• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing Product Returns: A Guide for Hosts and Business Owners

In summary, the customer contacted the host today because two of her guests from her show back in November have product issues. The host asked if she could bring the products to me so I could mail them in to be returned. I told her that I can not really afford to pay out of pocket for the shipping costs for the returns as well- this business helps MH and I pay our bills. I also told her that I would do returns for people IF I already have something to return myself--I just include them in the same box.
kdangel518
Gold Member
I have a host that contacted me today because two of her guests from her show back in November have product issues. She asked if she could bring the products to me so I could mail them in to be returned. Umm... I'm sorry, but at this point in my biz that is not a service I offer.

I will gladly arrange the adjustment for you, forward along the information, and check in to be sure you've received your replacement products and are satisfied with them, but I can not really afford to pay out of pocket for the shipping costs for the returns as well- this business helps MH and I pay our bills!

How can I word it without upsetting the host?:confused:

I usually tell people that I'll be glad to arrange an exchange for them. I tell them to hold onto the items until the HO gets back to me. When I hear back from the HO, I forward the information about the exchange (ref #, where to send it, etc.) to the guest. I think I've only had one person then contact me to ask me to send it back for them. If I remember correctly, my response was that unfortunately I couldn't do that.

Thanks Rae. I pretty much did that. I replied back to the host saying that both her sisters (the two guests) had gotten back to me individually, and I had already submitted the adjustment for one, and had forwarded that along with the return information to that individual.

I was just waiting for further information from one of the other sisters so I could submit her adjustment, and as soon as I got that I would do the same for her.

I didn't address the shipping thing at all in my email, if she brings it up again I will just explain to her that it's not something I can do. Thank you!

Just say that consultants are not authorized to accept returns and everything must be handled through the warehouse/solution center.I will do returns for people IF I already have something to return myself--I just include them in the same box. (I know there has been discussion as to whether or not that is proper procedure, but I've done it numerous times and never had a problem). I also do returns for my family members.

On the back of the receipt it actually says we are not authorized to take returns. We can process them through the adjustment page, but we're not supposed to mail them back in.You wouldn't call your friend who works at Target to have her take in a return for you, right?

Oooh, Kate, thank you- official word always makes me feel better, especially if it's documented somewhere to back me up! :) :)

cmdtrgd said:
On the back of the receipt it actually says we are not authorized to take returns. We can process them through the adjustment page, but we're not supposed to mail them back in.

You wouldn't call your friend who works at Target to have her take in a return for you, right?

I was just going to say that. That is what I tell people when they ask me to do returns.

I do not have a sales slip with me to see, but is that wording still on there? I could not find it but have not looked for it recently. Just double check.

I do offer an exchange but it has to be on my time line and it has to be delivered to me. If they want it faster or if they are too far away, I will help them get it set up.

As far as comparing it to a return from Target (or any other store for that matter) I don't have a reference person from whom I purchased it from. But also, if they had to return an item to Amazon or any other online purchase, they would forefit their shipping and have to pay to return it. But I also would not have to call ahead, get a reference number and then mark it on the outside of the box. Not that it is a cumbersome task, but I have seen some just get upset and not order any more.

So... here is the email I got from the customer today- to be honest, I'm pretty upset with her wording, and am not quite sure how to respond. What would you advise?"hi kara, just a quick follow up on those returns. are the return auth forms postage paid?? i do not think that they should have to pay shipping fees to send back defective products. pampered chef or yourself should absorb those fees as the products were not as expected. thanks , i'd appreciate hearing from you."I definitely will mention the 30 day policy, but not really sure what else to say to let her know that she is expecting too much?

Give her the 800 number and say you aren't authorized to handle returns and you don't make the policies but HO can possibly decide to send a call tag.

cmdtrgd said:
Give her the 800 number and say you aren't authorized to handle returns and you don't make the policies but HO can possibly decide to send a call tag.

I agree!!! I think that you've been more than helpful in making the adjustments & she's not appreciative of that.

Ok, thanks ladies. I will do that and see if that keeps her at bay. She is just very pushy- she wanted the Dec host special even though she had a Nov show (which closed in early Dec) b/c she liked the Dec host special more and wasn't happy when I explained to her that she couldn't get that, as it wasn't a Dec show.Obviously she just expects quite a bit- I mean, if it were Wal-Mart or Target, I don't know that they would even take the product back after almost 60 days!

Ok, NOW I'm upset!!!! I explained to her that there is a 30 day policy on all our items that they can be exchanged at no cost, etc. and that I am not authorized to handle returns past the point of submitting the adjustment, but she is more than welcome to call the home office to see if they will give her a pre-paid shipping tag for the returns.This is the response I got: "sorry, but i dont think that is good enough. this is truly unnaceptable, and i have never had problems like this in over 12 years of dealing with pampered chef. who is your upline, regional manager, etc. i think that passing off problems to your customers is unnaceptable. it truly shows how committed you are to your own customers and i am disappointed."First of all, yes, I am her consultant and will act as the liason b/w PC and the customer, however, I do not produce the products and sometimes there are defects. It is not my fault. I have done what I can to assist you.Secondly, I take great pride in the service I offer my customers, sorry if it's not good enough for you... and do you really think you're going to call my upline and tell on me? This is my business, not her business, and my upline certainly isn't going to reprimand me!I am just pissed at this point. Really, what else can I do? Tell her that I'm sorry she feels that way but that's the best I can offer her? Honestly, what else can I do or say at this point? I truly feel like I have to defend myself...

was this last communication via email? phone? I can understand her being upset if you did NOTHING to help her out...but you've definitely done more than some...& if I remember correctly, these aren't even HER products, right?!?! Have you spoken with the actual customers who are having the issues? It may not be a big deal to them to call HO to get a pp shipping sticker...if they'll offer it. Also, I would want to make sure that the customers know that you ARE doing what you can & not getting a bunch of bad mouthing from the hostess.....

You can try to call the Solution Center and ask if they'll issue a call tag in this situation as a courtesy. I send a post show email to all customers explaining the 30 day rule. Not that doing so would have prevented this woman from complaining....

"I am doing all that I'm able to do regarding these returns. I have contacted Home Office and started the process on getting them their replacement items. The shipping fee is a standard procedure. The Pampered Chef is very generous in paying for the shipping within the first 30 days. After that, if you feel that the shipping charge should be waived, that is an issue you will need to address with our Home Office. They can be reached at 1-888-OUR-CHEF. I am an Independent Consultant with the Pampered Chef. This is my own business and have always followed closely to the Policies and Procedures of The Pampered Chef. Each guest is given a receipt with details regarding our satisfaction guarantee and return policies. I do my best to help along the process regarding returns/exchanges, but it is not up to me to waive shipping fees."At least right off the bat, this is what I'd write. Not sure...have to think about it more. No matter what, she isn't happy and will only be happy if you coddle her. She's waiting for you to bow down to her demands. These are orders of her sisters? This should be between you and them. Now that the items are in her possession it louses up things. She needs to call HO!

DebbieJ said:
You can try to call the Solution Center and ask if they'll issue a call tag in this situation as a courtesy.

I send a post show email to all customers explaining the 30 day rule. Not that doing so would have prevented this woman from complaining....

Yeah, I'd call HO and see what they can do. Also, they can at least document the issue in their system so that if she calls and complains about you, they will know what's going on.

WOW. What a mess!
I would write what Amanda (2post up) suggested. I think it is polite and informative. Also you might want to quote the exact words from the back of the sales receipt. Plus call the sisters, to see where they are on this subject, how they feel about it. Explain to them over the phone, that it is not your job to return them, and you have no financials to do that even if you wanted to.

Call HO and tell them what is going on, have them put a note on the show so if the host calls in they are aware of it. Also you can ask them for advice.

On the other hand. Do not take it personally. Your host might have some other issues that is going on right now. She might be just that type of personality, who will not let her assumed "right" go away.

I would not bow after her last email.

What are the porducts in question?

Zsuzsanna

I'm with the others. Let your upline and the HO know what's going on. Send copies of all emails and responses. This person is trying to bully you. She's probably gotten her way in this manner before.

Thanks for all the GREAT advice ladies. I will certainly call the HO on Monday and let them know- I will forward the email chain to my director and I have a call with her Monday afternoon as well. I will certainly ask the HO if they will send her a pre-paid shipping label, but I will let her know that this is not what I normally do and I offer all customers the same service.Two things are ironic to me about this situation: 1) She booked off another woman's show, and that original host's mother had product issue that had to be exchanged. She was extremely thankful for me simply setting up the product adjustment and forwarding along the information. 2) is that at her show when I talked about bookings she mentioned how I was so FLEXIBLE b/c she had to reschedule with me twice before her final date. She raved about how understanding and easy to work with I was to her customers, yet she is so quick to turn that around when she doesn't get exactly what she wants here. Unreal.I will keep you all updated, thank you again!

you may also find that the actual 2 customers with the return are perfectly FINE with the arrangement...the Host is just playing middle-man it sounds like(?) and SHE's the one with the issue. If that's the case, I'd just talk to the customers directly and not even deal with the Host. Definitely CYA by contacting HO and your upline- just in case...and who knows, maybe your director will talk to her FOR you. *hehe*

DO NOT ask HO to send a slip to pay for the shipping. What will she learn? You whine enough you get your way even if you were wrong? No. Returns are clearly marked on the receipt. It may be worth reminding guests at check out. I never do this, but I've never had issues with returns either.If it's a good friend, I do the return. Otherwise, I enter the return and email the slip they need to include in shipping.

If products where DEFECTIVE Then PC WILL PAY FOR THE RETURN UP to 30 days after delivery of useing the product she would know if it was defective. After that you need to be the one to send it back and pay for the return, And yes get it replaced

Again can you take a defective item back to targot 3 months later and get a new one , ( NO ) atleast PC WILL return it that is the atvantage of buying PC products

Did you ever find out which guests and which products? And what is exactly wrong? I would call HO and let them know of the situation but I would stick to your guns with this lady. You are doing the right thing and sometimes it's hard to please everyone.

Hmmm. Sounds like a hostess whose way of 'feeling special' is to push any and all limits. The best part of all of this is, she cares a lot. In your final correspondence to her, include a "take charge take action" booklet and say how you appreciate her persistence and think she'd make an amazing consultant. (Then promptly steer her as a home office lead or to another director/upline if she takes you up on it)

Clearly she never took the time to call HO since they would courteously help her change her tune. While it's good she is relying so much on you, you also need to be strong to stand up to her. Show her the wording on the back of the order form that says customers handle their own returns after 30 days. Explain how this helps her as a hostess.

Out of curiosity, what were the items she wanted returned?

1. What is your return policy for Pampered Chef products?

At Pampered Chef, we want our customers to be completely satisfied with their purchases. That's why we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If for any reason you are not satisfied with a product, you can return it within 1 year of purchase for a full refund or exchange.

2. Can I return a product if it was purchased through a Pampered Chef party?

Yes, our return policy applies to all purchases made through a Pampered Chef party or directly from our website. We want all of our customers to have a positive experience with our products, regardless of how they were purchased.

3. Are there any restrictions on what products can be returned?

We accept returns on all Pampered Chef products, with the exception of personalized or customized items. These items cannot be returned unless there is a defect or error in the personalization.

4. How do I initiate a return for a product I purchased?

To initiate a return, please contact your Pampered Chef consultant or our customer service team. They will provide you with instructions on how to return the product and process your refund or exchange.

5. Can I return a product if it was a gift?

Yes, if you received a Pampered Chef product as a gift and would like to return it, you may do so within 1 year of the purchase date. However, the refund or exchange will be given to the original purchaser, not the recipient of the gift.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrshamel3808
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
  • Bren706
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
PCGINA
  • JenniK