• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Did a Black Friday Shopping Trip Turn Deadly?

In summary, Wal-Mart shoppers killed a man when they were eager to get ahead of the line. The man's family is grieving and disgusted. Southern California has seen two shootings on Black Friday, one of which involved an argument between two women that ended in two men shooting each other to death.
ragschef
This is so sad. How do you tell your family that your husband was kileed by eager shoppers?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081128/ap_on_re_us/wal_mart_death

I read this and couldn't believe it. That's crazy for something like this to happen. I pray for the family who has to grieve now for such a young man.

That is disgusting. What is wrong w/ people??

Thanks for sharing this, I had not heard it yet. I can't believe people are so selfish and greedy that they would let a man be hurt let alone killed. I think they should have taken every single person in that store and pressed charges on them. Even if they didn't do it, they didn't do anything but make it worse!

Where I live, a man punched a woman in the face over a Wii. Absolutely nuts

This is so insane. I have only ever done the Black Friday thing once and I will not do it again. I went out to one store at 11:30 this morning and they were out of one of the things on our list and we didn't care. We knew it could happen and were fine with that.

What happened in the story is disgusting. I just can't imagine what makes a person have so little respect for another person's life. It is horrible. So sad for that man and his family.

Down in Southern California...in Toys R Us ~ happened this morning...

Reported from Palm Dessert (Riverside County) an argument between two women started, then two men shot each other to death. The news did an interview with a gentleman whose wife called him from her cell phone who was inside of the store. She told him to tell their kids she loved them. A few times they got diconnected. The husband kept telling her to hide. The final call was made to him (by her ~ thank goodness!), she had to make via the police officer's phone.

WTF is wrong with people. This is why I stay home and dont deal with the craziness. It is amazing how crazy, rude and awful people in this world are!!!

How sad for this man's family - I'll never shop Black Friday because there are so many crazy people out there!

This is such a tragedy.I heard about a physical altercation between two women at Wal-Mart in Kokomo, IN, that resulted in the two of them being arrested. I thought that was bad until I heard the news report about the man who was killed.Yes, there are idiots out there on Black Friday. There are idiots every day of the year, they're just more concentrated on Black Friday. I don't stand in big crowds to get into a store when they open. (I will stand in an orderly line of 20 or so, but that's it.) If there is a mob of people in a particular area of a store, I avoid it. No bargain is worth that hassle. By following those personal rules, I had a great Black Friday shopping experience.

raebates said:
This is such a tragedy.

I heard about a physical altercation between two women at Wal-Mart in Kokomo, IN, that resulted in the two of them being arrested. I thought that was bad until I heard the news report about the man who was killed.

Yes, there are idiots out there on Black Friday. There are idiots every day of the year, they're just more concentrated on Black Friday. I don't stand in big crowds to get into a store when they open. (I will stand in an orderly line of 20 or so, but that's it.) If there is a mob of people in a particular area of a store, I avoid it. No bargain is worth that hassle. By following those personal rules, I had a great Black Friday shopping experience.

Rae, I really think that's what went wrong at the Wal-Mart in NY. This was only my third year of doing Black Friday, so I'm not an expert, but I've never been in a situation where we DIDN'T stand in a, at least somewhat, orderly line waiting for the doors to open. Then, when the doors opened employees and security made sure the line stayed orderly on entering.

While this was definitely the fault of the mob mentality, I think the store has to take some responsibility for not maintaining order.

We were at a mall yesterday morning (Black Friday) when many of the stores opened at 7am (some opened much earlier). There was a crowd outside of the Radio Shack, which grew minute by minute. I watched when they opened the roll up gate, and people definitely were not lined up to get in, but there also wasn't a mad rush of people pushing others out of the way! In fact, I wandered in to see what the big deal was, and while it was crowded people were still polite and patient.

As far as people punching each other and shooting each other - you're right, that's going to happen anywhere any day.

I've been out doing the Black Friday shopping for like 13+ years now and I love it!! I'm like Rae and I don't do craziness. You have to expect some lines simply because of the mass of people. But I also don't tolerate rude behavior. Thankfully, everyone that I've been in line next to, waiting to get in or check out, has always been pleasant and we have good conversations. I've heard horror stores, but thankfully, I've never been near any. This story is the saddest of any I've ever heard. It's amazing how greedy and uncaring people can be. I pray that God gives his family peace and an attitude of forgiveness during this horrific time.

I heard those stories & was shocked....what is wrong with people? Now did they really think being first to get some stupid game or whatever was worth ruining someone's life, & their family's Christmas?

Kitchen2u said:
Down in Southern California...in Toys R Us ~ happened this morning...

Reported from Palm Dessert (Riverside County) an argument between two women started, then two men shot each other to death. The news did an interview with a gentleman whose wife called him from her cell phone who was inside of the store. She told him to tell their kids she loved them. A few times they got diconnected. The husband kept telling her to hide. The final call was made to him (by her ~ thank goodness!), she had to make via the police officer's phone.

The news said the above incident was gang-related...nothing to do with shopping at all! Now why bring that stuff into a crowded mall/store??

As for the Wal-Mart incident, I choose to believe that, while people's behavior was reprehensible, they didn't realize that they had actually hurt someone while rushing into the store. I realize that may not be the case, but I have no way of knowing either way. In light of the mall shootings that have taken place in the past few years, maybe shopping should be added to the list of high-risk activities.

I hope the family take WalMart to court and wins a HUGE settlement!! I really wish these companies would stop the stupid 5 a.m. - only 6 in the store - type sales! If they choose to have them they should do it like Best Buy. They actually go down the line in order and ask the person what they are there to buy. They then get a tag to take up to the register. Once they run out then everyone knows not to wait in line anymore and don't mob the store!

My daughter went to to a store and they would only let so many people in at a time. Once 2-3 would leave they would let 2-3 more in the store as well!

She also went to Target to get an item in the ad - she was the first one to get one and there were only 3 in stock!!!! I'm sorry but that is just not right!

raebates said:
As for the Wal-Mart incident, I choose to believe that, while people's behavior was reprehensible, they didn't realize that they had actually hurt someone while rushing into the store. I realize that may not be the case, but I have no way of knowing either way.

In light of the mall shootings that have taken place in the past few years, maybe shopping should be added to the list of high-risk activities.
Great, now our insurance rates will go up if everyone is considered high-risk when they shop!

pampchefrhondab said:
I hope the family take WalMart to court and wins a HUGE settlement!! I really wish these companies would stop the stupid 5 a.m. - only 6 in the store - type sales! If they choose to have them they should do it like Best Buy. They actually go down the line in order and ask the person what they are there to buy. They then get a tag to take up to the register. Once they run out then everyone knows not to wait in line anymore and don't mob the store!

My daughter went to to a store and they would only let so many people in at a time. Once 2-3 would leave they would let 2-3 more in the store as well!

She also went to Target to get an item in the ad - she was the first one to get one and there were only 3 in stock!!!! I'm sorry but that is just not right!
I agree with you, I think it's totally crazy what they do to lure people into the stores. I've heard Best Buy gives out tickets that guarantees you a certain purchase and you can come back at any time that day to get it.

Insane! How sad!

I think for me maybe the absolute worst part of the story about the man killed at WalMart was that once people knew the man was killed and were told they were closing the store to take care of the matter, the shoppers got beligerent and refused to stop shopping because they had been in line, some since Thursday. I mean, I understand how it would be frustrating, but a man died!

pampchefrhondab said:
Last year my husband went to get a camera at KMart. He was the 3rd person. Neither of the people in front of him got what he was going for. He was told they were out of stock. What? How does that happen? :confused: He hasn't shopped at KMart since.

Kate, if it makes you feel any better, I believe the announcement that was made was that they were closing the store for a "medical emergency." The man died an hour later at the hospital. My guess is that people had no clue that someone was seriously injured. It doesn't make their behavior at the announcement right, but it's a little more understandable. At Staples they hand out certificates as people arrive. If they have 6 of the XXX that's on special, they have 6 certificates. As people arrive they go up, get the certificate for what they want, then get in line. Once those certificates are gone, they tell you, "I'm sorry, those are no longer available." It's a wonderful way to handle things. No pushing and shoving. Plus, if they only had 10 and the 10th was given out 20 minutes ago, you don't stand in line for another hour to find out they're out.

my dad LOVES black friday, but he shops it online... I like that idea!

From what I understand and have seen on the local news here (I live on LI) - the crowd was unruly and there was no organized line so to speak - I know my sister goes out every black friday and most stores give out numbers, or have security working the lines. Apparently Walmart did not at this store or a number of others on LI - It is extremely sad that this happened. I do think that the economy might have a bit in it as well, with everyone a little more desperate for deals - it still doesn't make it right that this poor man has lost his life and his family is now suffering!! I am appauled by the behavior of people lately! My heart and prayers go out to his family.

1. What happened during the Black Friday shopping trip that turned deadly?

According to reports, a crowd of eager shoppers broke down the doors of a Wal-Mart store in Long Island, New York, in an attempt to get inside and take advantage of the Black Friday deals. In the chaos, a 34-year-old man was trampled by the crowd and later died at a nearby hospital.

2. How common are incidents like this on Black Friday?

While there have been other incidents of violence and injuries during Black Friday shopping events, deaths are rare. However, the intense competition for deals and the large crowds can create a dangerous environment.

3. How do you tell your family that your husband was killed by eager shoppers?

This is a devastating and difficult situation for anyone to face. It is important to be honest and open with your family, but also to be sensitive to their emotions and reactions. Seeking support from friends, family, or a professional therapist can also be helpful during this difficult time.

4. What safety measures should retailers take to prevent incidents like this on Black Friday?

Retailers should take precautions to manage and control crowds, such as limiting the number of people allowed in the store at one time, providing clear and visible safety instructions, and having adequate security personnel on site. They should also consider offering online deals or extending sales to reduce the pressure for shoppers to physically be in the store on Black Friday.

5. How can we educate and remind shoppers about the importance of safety during Black Friday shopping?

Retailers and media outlets can help by promoting safety tips and guidelines for shoppers, such as staying calm and not rushing in crowds, following store instructions, and being aware of their surroundings. Families and friends can also remind each other to prioritize safety and not let the excitement of deals overshadow basic precautions for personal safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefShalon
  • WLMcCoy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sklay723
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies