• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm Making a Dish For My Friend's Memorial

In summary, my best friend is hosting a memorial for her brother who passed away last month. She asked a few PC friends if we would like to help out by making a few side dishes. I need to come up with something I can make the day before and take to her that probably wouldn't need reheated or anything. Thanks!
wadesgirl
Gold Member
My best friend (who is a PC director) is hosting a memorial for her brother who passed away last month. She asked a few PC friends if we would like to help out by making a few side dishes. I need to come up with something I can make the day before and take to her that probably wouldn't need reheated or anything. Thanks!

People always appreciate a nice fruit salad. Or you could put together a salad or homemade coleslaw.

If a dessert is ok, I'd do a trifle - but, that's not a side dish. Otherwise, you can do potato or pasta salad.

Here's an easy recipe, which will taste better if it's allowed to sit in the refrigerator overnight:

1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can navy beans
1 package frozen corn kernels (leave in refrigerator overnight, or leave at room temperature for a couple of hours before use to thaw slightly, but do not heat to thaw. If you buy kernels which are individually frozen before packaging - such as Schwan's - there is no need to thaw, just add according to the recipe)
2 ripe tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Drain and rinse beans (if you have the Salad & Berry Spinner, use this to get as much juice and water off the beans as possible) **Note, if making this for your own family meal, don't rinse too much, because the juice actually contains a lot of nutrients. However, it makes the colors look really muddy, which is why you want to rinse well for company.
Chop tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Mix together. Stir in beans, then stir in corn. Add vinegar, a small amount at a time, until ingredients are well mixed and there is a little juice. Don't add too much, though, or the taste will be over-powering. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If storing overnight, don't add the salt & pepper until just ready to serve. This will allow the other flavors to develop and merge.

This is great as a 'fiesta salad' side dish, especially in the summer, OR served over hot steamed rice in the winter!

pampchefsarah said:
If a dessert is ok, I'd do a trifle - but, that's not a side dish. Otherwise, you can do potato or pasta salad.

Here's an easy recipe, which will taste better if it's allowed to sit in the refrigerator overnight:

1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can navy beans
1 package frozen corn kernels (leave in refrigerator overnight, or leave at room temperature for a couple of hours before use to thaw slightly, but do not heat to thaw. If you buy kernels which are individually frozen before packaging - such as Schwan's - there is no need to thaw, just add according to the recipe)
2 ripe tomatoes
1 medium yellow onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Drain and rinse beans (if you have the Salad & Berry Spinner, use this to get as much juice and water off the beans as possible) **Note, if making this for your own family meal, don't rinse too much, because the juice actually contains a lot of nutrients. However, it makes the colors look really muddy, which is why you want to rinse well for company.
Chop tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Mix together. Stir in beans, then stir in corn. Add vinegar, a small amount at a time, until ingredients are well mixed and there is a little juice. Don't add too much, though, or the taste will be over-powering. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If storing overnight, don't add the salt & pepper until just ready to serve. This will allow the other flavors to develop and merge.

This is great as a 'fiesta salad' side dish, especially in the summer, OR served over hot steamed rice in the winter!

Great idea!

Any others?

Hi there! I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to your friend and her family. I would be more than happy to help out with some side dishes for the memorial. One dish that I always love to make in advance is a cold pasta salad. You can mix in some fresh veggies, herbs, and a homemade dressing for a tasty and refreshing dish. Another idea could be a quinoa and black bean salad, which is also great to make ahead of time and can be served cold. Please let me know if either of these options sound good to you and I will be happy to provide you with some recipes. Again, my deepest condolences and I am here to support you and your friend in any way that I can.

1. How can I make a dish that is both comforting and easy to transport?

Consider making a casserole dish or a one-pot meal that can easily be transported and reheated. Soups, stews, and chili are also great options.

2. What are some good options for a vegetarian or vegan dish?

Vegetarian and vegan options could include dishes such as a quinoa and roasted vegetable salad, stuffed peppers, or a vegetable lasagna.

3. Can I make a dish that can be easily reheated or frozen for later?

Absolutely. Consider making a batch of lasagna, enchiladas, or a hearty soup that can be portioned and frozen for later use.

4. How can I personalize the dish to honor my friend?

You can incorporate their favorite ingredients or flavors into the dish, or even name the dish after them. You could also include a note or card explaining the significance of the dish and why it was chosen.

5. Are there any Pampered Chef products that would be helpful for making a dish for a memorial?

Our Stoneware Collection is perfect for making casseroles and dishes that can easily be transported. The Executive Nonstick Cookware Set is also great for making one-pot meals. Additionally, our Food Chopper can save time and effort when prepping ingredients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • sunnygirl in nd