• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is My Husband's Vertigo Curable with a Simple Procedure?

In summary, Russell had his tests yesterday and unfortunately, he failed all four of them. The doctor diagnosed him with BPV, which is a version of vertigo with a 90% chance of cure. The recommended procedure is called "epley" and involves repositioning the rocks on the end of hair follicles in the ear, which have fallen off and caused his vertigo. He also has hearing loss in his left ear. However, the doctor believes that other symptoms may be affecting his test results and is doing an MRI to rule out a tumor or minears disease. The results of the MRI will also determine if the epley procedure successfully cured his other symptoms. The doctor reassured that the type of tumor he may
jrstephens
Hey! Russell had his tests yesterday. He failed all 4 of them. He has a version of vertigo, BPV. The Dr said that is the best kind to have b/c there is a 90% chance of a cure. They will do a procedure called “epley”. His vertigo is caused by “rocks” on the end of hair follicles in the ear. The rocks have fallen off and the procedure will take about 45 minutes in office to get the rocks back in the correct area of the ear.

He does have hearing loss in his left ear.

He failed two other tests but the Dr thinks other symptoms are making him fail those test and not that he has it but is doing an MRI to make sure. One of the test indicates he could have a tumor that is NOT cancer that is causing some of his problems. Another test indicates that he has minears disease which there is no cure for. It will cure itself but when it does you loose hearing in that ear. There is medicine to help it and you do a low sodium diet.

But the tumor and the minears disease the Dr personally does not think he has. The MRI will tell us about them and he said if the eplee cured other symptoms then he did not have minears disease. He goes back Oct 23rd, at 10 they will do the epley and at 100 the MRI and at 245 we will see the Dr for the results.

If there is a tumor the Dr said he would monitor it before recommending surgery. Do another MRI in 6 months. He said that type is VERY slow growing and he would not recommend surgery unless it was growing. He told us he could not stress enough to us that it did not mean cancer.

It was a whirl wind visit and so much to take in. You go in just thinking one thing could be wrong and come out with 4 failed tests! He said Russell was rare in that he failed all 4 of them. He thinks he has had the asymmetrical hearing loss in his left ear his entire life.

Please keep Russell in your prayers and on your church prayer list too!!!!

You know my prayers are with you both!!

Jennifer - sorry to hear you are going through all this with him. He will be in my prayers! Hearing loss is not fun, but there are many things you can do. Go to his visits, read the literature, make sure you follow advice for how to speak to him (not talking from other rooms, getting his attention so you know he hears you).

I understand the Rocks part I have the same problem.

I will pray for him a total healing as well as comfort for you and your children.

Jennifer, you and your DH are in my prayers.

I'll be praying.

Jennifer...I pray that everything goes smoothly for Russell! Prayers for strength and a sense of peace for BOTH of you through this time!

I'll be praying Jennifer.

lifting you & Russell up in prayer jennifer!

Praying for your family.

Bumping for prayers.

We go for Russell's epley and the MRI tomorrow and then to meet with the Dr to find out the results.

Prayers for a good night's sleep for both of you tonight, and for positive answers tomorrow!

Jennifer...I am saying prayers for your family and the wisdom of Russells Doc.

I am interested in his symptoms as I have had 2 bouts of Vertigo in the last 5 months and it is awful. I went to the dr the first time it happened and they said it was typical vertigo (explained the crystal thing) but I didn't go this last time...just laid in bed and cried = )

I'm praying for yall. Keep us posted. I hope they figured it all out and get him back to normal.

jrstephens said:
Hey! Russell had his tests yesterday. He failed all 4 of them. He has a version of vertigo, BPV. The Dr said that is the best kind to have b/c there is a 90% chance of a cure. They will do a procedure called “epley”. His vertigo is caused by “rocks” on the end of hair follicles in the ear. The rocks have fallen off and the procedure will take about 45 minutes in office to get the rocks back in the correct area of the ear.

He does have hearing loss in his left ear.

He failed two other tests but the Dr thinks other symptoms are making him fail those test and not that he has it but is doing an MRI to make sure. One of the test indicates he could have a tumor that is NOT cancer that is causing some of his problems. Another test indicates that he has minears disease which there is no cure for. It will cure itself but when it does you loose hearing in that ear. There is medicine to help it and you do a low sodium diet.

But the tumor and the minears disease the Dr personally does not think he has. The MRI will tell us about them and he said if the eplee cured other symptoms then he did not have minears disease. He goes back Oct 23rd, at 10 they will do the epley and at 100 the MRI and at 245 we will see the Dr for the results.

If there is a tumor the Dr said he would monitor it before recommending surgery. Do another MRI in 6 months. He said that type is VERY slow growing and he would not recommend surgery unless it was growing. He told us he could not stress enough to us that it did not mean cancer.

It was a whirl wind visit and so much to take in. You go in just thinking one thing could be wrong and come out with 4 failed tests! He said Russell was rare in that he failed all 4 of them. He thinks he has had the asymmetrical hearing loss in his left ear his entire life.

Please keep Russell in your prayers and on your church prayer list too!!!!

Jennifer, I'm praying today! Please let us know how his tests go! :)

Hugs!!!

I was diagnosed with Meneare's Disease in 1977. I do have about a 30% hearing loss in my left ear. The hard thing about it that if someone is facing away from me, I only hear a mumble. At the time it was diagnosed, I was taken off salt and caffeine! In 1977, the choices for caffine-free drinks were slim and yucky! One thing easy to forget that contains caffine is chcolate! I have been in remission for years and it only gets bad if I take the flu! I try to get the flu shots to avoid it because it makes me twice as bad. Back then the only test they had was to run water into your ear. If you got very dizzy, then you had Meneare's! It was awful!

I will keep him in my prayers! I know it is not fun!

Hi Jennifer,

I missed this thread the first time around- sorry! Wanted to let you know that I was diagnosed w/ Meniere's Disease in 1997 and have had a procedure that helped tremendously- it's called the Silverstein MicroWick procedure- I had it in 1999 and my bouts of vertigo are now not dibilitating (I used to loose at least 5 hrs or so vomiting and lying in bed at least once or twice a month). Now I just feel a bit woozy for a day or so. I do have at least 50% hearing loss in my L ear in low tone frequencies (the key to the Meniere's diagnosis- high tone loss is not associated w/ it). I'm three years overdue for a hearing test!

Please feel free to email me for more info at [email protected]

I know how frustrating and worrisome this whole process can be- I was told at one point that there was nothing left to do, then my Mom saw a report on TV about a Dr in Sarasota performing this new procedure- it changed my life! I no longer have to worry about getting an attack at any given time. Don't give up hope for answers- I'll be praying for you and your husband.

We got the Eply and MRI done. I am suppose to call late tomorrow afternoon for the results of the MRI.

For 48 hours after the eply he can only turn his head side to side. He has to sleep in the recliner tonight. There is NO jumping up and down at the ballgame tomorrow night - please PRAY for that! He said right now the dizziness is better but the ringing of his ear and fullness in his ears are not better. I am assuming that it takes 48 hours for the full effects since he cannot do certain things until after 48 hours.

We ended up doing the epley at 3 instead of 10 b/c they said he could lay in the MRI after the epley. They said it was rare for someone to fail all 4 test and they did not realize how the scheduling needed to be, HA!! So, we had to kill 3 hours in Mobile.

I will let yall know when I hear from the MRI tomorrow.

Thanks for your prayers! I may have more questions and concerns after tomorrow.

Jennifer, you and your family are in my prayers.

Russell does NOT have a tumor!! Praise the Lord!!!!!! Thanks for your prayers.

He said he had not been dizzy tonigh tbut his ears were still ringing. The nurse said to give that until Tuesday to clear up. So, keep the prayers coming.

jrstephens said:
Russell does NOT have a tumor!! Praise the Lord!!!!!! Thanks for your prayers.

He said he had not been dizzy tonigh tbut his ears were still ringing. The nurse said to give that until Tuesday to clear up. So, keep the prayers coming.

Whoo-hoo!!!

Thinking of you and Russell and hope that he feels better each day.

Yeah! I'll continue praying for a full recovery.

God is good...all the time. So glad to hear your good news!!!

1. How can I request prayers for my husband?

To request prayers for your husband, you can reach out to your local church, family and friends, or online prayer groups. You can also submit a request on our Pampered Chef prayer board where our community can join in prayer for your husband.

2. How long will my prayer request for my husband stay on the prayer board?

Your prayer request will remain on the prayer board for 30 days. After that, it will be removed to make room for new requests. However, you can always resubmit your request if you would like to continue receiving prayers for your husband.

3. Can I include personal details about my husband in the prayer request?

We understand that each prayer request is unique and personal. You can choose to include as much or as little information about your husband as you feel comfortable with. However, please keep in mind that the prayer board is a public platform, so we recommend not sharing any sensitive information.

4. Will my husband's name be included in the prayers?

Yes, if you choose to include your husband's name in the prayer request, our community will pray for him by name. However, you can also choose to keep his name anonymous if you prefer.

5. Can I request specific prayers for my husband's needs?

Yes, you can request specific prayers for your husband's needs. Our community will pray for whatever specific request you have, whether it be for healing, guidance, or any other intention. We believe in the power of prayer and will lift up your husband's needs to God.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Ann F
Replies