• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Improve Your Writing: Tips for Punctuation, Capitalization, and Formatting | Fyi

just takes a sec.Thanks for this thread. I have a really hard time reading posts that have terrible spelling and grammar. Although I am a bit paranoid posting in this thread because my grammar isn't *perfect* and I use ellipsis a lot. On this board, I've found spelling to be the most annoying thing. I just hope people use spell check before sending emails to their friends.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
It is very hard to read your post if you have:

no caps
no punctuation
long, long paragraphs
using -- and other symbols between words (I think to show scattered thoughts but very hard to read)

You can post however you want and I realize that some are so into texting that it's carrying over into forums like this and email but you need to know that this makes it very hard to read and looks very unprofessional and even juvenile. If a post is difficult to read it won't be and the writer won't be taken as someone who knows what they are talking about. It only takes a moment more to make sure your post represents you.

If you see a mistake after posting you can edit it by hitting that buttom in the lower right corner of your post. That's the main reason many of my posts are edited.

I am only saying something because more and more people are doing this and I wanted you to know how hard it is to follow your thoughts.

I agree, sometimes spelling issues make me not even want to read a thread.

Not to mention, spelling and usage. Reading some posts is like this:Tide To Go. (Click on the link.)PSA: An ellipsis is used to show a drifting thought or omitted words. The ellipsis consists of three dots ... not four, seven, nine or twenty six. Three. No more, no less.

Thanks Beth! I agree - some threads I don't even open if I see they are posted by someone who typically uses no punctuation, run-on sentences or other types of posting that make it difficult to read.Can I add one other thing? When someone is trying to be unique by using different fonts and colors for their posts. Sometimes, those don't always translate well onto the page, and make the post difficult to read - so just think twice before making it pretty!:D

Thanks for the reminder, Beth! I do the same thing as Becky - ignore the people who typically post impossible-to-read things. In fact, I think I even have 2 or 3 people on my ignore list because of that (so I don't see their posts in threads they didn't start, either).

UsageCommon misuse that drives me insane, and all are part of a basic English skill set:

where ware wear ("cookware" not cookwear, "underwear" not underware.)

to, two, too (Too often, people who want to post make two common errors, spelling and usage.)

their, there, they're (When they're posting, there are too many errors in their posts.)

ARRRGH!

There. I feel better now.

wadesgirl said:
I agree, sometimes spelling issues make me not even want to read a thread.

If you use Firefox as a browser, it will point out spelling errors in a post, however, it often marks words that it doesn't know as incorrect.

But, as James Thurber used to say, "You could look it up."

Merriam-Webster Online.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Common misuse that drives me insane, and all are part of a basic English skill set:

where ware wear ("cookware" not cookwear, "underwear" not underware.)

to, two, too (Too often, people who want to post make two common errors, spelling and usage.)

their, there, they're (When they're posting, there are too many errors in their posts.)

ARRRGH!

There. I feel better now.
That does drive me crazy too.

I had to learn to read my dh and sons' things for content first and THEN go back to "can I help you with a couple of little things on this?". They weren't letting me read their papers/letters because I ALWAYS found the errors and since it was what I saw I couldn't get the gist of what they were SAYING.

Once I changed my approach they were able to understand that their thoughts would be more clear if they used the correct word, spelling, punctuation. It's always hardest to hear criticism from those closest to us.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If you use Firefox as a browser, it will point out spelling errors in a post, however, it often marks words that it doesn't know as incorrect.

But, as James Thurber used to say, "You could look it up."

Merriam-Webster Online.
If I think I may have a word spelled wrong I will type it in word or put it on an email (both have good spell checkers) and word will tell me synonyms too so I check that too if I'm not sure that was the word I wanted.

...just takes a sec.

Thanks for this thread. I have a really hard time reading posts that have terrible spelling and grammar. Although I am a bit paranoid posting in this thread because my grammar isn't *perfect* and I use ellipsis a lot.

On this board, I've found spelling to be the most annoying thing. I just hope people use spell check before sending emails to their customers.

Am I one of these people???? I really don't like to capitalize, but I do try here. Oh and KG - I never get the "to" and "too" word correct, so I apologize if it annoys anyone. With that said, I do think I am a fantastic speller!

This thread isn't pointed at anyone. It is pointed at ALL of us.

We all need to be aware of how our words represent us. None of us are perfect and we all make these errors at times.

Just read over your posts and use the edit feature if you see errors. As far as caps are concerned, it's a good habit to be in anyway. We are all "business owners" and need to present ourselves as professionals in our emails and other written communication so consider CS as practice.

Winnipegk said:
Thanks for this thread. I have a really hard time reading posts that have terrible spelling and grammar. Although I am a bit paranoid posting in this thread because my grammar isn't *perfect* and I use ellipsis a lot.

On this board, I've found spelling to be the most annoying thing. I just hope people use spell check before sending emails to their customers.

I think everyone is paraniod to post now! LOL

I agree with you though, drives me batty! I worked for an editor several years ago doing pre-edits on corporate reports. I think that totally ruined any pleasure reading for me. To this day, I can hardly read anything without looking for spelling and grammar errors!

Oh, and the one that bugs me (and I think this must be a regional thing as I notice it the most with mid-westerners) is interchanging 'then' for 'than'.

This thread reminds me of a secretary that used to work in my department. When my boss complained to her about misspelled words she told him that they weren't misspelled she said that they were just "typo's" LOL!

pamperedlinda said:
This thread reminds me of a secretary that used to work in my department. When my boss complained to her about misspelled words she told him that they weren't misspelled she said that they were just "typo's" LOL!
That made me spit my coffee!:D :D :D

"Oh, just typos? Well, I guess that's okay..."

ChefBeckyD said:
That made me spit my coffee!:D :D :D

"Oh, just typos? Well, I guess that's okay..."
I think my boss introduced her to the spell checker feature after that response.

Exchanging "to" and "too" isn't so bad, in fact, I suspect that leaving off the last "o" in too is more of a typo. I think all of us understand typos and transposed lettres, it happesn to teh best of us sometimse. I saw this post on the Bridge Hunter site not too long ago:"i love that this site gives you just the rite amount of info. it is a major life savor when i had to wright a essay about a famouse bridge in ohio. the simple layout of the page is a wonderfull thing as well. just figured that i would give the site its props. lol whoop whoop."What does this post tell you about the poster? The message he/she is trying to convey is completely lost because the errors scream louder than the message. (Go watch the YouTube link I posted earlier to see what I mean.)

pamperedlinda said:
I think everyone is paraniod to post now! LOL
I hope not. I just wanted to send out a reminder and to help my fellow cheffers. We all need to be aware of how what we say or how we type makes us look.

The thread was not meant as a slam on anyone. It's just meant as constructive criticism.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I saw this post on the Bridge Hunter site not too long ago:

"i love that this site gives you just the rite amount of info. it is a major life savor when i had to wright a essay about a famouse bridge in ohio. the simple layout of the page is a wonderfull thing as well. just figured that i would give the site its props. lol whoop whoop."

What does this post tell you about the poster? The message he/she is trying to convey is completely lost because the errors scream louder than the message. (Go watch the YouTube link I posted earlier to see what I mean.)

That is just frightening. How did he/she get through school?:eek:

The problem is that many spell checkers don't check grammar. Or the grammar rules they use are archaic and irrelevant. The newsletter for the car club to which DH and I belong is rife with incorrect usage. We (many members, not just DH and I) have told the editor many times to check his spelling, so he uses the spell checker on his computer. But then he ends up with "your" instead of "you're" and other common errors. I can't even read the newsletter any more. (And I'm allowed to complain about it, because I was the editor for 3 years. :) )

Last edited:
chefann said:
The problem is that many spell checkers don't check grammar. Or the grammar rules they use are archaic and irrelevant. The newsletter for the car club to which DH and I belong is rife with incorrect usage. We've (many members, not just DH and I) have told the editor many times to check his spelling, so he uses the spell checker on his computer. But then he ends up with "your" instead of "you're" and other common errors. I can't even read the newsletter any more. (And I'm allowed to complain about it, because I was the editor for 3 years. :) )
Sorry, Ann. I HAD to proof your post. :eek:

Oops- thinking faster than typing. Sorry! Kinda ironic, isn't it?

I totally agree! I am by nature a proofreader & spot mistakes almost instantly. I read some of the posts (and not just here) & it really does irritate me. Sometimes it doesn't even make any sense. Now, I am by no means grammatically correct all the times but even the (mis) spoken language is a peeve of mine.

chefann said:
Oops- thinking faster than typing. Sorry!

Kinda ironic, isn't it?
That's why I had to point it out. Proves that we all make mistakes. I bet it wouldn't be hard to find some that I posted. :rolleyes:

That was NOT a challenge!

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

That just made my head hurt! :confused: :confused:

daniellemorgan said:
Yeah, mine too! :yuck:

:sing: Good example, TKG!

daniellemorgan said:
That was the general consensus when KG posted it last time. :D

Thank you, Beth, for posting this!

Here is an example of a "Pittsburgh Christmas Carol." KG's post reminded me of it. I understand every word of it, being that I'm from there, but I can't imagine what the rest of you see. :D

Yinz better watch aht,
Yinz better not cry,
Yinz better not paht,
I'm tellin' yinz hahscome:
Santa Claus is comin' dahntahn.

He's makin' a list,
He's checkin' it aht,
He's gonna find aht who's nebby an' 'at:

He knows if yinz's a jagoff,
He can see inside your hahss,
He knows if you've been workin' hard
Or sittin' on your cahch.

Yinz better watch aht,
Yinz better not cry,
Yinz better not paht,
I'm tellin yinz hahscome:

Talk about poor grammar!! :eek: :eek:

Regional idioms are a lot of fun, ain'a?

See, so many spelling issues, I didn't even try to read KG's post.

I never used ellipsis until here. Now I am queen of them! They seem to fit my train of thought - on one thing then the next. I type as I think so when thought changes, the ellipsis go in. However, I do always use 3 of them! :)On spelling and grammar, that was always one of my pet peeves too and I notice when someone else screws up. However, I've caught myself lately switching to and too and things I would NEVER screw up in the past. I think it is because DD has been working on that so much that my mind is reverting to her level from working with her - YIKES!On the capital/lowercase, that is a pet peeve of mine too. We had someone at work who kept caps lock on in IM messages and no matter how many times we tried to explain etiquette to her, she couldn't get the idea THAT SHE WAS ALWAYS SHOUTING AT US!now on the other hand it is really hard to read text with no punctuation either as beth stated because you have no clue where one thought ends and the next begins also it can be disrespectful to not capitalize people's names and did i add that if you are referring to a god as in an idol or object it is lower case and if you are referring to God as the one and only true God that I worship, it is supposed to be capitalized. Along with He when referring to Him.:)I feel better now too. ;)

janetupnorth said:
... also it can be disrespectful to not capitalize people's names and did i add that if you are referring to a god as in an idol or object it is lower case and if you are referring to God as the one and only true God that I worship, it is supposed to be capitalized. Along with He when referring to Him.

:)

I feel better now too. ;)
I also think you are being disrespectful to yourself when you don't capitalize "I".

I didn't capitalize "mom" when I was signing notes to my sons until one of them commented on that. He said "don't you think highly of yourself?". Well, that wasn't a direct quote really but you get the idea of what he was saying. He was pointing out that the word mom should be capitalized when using it as one's name as in "Love, Mom".

edit: Janet, I know you were giving an example. I didn't mean YOU should have capitalized it in your sentence. lol

Ugh, I know I've been guilty of not using capitalization (sorry!)...and I tend to use "..." a lot.
I can correct the capitalization, but the other is an ingrained habit. I'll try to reduce it, but it's usually because I only have a few moments and want to get a thought out there.
Good thread Beth. Thanks for posting!

BethCooks4U said:
I also think you are being disrespectful to yourself when you don't capitalize "I".

I didn't capitalize "mom" when I was signing notes to my sons until one of them commented on that. He said "don't you think highly of yourself?". Well, that wasn't a direct quote really but you get the idea of what he was saying. He was pointing out that the word mom should be capitalized when using it as one's name as in "Love, Mom".

edit: Janet, I know you were giving an example. I didn't mean YOU should have capitalized it in your sentence. lol
When referring to yourself as Mom, it's sort of like a proper name. If you asked your son's friend "What is your mom's name?" then it's not using a proper name so it doesn't need capitalized. That is what I remember from elementary.

janetupnorth said:
I never used ellipsis until here. Now I am queen of them! They seem to fit my train of thought - on one thing then the next. I type as I think so when thought changes, the ellipsis go in. However, I do always use 3 of them! :)

On spelling and grammar, that was always one of my pet peeves too and I notice when someone else screws up. However, I've caught myself lately switching to and too and things I would NEVER screw up in the past. I think it is because DD has been working on that so much that my mind is reverting to her level from working with her - YIKES!

On the capital/lowercase, that is a pet peeve of mine too. We had someone at work who kept caps lock on in IM messages and no matter how many times we tried to explain etiquette to her, she couldn't get the idea THAT SHE WAS ALWAYS SHOUTING AT US!

now on the other hand it is really hard to read text with no punctuation either as beth stated because you have no clue where one thought ends and the next begins also it can be disrespectful to not capitalize people's names and did i add that if you are referring to a god as in an idol or object it is lower case and if you are referring to God as the one and only true God that I worship, it is supposed to be capitalized. Along with He when referring to Him.

:)

I feel better now too. ;)

Little hijack, but this very thing happened in our church program yesterday. I was reading through it, and there was one whole section where the name of God was not capitalized - it wasn't an accident, because it happened 4 times in a paragraph. It bothered me so much that as soon as the service was over, I took it to the Director of Administration, and pointed it out to her. Seems she was on vacation last week, and we have some pretty artsy people on staff, and they were going for a "look". Going for a "look" is fine, as long as it isn't disrespectful to God...

(and Janet....you can't be the queen of ellipses, because that's my title!:D Everything you said about them, applies to me too, though....it's more of my thoughts just running to the next thought, and because people can't hear my voice inflection, I do that to convey some meaning.)

ChefBeckyD said:
Little hijack, but this very thing happened in our church program yesterday. I was reading through it, and there was one whole section where the name of God was not capitalized - it wasn't an accident, because it happened 4 times in a paragraph. It bothered me so much that as soon as the service was over, I took it to the Director of Administration, and pointed it out to her. Seems she was on vacation last week, and we have some pretty artsy people on staff, and they were going for a "look". Going for a "look" is fine, as long as it isn't disrespectful to God...

(and Janet....you can't be the queen of ellipses, because that's my title!:D Everything you said about them, applies to me too, though....it's more of my thoughts just running to the next thought, and because people can't hear my voice inflection, I do that to convey some meaning.)
Well, I am as guilty as anyone of using the ellipses...

...I just didn't know what they were called. And I do try to just use them to try to get my meaning across too.

wow maybe I'm just a child of the electronic age but this post is kinda harsh. I'm new to PC and new to this site and this thread comes across a little bit elitist. I love the ideas and resources I've seen here but might think twice about posting again. Honestly it makes me feel really unwelcome.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, marciem. That's not how this thread was intended.My feelings on the topic are that punctuation, capitalization and spelling were developed as a way to make communication clearer and more easily understood. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, and that's OK. But there are some people who ignore those rules so often that it's very hard to understand them. And, to bring the "respect" theme from above in again, it makes it seem like they don't respect the other members of this board enough to bother with them.

marciem said:
wow maybe I'm just a child of the electronic age but this post is kinda harsh. I'm new to PC and new to this site and this thread comes across a little bit elitist. I love the ideas and resources I've seen here but might think twice about posting again. Honestly it makes me feel really unwelcome.
WOW :eek: I am sorry you feel this way.

Pampered Chef consultants consider ourselves to be business owners and professional for the most part. If we don't follow simple rules of our written language how are we supposed to think that others will consider us and our "job" as worthwhile?

This site is a place to come together and share ideas. I agree that while occasional grammar, spelling and punctuation errors are and should not be a big deal, (IMO) we can use this as a place to practice. If one always texts and types without concern for how it looks, it will carry over into things they type to potential hosts and recruits.

Last edited:
No one was slamming anyone in particular nor did anyone mention any names. I just think that it's a great reminder to all of us, not just on this forum but in emails, letters, talking on the phone, etc. Good grammar is an important part in a business. Showing that you can be professional and that you take the time to show that you care is a very good part of customer service.

I'm sorry she feels that way too...it is not elitist - all those who mentioned pet peeves also claimed where they are guilty. It comes up on here every so many months.I am not that old, but I don't consider myself a child of the electronic age. I am a child of the transition and I do have to say that spelling and grammar and etiquette is not recognized as it should be. It was created for a reason. We have quite a variety of ages and interests on here. I prefer to respect those older than me who have no clue what IMHO and BFF and whatever abbreviations are used and communicate with them properly for ideas.Besides, you can type fast and communicate thoughts clearly without abbreviating. It makes your mind work. Texting is VERY popular but not the solution yet for most business communication.Most of my guests are older than me and I appreciate Beth's gentle reminder to communicate properly to them. I would lose them as a customer if I typed my e-mails all in lower case or in random thoughts.She didn't intend to "dig" on anyone, just to point out that communication and how we do it is VERY important. I personally, have many recent cases in the last week alone at work how IM has been the cause of mass miscommunication and issues because people cannot type thoughts out clearly.

Please feel welcome here marciem. Beth is a very kind-hearted person (so no elitism intended), and she has a valid point.

I am probably one of those older folks Janet was talking about. All the 'texting' shortcuts leave me in the dust. Also, while, for some, CS is a great personal sounding board on a wide variety of topics (me too, occasionally), it is primarily a phenomenial business resource. Keeping the posts easier to read helps!

Enjoy this site and I hope it helps your business the way it (and the people on it) helped me. :)

Personally, I don't mind seeing no punctuation or spelling abbreviations in text messages or in chat rooms only, but it makes my skin crawl in e-mail or on message boards, where abbreviations and not using punctuation are uncalled for. I know my biggest weakness, which are spelling and grammar. I have struggled with these issues my whole life, even after having tutors while in school.I also tend to think faster than I type and I type by touch, so I'll make stupid errors like "every" instead of "very". In my own defense for not going back and editing my posts when I see I've made one of these stupid errors, it's because I am use to posting on a message board that allows only 10 minutes to edit your posts. I forget we don't have that kind of time limit here.I hope no one feels unwelcome here because of this thread, as that is not the intention. It's just to remind you that while we tend to me more social here, it's still a business forum and we should all have our business mindset here.

I agree, no slams intended. Just a reminder to have considderation to our fellow cheffers!

It drives my eyes crazy when I try to read all caps, funky colors or fancy fonts on this board. Some just do not translate well.

I am famous for bad spelling. I do my best to catch it here. I also have a new laptop and the keyboard is just a tad different so I catch myself making alot more typo's lately. I also tend to do alot of .......... (to me it means bla,bla,bla) and " " they both help me express myself. If is annoying I will try to stop but it has become a habbit on the board.

Peace All!

BethCooks4U said:

Both "mom" and "dad," as well as "mother" and "father" are both nouns and pronouns. Used as such, proper usage is with lowercase letters. However, when they are replacing proper nouns, they must be capitalized.

The rule to remember is that if you are replacing a proper noun, like someone's name, the pronoun must be capitalized. You wouldn't call your mother (note the lower case usage there) by her proper name, so when you use "mom" in place of her name, it must be capitalized.

Correct:
"Ann and her sister went to Colorado, and their mom and dad went along."

Incorrect:
"Ann and her sister went to Colorado, and their Mom and Dad went along."

Correct:
"My brother and I are alone now, Mom and Dad died years ago."

Marciem, I'm also sorry you feel that way. Following rules is not elitist. It's good manners.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
. Following rules is ...good manners.

Ah, now there is a novel concept.;)

legacypc46 said:
Ah, now there is a novel concept.;)

Serously!!!

I was always called a "goody 2 shoes" because I was a rule follower. All I was ever trying to do was be polite and considerate. Those qualities have become a lost art.

legacypc46 said:
Please feel welcome here marciem. Beth is a very kind-hearted person (so no elitism intended), and she has a valid point.

I am probably one of those older folks Janet was talking about. All the 'texting' shortcuts leave me in the dust. Also, while, for some, Chef Success is a great personal sounding board on a wide variety of topics (me too, occasionally), it is primarily a phenomenial business resource. Keeping the posts easier to read helps!

Enjoy this site and I hope it helps your business the way it (and the people on it) helped me. :)

Nope, old to me is WAY older than you...maybe Grandmarita, but she's still young too. ;)

...now KG...well, I wouldn't call him old...just stubborn! :love: ya KG - couldn't resist!

<h2>1. Why is it important to use proper punctuation, capitalization, and formatting in writing?</h2><p>Using proper punctuation, capitalization, and formatting helps to make your writing more clear, organized, and professional. It also helps to convey your thoughts and ideas more effectively to your reader.</p><h2>2. How does writing without proper punctuation and capitalization affect the readability of a post?</h2><p>Writing without proper punctuation and capitalization can make a post difficult to read and follow. It can also make the writer appear less knowledgeable and professional.</p><h2>3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in writing?</h2><p>Some common mistakes to avoid in writing include using no capitalization, no punctuation, long paragraphs, and using symbols between words. These can make the writing difficult to read and understand.</p><h2>4. How can I improve my writing skills?</h2><p>To improve your writing skills, practice regularly, read and study grammar and punctuation rules, and seek feedback from others on your writing. You can also use online resources and tools to help improve your writing.</p><h2>5. Can I edit my post after it has been published?</h2><p>Yes, you can edit your post after it has been published by clicking on the button in the lower right corner of your post. It is always a good idea to review and edit your writing before publishing to ensure it is clear and error-free.</p>

Related to Improve Your Writing: Tips for Punctuation, Capitalization, and Formatting | Fyi

1. Why is it important to use proper punctuation, capitalization, and formatting in writing?

Using proper punctuation, capitalization, and formatting helps to make your writing more clear, organized, and professional. It also helps to convey your thoughts and ideas more effectively to your reader.

2. How does writing without proper punctuation and capitalization affect the readability of a post?

Writing without proper punctuation and capitalization can make a post difficult to read and follow. It can also make the writer appear less knowledgeable and professional.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in writing?

Some common mistakes to avoid in writing include using no capitalization, no punctuation, long paragraphs, and using symbols between words. These can make the writing difficult to read and understand.

4. How can I improve my writing skills?

To improve your writing skills, practice regularly, read and study grammar and punctuation rules, and seek feedback from others on your writing. You can also use online resources and tools to help improve your writing.

5. Can I edit my post after it has been published?

Yes, you can edit your post after it has been published by clicking on the button in the lower right corner of your post. It is always a good idea to review and edit your writing before publishing to ensure it is clear and error-free.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kam
Replies
Views
rebeccastt
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies