• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Inconsiderate Hosts....venting :(

In summary, the business rule for this month is that the host will not send out a packet until they receive the guest list. Two hosts this month have screwed this rule and cost the author $5 each. The author left a message for both of them and asks that they return the host packet or send the catalogs back.
pkd09
Silver Member
New business rule for me.....I will not send out a host packet until I receive the guest list! Two hosts this month have screwed me. I called both of them before I sent out their packet just to make sure the date was still good....they were. Now I am out $5 each in mailing the packet plus the catalogs and misc in a nice host envelope. I even enclosed a self addressed stamped envelope for them to return their guest list for me to mail out their invitations. How much more can I do for them ????? I called both of them repeatedly asking for their list or the status of the show date....of course no return call or email. HOW RUDE!!! Earlier in the year I had about 15 host packets and now I am down to 4....I am done! I have left my last message for both of them...as much as I love my business I do depending on the bookings and the income they generate. Please return the host packet back to me.

For those who read this thank you for allowing me to vent....feeling a little better.

LOL, vent away. We've all been burned by that.
I flat out tell potential hosts the catalogs cost me about $1 each and I'd like them back if they change their mind, because I'm all about being green & frugal.

I have started asking for either $5 back for the cost of the mailings or the catalogs back. About half of them have sent me the catalogs...I wish there was a way to "bill" them for it!!

Sorry that they got you so frustrated.And I have to ask ... why are you mailing host packets? If you can get away from that practice, you'll definitely save some money. In Japan, we are not allowed to use the military mail for business purposes. I started my business in March '08 and just mailed my first host packet last month (currently in TX) to a Catalog Host 3 hours away. I have 2 ONLINE shows going now, one in Japan & one in Germany. Everything was done via PC online invites & a Facebook event. Nothing was mailed to the host or the guests. If they are a booking at a show, they get their host packet on the spot. In Japan, if they called to say they wanted to host later it was easy, they were close & I could run by & drop it off or have them meet me 1/2 way if they were more than 15 min's away. Of course I have no idea where these hosts are originating, but if you are booking the shows in person at a show or booth, you should give them the packet right then & there so you are done with it. You'll free up more "work" time for more constructive work and/or make more play time for the family. ;)

Shelia, you don't mail your hosts any catalogs? Not even for the HOST? I only mail 3 books per host packet but I do use the flat rate shipping of $4.95. When I book at a show, I will give them catalogs, or if I'm near the area I will drop off, but what about HO leads? Referrals? I seldom do a show for someone who is less than 30 min from me- way too much time and gas to drive even halfway to meet them.

Pat I have started giving people the Planner (the one that we can get 15 free per supply order) and a sheet that helps them plan the guest list right away. I email them an address template and ask them to fill that out. When they return it, I send the host packet. This has worked out well for me.

I don't MAIL host packets. 99% of my hosts book at a show or at an event in which case I hand them a packet on the spot (vs. mailing it later). If they call later to book a show, I drop off a host packet (remember, small island and everyone's within 30 min's drive time) or meet them 1/2 way if they are at one of the further bases. On Okinawa, I was on the big central base where a lot of the shopping was located, so many times the far away hosts were coming to my base anyway & would just swing by my house & get the packet. Since moving back to TX, I've mailed ONE packet & currently have 2 fully online shows going with zero packets mailed. They are both military related & on overseas bases where all their local guests are already computer savvy and know how to shop online & order online. They were both trying to help me close by the end of the month & do a quick show, so there's no point in mailing packets since they'll arrive the last day or after the shows have closed (compliments of the military mail system). My upline is going to fully online packets. Where they give the links to the online catalog, the outside order forms, etc. all over e-mail to cut down on costs. They let the host print out the host specials, the guest specials and the outside order forms. I haven't done that yet ... but I might! :D

I try not to mail them but if they are an hour or more away I will do it ... call me lazy ... but I have found that the gas to drive 40 miles outweighs the cost of the mail.

That stinks .... and I too would ask that they be returned.

Sheila said:
I don't MAIL host packets. 99% of my hosts book at a show or at an event in which case I hand them a packet on the spot (vs. mailing it later). If they call later to book a show, I drop off a host packet (remember, small island and everyone's within 30 min's drive time) or meet them 1/2 way if they are at one of the further bases. On Okinawa, I was on the big central base where a lot of the shopping was located, so many times the far away hosts were coming to my base anyway & would just swing by my house & get the packet. Since moving back to TX, I've mailed ONE packet & currently have 2 fully online shows going with zero packets mailed. They are both military related & on overseas bases where all their local guests are already computer savvy and know how to shop online & order online. They were both trying to help me close by the end of the month & do a quick show, so there's no point in mailing packets since they'll arrive the last day or after the shows have closed (compliments of the military mail system). My upline is going to fully online packets. Where they give the links to the online catalog, the outside order forms, etc. all over e-mail to cut down on costs. They let the host print out the host specials, the guest specials and the outside order forms. I haven't done that yet ... but I might! :D

I think this experience is quite different than a lot of peoples. I also hand out most of my packets at shows - probably about 75%. But I do still have to mail host packets. I had to mail about 8 of them in Jan/Feb, because we didn't get our catalogs until about 2 weeks before the new season, and I had hosts who needed packets before then.
BUT - if I tried to do everything online like that, I would lose a TON of business. For instance, I have a hairdresser who is doing a catalog show right now. She is not doing anything online, but has asked for several catalogs, because she is taking orders from customers and fellow hairdressers at the salon where she works. That would be more the norm for my Catalog Shows. I've never had anyone do a totally online show, and I have many hosts who barely check or read email. Even younger hosts.
And then there are those who do book outside of a show, whether by referral, or by home office lead - or a past host who wants to book again. I have to mail those packets. When I do, it costs $4.95, but the $4.95 is cheaper than driving 60-90 miles round trip to drop off some catalogs! Many of my shows are that far away, and I am already driving that distance for shows 2-3 times a week. Don't really want to do it to drop off host packets too, and don't really have the time either.

ChefBeckyD said:
I think this experience is quite different than a lot of peoples. I also hand out most of my packets at shows - probably about 75%. But I do still have to mail host packets. I had to mail about 8 of them in Jan/Feb, because we didn't get our catalogs until about 2 weeks before the new season, and I had hosts who needed packets before then.
BUT - if I tried to do everything online like that, I would lose a TON of business. For instance, I have a hairdresser who is doing a catalog show right now. She is not doing anything online, but has asked for several catalogs, because she is taking orders from customers and fellow hairdressers at the salon where she works. That would be more the norm for my Catalog Shows. I've never had anyone do a totally online show, and I have many hosts who barely check or read email. Even younger hosts.
And then there are those who do book outside of a show, whether by referral, or by home office lead - or a past host who wants to book again. I have to mail those packets. When I do, it costs $4.95, but the $4.95 is cheaper than driving 60-90 miles round trip to drop off some catalogs! Many of my shows are that far away, and I am already driving that distance for shows 2-3 times a week. Don't really want to do it to drop off host packets too, and don't really have the time either.
Exactly. I could have written this!

BethCooks4U said:
Exactly. I could have written this!

Except that I what I wrote first is incorrect. I had to mail out those packets in February because I had people who BOOKED shows at shows in Jan & Feb, but didn't have catalogs or know the correct price for shipping until 2 weeks before March. So I had to wait until then to mail the packets to them. My goal is to hand out as many as possible at the show, so I was very frustrated when I had to spend the money to mail them.

My goal is actually to always have a full calendar from booking at the show, so that I don't have to make booking phone calls. :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Except that I what I wrote first is incorrect. I had to mail out those packets in February because I had people who BOOKED shows at shows in Jan & Feb, but didn't have catalogs or know the correct price for shipping until 2 weeks before March. So I had to wait until then to mail the packets to them. My goal is to hand out as many as possible at the show, so I was very frustrated when I had to spend the money to mail them.My goal is actually to always have a full calendar from booking at the show, so that I don't have to make booking phone calls. :D
Oh, I got that and I agree. I hope they never do that to us again. Hopefully they got the message loud and clear that we need them sooner, not later in the spring too. Reminds me that I need to get a supply order out so I can get the new receipts before Sept 1. I prefer to hand out the packets at my shows too but there are a lot of circumstances that warrant mailing. Now if I could just get those three August hosts that still need packets to call me back to verify their dates...

I really like the idea of giving them the planning guide with help to plan their guest list right away. That is a whole lot more cost effective in the long run. You will still have to mail the host packet once you receive the guest list but you will have their guest list in hand, which is part of the battle. If they send you nothing, you are out not very much money in comparison. I think I am going to start doing this.

I try to hand out my host packets at the show, although I booked several Spetember shows in July and didnt have the new catalogs so I was going to have to send them anyways. I send a majority of my host packets. It has been my experience that if I give them to the host too early they loose them which costs me more money in the end.

I have also found many hosts are considerate of you and your business, although we come across a few who just dont get that these things such as supplies and mailing stuff to them cost us money.

BethCooks4U said:
I hope they never do that to us again. Hopefully they got the message loud and clear that we need them sooner, not later in the spring too.

I don't quite think they got the message, did you see the dates for Spring Launch?

Saturday, January 28:
Atlanta (College Park), GA
Baltimore, MD
Charlotte, NC
Lexington, KY
Omaha, NE
Ontario, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Salt Lake City, UT
San Antonio, TX
Santa Clara, CA

Saturday, Feb 4
Arlington, TX
Biloxi, MS
Denver, CO
Hartford, CT
Milwaukee, WI
Portland, OR
St Louis, MO
St Paul, MN
Tampa, FL
Toledo, OH

This gives us ONE WEEK more than we had last year which is still short notice!! We get almost two months for Fall but only a couple weeks for spring!??!?!?!?! While this is better, it's not enough.

lt1jane said:
I don't quite think they got the message, did you see the dates for Spring Launch?

Saturday, January 28:
Atlanta (College Park), GA
Baltimore, MD
Charlotte, NC
Lexington, KY
Omaha, NE
Ontario, CA
Phoenix, AZ
Salt Lake City, UT
San Antonio, TX
Santa Clara, CA

Saturday, Feb 4
Arlington, TX
Biloxi, MS
Denver, CO
Hartford, CT
Milwaukee, WI
Portland, OR
St Louis, MO
St Paul, MN
Tampa, FL
Toledo, OH

This gives us ONE WEEK more than we had last year which is still short notice!! We get almost two months for Fall but only a couple weeks for spring!??!?!?!?! While this is better, it's not enough.

This is spring launch for 2012? I didn't even know we had that out yet, boy I need to get on the ball! LOL

it was posted at NC

I have never mailed host packets. Ever. I hand them out at shows or schedule a place to meet in person to review the packet. (note, I've never driven more than an hour to a show either) I find that I have better results this way. Before we meet, I determine who distributes the invitations. If I'm going to (which is my preference) I email the PDF provided by HO to my host and ask that they have it completed before we meet. I'll make up 5 extra invites to hand to my host when we meet. These are for her to carry around and hand out randomly. Anyone that hosts a show out of town is done strictly online. We usually make a Facebook event out of the out of town shows. I've only done two and they were 'so so' in terms of guest sales. I know that improving on my catalog shows is one of my goals this year.

Yes, there can definitely be exceptions when the host is quite a distance away or when it's a new season. For the original poster, the new season wasn't a factor for her two July shows. And she didn't say how far of a drive they are. If they are close, she could have hand delivered the packets & picked up the invitation list (another thing I've never done compliments of the military regulations - we can't mail the invites for the host either). Or, as I suggested, she could have handed the host the packet at the time of the booking if it was done face to face.The lesson I'm trying to convey is to work smarter, not harder. Everyone will encounter exceptions to the rule. I'm not negating that fact. But in the majority of instances, where there's a will to improve our methods, there IS a way ~ all of us can probably find ways to cut time and expense in our normal routine and still be just as productive ... but only if we are receptive to considering other options.I'll be the first to tell you that no ONE way is the right or wrong way. What works for one person might not work for another person. But when we are open to ideas and absorb what others are doing, we can then choose what works for us and discard what doesn't work for us. I don't like or do the "sit down & watch me be the teacher" cooking show demonstrations. But I know that others are VERY successful at that method.I didn't have the option to mail host packets or mail invitations for my hosts from when I started in March '08 until I evacuated Tokyo in March '11. For 3 years, I functioned just fine without doing that at all. I adapted to my situation and learned to do as much in person on the first contact vs. spending more time on followup later. That's what works for me. And by sharing that information, it might be the "ah ha" that someone else needs to work smarter, not harder. ;)That method still allowed me time to host coach (mostly by e-mail because the phone was a big challenge with little ones in the house), still pull fairly good attendance at my shows (usually around 12 or more), provided me an $880 Cooking Show average AND helped me to promote from C to AD in 17 months. Is it the right answer for everyone? No. It is possible that it could help at least one person reading this thread? Yup! :D

I haven't had the issue for awhile, but I call the host ( and get a 99.9% return call) when I tell her, I googled her address, know where she lives and will be there 30mins before show time. I hope she has guest there , that I will bring the ingredients and just charge her for them. You will get a return call.

LOL That's one way to get a response, huh? ;)

I am wondering what people have in their host packets and how they are made up. I use really nice folders with labels on the front asking that the folder be returned to be reused. In my experience, handing out packets at shows cost me more than mailing them because I would be handing them out and then not end up having the show. At least by mailing out the packet when I mail out the invitations, I know that show is happening. I include extra invites (mini cats) in the packet. Just a business tip though for the rest of you who do mail packets, you get a lower rate if you print your own postage. You can print on regular paper if you don't have labels and then either tape or glue it to the package. You also get free tracking if you print online. You can order priority envelopes and boxes be delivered to your home for free too. Finally if you cannot get to the post office, you can schedule a pick up for anything being sent priority mail.

angel7581 said:
I am wondering what people have in their host packets and how they are made up. I use really nice folders with labels on the front asking that the folder be returned to be reused.

In my experience, handing out packets at shows cost me more than mailing them because I would be handing them out and then not end up having the show. At least by mailing out the packet when I mail out the invitations, I know that show is happening. I include extra invites (mini cats) in the packet.

Just a business tip though for the rest of you who do mail packets, you get a lower rate if you print your own postage. You can print on regular paper if you don't have labels and then either tape or glue it to the package. You also get free tracking if you print online. You can order priority envelopes and boxes be delivered to your home for free too. Finally if you cannot get to the post office, you can schedule a pick up for anything being sent priority mail.

In the packets (a 2 pocket folder with a sticker with their show date and time and my info) I hand out at shows I have 3 catalogs, Season's Best, 2-3 minicatalogs with a blank invite lable, 2-3 blank postcard invites, 40 guests in 4 minutes worksheet, Frundraiser info, and DIscover Us. I only give those out to people who actually set a date at the show, not those who are potential bookings. When I mail it, i only do 1-2 catalogs and some OOF. I email the address labels and host/guest specials and OOD. Once I get the addresses I mail them the planning guide with their guest list info on it. I then call to Host Coach using the Planning Guide. (I got this idea from "Help Host Get The Most" MP3 on CC.

Angel, how does it come out cheaper printing postage for yourself? Is it cheaper than the flat rate? I also just learned about something called Media Mail at the PO from my team member. She said it is cheaper than priority but it might take a little longer to ship.

I'm not sure that the packets with catalogs would qualify for Media Mail. You might need to ask that at the PO. Media Mail isn't supposed to contain advertisements.

Host packets DO NOT quailfy as Media Mail. Media Mail is for books, movies, CDs. etc only. When you ship "Media Mail" they WILL ask what the contents are.

‘Tis the season of flakes. Summer has always been a hard time of year for me. I too had 2 last minute cancelations this month. They never gave me their guest lists, but told me they were still interested in a party. I sent them labeled postcard invitations. But they both cancelled on me either the day before or the day of. I cannot say I was surprised, but it is disappointing. It is frustrating because I would never give my word to someone and then cancel at the last minute. They both want to reschedule, but I will not contact them and they will need to give me a guest list before I even consider it a party on my schedule. I usually hand out the packet if they commit at the party or I send them to them. I know people who wait to send the packet, but I am not sure I can do that. I do mail my packets too as I live in a large metro area and traveling across it can take an hour. I don’t have time to run around town to hand out packets. You have to do what works for you and over book the summer months so you are prepared for the cancelations.

JennyJennJen said:
....how does it come out cheaper printing postage for yourself? Is it cheaper than the flat rate? ....

If you go to a post office and buy the postage, that is the retail rate. For example a flat rate priority envelope it $4.95 at the PO. Only $4.75 online and online comes with free delivery confirmation.

When I mail catalogs or host packets, I try to make them 13 ounces or less, because then I can mail them first class for $3.28. If you need delivery confirmation on 1st class, retail is 80¢ vs only 19¢ online.

Thanks for the tip ShellBeach!

Exactly as ShellBeach said. I really like that they will deliver the envelopes to me free of charge. As for why? I am not sure, but I guess it could be that they do not have to use their labels. Still I can print 2 labels on 1 piece of paper and a piece of paper certainly does not cost me the difference.

UPDDATE: Two of the three that recently did this to me I have never heard back from....rude beyond belief! The third lady left a message for me last night. She apologized completely stating she dropped the ball and was so sorry. She still wants to do a show as long as I want to still do it. She has her invite list ready for me to call her with another date. So I guess there are still some decent people out there that will apologize :)

Thank you all for allowing me to vent. It is truly sad that a few rude people ruin it for those who are not but it did make me rethink my process of mailing out the packets before the invite list. All of your suggestions were great :)

Hey it never pays to hold it in! And we love a good host bashing session! And I agree to that when I take my packets, if I do need to mail them, to the post office already packed, addressed and ready tog, it comes out way cheaper for me too. I mailed 4 catalogs, a few OOFs, the host and guest specials to West Virginia. It cost me $4.05. That was all. And yes, catalogs do not count as Media. Stupid right? Still was cheaper than one of the flat rate boxes. And if I personally deliver a packet, I keep track of the mileage. Yes, it costs me now but I get part of it back later. Actually, I get more than enough back. My normal party is 92 miles round trip. My shows are usually an hour drive for me one way. At .55 a mile, I get $50.06 to write off. that is insane based on the fact that if I fill my car, it costs me $42 right now. I usually only use about 1/4 tank so... AND WE ARE ACTUALLY GETTING A SPRING LAUNCH IN MILWAUKEE, WI???? YEEEEE HAAAAA!

Last edited:

1. Why won't you send out a host packet until you receive the guest list?

I have implemented this new business rule to prevent situations like the ones I have experienced with inconsiderate hosts. It allows me to ensure that I have all the necessary information before investing time and money in sending out the packet.

2. What happened with the two hosts who "screwed" you?

I called both of them before sending out their packet, and they confirmed that the date was still good. However, they did not return my calls or emails and did not provide me with their guest list, causing me to waste money on mailing the packet and materials.

3. How much more can you do for these hosts?

I have already gone above and beyond by enclosing a self-addressed stamped envelope for them to return their guest list and repeatedly reaching out to them for the status of the show date. Unfortunately, they have not reciprocated my efforts.

4. How many host packets have you sent out this year?

I had sent out about 15 host packets earlier in the year, but due to these two inconsiderate hosts, I am now down to only 4.

5. What actions have you taken in response to this situation?

I have left my final message for both of these hosts, asking them to return the host packet to me. As much as I love my business, I cannot continue to invest time and money into those who do not show consideration and respect for my efforts and business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pkd09
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • jesusluvsu2005
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies