• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Smelly, Leaky, Grease Ridden Bar Pan

In summary, the author's bar pan from their kit is ruined. Twice, they cooked bacon in the pan and it leaked grease all over the stove. They have called HO for a replacement and are disappointed.
Dotty
Gold Member
Ugh. My bar pan from my kit is completely ruined. Per a suggestion for "perfect seasoning of my stoneware", I cooked bacon in it. Twice. I rinsed and scraped it in hot water afterwards and it looked okay.

However now, if I cook in it it DRIPS bacon grease onto the bottom of my stove. It did this when I made bacon and I didn't really think much of it. My cookies taste like bacon, the pan smells like bacon.

It is all VERY disgusting and I've called HO for a replacement.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did I do wrong by cooking bacon in it? I thought the stoneware was non-porous (or virtually so) and that bacon grease wouldn't be absorbed by the stone. This goes against everything I've ever heard or said about the stoneware. I am disappointed and nauseated and I would really like to know if this is my fault.

Thanks,

Personally I think that the stone has to be seasoned before using it for bacon. I would think a new stone would absorb the grease and then do as you describe. I am only guessing but it's been my observation that once the surface is smooth it has changed. I have only done bacon on seasoned bar and small bar pans and have not had that problem.

I think what Beth says makes sense. I always suggest people season stones either by brushing w/ a little oil or starting off with packaged biscuits/cresent rolls/ pizza dough/ cookies... anything that has a higher butter content.

I have not heard of a PC stone doing what yours did.. I've heard other brands that do, but not ours. I'd say it was a fluke and to season it a different way. THEN go at the bacon! I also put some parchment paper down first, it soaks up a little of the grease. Not all of it, but some.

Don't be too dissapointed. Stones are awesome!! Don't give up on them yet! LOL! :)

I'd throw a little dawn dishwashing liquid on it and see if some of the grease comes out. Then if you have to, bake a batch of crescent roll dough or biscuit dough on it just in case there is any soap residual and then throw them away (or give them to your dog, LOL). If that doesn't work, return it.

I have another bar pan that is fairly well seasoned. I have never tried bacon in it and don't plan to now. :p Note to self. Bacon is NOT the way to season a pan. Nancy,
I'm pretty sure that the grease is soaked all the way through the stone. There is no visible grease on the stone, but if I put it in the oven and heat it, it starts dripping grease. I'm going to return it.

I do bacon all the time in my LBP (without parchment paper), and it's never "leaked" grease. I've read about this happening to other pans, and it was discovered it had a hairline crack in it, and that's how grease leaked through.

leftymac said:
I do bacon all the time in my LBP (without parchment paper), and it's never "leaked" grease. I've read about this happening to other pans, and it was discovered it had a hairline crack in it, and that's how grease leaked through.
That's what I was just going to say! I've seasoned 3 bar pans (2 large, 1 med.) by doing bacon in them with no problem at all. I think there must be some other problem at work here.Oh - and I sell a TON of bar pans by talking about the bacon in the bar pan deal! I haven't had a dissatisfied customer yet - and they often will talk about it at shows they attend.

Same sentiments as Keith and Becky. My bar pan hasn't done that and I've seasoned 2 of them that way. Stoneware isn't supposed to absorb oil through it. Just on the surface. I love doing bacon in the bar pan. It's my absolute favorite way to have bacon. I did however have one of the rectangle stones that I used all the time for my cookies leak oil. I owned 2 of them and used them both equally. One of them after 2 years started leaking oil and had condensation on them, too, on the under side of the stone. And it was always the same exact circles as where the cookies were sitting on the top side. A lot of people told me that it probably had hairline cracks in it and that's why it did that. I got it replaced.

To echo the others... I often tell customers to season their new bar pans by cooking bacon... it works beautifully!

Agreeing with Becky and Keith. I have 2 large bar pans that get baconized regularly and they do not leak.

Thanks all, my confidence is mostly restored. I'm bummed about this pan, but hopefully they will give me a new one.

Question for you oven making bacon-ers... doesn't the bacon grease splatter all over your oven?

JackieB999 said:
Question for you oven making bacon-ers... doesn't the bacon grease splatter all over your oven?

Nope. Bacon doesn't splatter when you bake it - because it's an even temp. It only splatters when you fry it.
It also stays nice and straight and flat, and you never have to flip it. I wouldn't do bacon any other way.

I've cooked bacon in an edged cookie sheet for years, and I have been eager to try it with the bar pan, just haven't had a chance. I like it because it doesn't make a mess, in the oven or otherwise.I'm glad for this thread, because I would be horrified it what happened to Dotty happened to me, but now I will know the reason if it does.

Ok, now I want bacon. Darn all of you and your bacon-talk!

Man in the Kitchen said:
Ok, now I want bacon. Darn all of you and your bacon-talk!

Everything's better with bacon!:chef::thumbup:

ChefBeckyD said:
Everything's better with bacon!:chef::thumbup:

and butter...mmmm...

So I did a quick search for 'bacon' (I do that at every website I visit as a matter of course) and I haven't found the time and temp for doing bacon in the bar pan. How should I do it?

I cook it at 400 for 20 minutes. Sometimes it needs a little more time. But I think I've done it at 425, too. I actually use 2 large bar pans to do one pack of bacon. I don't like overlapping my bacon. :D

I do mine at 400 for 25 minutes - because I like it crispier. I also use a sheet of parchment under it to soak up some of the grease. I buy a specific brand of bacon (http://www.colemannatural.com/component/option,com_resource/Itemid,9/article,873/category_id,2/controller,article/), and it all fits in one bar pan. Probably with a different brand it wouldn't though.

ChefBeckyD said:
I do mine at 400 for 25 minutes - because I like it crispier. I also use a sheet of parchment under it to soak up some of the grease.

I buy a specific brand of bacon (http://www.colemannatural.com/component/option,com_resource/Itemid,9/article,873/category_id,2/controller,article/), and it all fits in one bar pan. Probably with a different brand it wouldn't though.

Crispier is better for sure! ;) I also find that sometimes even at 25 minutes it doesn't necessarily look crispy, but once I get it out of the pan and put it on towels to absorb all the excess grease, it ends up being perfectly crispy.

I tried using parchment paper once, but I thought it didn't really absorb that much and I still was looking at a ton of grease to dispose of. Maybe because I'm buying the store brand cheap-o and totally fat and bad for you bacon. :D

babywings76 said:
Crispier is better for sure! ;) I also find that sometimes even at 25 minutes it doesn't necessarily look crispy, but once I get it out of the pan and put it on towels to absorb all the excess grease, it ends up being perfectly crispy.I tried using parchment paper once, but I thought it didn't really absorb that much and I still was looking at a ton of grease to dispose of. Maybe because I'm buying the store brand cheap-o and totally fat and bad for you bacon. :D
Were you using the PC parchment? Because it's different than store-brand parchment, and doesn't have the coating on it - so it absorbs the grease better. (it's also less processed, so doesn't have all the chemicals in it)The brand I buy doesn't have any less fat....:)

ChefBeckyD said:
Were you using the PC parchment? Because it's different than store-brand parchment, and doesn't have the coating on it - so it absorbs the grease better. (it's also less processed, so doesn't have all the chemicals in it)

The brand I buy doesn't have any less fat....:)

We are always selling, aren't we? ;) [furiously adding PC Parchment to my next order...]

Yes, with the PC parchment paper I have very little grease in the pan. After the pan cools, I basically pull up the parchment with the grease on it and it goes straight in the trash. There may be some grease in the corners or sides of the pan where the parchment didn't hit. I haven't used another brand of parchment in a while, but I think it worked fine, too.

If it leaked, there was probably a hairline crack in it to begin with. I seasoned my bar pan this way. Didn't use parchment. Wish I had because the seasoning would have been even. Of course, I waited until it was cool to scrape out the grease and clean it.

Every stone I have had does start to get grease spots on the back right before they turn completly black. I know it kinda sounds strange, and I have heard others say that it isn't good, but I have two that are completly black (front and back) and have a color and feel similar to a teflon pan. They are completly black and you couldn't make something stick to them with glue. I have never had one leak or drip though. I do occasionally put a dab of dawn on the backside of them at this point b/c the back sometimes gets a little sticky.
I do bacon fairly regulartly on them, but have never had the problem that you are describing. I love my stones and would never discourage anyone from using them, unless they had back problems or something.

Man in the Kitchen said:
We are always selling, aren't we? ;) [furiously adding PC Parchment to my next order...]

Hey Man - there is some on the Outlet right now for cheap! I *think* the only difference is it's an old style box & logo.

I thought it was the PC parchment...but I could be mistaken. I'll just have to try it again I guess! ;) By the way, it's been a while since I bought parchment paper from PC, is the box designed any sturdier these days? The one I have didn't keep it's shape too well and it's next to impossible to use the lid of the box to hold firm against the bottom in order to tear the paper. I always end up with odd shaped rips or I grab my scissors to cut it.

I do 400 for about 20 minutes or until it's done to the crispiness that you desire.

babywings76 said:
I thought it was the PC parchment...but I could be mistaken. I'll just have to try it again I guess! ;) By the way, it's been a while since I bought parchment paper from PC, is the box designed any sturdier these days? The one I have didn't keep it's shape too well and it's next to impossible to use the lid of the box to hold firm against the bottom in order to tear the paper. I always end up with odd shaped rips or I grab my scissors to cut it.

Yeah, no - it's not any better. I end up taping mine all together with packing tap to reinforce it so I can use it. :(:rolleyes:

why did they do new parchment paper then? what's the difference?

lauriedip said:
why did they do new parchment paper then? what's the difference?
The logo & tag line changed - the box had to be updated to reflect the new one.

Y'all are way too funny! bacon bacon bacon! Anyhow, I am returning my stone to HO.

Dotty said:
Y'all are way too funny! bacon bacon bacon!

Anyhow, I am returning my stone to HO.

Ummm, yeah....I can be quite passionate about my bacon. :eek:

Sunday morning and I'm reading all about the bacon (I've often done it in the LBP with no parchment, turns out fine). I guess I'm off to the store!

I also tell my guest so season their fluted pan by making a meatloaf first. the grease from the ground beef seasons it.

Interesting thread! I wouldn't have thought of cooking bacon myself, but I went back to a file I got from here, "A Day in the Life of a Stoneware Bar Pan" and found this recipe:

Sweet & Salty Bacon
Lay a pound of bacon on the bar pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake 15-20 minutes until crispy on 400 degrees. This goes GREAT with French toast! You can also do this without the sugar the get crispy bacon with out the mess of frying!

There is also a bacon twists recipe somewhere in an old PC book. Coat each strip of bacon with brown sugar. Twist and bake. YUM!

Last edited:
Yes you have hairline cracks... had this happen to a host. I inspected it well and there were hairline cracks in the corners.Contact HO and they will replace it.

1. How do I properly season my stoneware to prevent it from becoming smelly, leaky, and covered in grease?

To properly season your stoneware, you should first wash it with warm water and a mild detergent. Then, place it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes to dry completely. Next, rub a thin layer of vegetable oil all over the stoneware and bake it for another 15 minutes. Repeat this process two more times. This will create a natural non-stick coating on your stoneware and help prevent it from becoming smelly, leaky, and covered in grease.

2. My bar pan from my Pampered Chef kit is completely ruined. Can I get a replacement?

Yes, if your bar pan is damaged or unusable, you can contact Pampered Chef's customer service for a replacement. Our customer service team is dedicated to providing excellent service and ensuring our customers are satisfied with their products.

3. Can I cook bacon in my stoneware bar pan?

Yes, you can cook bacon in your stoneware bar pan. However, it is important to properly season your stoneware before using it for the first time to prevent any issues with grease absorption.

4. My bar pan is dripping bacon grease onto the bottom of my stove. Is this normal?

No, this is not normal. If your stoneware is properly seasoned, it should not absorb grease and should not drip onto your stove. Please contact our customer service team for assistance with this issue.

5. My cookies taste like bacon and my bar pan smells like bacon. What should I do?

If your stoneware has absorbed the smell and taste of bacon, it may be best to replace it. However, you can also try re-seasoning your stoneware or using a baking soda and water paste to help remove the odor. If you continue to experience issues, please reach out to our customer service team for further assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• magentablue
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Hunter Mom
  • jesusluvsu2005
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • nickywsn