• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Far Do You Go for a Return?

In both cases, I just sent her the reference # and the return instructions. No additional cost to her.
Bren706
Gold Member
I have a customer who purchased the Lg Round Stone with handles back in July, and it recently broke while in the oven. The host e-mailed me about it, and I did the adjustment and sent the return information to the customer.

The customer seems upset that she needs to send a piece of it back (and pay the postage). Part of her response was "Aren't returns of this nature usually handled by the representative?". I am not sure what about it she expects me to handle. I did do the adjustment for her, and gave her the reference number. She lives 30 minutes from me. If she was closer, and could get the piece to me, I may be willing to send it back for her to keep her a happy customer, but I really don't want to drive 30 minutes.

For those that handle returns and other adjustments for your customers, have you come across these situations, and how did you handle it?

Many do exactly what you have done. It states clearly on the back of the customer's slip how they have to return the item.

I do the following:

IF the customer can get the item to me, I will return it IF they are not in a hurry. I may take up to 6 months to do a return so if they want it done sooner, I show then how to return the item. But they must bring it to me!

IF the customer did not purchase it from me, they MUST provide the original receipt.

Last week I sent 5 returns to HO. It cost me $10 with shipping, insurance and delivery confirmation. Some had purchased their products in March but I give them the choice.

How you want to handle this is a decision you make yourself. You are doing the correct thing already. We are not obligated to pay shipping to return an item.

baychef said:
Many do exactly what you have done. It states clearly on the back of the customer's slip how they have to return the item.

I do the following:

IF the customer can get the item to me, I will return it IF they are not in a hurry. I may take up to 6 months to do a return so if they want it done sooner, I show then how to return the item. But they must bring it to me!

IF the customer did not purchase it from me, they MUST provide the original receipt.

Last week I sent 5 returns to HO. It cost me $10 with shipping, insurance and delivery confirmation. Some had purchased their products in March but I give them the choice.

How you want to handle this is a decision you make yourself. You are doing the correct thing already. We are not obligated to pay shipping to return an item.

Why are you insuring the returns? The items are "broken" already...

i had broken my large bar pan back in august & did an adjustment online right away (because at the time i used my bar pan constantly) ... but then i forgot about it completely & things got busy with school and work and i just never sent the piece into HO. last week the fedex lady showed up at my office & i was surprised because i hadnt ordered anything in a while. i opened the box & it was my replacement bar pan! i felt so guilty that HO sent the bar pan anyway (even though its been 2.5 months since i did the adjustment) that i sent the pieces to HO the next day! :blushing:

Have you let the customer know that the piece she sends only needs to be about hand-sized? It shouldn't cost her more than a couple bucks to send it back in a padded envelope.

chefann said:
Have you let the customer know that the piece she sends only needs to be about hand-sized? It shouldn't cost her more than a couple bucks to send it back in a padded envelope.

I did state that in my original e-mail to her with the reference #, etc. In my response to her groaning about the shipping, I was going to mention that it would cost more to drive the piece to me, than it would to send it back herself.

I always send the customer the reference # with the return instructions and then I say if they don't want to send it back themselves, they can drop it at my house and I'll send it back but I usually only send one box every 1-2 months. I get more people wanting to drop their items off, which is fine with me.

I've only done 2 returns and it was for the same customer (2 seperate times). She had made the purchases from a different consultant. I told her if she would bring it to me, I'd be happy to send it out for her. She brought it to me both times & never complained.

Just so happens, she's now considering becoming a consultant and signing under me. I guess I made her happy by going the extra step for customer service. ;)

I rarely return something for someone. If I do, it's for a friend and really good customer. Technically, consultants don't do returns. On the back of the receipt it tells the customer how to take care of a return. You offered excellent customer care by taking the first step for her.

I am with Rae, I state that I am unauthorized to do the returns for them but I would be happy to do the paperwork and the calls and I will get them what they need so they just have to drop it off at the post office. If they bought a stone at walmart and it broke 6 month's later they wouldn't get a new one especially for only 2 bucks to return it!!!
Be firm, some will whine, go back to line one " I am unauthorized..."

Sheila said:
I've only done 2 returns and it was for the same customer (2 seperate times). She had made the purchases from a different consultant. I told her if she would bring it to me, I'd be happy to send it out for her. She brought it to me both times & never complained.

Just so happens, she's now considering becoming a consultant and signing under me. I guess I made her happy by going the extra step for customer service. ;)

I agree Sheila!!

When I first started my business - I "went by the book" on returns; however, I relaized that by doing little things like making returns for customers, I reap the rewards later. I bent my rule and helped a friend do a return. At her office one day - this little 85 year old lady mentioned that they had broken her little bar pan - her only stone htat she used every day... and she didn't know the party lady ... my friend of course refferred her to me ..... :angel: WHY? She knew I would help her. I did do the return for her and she mentioned that I "was a saint" to do it for her. I explained the policy and how we as consultants make our own decisions about returns.... WELL - to make a long story short.... she booked a show, and I received 3 more bookings from her show, and so on... and so on...
Her family regularly holds shows for me.... to the tune of $6300.00 in 2 years... It was worth the $5.00 in postage for me to do that for her...NOW one of her grand daughters is considering the biz ... I will miss them as customers, but I know they will be serviced well :)

Bottom Line: It's your Business: You make the Decision.... I believe they will return items themselves or find another consultant that will ~ and maybe more...

My .02

~ G

1. How long do I have to return a product?

You have up to one year from the date of purchase to return a product for a refund or exchange.

2. Can I return a product if I no longer have the original packaging?

Yes, as long as you have proof of purchase, you can return a product without the original packaging.

3. Do I have to pay for return shipping?

If the product is being returned due to a defect or error on our part, we will cover the cost of return shipping. However, if the return is due to a change of mind or other personal reasons, the customer is responsible for return shipping costs.

4. Can I return a product if I used it?

If the product has been used but is still in its original condition, it can be returned for a refund or exchange. However, if the product has been altered or damaged in any way, it is not eligible for return.

5. Can I return a product purchased from a consultant at a party?

Yes, you can return a product purchased from a consultant at a party. Simply contact the consultant directly or reach out to our customer service team for assistance with the return process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cooknjess
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cooknjess
  • PamperedK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sandilou
  • JaimeQ