• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Long Should I Run the Self-Cleaning Cycle on My 19-Year-Old Electric Oven?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the instructions for an electric oven, with participants discussing the duration of the clean cycle and the age and color of their own ovens. There was also discussion about the quirks and issues with their current ovens, and plans to upgrade to a new one.
pampchefrhondab
Okay, so I can't find the instructions for my electric oven - it's been 19 years okay so don't give me a hard time:)!

Anyway, I know how to run the clean cycle, just can't remember how long. Is it 3 hours? I guess that's what I will start with. If not enough time, I'll run it again tomorrow. Just don't want to use more electricity!:yuck:

Thanks!

According to my manual it says 1 1/2 hours for light soil and, 2 to 3 hours or more for moderate to heavy soil.

Mine's automagic. I just set it to clean and then prepare to not have access for about five hours. Once the door latches and the cycle starts, that's it until it's decided that it's done.And mine was used when I bought it 20 years ago.

Mine is that weird 70's green color. It belonged to my in-laws. When we bought our house 4 years ago, there was no oven. So my mother-in-law (who doesn't throw away anything that is still useable) gave us hers so she could buy a new fancy oven. It has to be at least 20-25 years old, but I am not sure. The manual (see that came with the oven) doesn't have any dates on it.

If it's avacado, it's at least 25 years old - but the key question is, does it work? The color really doesn't matter, then, and I always hate to see something perfectly usable get cast aside because it isn't cool enough anymore.

Our's is automatic, but I think that it's at least 4 hours.

The first time we ever ran it was at our old house, the day before we had an open house (to sell the house). The realtor put the sign up early with the day (Sun) and time, but on the Saturday afternoon as we were madly cleaning and tidying, and were half-way through the oven clean cycle, some people rang the door bell, and asked if they could see the house. We pointed out that the open house wasn't 'til the next day but they said they wouldn't be able to come back, so figured, OK, we don't have anything to lose... Even though the house was a huge mess (you know the clutter you accumulate as you start to sort and organise and "de-clutter" :) ?) and it STANK of smoke from the oven. Oh man, it smelt awful :yuck:

Needless to say, we didn't hear back from that couple!! :D

My oven is Coppertone. That's the ugly brown from the early 80s. Unfortunately, the clock and timer on it is broken, so it no longer self cleans. I wouldn't trust it not to set itself on fire anyway, because the thermostat is off by 50 degrees (it runs hot). I can't wait for my new oven!! (dual wall ovens, both full convection with self clean)

It has its quirks. If you pre-heat the oven it gets too hot. Easy solution I do not preheat. If you have to cook something after something else, you have to adjust the temp. It keeps rising after it cooks for awhile. Also 2 of the burners do not work right.
I really do not care about the color, but love to comment on it. :)
For now it works enough to not have to spend the money on a new one. So that is a major plus.

Last November we had to replace the 50 year old asbestos lined boiler, put in 19 new windows, remove all the asbestos from all the pipes in the basement and half of the pipes too. So I can handle a green stove for a little longer.

chefann said:
I can't wait for my new oven!! (dual wall ovens, both full convection with self clean)

I can't wait for a new oven either! I want the dual convection too, but when my husband saw the price he said, "No way!" I'll just have to start selling more PC:)!

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to run it 3 1/2 hours since my daughter just got home from school and can be home the rest of the afternoon. I wanted to have it done before I leave for work.

BTW - luckily the ugly colors were over when we built our house. Mine is light almond.

Mines self cleaning as well~~~I clean it myself~~~ :)

pampchefrhondab said:
I can't wait for a new oven either! I want the dual convection too, but when my husband saw the price he said, "No way!" I'll just have to start selling more PC:)!
My new one (which is on order at Sears) is part of my grand kitchen plan: http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/my-kitchen-plan-23609. I've been wanting a new kitchen since we moved to this house in 2002. DH got his new garage, so now I get my kitchen. :)

Gee, thanks Greg for dele...HEY![Slim Pickens Voice] What in the wide, wide world of sports is a goin' on here? [/Slim Pickens Voice]

Ann your new kitchen is going to be so awesome! I'm jealous! Oh man, now I have to go to confession:)!

KG - you are too funny! I wondered what the he......

Related to How Long Should I Run the Self-Cleaning Cycle on My 19-Year-Old Electric Oven?

1. How often should I run the self-cleaning cycle on my 19-year-old electric oven?

It is recommended to run the self-cleaning cycle on your oven every 3-6 months, depending on how often you use it and how dirty it gets.

2. How long does the self-cleaning cycle take?

The self-cleaning cycle typically takes 2-3 hours to complete, but may vary slightly depending on the specific model of your oven.

3. Can I use the self-cleaning cycle for all types of oven messes?

The self-cleaning cycle is designed to clean up spills and food residue, but it is not recommended for extremely heavy or burnt-on messes. It is best to manually clean those before running the self-cleaning cycle.

4. Is it safe to leave the oven unattended during the self-cleaning cycle?

No, it is not recommended to leave the oven unattended while the self-cleaning cycle is running. It is important to closely monitor the oven and stay in the vicinity in case of any issues.

5. How do I know when the self-cleaning cycle is finished?

Most ovens will have an indicator light that turns off when the self-cleaning cycle is complete. You can also check the oven door to see if it has unlocked, as this is another sign that the cycle is finished.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • ptejhe
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ptejhe
Replies
Views
supermom