• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is this the secret to successful Pampered Chef shows?

In summary, Laura offers standard cooking demos that are shorter than most, with a focus on the food portion of the demo and other demo while guests have their mouths occupied with food. She takes recipes, prepared food, small tools, and woven selections tray.
chefann
Gold Member
Good morning, all!

We had a meeting at my SD's house last night, and she had some of the FD's in the group doing presentations. One of my sister consultants (we share a Director), Laura, is like me in that she works FT and was to a point in her business that she really needed to make a plan, follow it, and start kicking hiney.

She started doing that, identifying show nights in her calendar, and creating a sense of urgency, mostly by tightening her show schedule. When someone wants to book a show, she can tell them, "I'd really love to mark you as a maybe, but I only have 2 dates left in July, so I need to get you on my calendar so you can have the month you want."

She also uses the DYLAB flyer. She points it out to the host when she's coaching, and has had hosts stand up at shows and tell the crowd, "I need someone to book an August show because I really want the knives." (Don't you love when hosts get the bookings for you?)

Recently, Laura booked a coworker, who she's been trying to book for 6 years. The coworker told her that she didn't want lots of cooking at the show. So Laura did a show with the food done ahead. (Note: Laura's not on CS, so she hasn't seen the threads by Rae and others who have been doing these shows.) Her "demo" that night was about 20 minutes. She got a bunch of bookings, and her sales were higher than usual.

Long story short, that's the show that Laura offers as her standard show now. She can tailor the demo to the crowd (newbies vs. been-there-done-that) and their attention span. She's been getting fantastic bookings, and her average has shot through the roof. Plus, she's been getting home earlier and having more time to herself. Laura shared that she had one $1200 show, and she was in her car ready to leave at 8:30 (7:00 show time).

Here are specifics.
Recipes (will change up some, but these are the standard 2 that she's been taking): 7-Layer Southwestern Salad (from the old salad cards), in trifle bowl and Chocolate Chip Cannoli Dip, served in SA with strawberries and vanilla wafers.
Food portion of demo: Tells guests what the recipes are; explains the features of the trifle bowl; decorates the dip with Cool Whip using EAD; talks a minute or 2 about SA
Other demo (while guests have mouths occupied with food): stoneware talk, cookware talk, go through tools in TTA
What she takes:
  • recipes, prepared (in soft-sided cooler)
  • Small Oval Baker
  • Exec Saute Pan
  • TTA with some tools (not overloaded): Food Chopper, 1 forged knife, Ice Cream Dipper, Citrus Press, some other top-selling small tools (mostly new items)
  • Woven Selections Tray (the one that fits the SA rect platter)
  • Dots towels
  • Small SS bowl from set
  • EAD with Cool Whip
  • Small bamboo spoon for dip
  • Chef's Tools Spoon for salad

That's it. One trip from the car. Fits on a card table. No oven needed.

So it's not just Rae who's having success with this type of show.

I think I'm going to start doing this myself.

Thats great! I was thinking about doing the same thing myself. I did a show with very little cooking, took about 20 minutes and did almost $800 in sales! Alot of the people there were very familiar with PC and I got a lot of compliments on who quickly it went. Something to consider...

Thanks for sharing Ann. I tried this a few times and never really got comfy with it. I'm going to have to give this a go again.

Thanks Ann! I would love to switch to this concept! I have recently been offering a choice of a few recipes, and that has helped tremendously! I would love to start doing both of the recipes ahead of time, I can imagine the amount of time that it would save... even if I was to bake the 2nd recipe at the host's house, and plan it to finish about 10 mins after the party starts! The only thing that I worry about with some parties is that some hosts/guests want to see the cooking... (same sort of idea as some hosts want to have a party, they don't want to do a catty show)

I really, really like this idea.I worked for another DS company for a while, and the recommendation I received was 2-2 1/2 hours TOPS. Hosts AND guests would appreciate it.I'm going to think really hard about making this MY format.... once I get some shows booked so I'm off the inactive list that is! ;)

My previous hospitality director used to do that regularly. I guess I need to give it a whirl again too. I am with you that I work full time and single mom so I need really focus on my time and get something done more consistently or really examine what I am doing with the business.

I love the concept and I think its more "in line" with what other DS companies do. I just don't know how to make the transition to doing it or become comfortable with it.

Like Linda, I have tried this...but couldn't get comfortable with it.....my demo isn't long - usually 20 minutes tops......but the 2 things I could never get over were:
1. "It's All About Me".....that's how I felt just standing up there talking.....I couldn't get any interaction going w/o showing the products and having guests use them. I felt like I was really sick of hearing my own voice by the end!
2. I LIKE doing the demo - maybe for the above reason....but also it's the educator in me - I really like demonstrating how the products work.....and how simple it is to create an appetizer, meal, or dessert quickly.

I get excited when I read the posts about this type of show......I am all for a shorter show time - but my show isn't really that long - it's all the talking after the show that gets me home so late some evenings! BUT I LOVE the idea of not carrying so much to shows - and not having a bunch of dirty dishes at the end of the evening!

I'm so torn!

I love the concept and I think its more "in line" with what other DS companies do. I just don't know how to make the transition to doing it or become comfortable with it.
I agree, I am SO used to the cooking demo...it is what I've always experienced as a guest for over 10 years and what I've done for the past 1 1/2 years and don't know how to go about switching. I would love to only make 1 trip from the car and not carry so much stuff. Plus I think it would help in recruiting...making it look really easy. I get so many "oh you have to carry so much stuff" responses that I wonder if I am in my own way as far as recruiting... I will try to switch my shows up....it makes more sense!

I try to do this at most shows. I still allow a host to choose that I prepare a recipe b/c some REALLY like that part of it. That's fine, but most choose the express show. Probably partly b/c no chance of mess in their home but mostly b/c they get food right away? Some worry about that (distractions) but it keeps their mouth busy while I'm talking and they aren't flipping through the catalog at first either. It is a time saver too b/c even though I'm spending time making the recipes at home, I'm packing and doing other things while it's baking.I suggest that everyone gives it a try. I love that I'm freer to chat with the guests b/c I'm not "distracted" by the recipe.

I try not to do all of the talking. We all have our list of things we try to talk about (hopefully the big lines) but I really try to get the guests involved. Who has and LOVES the (cookware)? Why do you love it and what do you make most in it? Anyone have a piece of cookware that you hate? And go on with a cookware talk. Same with the others. Usually there is someone who loves it and is happy to talk about it. If not, then you are ready with why you love it and asking, do you hate soaking and scrubbing your cookware instead of getting on with your night? So...you get it...lots of questions to get interaction. True, that doesn't always work, but I don't think a demo would help. You could do an air demo to if you'd like or bring a potato to show or let them play with tools.Sorry for the long post...avoiding getting anything done is SO fun!

Some of the benefits to this format that we discussed last night were:

- you can spend more time with the guests. Because the demo is short, you're less likely to get a line of people trying to check out. So you can actually talk to each of them for a few minutes.
- It's great for places where the space/facilities are limited. Like somplace there's no oven, on a deck, in a living room, etc.
- Some hosts are nervous about the mess. Especially if they've just had their kitchen redone. This way, their guests can see the new room without a mess all over it.

pckrissy said:
I get so many "oh you have to carry so much stuff" responses that I wonder if I am in my own way as far as recruiting... I

That is a HUGE red flag question! Talk to those people about the business!!!!!!

Oops- had to go do some actual work there for a minute (someone came by with a question about his resume).

Other benefits:
- makes the job look sooooo easy
- Because you're doing the food, you have control over the recipes and the ingredients (ever have a host buy the wrong thing?)
- You can talk about things you want to sell, rather than things that are featured in the recipe
- You can show up 10 minutes before show time and be ready on time.

I have a show about an hour away tonight & I am riding there with 2 friends, so my space is limited. Long story short-I packed one crate and a bag with catalogs and my laptop....this has got to be an easier way to go into someones home! I am having the guests make a dessert type tortatinni, so they will be busy playing with the tools while I talk about a few of the other product lines. I am planning to time myself, so I;ll let ya'll know tomotrrow how it goes!

I've had a really good response with this type of show. I've only had a few people who said they prefer a traditional make-the-recipe-in-front-of-everyone show.

I did have one person who told the host she'd attend the party, then asked if the same person [me] would be doing the show. When the host said yes, she said, "Oh, then I won't be there. I like it when they show how to make the recipe."

When the host told me about this, I told her that I could do a show like that if she wanted. She said, "No, she's stupid. I sell a lot more stuff with the kind of show you did last time."

Everyone is different (some of us more so than others), so I do offer a variety of shows.

Rae,

That's what Laura has found. She will do a "traditional" show, if the host requests it or EVERYONE who's there is new to PC.

I did like her point, too, that she can focus more on the guests because she's not worried about the specifics of assembling the recipe.

That's pretty funny that your host recognized the improvement in her sales, too. :)

Yeah, she told me that before she only had $200-300. With me, her shows have been $600+ and $700+.

Also, I think this fits in with what the HO keeps telling us--focus on the products, not the recipe.

ChefBeckyD said:
Like Linda, I have tried this...but couldn't get comfortable with it.....my demo isn't long - usually 20 minutes tops......but the 2 things I could never get over were:
1. "It's All About Me".....that's how I felt just standing up there talking.....I couldn't get any interaction going w/o showing the products and having guests use them. I felt like I was really sick of hearing my own voice by the end!
2. I LIKE doing the demo - maybe for the above reason....but also it's the educator in me - I really like demonstrating how the products work.....and how simple it is to create an appetizer, meal, or dessert quickly.

I get excited when I read the posts about this type of show......I am all for a shorter show time - but my show isn't really that long - it's all the talking after the show that gets me home so late some evenings! BUT I LOVE the idea of not carrying so much to shows - and not having a bunch of dirty dishes at the end of the evening!

I'm so torn!

I feel the same way! I like doing the demo, but also try to keep my shows short. I HATE having to carry in so much stuff though. Plus I'm five months pregnant now, so I can't carry too much at one time--many more loads now. I'd love one trip to the car.

Maybe I'll look through my recipes for one or two that I could just finish up (like the cannoli dip)--maybe some kind of dip for beer bread or something. That way I can kind of do a demo, but still not really! Hmmm....something to think about. I've been needing a change lately & maybe this is the right track to go!

Thanks, Ann for sharing your friend's info!

I would love to do this for my MIL's show next weekend! Do you have any recipe ideas for...brunch, ultra healthy (low cal, low cholesterol, etc), and maybe kinda gourmet?

How about a salad in the Trifle Bowl. Simple, healthy, and impressive to see.

That's what Laura's doing - it shows off the Trifle and is healthy. Plus she can do it the night before and stash it in her fridge.

My director is always saying "focus on the products, not the recipe"!
I stick to only a 5-6 recipes my hostess can choose from and they all can be easily prepared a head of time and very easily "topped off" at a party.

Rebeccascabinet said:
My director is always saying "focus on the products, not the recipe"!
I stick to only a 5-6 recipes my hostess can choose from and they all can be easily prepared a head of time and very easily "topped off" at a party.

Could you share some of the recipes you use for this? Thanks!

OOOHHH! Wonderful! I have always wondered what to take to express shows. Thanks!

I started offering a choice of either a traditional or no-cook show (thanks Rae, as I've been following your outline). Most take the no-cook, but right away, at the beginning of the show, I state, "Suzy has opted for a no-cook demo. I prepared the recipes ahead of time and we are going to focus on the new products. Now, if you're newer to PC, at your show, you may want to see some of the products in action, and I'm more than happy to demonstrate a recipe for you and YOUR guests. I also offer theme shows...." I get a good mix.

When I do the no-cook, my total presentation time isn't that much shorter, but it is actually more interactive than when I demo (I do the Have It/Love It game, and that gets people talking).

I do have a short thread hi-jack, and then we can return to our normally scheduled programming. For those of you that say your demo is 20 minutes, is that the time from when you introduce yourself to your last word, or is that after introductions, etc? No matter what style presentation I do, from the time I say, "Welcome to Suzy's PC show" to "Thanks again to all of you for coming. I hope you picked up a few new tips and enjoyed the show", it's always 50-60 minutes. I don't know how to cut it any shorter without compromising the product uses, host benefits, and recruiting commercial...

That's pretty standard for me, too, Diane. I do have one show for which the demo is only 20 minutes start to finish. I call it the Yak & Snack. I only talk about the very newest products and the specials (current & upcoming). I give out a couple of door prizes. That's it. It's sort of a cross between my Walk Through the Catalog and an Open House. It's popular with groups that are really familiar with PC.

dianevill said:
I started offering a choice of either a traditional or no-cook show (thanks Rae, as I've been following your outline). Most take the no-cook, but right away, at the beginning of the show, I state, "Suzy has opted for a no-cook demo. I prepared the recipes ahead of time and we are going to focus on the new products. Now, if you're newer to PC, at your show, you may want to see some of the products in action, and I'm more than happy to demonstrate a recipe for you and YOUR guests. I also offer theme shows...." I get a good mix.

When I do the no-cook, my total presentation time isn't that much shorter, but it is actually more interactive than when I demo (I do the Have It/Love It game, and that gets people talking).

I do have a short thread hi-jack, and then we can return to our normally scheduled programming. For those of you that say your demo is 20 minutes, is that the time from when you introduce yourself to your last word, or is that after introductions, etc? No matter what style presentation I do, from the time I say, "Welcome to Suzy's PC show" to "Thanks again to all of you for coming. I hope you picked up a few new tips and enjoyed the show", it's always 50-60 minutes. I don't know how to cut it any shorter without compromising the product uses, host benefits, and recruiting commercial...

I have found with a cooking demo, mine runs about the same time, and I don't always get to cover what I want. I am going to have to find that outline!

I have two shows next week and I am planning on doing a salad (Jerk Chicken) and the brownie trifle. I'm rethinking now and am planning on taking the salad done and just explaining what I did and what I used and then assembling the trifle in front of them... that only take about 10 minutes max. I think it will go really smoothly and is the best of both worlds... they get a little "demo" and I can focus on bookings and recruiting! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

finley1991 said:
I have two shows next week and I am planning on doing a salad (Jerk Chicken) and the brownie trifle. I'm rethinking now and am planning on taking the salad done and just explaining what I did and what I used and then assembling the trifle in front of them... that only take about 10 minutes max. I think it will go really smoothly and is the best of both worlds... they get a little "demo" and I can focus on bookings and recruiting! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

The only thing is that trifles really are better the next day!! Then the pudding (or whatever filling) has a little time to soak in to the brownie. I am doing 2 similar shows next week, but will bring the trifle done ahead of time. One wants the aloha pizza, so I will cook the chicken ahead of time..but do everything else there. The other wants the jerk chicken salad, so I will do the chicken and pasta ahead of time....but do everything else as the demo.

I bumped that thread, too. I have a couple of questions:

1) Would you mind going into a little more detail about what you say for bookings or whatever your commercial is? I don't expect you to do everything for me, but I think if I keep along the same integrity, I can make this work for me, too.

2) What kinds of things do you have noted in your catalog?

3) Everyone gets a kit with a catalog in it?

Does anyone ask about the order form?

AJPratt said:
I bumped that thread, too. I have a couple of questions:

1) Would you mind going into a little more detail about what you say for bookings or whatever your commercial is? I don't expect you to do everything for me, but I think if I keep along the same integrity, I can make this work for me, too.

2) What kinds of things do you have noted in your catalog?

3) Everyone gets a kit with a catalog in it?

Does anyone ask about the order form?

1) The guest asks, "What do I get for scheduling a fun night with my friends?"

I answer very enthusiastically, "I'm so glad you asked!(That part I do waaaay over the top, then wait for the inevitable laugh.) What you get is the easiest party you've ever hosted. Think about it. When you invite people over, you have to decide what you're going to feed them. No problem. I'll bring the food. You also have to decide how to entertain them. Tada! I'm the entertainment! Seriously, you get a kit with everything you need for a great party. Plus, once I've set up, I'll do everything I can to help you get ready. I prefer not to clean toilets or empty litter boxes, but other than that, I'm yours. End of commercial. Didn't __________ do a great job helping with the commercial?" [Applause]

2) Without getting the catalog out, I know I have the following notes:

Food chopper: I'm told we give away almost as many of these as we sell. Anyone want to guess why? [Field answers, most of them wrong.] It's one of the items that most of our hosts choose as part of their free products.

Pizza cutter: I have a friend who says this was short-changed when they named it the Pizza Cutter. She has twins. From the time they began eating table food, she's used it to cut everything--waffles, sandwiches, spaghetti. If it can be cut, she uses the Pizza Cutter.

Whenever there's an idea that strikes my fancy, I put a sticky note in the catalog. It stays there until I've got the idea set in my wee little brain, or until I decide that enough people know it that I can move on to something else.

3) Yes, everyone gets a kit. Since I'm walking them through the catalog, the kit includes a catalog. In order from front to back, it has:

3 x 5 card with my contact info
Door prize drawing slip (my own creation)
Current guest special on half sheet
Half sheet of colored paper for wish list/note paper
Catalog
Why Book a Show Tonight? flier

I don't usually get asked about the order form. When I see people looking through the kit, I say, "You may notice that there's no order form. That's because it's not time to shop yet. I promise I'll give you a chance to order once we're done with the fun stuff."

Every once in a while I'll get a guest who needs to leave early. I had that guest an order form but let everyone know that it's only because I feel sorry for him or her, since he/she will miss out on some of the fun.

Neat kit idea!!

I have really been trying to figure out ways to shorten shows, but not shortchange the shows. These are great ideas!! Thanks Rae!!

You're welcome. Most of my ideas are stolen, er, recylced or adapted from ones I get here.

Hi! Just checked back in. THANK YOU for all of that. I will be trying it out FOR SURE!!!

1. What is the secret to successful Pampered Chef shows?

The secret to successful Pampered Chef shows is to have a clear plan and follow it consistently. This may include identifying show nights in your calendar, creating a sense of urgency for bookings, and using tools like the DYLAB flyer to encourage hosts to book shows. Additionally, tailoring the demo to the specific crowd and their attention span can help keep the guests engaged and interested.

2. How can I create a sense of urgency for bookings?

You can create a sense of urgency for bookings by setting a limited number of available dates and letting potential hosts know that they need to book quickly in order to secure their desired date. You can also use tools like the DYLAB flyer to showcase current host benefits and motivate hosts to book a show as soon as possible.

3. What type of demo has been successful for other consultants?

Some consultants have had success with doing a shorter demo, with the food already prepared ahead of time. This allows for more time to showcase products and interact with guests, resulting in higher sales and more bookings. It is important to tailor the demo to the specific crowd and their attention span.

4. What should I bring to my show?

For this type of demo, it is recommended to bring recipes that are already prepared, a small selection of products, and some tools from the TTA. It is important to keep the setup simple and easily transportable, such as fitting on a card table.

5. How can I make my demo more engaging?

To make your demo more engaging, consider incorporating interactive elements such as having guests help with prep or using tools like the EAD to decorate food. You can also tailor the demo to the specific crowd and their interests, such as focusing on new products or top-selling items. Keeping the demo short and to the point also helps to keep guests engaged and interested.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • kcmckay