• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Wash Your Hands and Cook Your Food!

In summary, doctors in Arizona found a worm in a woman's brain instead of a tumor. The worm was removed and the woman is healthy now.
PamperedCaniac
Oh My is all I can say!

FOXNews.com - It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead

Doctors in Arizona thought a Phoenix-area woman had a possible brain tumor, but it turned out there was something else penetrating her brain – a worm.

Rosemary Alvarez started experiencing numbness in her arm and blurred vision. She went to the emergency room twice and had a cat scan, but everything came up clear, MyFOXPhoenix.com reported.

Click here for a video.

It wasn’t until doctors took a closer look at an MRI that they discovered something very disturbing.

“Once we saw the MRI we realized this is something not good,” neurosurgeon, Dr. Peter Nakaji told the news station. “It's something down in her brain stem which is as deep in the brain as you can be.”

Alvarez was wheeled into surgery where Nakaji and his colleagues were expecting to remove a tumor, but they uncovered a worm instead.

On a video of the surgery, Nakaji can be heard chuckling after he made the discovery.

“I'm sure this is a very strange response for the people in the operating room,” he told MyFOXPhoenix.com. “But because I was so pleased to know that it wasn't going to be something terrible.”

Doctors removed the worm and don't believe Alvarez will have any lingering health problems. No one knows exactly where she picked up the worm –- doctors said worms can come from eating undercooked pork or spread by people who don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom, according to the report.

“It only takes one person who is spreading it constantly to get a lot of people exposed and some of those people are going to go on to develop this problem,” Nakaji said.

Alvarez, who is now healthy and has resumed normal activities such a playing ball with family in her backyard, said she hopes people learn this lesson from her story.

“Wash your hands, wash your hands,” she added.

:eek: :yuck: EEwwww!!! Worms?!!! :yuck:

OMG - sounds like a "third world country" thing....not there in the US! Gross!!!!

This was on the premiere episode of "House, M.D." -- I just saw it the other night on reruns... they thought it was a tumor because it was causing seizures and all sorts of problems but they couldn't find it on a scan.

I wish I could post a picture of the worm in every bathroom at work. It really grosses me out when people leave without washing their hands... and I even work in a HOSPITAL!!!

That is GROSSS!!! I just made my two boys, ages 10 and 11, watch the video. I always make them wash their hands when they come home from school. They pitch a fit about it, but after watching the video they both went to the bathroom to wash their hands!! YUCK

OMG, I think I am going to be sick! GROSS!

Not gonna' watch the video. I'l take your word for it. Yuck!

JAE said:
Not gonna' watch the video. I'l take your word for it. Yuck!

same here! My head is itching just reading about it!:yuck::yuck:

I showed my kids the video so they would really GET IT- about washing hands and it worked! I dont' have to remind them 1/2 as much! YUCK!

1. Why is it important to wash your hands before cooking?

Washing your hands before cooking is important because it helps to prevent the spread of bacteria and germs from your hands to the food you are preparing. This can help to prevent foodborne illnesses and keep you and your family safe.

2. How long should I wash my hands for before cooking?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water before cooking. This is roughly the length of time it takes to sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice.

3. Should I use hot or cold water to wash my hands before cooking?

It is recommended to use warm water when washing your hands before cooking. This temperature is most effective in removing dirt, oils, and bacteria from your hands.

4. What steps should I follow when washing my hands before cooking?

The CDC recommends the following steps for washing your hands before cooking: wet your hands with warm water, lather with soap, scrub all surfaces of your hands for at least 20 seconds, rinse with warm water, and dry with a clean towel or air dry.

5. Can I use hand sanitizer instead of washing my hands before cooking?

It is best to wash your hands with soap and water before cooking, but if it is not available, you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Make sure to use one that contains at least 60% alcohol and rub it all over your hands until they are dry.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
  • Kitchen2u
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen2u
  • pamperedpals