• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is a Black, Seasoned Layer on a Stone Normal?

In summary, the seasoning layer on cookware can scrape off due to using abrasive cleaning tools, high heat, or cooking acidic foods. To prevent this, it's best to avoid these factors and cook with low to medium heat. If the seasoning layer does scrape off, the cookware can still be used but may require more oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking. It's recommended to re-season cookware every 6-12 months, and the best way to do so is by applying a thin layer of oil and baking it in the oven at a low temperature for an hour. Specific instructions for your cookware type should be followed.
babywings76
Gold Member
I had a show the other night. We were thinking of using her round stone for something and she got it out for me. It looked incredibly well seasoned, almost black. It had some residual food on it, so I took it to the sink to clean it up real quick so we could use it. Well, as I was using the scraper, little black particles were chipping off. :eek: :confused: It was as if it was baked on residue, not really a seasoning layer. It was coming up just with hot water and my using the nylon pan scraper. I was nervous that I was going to be ruining her stone, I just stopped and rinsed it off. It was quite grimy. So was that not normal? Do you think it wasn't really a seasoning layer, but buildup of junk? I just felt like I could've scraped it all away, given enough time. I don't have a really old, well seasoned stone, so I don't know what it is really like to compare this to. Any thoughts? (We ended up using my bar pan that night)

Sounds like gunk, not seasoning. Blech. Good call using your stone instead.

Sounds like she doesn't clean her stone after each use??? It shouldn't feel yucky!

Mine is really dark (some parts almost black) and it's completely smooth. If stuff scrapes off, it's old food and oil.

Sounds like she doesn't clean it. Eww! She may have been under the impression that not using soap meant you don't even wash it at all.

1. What causes the seasoning layer to scrape off?

The seasoning layer can scrape off due to using abrasive cleaning tools, high heat, or cooking acidic foods.

2. How can I prevent the seasoning layer from scraping off?

To prevent the seasoning layer from scraping off, avoid using abrasive cleaning tools and cook with low to medium heat. Also, avoid cooking acidic foods for extended periods of time.

3. Can I still use my cookware if the seasoning layer is scraped off?

Yes, you can still use your cookware without the seasoning layer, but it may affect the non-stick properties and may require more oil or cooking spray to prevent sticking.

4. How often should I re-season my cookware?

It is recommended to re-season your cookware every 6-12 months, depending on usage and care. If you notice the seasoning layer has scraped off, it's a good indicator that it's time to re-season.

5. What is the best way to re-season my cookware?

The best way to re-season your cookware is to apply a thin layer of oil to the surface and bake it in the oven at a low temperature for an hour. Make sure to follow the specific instructions for your cookware type.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cape_PC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • Dotty
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • pamperedval