• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Feeling a Little Burned Out/Bummed Today

In summary, Kathy is feeling overwhelmed with her business, her hours at her job, and her overall workload. She is also frustrated with the number of fundraisers she is working and the low amount of money she is making. She is considering taking a few days for herself to regroup.
Kathytnt
May be PMSing for all I know. I was so gung ho when I got home from confrence and had all these grand plans for getting organized etc. Now I am just as stuck as before and still not feeling organized enough. Feeling a little overwhelmed with the number of shows this month.
Bummed because my life was touched by that pathetic guy that killed innocent young men. For those of you that don't know in Dallas the other morning a young man appeared to have had a one vehicle accident. Several young men approached is car to try o offer aid and they were shot. Two died. One was the cousin of one of my co-workers.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070813/ap_on_re_us/freeway_shootout
I am still making little money because most of my shows are fundraisers and I give all the money to the fundraiser participants. I need to modify my program but not sure how too. Working so hard and making very little is very frustrating.
I should be really excited right now because I have a recruit interview this afternoon before work. This will be the 5th person I have signed - If she chooses to joing the business. I guess I am just a little tired and frustrated.

Sometimes I don't feel like I am very good at this business because looks like I will probably have my third person go inactive next month - Should I feel bad over kit-nappers??

There is so much I love about this business but I guess I am just feeling a little overwhelmed. My hours at my PT job get a little spastic. Sometimes I am working days - Sometimes I am working nights. My hubby needs his time when I am home evenings so I feel guilty when I am making calls.

I know what you mean. {{{{hugs}}}}

Kathy, stop giving your commission away!!!!!!!!! Base your donation on the total sales.

Give an extra 5% if they get $1000 in orders (or whatever it takes to get them to reach their goals).

It sounds to me that you need to take a few days for yourself to regroup. We all have days (and weeks, and months) like this, but it's all worth it in the long run. I'm sooo very sorry about your co-worker's cousin. Something like that can put any of us in a fowl, is-it-worth-it kind of mood. Just keep your chin up. You want to have a good attitude when you meet with your recruit. As far as the person you think is going to go inactive next month... give her a call to pump her up and maybe you will encourage yourself at the same time. Good luck, and keep smiling :D .

My Director is not a chase people down type of person. I have offered the lady that is going inactive many opportunites for training calls - Invited her to our cluster meetings etc. I can never reach her at home and only able to reach her at work. Her 90 days is up on 9/5 She put-together her business binder but hasn't even confirmed to be that she has received her changeover kit. When she signed she talked about going back to school this fall well she was already busy now she will be even busier

How about something like donating $5 for each order of $50? You'd still earn about $2.50 commission on it. You could also donate $10 for each show booked and held within a certain time, say three months. That donation would be given when the new show was actually closed. Just a thought....

Kathy,
Only "share" your commission if it is a cause you are directly involved in. Why wouldn't everyone want to have a fundraiser with you....
once the word gets out you give up your commission.
I am working with our local boy scout group they will get 10% of my commission. WHY?? Because like an idiot I quickly printed a form from the files here changed it to my info sealed it in the packet & delivered it. A few days later they were ecstatic by my generosity?? I was like HMMMM so I reread the copies I made for myself sure enough it says I will donate 10%. Typically I give 5%
I won't go back on the offer but i WILL clearly read next time

I will have a fundraiser clinic coming up and do you know how hard it is to present 10-15% when the Tupperware lady is pitching her program that they will earn 40% and the Arbonne lady offer 35% . The Arbonne rep gets a 35% disount on her products and from what I understand the Tupperward fundraiser is just on certain products

Mine are all cancer fundraisers - I joined PC to do fundraisers but now it seem that when I want to do more cooking shows to balance it out that the fundraisers are taking over. The average person could give up the commision on a fe fundraiser but when you have a really high percentage of fundraisers it hurts the old pocketbook

thta is true but, not everyone uses Arbonne products & TW is somewhat limited to storage and a few gadgets we offer a little of everything.

I know you believe in your product, so sell the benefits and features of it, not the downside of our fundraising program....

In other words if you promote it as great they will see it as great, if you are offering extra perks to enhance it they see it as needing improved.

I hope this doesn't sound like a lecture because it wasn't intended to, emails are hard to convey a "tone". It was merely a suggestion on how to get out of the rut.

Teresa - I understand what you are saying. I am not even sure if the Arbonne lady is even involved any more I enjoy the shows but the burn out factor gets pretty high when you are making very little money

Kathytnt said:
I will have a fundraiser clinic coming up and do you know how hard it is to present 10-15% when the Tupperware lady is pitching her program that they will earn 40% and the Arbonne lady offer 35% . The Arbonne rep gets a 35% disount on her products and from what I understand the Tupperward fundraiser is just on certain products
Another thing to consider with TW FRs is that they mark up their products so the FR price is 40% higher than the regular price. You don't need to make a huge deal about this, but you can mention that "Our fundraiser features useful items at our regular competitive prices. Fundraiser customers can even take advantage of any specials during the month of the sale."

chefann said:
Another thing to consider with TW FRs is that they mark up their products so the FR price is 40% higher than the regular price. You don't need to make a huge deal about this, but you can mention that "Our fundraiser features useful items at our regular competitive prices. Fundraiser customers can even take advantage of any specials during the month of the sale."

I try to emphasise that since PC isn't marking up products for FR's, they aren't making any more money on the products than if the FR was a regular Cooking Show... I say it a bit different, but am brain dead right now and can't come up with any of my "lines"

katie0128 said:
I try to emphasise that since PC isn't marking up products for FR's, they aren't making any more money on the products than if the FR was a regular Cooking Show... I say it a bit different, but am brain dead right now and can't come up with any of my "lines"
You're brain dead because you were up in the middle of the night. How do I know? Because you updated the Leadership Countdown thread at 12:30 this morning!

TW does mark up their prices. They have a special "FR only" catalog with only some of their products and they are all marked up. I know because I teach preschool and the brochure is in our office.

Well one of the guys that hosts the clinic is a police officer and he talks about how wonderful TW is at every clinic - Excuse me but you hav eother people speaking about fundraisers too Have you tried a PC fundraiser yet? Kind of makes me feel like I am behind the 8 ball when I am busting my hump and this guy talks about how wonderful TW is

Is he married to the TW lady?

Cindycooks said:
TW does mark up their prices. They have a special "FR only" catalog with only some of their products and they are all marked up. I know because I teach preschool and the brochure is in our office.

I just bought something from TW from their FR brochure and it was over double the price in the catalog to compensate for the donation. Bogus!

Kathytnt said:
My Director is not a chase people down type of person. I have offered the lady that is going inactive many opportunites for training calls - Invited her to our cluster meetings etc. I can never reach her at home and only able to reach her at work. Her 90 days is up on 9/5 She put-together her business binder but hasn't even confirmed to be that she has received her changeover kit. When she signed she talked about going back to school this fall well she was already busy now she will be even busier

The bottom line is that we can never make someone work if they don't want to. I heard the best thing today, THIS BUSINESS IS RIGHT FOR EVERYONE, BUT NOT EVERYONE IS RIGHT FOR THIS BUSINESS.

So true! Don't waste your time getting her to work! You'll end up working harder on her business than she does and harder that you're working on your own!

The old saying is true... if you can't change your people, change your people.

No Colleen - He is not married to her. He is singl as far as I know. I just don't think her realized how uncomfortable it makes the other presenters when he is gushing about TW when there are other speakers present

Kathy... just simply take a few days to yourself. Regroup your thoughts. Are you trying to implement EVERYTHING you learned in Chicago? Pick three of the ideas that are most intriging to you and work on those first! If you try to change your whole system of course you will be overwhelmed and feel like it is all for nothing! Another thing... WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS! Even if it is only those three things so that you have to look at them every day. We have only been home for 25 days! Don't be so hard on yourself! Since I have met you at our CS meeting I can tell you that you have the perfect attitude for phone calling... your happiness is contagious... use that to your advantage! Call some of your past fundraiser hosts and try to set up a cooking show! You helped them... now they can help you!

*snugs*

I know it is hard for you but I really think you need to cut back on how much you are giving the fundraisers of your commission. Maybe 5% for under $1000 and 10% for over $1000 and to increase bookings maybe give 5% on any shows booked from the fundraiser to the organization. That way you get something for all the hard work you do to make the fundraisers successful and you give something to the fundraising organization.

Point out the benefits of a PC fundraiser - we don't raise our prices, the entire catalog is available, and our products are great quality with fantastic warranties.

Brandi - You are too sweet Wish me luck I am heading to my recruit interview

Kathytnt said:
Brandi - You are too sweet Wish me luck I am heading to my recruit interview

Good luck. Let us know how the meeting goes.

Oh, Miss Kathy, I remember when you posted this type of e-mail before. You HAVE to take some time right now for yourself. What makes you relax? A warm bubble bath, taking a walk with music...you need to first turn it all off.

Then when you are refreshed...make a promise to yourself to restructure your fundraising activities. You are giving more than your commission away, you are giving too much of yourself away. If you want to volunteer for these organizations do so in a way that you can see how it directly affects a real live person. That way you will feel rewarded in a way that money can't buy!

I get discouraged with our fundraising procedures too, but I really would resent paying for the mark up that others have described on this thread. And I too will select who I donate to. My nephew's Senior Class...they got it all. There was no way I could have given him the money I earned for his class other than the fundraiser. I looked at it as helping me get my trip and TPC. But that isn't the case with many others. Cancer, I tend to give more. But other groups...unless they really put forth an effort...they can't get it all!

Now...I will need to come back in a month and take my own advice because my full time job will be winding up full force. In a month I will be pulling my hair out!!!

I will tell you that I too am not taking my post NC excitement and using it to the max. I wanted so much to put Les Hewitt's Focus on Success into action but I haven't. I ordered from his company and although I was charged, I still haven't received the material. Now the adult thing to do would be to contact them and work with what materials he gave us at conference....but seems as if I too am not putting my best foot forward. We need to give each other hugs and then kick each other in the butt!!

Please take some time for you as others have suggested. I plan on doing this too.

Last edited:
I guess I am just scared that my business will drop off a lot but if I only get the serious fundraisers I have time for more profitable show

If anyoe else has a chart of how they dow fundraisers that they kick int a little to it would be helpful

I love you gals/guys {{{HUGS}}} back at you

The recruit interview went well too

Here is something I got off this website for a breakdown.

Glad to hear the meeting went well.

Attachments

• Breakdown.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for the breakdown - I am usually only work with 1 - max 4 people so far. Possbily I can modify the form for a smaller group.

The last couple of days I have just been feeling so tired and I am not sure why. Abnormally tired. The heat index has been up but I am not sure why I am feeling so exhausted. It's like I haven't slept but I have.

Oh Kathy, I feel you (well not really) but you kwim.
PM me and I might be able to help. TMI for the board.

My host that cancelled on me lst week has not rescheduled - I now have 4 cooking shows in an 8 day period - I am tired just thinking about it but it will make for an awesome August I originally tried to spead these all out so they were not too close together but that worked real well didin't it

Kathy, that's a great problem to have! Think of all your commission! And you can make it easier on yourself by doing the same recipe at all of those shows, so you don't have to repack your kit.

But my host for Saturday is also unreachable. I have called and e-mailed. What is with people. We have not even picked something for her show yet. I have already gotten a note from a guest (booked form another show) I will see you at Ashley's show. But I can't reach Ashley

Kathy, Sounds like you are depressed. You might want to see your doctor and see if he/she has any suggestions to help get you past this.

Like others said, take time for yourself when you can. Don't worry about all those shows. Think of one at a time. Put your pre-show tasks for each on the calendar and they won't seem quite so overwhelming. Same recipe for all it also a great idea. Make it simple and the momentum will build with each one. Don't forget to ask for future bookings at those shows (your being overwhelmed could stop you from asking!).

As far as fundraisers are concerned: If I am directly involved with a group I donate my commission but otherwise I do not. PC does not raise their price for fundraisers and that is a big plus. I point out that they are paying premium prices for products with other companies and we do not raise our prices. Sure, I don't get as many fundraisers as I would like because they see 15% and go away. Their loss - if they want to pay $20 for a $10 item so be it. But I am not willing to go through all that work and expense without getting SOME reward - as it is PC cuts our commission on them from other shows. (I DO offer incentives for getting the FR to certain levels though and I make it as easy for them as I can.)

I may be a little depressed (PMS) but I normally don't get this really tired feeling that I am having right now. I am taking vitamin C every few hours in case I am starting to come down with somethin

As far as the number of shows - I can only think of them as points and some commision because two of the shows are fundraisers under my current program. I have already been contacted by one that she needs to reschedule. I am sorry - I don't mean to whine about having a high number of shows. It's just that hubby has to feel he is getting his share of my time too. I just feel like I am pulled in so many directions at times.

I am sorry - It feels overwhelming. I wish I had more time for PC but hubby is talking budget budget budget all the time lately so I have been having to up my hours at the PT job which is almost full-time now. I have been feeling overwhelmed already because I have catalog fundraisers going on at the same time and I just can't get organized. I am so worried I am going to forget someone. Then all the supplies for September is piling in and I need to get all those packets out also. Plus all the labelling and stamping OH MY!

Breathe in - Breathe out

I better go get to work!

Love you guys {{{HUGS}}}

I will go take some more of my PMS meds and refill that prescription. I swear I am going to start marking this stuff on the calendar do I know when to expect it

I don't know when to take a couple of days off for myself as everyone is suggesting?

Kathytnt said:
I don't know when to take a couple of days off for myself as everyone is suggesting?
It doesn't sound like "days off" is a possibility. How about moments.

Find time to smell the flowers. Shut your eyes for 10 minutes. Things like that.

I had a conversation the other day with my son about why men spend so much time in the bathroom. He said that that is the only way they can get a few minutes to themselves for some quiet time and to relax. Maybe you should go lock yourself in the bathroom.:p

Last edited:
Kathytnt said:
I may be a little depressed (PMS) but I normally don't get this really tired feeling that I am having right now. I am taking vitamin C every few hours in case I am starting to come down with something.
I think Beth was referring to something more than just PMS-related depression. It's nothing to be ashamed about - lots of people have a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes clinical depression. There is medication that can help the physical causes and symptoms. Heck- I probably should be on something, but that would require going to the doctor. :rolleyes:

As for feeling like you're being pulled, make sure you control your calendar, even on reschedules. If you don't usually do shows on Monday, then by all means don't let someone reschedule for a Monday, no matter how much you want to keep it as a live show.

LOL - I never knew - Secrets of Men LOL!

We had guys at my work that would take the paper in the bathroom - THIS IS AT WORK Do you bathroom paper reading at home. I joked with tham that if they had time to read the paper they need more fiber in their diet

Kathytnt said:
LOL - I never knew - Secrets of Men LOL!

We had guys at my work that would take the paper in the bathroom - THIS IS AT WORK Do you bathroom paper reading at home. I joked with tham that if they had time to read the paper they need more fiber in their diet
I KNOW! :yuck: I never got it how I could be in and out and everyone of them takes forever (I lived with 6 "men)! I think it's something they share when they do the man talk. :rolleyes:

Ann - I understand what she means. I do get a little depressed each month. You guys may have noticed that already but not realized that there is a pattern. I was seeing docs for years. The problem is with this cyclical type of depression it sneaks up on me and I don't even realize it until I start feeling overwhelmed.

One day my husand and I were watching 'Everyone loves Raymond' and they had an episode about Debra and her 'xitchy' pills. Well we kind of joke about my meds that I got from my endocrinologist. They are a prescirption progesterone cream that seems to do the trick. But I just have to realize that I am going through it.

I had been treated in the past with anti-depressants - i used to have depression so bad I was practically a hermit and just wanted to sleep all day. This is not what is going on right now.

I was so afraid to meet the Chef Success folks at conference because I was afraid they would think there was going to be a dark cloud over my head. LOL!

I do get disappointed and frustrated at time when hosts cancel at the last minute or can't even bother to call back. If they cancel a show at the last minute have they bothered to call their guests and cancelled with them too? I guess I worry too much

My husband gets that dark cloud (and it can get VERY black) a lot but he is very aware of it and has been able to work through it without going to the doctor so far. He always cheers up about the time I am ready to give him the ultimatum - make the appointment or I will.

Kathy, try to see the bright side in things. Take the meds you need. Tell your doctor when things seem out of your control.

Do one thing at a time so you don't feel overwhelmed. LAUGH about things (even if you don't feel like it). Smile at others as you pass them. You will be surprised how good that makes YOU feel.

We had a family reunion when my son was about 13 and he was really moody. My husband said "you may not be having fun but ACT LIKE you are". Funny thing - he did act like it and ended up HAVING fun!

I guess it's been especailly bad this week because of the incident I mentioned in the first post on this thread. The more I find out about the young men that were killed the more sad it is. It was just a senseless killing that we will probably neve know why it happened. There hasn't been much in the media but since I know one of the families I am a little closer to the situation.

I will let you know that I chatted with one of my recruits yesterday and she would never know that I was a little down - I was very up on the phone.

I will talk to my recruit prospect this afternoon and she will never know either

Being around people helps - being home so much by myself during the day is not good

One thing that Duska Mills mentioned last FD call was don't vent to your recruits or you spouse I guess this is my venting place and I get a lot of love and positive from all of you wonderful people!

Well VENT AWAY!! We're here for you!

And I do have those young men in my prayers too. I don't understand a lot of what happens in the world but then are we supposed to?

PS: Instead of staying at home - go shopping! I mean PC shopping. Wear something PC/carry something that says PC/go grocery shopping with a catalog or cookbook. Give reasons for people to talk with you about your business (or other way around). Do errands that you might now be doing at night, taking away from that DH time...

Kathy - sometimes depression can be caused by something physically wrong also. I was at a point at the beginning of the summer where I was SOOOOO tired and everything seemed overwhelming. Some days, I didn't know how I was going to make it out of bed (and I have a 3 yr old!) and if I had a show, I had to rest the whole day before and the whole day after the show.

I finally found a naturopathic Dr. who did some testing that no other Dr. had ever done - and came back with the info that not only did I have "low, active thyroid" but that I also had Epstein Barr Virus, and Lyme Disease. I have been on several homeopathic Meds for about 2 months, and am feeling better than I have felt in YEARS! I had forgotten what it felt like to be able to get up in the morning and feel good! I would encourage you to be your own health advocate, and keep searching until you get answers! I am so glad I finally did!

I don't know what you use for a calendar program but tracking your cycle can really help. I used outlook and even set it up for reminders a day or two before I expect the problems to hit which helps a lot.

Honestly I have been feeling achy in my legs and joints and back since conference and now the tired part has really hit in the last few days. I thought t might be mild dehyrdartion but I don't know. My endo always checks my thyroid. I know my vitamin D and b-12 (mildly anemic) and testosterone (yes, women have testosterone levels) were low last visit. You know that tired in your head/eyes feeling when you have gone a long time without sleep. I have been sleeping fine but still feel really tired.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. Have you thought of PMDD? It is where you have depression/anxiety before your period.
I can tell you from experience that anxiety and depression do have physical symptoms as well. When you were talking about the sleeping thing that is the first thing I thought of.

Hmmmm PMDD I have heard of that but not sure what it is

Could this also be why I am stressing more about my weight than any othe time of the month??

Kathytnt said:
Hmmmm PMDD I have heard of that but not sure what it is
Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder.
This is from the pmdd.org website (NOTE: it's actually a site run by a company that makes medication for PMDD - imagine that!)

PMDD is a distinct medical condition. Common symptoms include irritability, sadness, sudden mood changes, tension, bloating, and breast tenderness. The many symptoms of PMDD can markedly interfere with your daily activities and relationships and can make you feel out of control. Some women describe PMDD as frustrating, surprising, tiring, or even isolating. It can take away your enjoyment of family, friends, or work. Some think it’s part of being a woman or PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome). But for millions it is PMDD.

While PMDD is not fully understood, many doctors believe it may be caused by an imbalance of a chemical in the body called serotonin. The normal cyclical changes in female hormones may interact with serotonin and other chemicals, and the changes may result in the mood and physical symptoms of PMDD.

With PMDD, it may seem like you only suffer a few days a month, but those days add up. In fact, you can spend up to 25 percent of your childbearing years dealing with these symptoms. You may have even noticed that your symptoms are more bothersome now than when you were younger. It’s not your imagination – if left untreated PMDD symptoms can worsen with age.

I highlighted seratonin. That's one of the brain chemicals that, when imbalanced, causes depression. So if you'd been receiving treatment for depression, it could help with PMDD, but would be over-kill during the other parts of your cycle.

hmmm... just read more on their site. The medication they're pushing contains fluoxetine hydrochloride, the active ingredient in Prozac (and you do NOT wanna be on that - I have a very scary book about it I can lend you).

<h2>1. How can I manage feeling overwhelmed with the number of shows I have this month?</h2><p>It can be challenging to balance a busy schedule, but there are a few things you can do to manage feeling overwhelmed. First, make sure to prioritize your tasks and focus on one thing at a time. It can also be helpful to delegate tasks or ask for help when needed. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help you feel more refreshed and motivated to tackle your tasks.</p><h2>2. How can I modify my program to make more money?</h2><p>One option could be to re-evaluate the structure of your fundraisers and see if there are any changes you can make to increase your profit. You could also consider offering additional services or products to your clients, or reaching out to new potential customers through marketing or networking efforts.</p><h2>3. How can I handle the disappointment of losing a team member?</h2><p>It's natural to feel upset when a team member goes inactive, but it's important to remember that this is a common occurrence in direct sales businesses. Instead of dwelling on the negative, focus on supporting and training your current team members and continue to grow your team by recruiting new members.</p><h2>4. How can I balance my personal life with my business?</h2><p>Finding a balance between work and personal life can be challenging, especially if you have a hectic schedule. One approach could be to sit down and plan out your week, making sure to schedule in time for your family and yourself. It's also important to communicate with your loved ones about your schedule and make sure to prioritize quality time together.</p><h2>5. How do I cope with feeling burned out and unmotivated?</h2><p>Running a business can be exhausting, and it's normal to feel burned out or unmotivated from time to time. The key is to take care of yourself and recognize when you need a break. This could mean taking a day off, practicing self-care activities, or talking to a colleague or mentor for support and motivation. It's also important to remember your why and the reasons you started this business in the first place.</p>

Related to Feeling a Little Burned Out/Bummed Today

1. How can I manage feeling overwhelmed with the number of shows I have this month?

It can be challenging to balance a busy schedule, but there are a few things you can do to manage feeling overwhelmed. First, make sure to prioritize your tasks and focus on one thing at a time. It can also be helpful to delegate tasks or ask for help when needed. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help you feel more refreshed and motivated to tackle your tasks.

2. How can I modify my program to make more money?

One option could be to re-evaluate the structure of your fundraisers and see if there are any changes you can make to increase your profit. You could also consider offering additional services or products to your clients, or reaching out to new potential customers through marketing or networking efforts.

3. How can I handle the disappointment of losing a team member?

It's natural to feel upset when a team member goes inactive, but it's important to remember that this is a common occurrence in direct sales businesses. Instead of dwelling on the negative, focus on supporting and training your current team members and continue to grow your team by recruiting new members.

4. How can I balance my personal life with my business?

Finding a balance between work and personal life can be challenging, especially if you have a hectic schedule. One approach could be to sit down and plan out your week, making sure to schedule in time for your family and yourself. It's also important to communicate with your loved ones about your schedule and make sure to prioritize quality time together.

5. How do I cope with feeling burned out and unmotivated?

Running a business can be exhausting, and it's normal to feel burned out or unmotivated from time to time. The key is to take care of yourself and recognize when you need a break. This could mean taking a day off, practicing self-care activities, or talking to a colleague or mentor for support and motivation. It's also important to remember your why and the reasons you started this business in the first place.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pchefgagnon
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pchefgagnon
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • Kathytnt