when we pack it to go at home!)...again my 7 trips back and forth. All the while her husband sat on his butt in the dining room at the table talking to his sister about their stock trading and their boat and their coming up trip to Cancun. I had to maneuver the crates around them and squeeze by them behind their chairs and the wall! They wouldn't budge! The host just kept cleaning the kitchen. Should I have said something? I did say "excuse me" once when I bumped a chair. By the time I finally left I was so upset....almost more hurt than mad! What a jerk he was. I guess I just expect men to be gentleman. These people are in mid-40's and healthy. Nothing should have preventing them from helping me or at least having the courtesy to ask. I'm sorry - I just have never had a show when the host/husband was not courteous! The one good thing to come out of it was 2 bookings and $700 with 4 orders not in yet. Am I wrong to be upset...by today I've let it slide, but still can't help thinking about it!!!!! :confused:

Last edited:
I know how you feel, I had a host that was that lazy, I don't think she even sent out any invitations, she told the host of the show she booked off of to invite everyone that was at her show (the nerve). And I would stop by her house quite a few times took a month to finally get her show closed by then her phone was d/c and I had to call her mother who ended up getting 2 outside orders just so I could close the show and call it a show, she also sat on her rear the whole time just watching, she did ask her son to help me carry stuff in and out, and didn't bother to call and tell me that I had left something behind just told me after I finally got to talk to her at her mom's when I called that I left something there. I guess we will always find some lazy and inconsiderate people in our time out in the real world where it doesn't seem like anybody has manners any more.

I hear ya!I had a party today, I don't usually do parties on Saturdays (family day) but the host said this would be the best time for her family and friends to get together. I drove 45 mins out of town. When I pulled up, her husband was doing something in the driveway while he watched me carry two heavy loads from the car. Then, NONE of the guests came on time, I didn't start until an hour after I should have. We had to wait for one of the guests to pick up some of the ingredients that the host didn't get. Some guests showed up 2 hours late!!! The host said she had 15 yes RSVP's and 5 maybes. Well, 8 showed up and 3 didn't even place an order!!!! I was away from my family all day, drove out of town for a $275 show! Oh yes, to top it all off one of the guests told everyone how a couple of years ago she signed up just for the kit. She told everyone what a great deal it was and how nobody ever came after her for not doing any shows. :mad:

AHHHHHH! Good vent! :D

Kelly

Very Rarely...I very rarely get any offers from hosts or their husbands (who are usually gone or in hiding by the time I arrive anyway) to help me carry my crates. It's never bothered me, though, as I figure it's part of my job, but I do like it when I get the offer, and I love it when they insist after I say, "Thanks for the offer, but I can get it".

The other night I had a host's husband, who was still at work when I arrived, come home with chocolate shakes for the family, and was thoughtful enough to buy one for me :D

Diane

I guess I'm old fashion when it comes to things like that. I just think a man should offer to help a woman who's carrying something that's obviously heavy. All of my other host's and my host's husbands have been nothing but wonderful to me. I've also had really great parties lately, this one just happened to be not so great. Oh well, move on to the next one! :D

Kelly

Cindy,

I rarely see the husbands, and I always tell the hostess I can get it myself--unless she has come out to the car to meet/greet me, then I'll give her a lightweight bag.

Here's a thought, though. That husband may have a disability that you can't see, like my husband does. Although, my husband would have tried to help anyway, then spent the next few days in bed...

Just something to think about.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

I think sometimes that we expect people to act just like we would if we were the one hosting, not them. I have signed up to host a show, from a different company, in my home in a couple of months. I know I will have the house cleaned before the consultant comes and will not have her hang my new curtains for me (This actually happened to me - I actually hung the host's new curtains). I will offer to carry anything she may need help with. If for some reason my kids are still hanging around, I will make sure they stay out of the way. Basically, I will take what I have learned from doing parties in other people's homes and make the show as easy for the consultant as I can.

Ann - no he doesn't have a disability...they live around the corner and I know them well. He walks the dog everyday and they are big into water sports. It's not so much that they didn't help, it was more the fact that I had to squeeze between his chair and the wall with the crates and he didn't even bother to move the chair up! I could barely squeeze by! It was just a shocker is all....no big deal anymore.

Did I miss something...I thought that was our "job" to carry our products in and out of the house and not the host or their husband.

I would never let a host or their husband carry in and out my products. I knew when I signed the contract that I would need haul items around.

I think that it would be rude to expect the host or her husband to help carry YOUR products for you. That is not their job as a host. I thought the only obligation for the host was to invite as many people as possible and have the groceries ready.

Yes it is our job, but the offer is always appreciated. I never expect anyone to help and 99% of the time I turn down the help and say I can do it. But I think I would be bothered if the husband was in the way of you getting out and you were noticeably trying to get around him and he didn't offer at all. I think a true gentlemen would offer help.

Thank you Laura - that is all I was trying to say!

I'm 6 months pregnant and for the past 4 months I haven't had one host not offer to bring my crate in for me. I will ask them when I leave if they have a husband or older son who can carry it out for me. Otherwise it is not a good idea for me to carry anything so heavy out being so pregnant.

hmm...I think it's rude that he didn't move when he was obvioulsy in your way but I don't think it's rude at all that he didn't offer to help/carry anything. Maybe next time you could politely ask him if he could move or if there was another way you could get your things out? Maybe that would prompt him to get off his butt and make your life a little easier. I personally don't expect clients to help me carry my things for me. I'm 8 months pregnant and have my husband bring my stuff then come back and pick it up for me. After I have the baby I still have no intentions of having my clients help me with my things. If I can't carry it I won't bring it. That will help me get in shape and bring only a reasonable amount of product:)

I guess we all just have different ways of doing things.The way I was brought up was that men are to be gentlemen. Open doors, pull out chairs, lift heavy things. I do think it is rude that the man did not offer help in the setting you were in. Like I said, I always turn down help carry my PC stuff but any man with a smidge of common decency would offer.

Last edited:
I've had husbands offer to help me load up the car after a show. I think it's because they're ready for me to be gone!! (lol :) I usually accept because it will save me a trip, and by then, I'm ready to get home. I don't go in, however, with the expectation of my host or/and husband carrying my product. Yes, it's my job to bring the product in and out of the house, but I won't turn down help if it's late and my dirty dish tub is heavy.

Common courtesy seems to be a lost art for some people, whether it's not rsvp'ing to a party (pampered chef or even a birthday party), so nothing really surprises me anymore. How sad is that!

Jill Wright
Director, Benicia, CA
[email protected]
www.pamperedchef.biz/jillscooking

I Never Expect Them to Carry My Bags...But I never refuse if they offer. I fully expect to carry my own things in and out as part of my job. And if no one offers to do it, I don't get upset, but that very seldom happens. Maybe it's my 'silver' hair ;) . And I always graciously accept their help and thank them several times for helping. My back has given me enough trouble over the years (inherited that from my Dad)that I have spent a small fortune at my chiropractor's office, so I am not about to turn down help. I believe each person has to decide for themself what is right for them.

Ruth Mescher
Independent Kitchen Consultant
The Pampered Chef

Maybe it's what I drive...I also never expect the husbands to carry my stuff, but I usually accept the offer if it does come. I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a 6 inch lift, it's a big giant Jeep that impresses the men. When they see that, they almost always offer to help me, because they want to ask me about my Jeep. They always get a kick when I tell them that my Jeep is bigger than my hubby's! :D It's sometimes hard to heft my full crate and tool cart up to waist level to load it, and I'm usually drained after my shows....I think it's all that math! LOL!!

Need to vent about PCI may be the only one that feels this way but at this time I don't care. I'm fixing to stop selling Pampered Chef because of some issues first my dad's dying, second I've been reading the new rules for websites and other things posted on consultants corner that I'm not happy with. First of all, I think you should be allowed to do whatever you want with you PC website. After all you do pay a monthly or yearly fee for it. Second, I don't think that 50% of our shows should be counted for incentives and rewards, I think ALL of our shows should be counted. There's other stuff to I can't recall. But just letting off some steam.

pamperedchefmom said:
I may be the only one that feels this way but at this time I don't care. I'm fixing to stop selling Pampered Chef because of some issues first my dad's dying, second I've been reading the new rules for websites and other things posted on consultants corner that I'm not happy with. First of all, I think you should be allowed to do whatever you want with you PC website. After all you do pay a monthly or yearly fee for it. Second, I don't think that 50% of our shows should be counted for incentives and rewards, I think ALL of our shows should be counted. There's other stuff to I can't recall. But just letting off some steam.
What do you mean that only 50% of our shows should be counted.

From what I understand...Is that 50% of your sales needs to come from kitchen,catalog, etc. shows for the sales to qualify for the incentive trip. What it seems PC is trying to do is get consultants out there and networking more through kitchen shows.

It stinks for those who work fulltime and enjoy the independence and hassle free convience of their website for the individual orders.

I fully understand the frustration for all out there. I just hope everyone stays in it. It is a great company.

pamperedchefmom said:
I may be the only one that feels this way but at this time I don't care. I'm fixing to stop selling Pampered Chef because of some issues first my dad's dying, second I've been reading the new rules for websites and other things posted on consultants corner that I'm not happy with. First of all, I think you should be allowed to do whatever you want with you PC website. After all you do pay a monthly or yearly fee for it. Second, I don't think that 50% of our shows should be counted for incentives and rewards, I think ALL of our shows should be counted. There's other stuff to I can't recall. But just letting off some steam.
I think what they are saying is that all your kitchen shows will be used towards your incentive points but you have to have mostly kitchen shows then personal web orders if you look at other posts some of the people who were advertising on yahoo were getting tons of sales off the internet.
I am also sorry to hear about your dad.

I tend to agree with you about the website thing. I think if we are subscribing, we should be able to advertise it anyway we want. If people are choosing to advertise on Yahoo, they are obviously putting work into that, they should be able to reap the benefits. If others are choosing NOT to advertise that way, it's on them. Either way, PC gets the sales in the end.

However, PC supports their consultants in a way that no other Direct Sales Org. does. That being said, I can live with the constrictions they place on the websites because basically I love doing Kitchen shows anyway. There's something satisfying to me about people buying things and spending their hard earned money based on something I've told them or showed them about a certain product. For example, the last show I did, I really highlighted the Stoneware Bar Pan. It's one of my favorite items and it really does have a TON of uses. Well, I talked it up so much that I sold about 8 of them. That shows me that for the most part, people will buy whatever you want them to buy if you give them a good reason to do so. That's exciting to me.

And the PC products really ARE wonderful. For someone who loves to cook or someone who just isn't that into it, PC makes it easy and fun to be in the kitchen. I also don't think you'll find another company that stands behind their stuff the way PC does. I broke my Round stone a YEAR after I bought it (this was before I became a consultant) and PC replaced it - no questions asked. Try finding another company that will do that.

Still wanting to sell Pamp ChefI was gonna sell pamp chef products this past October. But i was misinformed. I didnt have the money upfront for my kit. So I am gonna wait till i can get the extra $100. to buy my kit. The first consultant i started to work with said i won a prize. But i never got it. And the sencond one brought me the paperwork kit right away. Anyway, I decided to wait and sell it later and gave the kit back. I still wish i could sell pamp chef. I am looking for a job, so if i get one, i will save up the money for my kit.

PampChefTracy71 said:
I was gonna sell pamp chef products this past October. But i was misinformed. I didnt have the money upfront for my kit. So I am gonna wait till i can get the extra $100. to buy my kit. The first consultant i started to work with said i won a prize. But i never got it. And the sencond one brought me the paperwork kit right away. Anyway, I decided to wait and sell it later and gave the kit back. I still wish i could sell pamp chef. I am looking for a job, so if i get one, i will save up the money for my kit.
Did your consultant not tell you that when you do a kitchen show you can use some of your free product toward your kit? i believe it is 20 and 40 dollars off the 90 I hope that you do decide to join it has been one of the best experiences i have had it has helped to pull me out of my shell. Good luck with everything :)

I agree with Christine. With that said, if anyone wants to know the new products email me at [email protected] and I'll send them to you. If the directors are sharing with us via email, I feel free to also share via that method :)

joining pamp chef
Jennie4PC said:
Did your consultant not tell you that when you do a kitchen show you can use some of your free product toward your kit? i believe it is 20 and 40 dollars off the 90 I hope that you do decide to join it has been one of the best experiences i have had it has helped to pull me out of my shell. Good luck with everything :)

Thank you so much! Yeah they said i could use what i make towards my kit and they wanted me to let them do a show at my house. But they would get the credit not me right?

You are right they would get the credit, but hopefully if you did that they would give you all the bookings that you got from the show instead of the consultant who did the show. I did do it with spending the 90 dollars then found 6 people to host the shows for me.

joining pamp chef
Jennie4PC said:
You are right they would get the credit, but hopefully if you did that they would give you all the bookings that you got from the show instead of the consultant who did the show. I did do it with spending the 90 dollars then found 6 people to host the shows for me.

Oh ok cool. One girl i talked to said she could come with me to do a show to show me how to do one and i could use some stuff from her kit. But i dont want to do a show at home. My hub is laid off and the kids could be here with him. That would work out too where she could have the party and i could get the bookings. ty for the replies. I really need advice on this. Hubby doesnt think i should try selling it again cuz we cant afford it. I was so excited about it the first time i wanted to sell it, then i changed my mind. I love cooking and baking and i think i would enjoy this and i wouldnt have to worry about putting my kids in daycare or worry about affording the daycare.

need to vent
luvs2sellit said:
What do you mean that only 50% of our shows should be counted.
If you go to consultants corner and read the update on web sites on the home page. You'll see it.

PampChefTracy71 Where are you in Ohio. I am also a Tracy and I live in Dayton.

When I wanted to start selling PC my hubby was not too happy about it, but then again he remembers when I tried to sell Longaberger Baskets. Ihad to explain to my husband why I thought I could make this work and I also had my recruiter and her husband talk with him about all the benefits. He is now much more supportive of my business.

You might want to have him talk with your recruiter, perhaps she can relieve his concerns.

Tracy

PamperedPrincess74 said:
I tend to agree with you about the website thing. I think if we are subscribing, we should be able to advertise it anyway we want. If people are choosing to advertise on Yahoo, they are obviously putting work into that, they should be able to reap the benefits. If others are choosing NOT to advertise that way, it's on them. Either way, PC gets the sales in the end.

Ok, I've had the website for awhile now and not much success but realize NEW things take time up here to catch on. I agree with Home Office about the NOT advertising on Yahoo etc.... Sure I'd like to do that but it does take away the personal touch of having a consultant etc... and for those who are just starting out or simply can't afford it it isn't fair. With being able to order online from someone not even associated to you at all takes away the personal touch we enjoy with our business.

Wanting to sellHi! Thanks for replying. My hubby did talk to 2 diff recruiters with me. The first one wasnt getting back in touch with me soon enough, but she had a day job too. We actually had a meeting and he went with me. I met her at the Stark County Fair last year and i recently remembered I was entered in a drawling and never got my gift worth $30. I won. I'll have to call her. I am from Massillon.

Misleading website namesOne day while googling I found one persons website that was .biz/theonlinecatalog or something like that. Pretty shrewd of her, but also misleading. Having a website address like that completely overrides the whole leads system, of which I'm not a part of yet. PC is a well known and well respected company and I know for a FACT that there are people who have signed up strictly to do internet sales. Can they get a lot of sales? Heck yes! Have a website address like "theonlinecatalog" and a ton of people using a search engine will end up there! It just doesn't seem fair. That being said, you can earn a trip somewhere around 65000 points right? Well, if I'm getting 30,000 in sales from my website...then I'll gladly pay for my own trip, because that is money for next to nothing!

janel kelly said:
I'm 6 months pregnant and for the past 4 months I haven't had one host not offer to bring my crate in for me. I will ask them when I leave if they have a husband or older son who can carry it out for me. Otherwise it is not a good idea for me to carry anything so heavy out being so pregnant.

As the consultant I wouldn't expect any help hauling my products to the host's house. Plus, if they dropped it, then I wouldn't want them to feel guilty.

If I had an offer, I probably would accept the help.

However, if I was pregnant, I might be bold enough to ask for assistance or give the host a head's up when the party is booked. :rolleyes:

UpsetI think you carry an awful lot to shows. I have 3 luggage from PC and that's it! One trip and I am done!

I don't expect anyone to help me.

Personally, I wouldn't be upset. But know, most do offer to help.

Hmmm. Do you really find it neccessary to carry all that to your shows? I used to carry a alot more than I do but found that people really did not look at them. They spend there time looking in the catalogs, eating , visiting and ordering. I take my big show to go tote, my briefcase , my turn around tote, and carry my stone. When you take all that stuff you spend alot of time loading and unloading , packing and repacking. I try to get in and out of my shows in 2.5hrs. Time is money :D

:p lol!! I think Julie and I both posted on the wrong thread. It was supposed to go to the thread about the show to go. Oh well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcsharon1
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Alanna1
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • raebates