• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oven Mishap: My Self-Cleaning Cycle Caused Glass Door to Crack

In summary, the oven door on the self-clean cycle cracked due to the cold air hitting it. The oven is no longer under warranty, and the cost to fix it would be $65.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
I just got done running the self-cleaning cycle on my oven...haven't done it in a year. It was done and the timer has been beeping for awhile.

I opened the door up and when the cold room air hit the glass inside the door, it cracked!!!! I can't believe it...my stove is only 6 years old... :(

What? No way! That shouldn't of happened. Now, with my oven it won't let you open up the door on the self cleaning cycle until it's totally finished and cooled. Maybe that's why the ovens do that now? I'm so sorry!!

Awww, I am so sorry :(

Ugh! Is it still under warranty at all? I can't believe that happened!

That's awful! How big is the crack?
Have you called the manufacturer to see about replacement?

I called a few minutes ago - 6 years old - no longer under warranty...it went through the whole cycle (door locked). It was done with the 3 1/2 hour cycle for about 20 minutes already. The only thing I can figure is because I had the doors and windows all ope to ventilate...my house was about 60 that the cooler air caused it.

My fridge needs repair so I called on both...$65 each just for the service guy to come not counting parts...(sigh)...good thing I have a commision check coming on the 8th...

Bummer Janet! I am terriefied to run the cleaning cycle just because of this! My oven has a lock on it but it is low where my kids lock and unlock all the time. I am so scared to run the cleaning cycle because if they unlocked it all it does is beeb a few times telling you it is unlocked and they could be horribly burned or dead by the time it cools off!

Holy cow! I am hoping no one was hurt. My oven is very old and the timer doesn't even work on the self cleaning function anymore but it will not open until it cools down so I never know exactly how good it has been cleaned.
I wonder if your homeowner's insurance would cover this????? Do you rent or own?

I run my self cleaning cycle... on the stove... after the kids go to bed... which for a pregnant mom may not be the opportune time because I know you just want to crash too but at least I don't worry about them by the stove then.

Hang in there Janet! This stinks BUT it too shall pass.... Hugs!

Oh no - I am so sorry!~

quiverfull7 said:
I run my self cleaning cycle... on the stove... after the kids go to bed... which for a pregnant mom may not be the opportune time because I know you just want to crash too but at least I don't worry about them by the stove then.
That is a great idea! I didn't think to do it that late. Do most oven shut off after the cycle, or would I have to shut it off myself?

My old one and the newer one that my friend just gave me both shut themselves off and you cannot open the door until it is cooled off enough for the door lock to open.

My lock worked just fine...the cycle was fully completed and the oven was cooling...just a fluke I guess of the cold air hitting it...kind of like a stone cracking in the oven I guess...

The good thing at least is I just sold the extra washer I had to my sitter for $40 (hers just died) so that's $40 towards repairs...plus my commission on my show I submitted a few weeks ago... Should HOPEFULLY pay for repairs..

Gillian - if you oven in newer and has a cycle, it does lock mechanically and you can't open it for about 3 1/2 hours.

I only run mine during the day though because if there is any residue left in the oven between that and the high temps, it can have a lot of fumes/toxins released and I hate to have anyone in the house exposed to that...I open up doors and windows during the whole cycle.

Related to Oven Mishap: My Self-Cleaning Cycle Caused Glass Door to Crack

1) Can I still use my self-cleaning cycle if my oven's glass door cracked?

Unfortunately, it is not safe to continue using your oven's self-cleaning cycle if the glass door has cracked. The high temperatures and intense heat during the self-cleaning process can cause the crack to worsen and potentially shatter, leading to safety hazards and potential damage to your oven.

2) Why did my oven's glass door crack during the self-cleaning cycle?

The most common cause of a cracked glass door during the self-cleaning cycle is due to a manufacturing defect or a preexisting weakness in the glass. The extreme heat and temperature changes during the self-cleaning process can cause these defects to become more apparent and result in a crack.

3) Can I prevent my oven's glass door from cracking during the self-cleaning cycle?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent a crack from occurring during the self-cleaning cycle, there are some steps you can take to reduce the risk. These include ensuring that the oven is properly installed and maintained, avoiding slamming the door shut, and not using excessive force when opening or closing the door.

4) Is it safe to use my oven after the glass door has cracked during the self-cleaning cycle?

If the crack is minor and does not affect the functionality of the oven, it may still be safe to use. However, if the crack is significant or continues to worsen, it is best to stop using the oven and have it repaired or replaced by a professional.

5) What should I do if my oven's glass door cracks during the self-cleaning cycle?

If your oven's glass door cracks during the self-cleaning cycle, it is important to stop the cycle immediately and let the oven cool down. Do not attempt to open the door or use the oven until it has been inspected and repaired by a professional. Contact the manufacturer or a certified technician for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• identhobo
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies