• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Surviving a Kitchen Mishap: My Experience with the Forged Cutlery Club

Dr. just told me to take Tylenol for the pain. The knife also pushed my ring and made a dent in it, but I quickly removed it to prevent swelling. It's a good thing my daughter is enjoying playing "doctor" and taking care of me. In summary, Diane, a member of the "Sliced by the Forged Cutlery" club, accidentally cut her four fingers while storing her bread knife. She was able to avoid stitches on her pinkie but needed four stitches on her ring finger. The injury is right at the base of her hand and finger, making it difficult for her to use her right hand, and to make matters worse, her family is all sick
dianevill
Gold Member
"Sliced by the Forged Cutlery" club.

This morning I was putting away my bread knife. I store my knives above the stove so that the kids won't get them, and the knife slipped out of the sleeve and down the fingers of my right hand. All 4 fingers were cut. The index and middle fingers were mildly hit (like paper cuts), but the ring and pinkie didn't fare so well. A trip to the dr. confirmed it. I was able to avoid stitches on the pinkie (dr. said he could do stitches but the outcome would have looked the same as without stitches). I did need 4 stitches on my ring finger. The bad part is that the injury is right at the base of my hand and finger, so I can't bend my hand very well (and I'm a rightie). To top it off, DH, DS and I are all sick as dogs with the flu-like virus, and my DD has a Carolyn-ear going on. I was hoping we could get a 4 for the price of 1 deal at the Urgent Care clinic, but no such luck.;) .

Now that the anesthetic has worn off, it hurts like he**! Dr. just told me to take Tylenol; I'm taking the stuff that's for severe cold symptoms, as I have all that stuff going on as well a messed up back from shoveling Friday, and the Tylenol hasn't touched a thing. This is just miserable.

This is the first time I've ever had to go to the doctor for an injury, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Just looking for a sympathetic ear, as my husband's ear isn't working. It's all stuffed up - LOL!

Oh Diane! I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you heal quickly and everyone in your family gets well soon! Hopefully you are all getting everything out of the way and the rest of the year will be a healthy one for all of you!

Lisa

I have trouble with the sleeves stying on too. I'm surprised I haven't cut myself. Sorry, you're in pain with a sick family to boot.

Oooooohhhhhh......I bet that did hurt like he**!! Sorry, I hope you can get some rest and maybe you will feel better in the morning!!!!

Oh geez, Diane!! I hope everything heals well. That's been one of my fears...that I'll grab the knives wrong and the sleeve will slip off. My only "occupational injuries" have been with the knives. Luckily nothing too major.

Heal quickly!!! That's a bummer that it's on your dominant hand!

Thank you all - the Tylenol has me wide awake, which is why I'm here with all of you instead of crashed!

I have to add, in case this bizarre method of slicing one's self ever happens to any of you. The slice on my ring finger was right above my ring (so the ring was between the cut and the base of my hand). The knife pushed my ring and actually made a dent in the ring. As soon as I was able to gather my wits I yanked my ring off (over the slice - ouch!). The doctor said that was the smartest thing I could have done because the swelling started almost immediately. So watch those rings!

This place is keeping us all in stitches.

We should start a tally on how many stitches our group has received due to various PC products. LOL!

My DD is having fun being my "doctor". I never realized what a great little care taker she is. Especially the after-appointment treats she gives me for being a good girl while she puts in the stitches. At least someone is entertained over here!

dianevill said:
"Sliced by the Forged Cutlery" club.

This morning I was putting away my bread knife. I store my knives above the stove so that the kids won't get them, and the knife slipped out of the sleeve and down the fingers of my right hand. All 4 fingers were cut. The index and middle fingers were mildly hit (like paper cuts), but the ring and pinkie didn't fare so well. A trip to the dr. confirmed it. I was able to avoid stitches on the pinkie (dr. said he could do stitches but the outcome would have looked the same as without stitches). I did need 4 stitches on my ring finger. The bad part is that the injury is right at the base of my hand and finger, so I can't bend my hand very well (and I'm a rightie). To top it off, DH, DS and I are all sick as dogs with the flu-like virus, and my DD has a Carolyn-ear going on. I was hoping we could get a 4 for the price of 1 deal at the Urgent Care clinic, but no such luck.;) .

Now that the anesthetic has worn off, it hurts like he**! Dr. just told me to take Tylenol; I'm taking the stuff that's for severe cold symptoms, as I have all that stuff going on as well a messed up back from shoveling Friday, and the Tylenol hasn't touched a thing. This is just miserable.

This is the first time I've ever had to go to the doctor for an injury, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Just looking for a sympathetic ear, as my husband's ear isn't working. It's all stuffed up - LOL!

Too funny...
Hey, you should send Jean De Vries a PM- her Doctors keep giving her Vicodin and it doesn't work- I'm sure she would share! :)

Sorry about the fingers and I pray they will heal fast, and your whole family will heal from their illness!

Ouch Diane! I know that has to hurt.....and then to have the whole family sick too - wow, do you have any floods, fires, or snowstorms in your area to add to the excitement?:eek: :p :eek:

A good friend of mine was telling me that they had to take their teenaged daughter into urgent care - she slice the side of her finger with the Apple Wedger.

The nurse at urgent care said "I'm taking my own informal poll - was this a Pampered Chef product?" When she found out it was, she said that almost all of the kitchen type cuts they see are from the apple wedger or the USG!:eek:

At least we know our products are sharp.

Ouch Diane. Sorry to hear of the cuts!

Another consultant I know cut her hand with the FG as well. The ER doc ended up going on and on about how incredibly clean a cut it was and how sharp the knife must have been.

Hmmmm, maybe I can incorporate a line at my shows about how sharp our products are....just ask any ER nurse!

leggy

Sorry to hear of your cuts! I hope you heal quickly, and feel better soon, too!!

legacypc46 said:
Ouch Diane. Sorry to hear of the cuts!

Another consultant I know cut her hand with the FG as well. The ER doc ended up going on and on about how incredibly clean a cut it was and how sharp the knife must have been.

Hmmmm, maybe I can incorporate a line at my shows about how sharp our products are....just ask any ER nurse!

leggy

I use this line in my show! I tell my customers about sharp knives making great cuts, easy to sew up if it happens. Dull knives? Ragged, nasty cuts. A nightmare to stitch. Gets a laugh every time. :angel:

Hope it heals soon!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Ouch Diane! I know that has to hurt.....and then to have the whole family sick too - wow, do you have any floods, fires, or snowstorms in your area to add to the excitement?:eek: :p :eek:

A good friend of mine was telling me that they had to take their teenaged daughter into urgent care - she slice the side of her finger with the Apple Wedger.

The nurse at urgent care said "I'm taking my own informal poll - was this a Pampered Chef product?" When she found out it was, she said that almost all of the kitchen type cuts they see are from the apple wedger or the USG!:eek:

At least we know our products are sharp.
"Why, yes it is! Here's a catalog - why should we have all the fun?"

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! Oh, Diane, I was cringing at the thought, while reading your post. I hope it heals quickly for you. I get so nervous when using knives (and the apple wedger). The cover for my chef's knife is very loose, and I am just waiting for the accident to happen with that one.

If you keep thinking about cutting yourself with that knife, sure enough, you're going to cut yourself. Think, instead, about the ease with which a sharp, high quality knife cuts your material and prevents accidents.

OUCH!! Soooooooo sorry to hear...:(

Ouch!!! Heal fast!!!

I had a customer at a show call the quik knives her $1000 knife - she cut her finger and needed surgery from it - cost her $1000 out of pocket for a 1.00 knife (before price increase!) I did sell a few that show!! LOL

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
"Why, yes it is! Here's a catalog - why should we have all the fun?"

KG- that is too funny! Diane~ hope it heals quickly!

PamperedDor said:
Ouch!!! Heal fast!!!

I had a customer at a show call the quik knives her $1000 knife - she cut her finger and needed surgery from it - cost her $1000 out of pocket for a 1.00 knife (before price increase!) I did sell a few that show!! LOL

It's called "Quikut" for a reason!

Thank you everyone for your care and concern (and laughs)!

I hate to say it, but it hurts soooo much more today! The doctor said, "By tomorrow it'll hurt like a small cut." Cut my butt! My whole hand is throbbing, and the site where I got a tetanus shot has ballooned and I can't lift that arm. And of course, this virus is just getting worse. All four of us have it now - my DD woke up with a fever, so she's headed down the road the rest of us are on.

Gotta laugh about it, though, because really, all in all, life could be a lot worse/challenging right now. Some of you are going through so much, that it makes this look like a walk in the park. My family will all recover and look back and laugh at how we spent our spring break.:D

Thanks again!

dianevill said:
To top it off, DH, DS and I are all sick as dogs with the flu-like virus, and my DD has a Carolyn-ear going on. I was hoping we could get a 4 for the price of 1 deal at the Urgent Care clinic, but no such luck.

<giggle>Carolyn-ear<giggle> You know it's not good when people start naming injuries and infections after you!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
The nurse at urgent care said "I'm taking my own informal poll - was this a Pampered Chef product?" When she found out it was, she said that almost all of the kitchen type cuts they see are from the apple wedger or the USG!

Next time, tell the ED RN that we at PC know they have a very difficult and underappreciated job... we are just provide them job security!

katie0128 said:
<giggle>Carolyn-ear<giggle> You know it's not good when people start naming injuries and infections after you!!!
katie0128 said:
Next time, tell the ED RN that we at PC know they have a very difficult and underappreciated job... we are just provide them job security!
Just tell them we speak Alphabet Soup.

Boy, Diane that really sounds :yuck: !!! I hope everything turns out okay for you. Nothing like being wounded...:) :) :) :)

Diane...OUCH! Hope you are feeling better today! Heal quick!

Ouch, Diane! Heal quickly!!

I thought of you , Diane, tonight, when I dropped the Chef's Knife onto the floor while doing my demo at a show. There were kids crawling around everywhere, too. I was so embarassed and relieved that there weren't any kids around me at that moment. The guests were all concerned about me and glad I didn't drop it on myself. I didn't even think of myself. I was thinking about how much trouble I'd be in if I dropped a Chef's knife on a child!

Hope you feel better soon.

Kitchen Diva said:
[/B]

Too funny...
Hey, you should send Jean De Vries a PM- her Doctors keep giving her Vicodin and it doesn't work- I'm sure she would share! :)

Sorry about the fingers and I pray they will heal fast, and your whole family will heal from their illness!

I totally would!!! :)

I think a glove is in order for your next show... oh yea, that's right... you are the one who thought they looked like... finger cots. Maybe a blue one? Sorry. Just wanted to remind you to smile. Hate to quote Steel Magnolias-- "laughter through tears is my favorite emotion!" Hang in there! You are loved!!

Diane...how is it feeling today?

Stephanie - I laughed at your post - I have my finger condom all ready for tomorrow night!

Kelly, thanks for asking - it's feeling a little better - it's really black and blue, though. I have to take the bandage off today. The doctor said to keep it off "whenever you're just sitting around". Ummm, hello, I'm a MOM! I don't sit around! LOL. I'm too chicken to take it off. OK, hold on, I'm going to do it right now...

Well, it looks pretty gross. It's really puffy. I have no idea if that's normal or not, but there's nothing gushing out, so that has to be a good sign, right?

I still have the flu, too. My fever's at 102.4, and today my daughter woke up with a fever. I feel really bad for the kids. This has got to be the worse spring break for them!

dianevill said:
Stephanie - I laughed at your post - I have my finger condom all ready for tomorrow night!

Kelly, thanks for asking - it's feeling a little better - it's really black and blue, though. I have to take the bandage off today. The doctor said to keep it off "whenever you're just sitting around". Ummm, hello, I'm a MOM! I don't sit around! LOL. I'm too chicken to take it off. OK, hold on, I'm going to do it right now...

Well, it looks pretty gross. It's really puffy. I have no idea if that's normal or not, but there's nothing gushing out,
so that has to be a good sign, right?

I still have the flu, too. My fever's at 102.4, and today my daughter woke up with a fever. I feel really bad for the kids. This has got to be the worse spring break for them!

Okay, I'm asking this for Carolyn...because I know she'd want to see....Pictures, please?

:D :D :D :yuck: :yuck: :D :D :D

Diane is it just puffy or is it red or have red streaks? Please take extra care of yourself... yikes!

Here ya go, Diane!

http://www.thecarvinggloveguy.com/item_images/WLH__A.wm.jpg

This glove is made of Kevlar® and leather - while not impossible to cut yourself, it does make it less likely.

You can get it from The Carving Glove Guy.

(I think they have chain mail gloves at The Woodworker's Store, too.)

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is great KG... I need to get to work! This one will keep me smiling all afternoon!

quiverfull7 said:
Diane is it just puffy or is it red or have red streaks? Please take extra care of yourself... yikes!

Just puffy. KG, thanks for the laugh!

OK, I'll go get the camera and snap a picture. Be back soon!

OUCH! I wouldn't be able to type!Take care!I've only gotten a paper cut by RESTING the utility knife and touching my finger!

Jean DeVries said:
I totally would!!! :)

I sensed you were a giver! I just knew you'd share yer giggle pills! :)

Say, Diane, I got an infection called Cellulitis from my last tetanus shot. I was on STRONG antibiotics for 14 days, then got 2 terrible yeast infections (sorry about the TMI) then as a result of these antibiotics- (which caused major hershey squirts, and I couldn't eat, and was so sick on them...) I developed Colitis which was a side effect and had to go on a different antibiotic, and other medications to rebuild the healthy bacteria in my digestive tract and tummy. I was ill for over 2.5 months from one stupid tetnus shot. My injection site got soooo red and hot and swollen. Each day it got bigger, and I felt really strange hours after the shot, and the ER doctor told me that they probably didn't clean my arm well enough with the alcohol swab, or she injected where she didn't wipe.

Anyway, if where you got your shot doesn't feel better soon, or the swelling or pain does not going away, call the doctor back.

Hope the hand is better!

Di_Can_Cook said:
OUCH! I wouldn't be able to type!

Take care!

I've only gotten a paper cut by RESTING the utility knife and touching my finger!

I have done that so many times! Lost quite a few tips of my finger nails, too!:yuck:

dianevill said:
Just puffy. KG, thanks for the laugh!

OK, I'll go get the camera and snap a picture. Be back soon!

Where did you go? You said you were running to get the camera and would be right back. Are you alright?

When I had my infection from my tetnus shot, the bump I got on my arm didn't have red streaks in it, like Quiverfull7 described but it was red, firm/hard and kept getting bigger, and it was almost purple towards the middle of the huge lump, and it was hot to the touch.

(edited to help KG keep his thoughts pure and innocent) ;)

Last edited:
Kitchen Diva said:
Where did you go? You said you were running to get the camera and would be right back. Are you alright?

I didn't have red streaks in mine, but it was red, hard and kept getting bigger, and it was almost purple towards the middle of the huge lump, and it was hot to the touch.
If someone comes into this thread in the middle, and reads that post on it's own, we're all gonna be in a lotta trouble.

I hope you feel better soon Diane!!

Sorry - I was having technical issues over here. Still down w/ the flu over here - I can tell I'm on the road to recovery, though, as I can actually walk up to stairs and not have to stop to take a nap at the top - LOL! I have a show tonight with 15 people, and I just don't have the energy to start getting ready. HELP!

OK, here's the picture. It's not the best, but it was a little difficult to take with one hand, and leftie at that, but you get the idea:

DianesStitches.jpg

Oh girl... OUCH!!!!!!!!!! That is just such a great visual to teach me to be more careful!
I pray it continues to heal very quickly. Have fun at your show... I hope it's a HUGE sales success and that you are given the strength to maintain through it!

quiverfull7 said:
Oh girl... OUCH!!!!!!!!!! That is just such a great visual to teach me to be more careful!
I pray it continues to heal very quickly. Have fun at your show... I hope it's a HUGE sales success and that you are given the strength to maintain through it!

Thank you, Diane! I made it through the show, but to be honest, I don't even remember it, it I was so out of it. Had to be pretty good, though, as I got 3 bookings and we closed last night at $865. Must be the sympathy factor!

1. What are some tips for preventing kitchen mishaps?

Some tips for preventing kitchen mishaps include always using proper safety techniques when handling sharp objects, keeping knives and other dangerous tools out of reach of children, and being aware of potential hazards in the kitchen such as wet floors or hot surfaces.

2. How can I properly store knives to prevent accidents?

To prevent accidents, knives should be stored in a safe and secure location, away from the reach of children. The best place to store knives is in a knife block or on a magnetic strip, as these options keep the blades covered and prevent them from falling out and causing harm.

3. What should I do if I experience a kitchen mishap?

If you experience a kitchen mishap, the first thing you should do is assess the severity of the injury and seek medical attention if necessary. If the injury is minor, clean the wound with soap and water and cover it with a bandage. Be sure to also take precautions to prevent further injuries, such as properly storing knives and using safety techniques when handling sharp objects.

4. How do I know if I need stitches for a cut?

If a cut is deep or long, it may require stitches to heal properly and prevent infection. It is best to seek medical attention for a professional evaluation and treatment. Signs that a cut may need stitches include excessive bleeding, jagged edges, and difficulty closing the wound.

5. What are some home remedies for pain relief after a kitchen mishap?

Some home remedies for pain relief after a kitchen mishap include applying a cold compress to reduce swelling and using over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. It is important to follow the instructions on the medication and consult a doctor if the pain persists or worsens.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
leftymac
Replies
Views
safariphoto
Replies
Views
kkimpinski
Replies
Views