• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Strict Bed Rest the Answer for This Pregnant Mom?

In summary, Debbie is 33 weeks pregnant and went to her doctor's appointment. She was having contractions during the non-stress test and when she was checked, she was almost 2 centimeters dialated. Her doctor sent her to the hospital and she was hooked up to an IV and given fluids to hydrate her. Her doctor was hoping it was just dehydration and the contractions stopped, but they didn't. Debbie is not on strict bed rest, but is only allowed to do light activities like going to the bathroom and eating. Her husband is off Fridays and Saturdays, so she is worried about how her kids will be with four different people taking care of them during the evenings. Debbie is praying for a healthy baby and that her relationship with God
DebbieSAChef
Hello everyone,

Just wanted everyone to pray for my situation. I am 33 weeks 2 days pregnant today and went to my doctor's appt. It seems I was having contractions during my non stress test and when I was checked, I was almost 2 centimeters dialated so my doc sent me to the hospital. I was hooked up to an IV and given fluids to hydrate me. My doctor was hoping it was that I was just dehydrated and that's why I was having contractions. Sure enough, they stopped BUT....

I am not on strict bed rest until the baby comes. My doctor is hoping for 35-36 weeks. I usually deliver early, but not this early!! :eek:

Please pray that our friends and family will be able to help with our kids since I am not to do anything!! No changing diapers, no cooking or fixing meals except for myself, no laundry, no loading or unloading the dishwasher, no activity besides going to the bathroom and fixing myself food and snacks based on my gestational diabetes diet.

I have never been on bed rest before so it's going to take alot of will power to not do anything with four kids, a home and a husband to care for!! My husband is great and he told me he is happy to take over but he is working an evening shift from 3-11 each day Sunday through Thursday. I am going to miss my kids if they are shuffled around between friends and family in the evenings. :(
It's going to be hard for me right now, so please pray that my relationship with the Lord will strengthen and I will put my trust in Him 100%!! My husband is off Fridays and Saturdays so that will be great.
I will try to check in as much as possible to let everyone know how I am doing and if the baby is coming!!

Debbie :D

Oh Debbie! I know how difficult this will be! Just keep reminding yourself its for the health of the baby! I'll be praying for peace, and also for someone to actually be able to come stay w/ you & your kids in the evening, so that you won't have to be alone during this time!

You and your family are in my prayers. I was put on strict bed rest with my last child. I had pregnancy induced high blood pressure. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

However, my mom and husband were wonderful. I was told to look at it as an adventure for the two older boys. They got to spend extra time with Nana and Daddy.

Hang in there.

Hi Debbie,

I'll be thinking about you and praying for you. Wishing you all the best.

Go Spurs Go!
Summer

You'll be in my prayers. Are you a reader? You can always use this time to read to your little ones, read your Bible, read any classics you've always wanted to read, etc. I've never been in your situation, but I know that my recovery from abdominal surgery was made much more pleasant by my books and the wonderful friends who visited the library to pick up more for me.

Your in my prayers Debbie.

Thanks Ladies
SummerG said:
Hi Debbie,

I'll be thinking about you and praying for you. Wishing you all the best.

Go Spurs Go!
Summer

Thank you ladies for all the well wishes, prayers and advice!! I will definitely catch up on some reading and my journal.

I'll finally be able to watch the Spurs game in peace!! No kids running around!! ONE MORE WIN!!

Debbie,

I will pray for you and your baby. I agree to read! I don't know what you like to read but I love Nora Roberts! I have read many of her books. I just picked up a new author Debbie Macomber. She has a great series out that starts with Susannah's Daughter.

Of course I love the HP books, but if your not into that there are a ton of selling books too.

My upline director has us reading Jeffery Gitomer's Little Balck Book of Connections and Little Red Book of Selling. Plus Selling for Dummies.

Keep your chin up and I wish you well!

DebbieSAChef said:
Thank you ladies for all the well wishes, prayers and advice!! I will definitely catch up on some reading and my journal.

I'll finally be able to watch the Spurs game in peace!! No kids running around!! ONE MORE WIN!!

It is going to be a change from the routine, but keeping a positive attitude like this I'm sure will help tremendously!

Do you have a laptop/wireless internet? If not, have DH setup a desk for you right beside the bed or couch... you can chat with cheffers ALL DAY LONG! How lucky for you!!!!!:D

You and your family are in our prayers. I hope that a family member or friend are able to come and stay with you for some time. That way you won't be alone. If not, just think this is the quite you'll be looking for about 2-3 months from now. Remember the most important thing right now is keeping that baby in and keeping the both of you healthy and as happy as possible.

God bless!

You are in my prayers, Debbie.

Hi Debbie
thinking of you! I was put on bedrest with my twins at 23 weeks along!!! yeah right!!! I had a 7 year old, 4 year old and very active 2 year old at the time. But you do what you have to do for that baby! The kids will bounce back! And about those Spurs!!!! I'm a Cavs fan!!! Oh well, we're not lookin' too good, are we!!! ha ha
Maybe a miracle will happen for us up here in Cleveland on Thursday...besides, that gives you yet another game to watch from your bed!!!
take care
karlene reaser
director in Ohio

Prayers on the way!!

Take care of yourself and the baby Debbie. I hope your church will step up and help you guys with meals and stuff too. We do that at our church.

I hope the bed rest will help and not affect your gestational diabetes too much. Not being active may affect your insulin levels a bit. I hope not too much!

Take care!

I'm praying, Debbie! Maybe your friends and family will hang out at your house in the evenings, so you can have your kiddos close, those same friends/family can help with meals and lite housework and keep you company :)

Take advantage of the time - lift others in prayer, listen to music, listen to sermons by your favorite preachers. The Lord promises us that when we seek Him we find Him. If you really want to deepen your relationship with Him, meditate on Him - He will honor your wish.

Oh Debbie! I am so sorry! I will pray for you and your family! It is only a few more weeks even though it seems like forever... and remember that I was in your same situation at 33 weeks only to be induced at 38 weeks, LOL!

I recieved the card today when I checked my mail on the way to Walmart actually! I spent a ton of money wandering around the baby section and almost passed out when I checked out buying THREE different sizes of diapers. YIKES!

Good luck, and rest up now that you can!

Well, I guess that now that Gillian's baby has arrived, we can all start watching and waiting for Debbie's baby, huh?

Debbie, I hope it goes fast for you!! What sort of diet do you have to follow? Is is low-carb?

Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?

Best wishes!!
Paula

Debbie,
i will be praying for you. Both of my boys were delivered that early because of Preeclampsia. Just rest and do everything they tell you and put it in God's hands. My boys were swimming in their preemie clothes but very healthy. Did the doctor give you a steroid shot to develope the baby's lungs just in case delivery is sooner than later?

Paula R. Lewis said:
Well, I guess that now that Gillian's baby has arrived, we can all start watching and waiting for Debbie's baby, huh?

Debbie, I hope it goes fast for you!! What sort of diet do you have to follow? Is is low-carb?

Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl?

Best wishes!!
Paula

I am on a low carb diet. It is 2400 calories and all my meals are pretty much planned out for me. I even have a gestational diabetes type of booklet that lets me know what each serving can be.
Breakfast -
3 Bread servings
1 meat serving
1 milk serving
1 fat serving
Snack -
1 meat
1 bread
1 fruit

Like that. I just have to be creative because I get tired of eating the same thing each time. Big No-No's-
candy
soda
Mexican food
Chinese food
and of course limit carbs

I am having a boy and we decided on the name Daniel Jacob Mireles.

Shot
MGG said:
Debbie,
i will be praying for you. Both of my boys were delivered that early because of Preeclampsia. Just rest and do everything they tell you and put it in God's hands. My boys were swimming in their preemie clothes but very healthy. Did the doctor give you a steroid shot to develope the baby's lungs just in case delivery is sooner than later?

When my doctor sent me to the hospital for the IV she actually thought I might go into labor right then and there and said if we couldn't get the contractions to stop, she would have given me that shot. But they stopped and I went home, so we are just waiting now. I can hardly walk, I feel like this baby is going to fall out. They said drink lots of water, which I do, especially in this TX heat, but then it makes me have to go to the bathroom all the time!! :eek:
I am very uncomfortable, I think from all the NST tests, straps wrapped around my belly yesterday, the IV, and the exam to see if I was dialated. I feel like I just got beat up!! LOL

GILLIAN I am glad you got your gift!! I will definitely try to rest. I am trying not to go crazy. I see something that needs to be done around the house and I just keep telling myself
"Don't look at it, you can't do that, it's for the baby's sake!"
I am not used to this at all. It's very hard but I know the doctor knows best.

You're exactly right...it's for the baby!! Don't worry about those cobwebs, and such. Trust me. My baby girl is grown now, and guess what? I've still got cobwebs to deal with, just different ones. It was waaaayyy more important to take care of her than them...and they were quite willing to wait!!
<smile>

Debbie-- I hope the next few weeks fly by for you! I know it must be hard, especially since you have a family to think of, but everyone will do just fine, even if things don't get done your way! Can you tell I'm a control freak?!

Take care of you!

DebbieSAChef said:
I am on a low carb diet. It is 2400 calories and all my meals are pretty much planned out for me. I even have a gestational diabetes type of booklet that lets me know what each serving can be.
Breakfast -
3 Bread servings
1 meat serving
1 milk serving
1 fat serving
Snack -
1 meat
1 bread
1 fruit

Like that. I just have to be creative because I get tired of eating the same thing each time. Big No-No's-
candy
soda
Mexican food
Chinese food
and of course limit carbs

I am having a boy and we decided on the name Daniel Jacob Mireles.

WHAT????? You get 2400 calories????? NO FAIR!!!!!!!! I only got 1800 a day with both of my kids when I was a GD!!!! If I could find a smiley that was sticking his tongue out, I would attach it... but I can't find one right now, so, you'll just have to imagine me doing it! :)

Debbie, I am sending good thoughts your way! Enjoy the rest while you can! Your hands will be full soon!

Hi Debbie - I'm sending up my prayers for you too! With my son, I was put in the hospital for 5 days @ 33 weeks in order to keep him in! I was then on strict bedrest when I got home too. You can do it! You just have to remember what's best for him. Definitely lean on your family & church family during this time of need. That's what they are there for!! :)

Best wishes.
Crystal

ETA - we did have the steroid shot during that 5 days. He ended up staying put & wasn't delivered until 36 weeks & 5 days. He's now a healthy, happy (rambuncious!!!!) 17 month old little boy!

DebbieSAChef said:

Of course, I'm on here instead of being in bed sleeping and DH has the TV on watching the game (I personally could care less, but keeps him happy and not being crabby). Glad to know you can celebrate (although not too wildly) and have happy thoughts now that the Spurs have won. Although, I'm very disappointed in the fans who booed during the presentation of the trophy. I know they are upset that the other team didn't win (shows you how little I paid attention - don't even know who the other team is), but you still should show SOME respect and sportsman like conduct. One reason I really don't like professional or college sports.
But, I digress... you are supposed to be having happy thoughts... Spurs Won! Spurs Won!

Go Spurs Go!!!
katie0128 said:
Of course, I'm on here instead of being in bed sleeping and DH has the TV on watching the game (I personally could care less, but keeps him happy and not being crabby). Glad to know you can celebrate (although not too wildly) and have happy thoughts now that the Spurs have won. Although, I'm very disappointed in the fans who booed during the presentation of the trophy. I know they are upset that the other team didn't win (shows you how little I paid attention - don't even know who the other team is), but you still should show SOME respect and sportsman like conduct. One reason I really don't like professional or college sports.
But, I digress... you are supposed to be having happy thoughts... Spurs Won! Spurs Won!

I agree the fans were very immature and I was a little disappointed that they would show themselves that way after Lebron James and his team showed great sportsmanship and professional attitudes giving credit to the spurs.

I won't be heading downtown to celebrate, but I did sneak in a donut to celebrate!! :p

My doctor will understand!!! It's so quiet, my kids will be coming home soon. My husband is going to pick them up from our pastor's house, they have been watching our kids the past two days for us. Our church family has been great. Meals will start coming our way and the kids are already booked up the entire next week. My husband is off Friday and Saturday and he laughed because I told him I have the "honey do list" ready for him!!

GO SPURS GO!!

Yep 2400
katie0128 said:
WHAT????? You get 2400 calories????? NO FAIR!!!!!!!! I only got 1800 a day with both of my kids when I was a GD!!!! If I could find a smiley that was sticking his tongue out, I would attach it... but I can't find one right now, so, you'll just have to imagine me doing it! :)

I do get 2400 calories in my gd diet. Did you take insulin? I have to take four shots of insulin a day, so I thought that is why they gave me this type of diet. I also poke my finger 7 times a day to check my blood sugar level.
I am starving on this diet!! But then again I am spoiled and love my Mexican food, chinese food and buffets!!! I am not much of a dessert person but from time to time I do love pies, cheesecakes and other pastries!!

DebbieSAChef said:

I do get 2400 calories in my gd diet. Did you take insulin? I have to take four shots of insulin a day, so I thought that is why they gave me this type of diet. I also poke my finger 7 times a day to check my blood sugar level.
I am starving on this diet!! But then again I am spoiled and love my Mexican food, chinese food and buffets!!! I am not much of a dessert person but from time to time I do love pies, cheesecakes and other pastries!!

Yes!!! That is the smiley I was looking for!!! Same back at ya!
Oh, that's right, you also have to do insulin. I was really lucky and able to manage my GD by diet alone and didn't have to do the shots... maybe that explains the difference. But, I can't believe you are so hungry. I wasn't overly full, but I wasn't starving either. Oh well, only a few more weeks and then you'll be cured! (At least until the next baby...)

My prayers are with you.

I've been there with both of my children, but it was for most of both pregnanies. Having issues with trying to get pregnant because of medical issues and then keeping the pregnancies was trying. I know how stressful it is, but its good for the both of you. Take this time to get your rest and catch up on the small stuff. My thoughts and prayers are with you...

Hey Debbie!

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm praying for you today too! Hope the day goes well!

Just remember to take it one day at a time - no worries about tomorrow - HE is holding today and tomorrow in His Hands!

(((((((HUGS!)))))))

Thanks!!Thanks so much for all your prayers and wonderful encouragement.

I am 34 weeks today. My doctor said if we make it to 35 weeks that's alright, if we make it to 36 weeks that would be great!! So I hope I only have a week or two to go. I am 2 centimeters dialated and have only been having sporadic contractions. Maybe 2 in an hour!

This bedrest has been nice. I must admit I have had more time to pray, read my bible, organize my home with the help of my older kids, husband and friends. Tomorrow I am having a friend come over to deliver a meal and to help me with things. We should be having regular meals delivered regularly, and friends to come vacuum and mop for me.

My husband has been wonderful!!! He is so great. I had a huge "honey do" list for him this weekend and he got it all done:

Load dishwasher and wash the dishes (took two loads and my 9 year old daughter unloads)
Wash about 5 loads of clothes, dry them and have them put away with the kids helping.
Changing all the diapers!!!
Fixing the rails on a baby dresser I bought for the new baby.
Putting all my baby clothes away I had already washed but couldn't put away because the drawers weren't ready.
Set up the new pack n play bassinet I purchased
Moved the crib from our room to the playroom/nursery.
Washed all the kids bedding.
Packed my take to the hospital bag
Mowed the lawn
Fed the kids breakfast and lunch
Drove the kids to friends and family each day and picked them up after work!!

I love my husband so much. He has really stepped up, like I knew he would and he never complains. He says he loves me and he said he enjoys pampering me while I make a baby for our family. He's great and I am so happy! Thanks for all the words of encouragement. For Father's day I couldn't bake him his favorite chocolate cheesecake so I got a friend to pick up a Father's day photo cake with mine and the kids picture on it. We gave him the gifts we got for him. Gift certificates to half price books and eBay to purchase christian books, plus bookends. He loves that. I also got him a desk on craigslist so he can have some quiet time in our bedroom once we have our baby and that way he can study and pray more in private. He was excited and very happy! He deserves it!!

Debbie - glad to hear you're making it through this!

What thoughtful gifts for your hubby...

Aren't they great???

I found that they more I focus on meeting his needs and "spoiling" him the more he wants to do the same for me.

Continue to take care of yourself and the little one!

DebbieSAChef said:
Hello everyone,

Just wanted everyone to pray for my situation. I am 33 weeks 2 days pregnant today and went to my doctor's appt. It seems I was having contractions during my non stress test and when I was checked, I was almost 2 centimeters dialated so my doc sent me to the hospital. I was hooked up to an IV and given fluids to hydrate me. My doctor was hoping it was that I was just dehydrated and that's why I was having contractions. Sure enough, they stopped BUT....

I am not on strict bed rest until the baby comes. My doctor is hoping for 35-36 weeks. I usually deliver early, but not this early!! :eek:

Please pray that our friends and family will be able to help with our kids since I am not to do anything!! No changing diapers, no cooking or fixing meals except for myself, no laundry, no loading or unloading the dishwasher, no activity besides going to the bathroom and fixing myself food and snacks based on my gestational diabetes diet.

I have never been on bed rest before so it's going to take alot of will power to not do anything with four kids, a home and a husband to care for!! My husband is great and he told me he is happy to take over but he is working an evening shift from 3-11 each day Sunday through Thursday. I am going to miss my kids if they are shuffled around between friends and family in the evenings. :(
It's going to be hard for me right now, so please pray that my relationship with the Lord will strengthen and I will put my trust in Him 100%!! My husband is off Fridays and Saturdays so that will be great.
I will try to check in as much as possible to let everyone know how I am doing and if the baby is coming!!

(((((((((((((((((Debbie))))))))))))))))
Rest rest rest!!
Hang in there - we'll all be praying for you!

Thanks for the updates. You are definitely in our prayers. It's so wonderful to read your Christian witness, and how the Lord is providing the help you need from your family and friends. God bless all of you!

janetupnorth said:
I found that they more I focus on meeting his needs and "spoiling" him the more he wants to do the same for me.

Ah, one of the great secrets to a wonderful marriage. I talk to a lot of young people, and I always emphasize that marriage is not 50/50. If you're only planning to give 50%, you're cheating yourself and your spouse. When you give all you can, you inspire your spouse to give as much as he (or she) can.

Of course, choosing the right one helps. Looks like Janet, Debbie, several others, and I all chose well.

raebates said:
Ah, one of the great secrets to a wonderful marriage. I talk to a lot of young people, and I always emphasize that marriage is not 50/50. If you're only planning to give 50%, you're cheating yourself and your spouse. When you give all you can, you inspire your spouse to give as much as he (or she) can.

Of course, choosing the right one helps. Looks like Janet, Debbie, several others, and I all chose well.

I totally agree! I always tell people that I married "up".....I have to work hard to outdo my DH in giving - he is the most giving person I know, and it just seems to come naturally for him - he teaches me alot!

Debbie - I'll be praying that you hit that 36 week mark! According to my Dr, it makes all the difference! (my DS was born at just 36 weeks)

At every point in pregnancy, but especially toward the end, EVERY day makes a difference. It is so hard to imagine, but each and every day there is something happening is that little one's body that is preparing it even more to survive out here.

Think of it this way... if a recipe says to bake a cake (or a bun in the oven)for 40 minutes (see the L&D reference... aren't I so clever??) Anyway, if the recipe says 40 minutes, you need to bake it for 40 minutes. If you take it out after only 30, it might be partially done, but not completely. For each minute longer you leave it in, the cake becomes more edible. While your oven may take 38 minutes and mine the full 40, on average it will take most people 40 minutes to bake an edible cake.

Katie: That's a great way to relate.

Although, I'm sure KG will have a reference to eating the baby. LOL

There's a Simpsons episode with an "eating the baby" reference in the police station (a diorama of a druggie couple with a baby in a hoagie bun). :D

And when KG isn't around, Ann dutifully will step up to the plate and spin us into a completely different direction...

That is a great analogy Katie!

I am thinking of you Debbie and hope you will soon hold your mostly cooked baby, LOL! My doctor's had the same plan for me- get to 35 and everything will be perfect, get to 36 and they will be even better. Neither one of my 36 weekers had to be in the NICU or anything, and a few ladies in my birth club had 35 weekers that didn't need support either.

Try to keep busy and the days will fly by (most of the time, LOL!)

Thank you. I aim to please. :D

Someone's got to keep Debbie's spirits up. It might as well be all her CS friends!

Katie - that is a funny analogy - when my DS was born at 36 weeks, his pediatrician came in to check him over, and looked at the bottom of his feet and said "He looks fully baked to me!"

My oldest DS came out without the usual white icky stuff on him - he had NONE... the OB said, "looks like he was ready a few days ago"... apparently, that stuff starts to come off when the critter refuses to leave the oven when done... DS needed to be pulled out... he didn't want to leave!

Debbie,
I'm glad things are going so well for you, under the circumstances. You are truly a "trooper"!! What an inspiration for the rest of us. It is true, when you feel like complaining, just look around, and you're sure to find someone who's having it worse than you do!!

It is so wonderful to have a great husband, too, isn't it?? I know I wouldn't trade mine for anything else!!

Keep smiling!! Pretty soon you'll be smiling at a beautiful bundle, just like Gillian!!

Paula

Debbie: How are you doing?!

She looks great! She looks like she's got a little bowling ball under her shirt. Her house was spotless! She looked rather content! I saw her on Wednesday. I know she is anxious to have the baby, but she seems to be holding up well. She has a great support system around her.

Yes, GrandmaRita, she is truly an AWESOME witness! I've seen her "upset", but you would never know. She definitely lives the Word! I am blessed to know her.

I hope that you are doing well. It sounds like you are keeping yourself "busy" I can't imagine being on strict bedrest.

I am at 12 weeks now and have been placed on modified bedrest. Long story short, I started bleeding last week. The bleeding has stopped and the ultrasound shows that the baby is doing Great!!! I am hoping that I will not have to remain on modified bedrest for the remainder of this pregnancy.

The hardest part of this has to be not being there for my 2 1/2 year old. She doesn't understand why mommy can't give her a bath or put her to bed. Although she is being really good about it. Thank God I have my husband and mother to help me out with her.

Anyway, enough about me. I hope that you are doing well and will deliver your healthy baby soon. Best Wishes!

<h2>1. What is strict bed rest?</h2><p>Strict bed rest means staying in bed at all times, with limited movement and activity, in order to prevent any potential complications during pregnancy.</p><h2>2. Why would a pregnant mom be put on strict bed rest?</h2><p>Pregnant women may be put on strict bed rest if they are experiencing preterm labor, high blood pressure, or other pregnancy complications that could potentially harm the mother or baby.</p><h2>3. What activities are allowed on strict bed rest?</h2><p>On strict bed rest, pregnant moms are only allowed to get up to use the bathroom, shower, and fix meals for themselves. All other household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning, and caring for other children, should be avoided.</p><h2>4. How long will a pregnant mom typically be on strict bed rest?</h2><p>The length of time a pregnant mom will be on strict bed rest varies depending on the individual's situation. It could range from a few days to several weeks or even until the baby is born.</p><h2>5. What can a pregnant mom do to cope with being on strict bed rest?</h2><p>Some ways to cope with being on strict bed rest include staying connected with friends and family through phone calls or video chats, finding activities to do while in bed such as reading or listening to music, and seeking support from a therapist or support group. It's also important to follow your doctor's instructions and get plenty of rest.</p>

1. What is strict bed rest?

Strict bed rest means staying in bed at all times, with limited movement and activity, in order to prevent any potential complications during pregnancy.

2. Why would a pregnant mom be put on strict bed rest?

Pregnant women may be put on strict bed rest if they are experiencing preterm labor, high blood pressure, or other pregnancy complications that could potentially harm the mother or baby.

3. What activities are allowed on strict bed rest?

On strict bed rest, pregnant moms are only allowed to get up to use the bathroom, shower, and fix meals for themselves. All other household tasks, such as cooking, cleaning, and caring for other children, should be avoided.

4. How long will a pregnant mom typically be on strict bed rest?

The length of time a pregnant mom will be on strict bed rest varies depending on the individual's situation. It could range from a few days to several weeks or even until the baby is born.

5. What can a pregnant mom do to cope with being on strict bed rest?

Some ways to cope with being on strict bed rest include staying connected with friends and family through phone calls or video chats, finding activities to do while in bed such as reading or listening to music, and seeking support from a therapist or support group. It's also important to follow your doctor's instructions and get plenty of rest.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• whiteyteresa
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
legacypc46
  • DebbieSAChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
krzymomof4
  • DebbieSAChef