• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Vent - How Can I Avoid Pushing Hosts to Do a Show?

In summary, Jae tried to push his host to do a show and the host declined. Jae brought a lot of food and money to the show and the sales barely made $150. Jae learned a valuable lesson and will be able to take "No's" over the phone much easier now.
kam
Staff member
I am new and I just had my 3rd show tonight. Not a very good show, but I learned 2 valuable lessons tonight.

1. Begging, pleading, asking for someone to host a show: DON'T DO IT. If they do not want to do a show - do not "push" it. My host tonight originally said she would do a show for me when I signed. She changed her mind, but I really wanted her to do the show - so I was almost to the point of pleading for her to do the show. She then agreed to do the show.

2. Do not go overboard with the food. Since I felt guilty about "forcing" her to do the show - I overcompensated with what I was bringing and preparing. Since my director would have normally done the show - and she provides all the ingredients - I did too.

Bottom line: A lot of EFFORT spent on preparing a lot of food. A lot of MONEY spent on the food. And I had a host who just wasn't into it and the sales barely made $150 (and no bookings).

I am glad she had the show as it gave me more experience -- which is really what I needed. I am just bummed because I am so tired at all the effort and not a lot to show for it.

I know there will be shows like this, but I really think it was partially my fault since I feel like I pushed her to have the show.

I will now be able to take "No's" over the phone much easier now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I'm sorry this happened to you but glad that you learned a valuable lesson. Another lesson you might want to learn is trying out Big MAC calls. Call all your guests (especially the ones that couldn't make it - if you have those numbers) and ask if they had fun, offer a couple of recipes for the products they ordered, offer complimentary products (a cutting board if they got the chopper or a knife) and ask if they need any gifts for the upcoming holiday season. Also ask if they would be interested in hosting an easy entertaining or homemade for the holidays show, if not, ask for a referral. It is amazing how people can be more receptive after the show!

Learn early from your mistakes and you won't waste so much time or money. I wasted quite a bit of money and time in my first few months. Don't do more than what PC trains you to do in the beginning. Just make your three contacts a day and host coach, and you'll do great. The one extra thing I'd do from the beginning, which I do now, is send the invites for the hosts. From this site I've learned not to give the host packed to the potential host until you get the addresses. Get those a 3 weeks to a month ahead of time or give the date to someone else. Live and learn. :)

Yes, I am happy to have learned this early.

I keep reading on this board about limiting the number of recipes that we bring to the show. All the recipes were such a huge hit that I thought for sure it would translate to more sales!! It does not.

I am not so sure how receptive many would be to receiving calls from me - it was like pulling teeth to get email addresses out of a few! I had to assure them I would only email a newsletter once a month.

During the show I am already offering recipes for products they order. I mention some ideas for certain products and say that I will email them some recipes and ideas for using XXXX. No bites tonight.

During my first show I offered the Prep Bowl 2-page recipe booklet I got from here with any Prep Bowl order and I got 3 ordered (out of 4 guests).

There was nothing ordered tonight that I could even give recipes for (spreaders, serving spatulas, Bamboo sets).

JAE: I have been considering doing the invite thing - but concerned about the time and cost. That is what is holding me back. Do you do this for any number of guests - or do they have to have a list of atleast 40?

Last edited:
I just do it for any amount of guests. I think some people do it no matter what, but the host has to reimburse. I also think I've heard that consultants offer to pay the postage if show sales are at least $500 or something. You would just add the postage cost to the show total when the host pays you for the orders. I have offered a free mini serving spatula to everyone if they give me 40 names and addresses, but I've only had 1 person take me up on it for the 12 shows that I've sent invites. I always put on the postcard "bring a friend get a gift" and I put my contact information with my website on the postcard, too. I also don't waste invites by giving 40 away to the host while she only uses 20 or less. If you send them out you know they go out and they go out on time. I had a host cancel because she never got around to printing her homemade invites so she couldn't send them. She rescheduled for about 2.5 months later, and I offered to print out the invites from Consultant Corner (CC) and send them out for her. I don't buy the food, and I don't want to make more than one recipe. I'm still working on that. I'm much better focused when I only make one thing.

It is a tough lesson to learn, and a good one! Most consultants don't get it until farther along in their businesses. You sound VERY smart! Keep up the good work!

1. What is Host Vent and how does it work?

Host Vent is a program offered by Pampered Chef to our hosts who have previously hosted a party. It allows them to earn free and discounted products by hosting another party and inviting their friends and family. As a host, you can earn points for every dollar spent by your guests, which can then be redeemed for our exclusive products.

2. How do I sign up for Host Vent?

If you have previously hosted a party with Pampered Chef, you are automatically enrolled in Host Vent. Simply login to your account and start inviting your friends and family to earn points towards free and discounted products. If you are a new host, you can sign up for Host Vent during your party and start earning points right away.

3. Can I combine Host Vent points with other offers or discounts?

Yes, you can combine your Host Vent points with any other offers or discounts that Pampered Chef is currently running. This allows you to maximize your savings and get even more of our amazing products for free or at a discounted price.

4. How long do I have to use my Host Vent points?

Your Host Vent points are valid for one year from the date of your party. This gives you plenty of time to redeem your points for the products you want. You can also earn more points by hosting another party within the year and inviting more guests.

5. Are there any restrictions on which products I can redeem with my Host Vent points?

No, there are no restrictions on which products you can redeem with your Host Vent points. You can choose from our entire product line, including our exclusive and limited edition items. This allows you to get the products you love and use the most for free or at a discounted price.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • ChefMommyof3Boys