• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Dead Beat Hosts: A Frustration-Filled Vent Session

V
vwpamperedchef
I just really need to vent. I was supposed to have a show tonight with one of my aunt's co workers, who I called four seperate times, once speaking to her spouse and she never had the decency to return my calls. She told my aunt she didnt intend on hosting, but never called me back.

Now, my SIL just texted me and said that Feb 22 will not work for her, when I just mailed her host packet and I hand wrote all the invites for her because I know she would not do it. (usually I do do labels, but I had run out at this point.) I am so aggraved. So I called my SIL and left a really detailed message like "we made this plan a month ago and I dont know why it won't work for you, but I am really counting on your show for my Feb sales". I know the guilt trip, but really its so aggravating. Esp. when its family.

Anyway, my Feb was looking bare, and I have 3 shows, and now if she cancels, just 2. I am bummed.

Just had to vent. Thanks for reading.:mad:

My January was like that. 1 host rescheduled a week before her party because she said no one was coming. Another host called me (finally) two days before her party that we had just scheduled two weeks before to say she had to reschedule. The third (who is semi family and I trust completely and am not too worried about) switched to a catalog show that now switched to a February catalog show! Must be the time for flakey hosts! And the time for me to strongly consider sending out my invites.

I seriously thought about just showing up at the hosts house tonite, or calling her and saying "see you tonight". UGH! Sooooo annoyed.

I had a show this past Saturday that ended up being me and the host. :grumpy: Everyone who was supposed to come didn't. :mad: I told her she has until the 30th to collect $150 in guest sales. I need to submit $100 in sales for this month or I will go inactive! :eek:

So I'm totally feeling your frustration. I can't stress about it since it ultimately is out of my control.

Sorry to vent on your thread. :balloon:

vwpamperedchef said:
I seriously thought about just showing up at the hosts house tonite, or calling her and saying "see you tonight". UGH! Sooooo annoyed.

I tried telling all my hosts last summer that I rely on their booking as I rely on my regular job. That I needed at least 3 weeks notice if they wanted to cancel their party. That didn't work either, they just don't get it sometimes. My favorite is the MIA host. Why else do they think we spend time and money trying to help them if they just cannot say no. I thank people who come out and tell me no. I had one potential host who kept apologizing that she couldn't have a party. I think I shocked her when I said "Thank you, I appreciate you being honest with me!" I'd rather have someone just say no or cancel their party than to ignore me.

Exactly. I couldnt agree more about honesty, although I just received another text from my SIL and she said "John and I decided to go away that weekend, and I can't get 2 people to come, sorry nothing I can do". Let me just tell you, that she is a flake and that is why I did everything for this show all she had to do was INVITE THE PEOPLE. I told her I would do everything else. Trust me, I know there are at least 5 people who would come being in the family. So I know she is full of it.

Thanks again for letting me vent. Back to cleaning the office!

vwpamperedchef said:
Exactly. I couldnt agree more about honesty, although I just received another text from my SIL and she said "John and I decided to go away that weekend, and I can't get 2 people to come, sorry nothing I can do". Let me just tell you, that she is a flake and that is why I did everything for this show all she had to do was INVITE THE PEOPLE. I told her I would do everything else. Trust me, I know there are at least 5 people who would come being in the family. So I know she is full of it.

Thanks again for letting me vent. Back to cleaning the office!

I've had very successful shows with little or NO attendance. I had a $500 show earlier this month for a host who had no one show up. It's all in the effort the host puts into the show. I had a $700 show for my sister last year with only 2 guests in attendance.

I am so sorry for you all, I feel your pain too! I had a host book a Feb show from her sis in law in Sept. then called two weks ago and changed the date, then called again Friday and said she had to fly out today to see a sick family member, so I was P***** and I asked for my 5 catalogs back that I sent her in the mail along with invites etc... she said she would but she has not, and today I get an "friendship" e mail from her???? whatever...

vwpamperedchef said:
I'd do that anyway. And if she says anything, tell her that, "You never called me back to let me know you were cancelling, so I figured we were still on." It won't help your situation for tonight, but maybe she'll start to learn that she needs to exercise some courtesy.

chefann said:
I'd do that anyway. And if she says anything, tell her that, "You never called me back to let me know you were cancelling, so I figured we were still on." It won't help your situation for tonight, but maybe she'll start to learn that she needs to exercise some courtesy.

I think Ann is right (like always), I would call and leave that message and then she WILL call you back.

I am not that gutsy

I Will Go With You!!!! What Time!!!>>>????

vwpamperedchef said:
I am not that gutsy
Aw, comeon! Do it! Doooooo it!!

peer pressure!!

<giggle>

MORFIA said:
I Will Go With You!!!!

What Time!!!>>>????
You are too funny Morfia! Are you turning into the Pampered Chef Mafia?!?! LMAO

"We're having a Pampered Chef Party tonight or I'll have to hurt you with this Mix N Chop!" :chef:

too funny.

wadesgirl said:
I tried telling all my hosts last summer that I rely on their booking as I rely on my regular job. That I needed at least 3 weeks notice if they wanted to cancel their party. That didn't work either, they just don't get it sometimes. My favorite is the MIA host. Why else do they think we spend time and money trying to help them if they just cannot say no. I thank people who come out and tell me no. I had one potential host who kept apologizing that she couldn't have a party. I think I shocked her when I said "Thank you, I appreciate you being honest with me!" I'd rather have someone just say no or cancel their party than to ignore me.

Yes! Honestly is great. I wish more people would just say "no" rather than string me along.

ok, so for everyone that knows me (Morfia, Heatherkiss) you know that I am not really a phone person. Well I called the host for tonite and I am shaking from the message I left I said

"Hi Patty, this is Vanessa with TPC, I am looking forward (yeah right) to your show this evening. I am sorry I havent been able to reach you in regards to the ingredients, but not to worry, I will supply them, I will just need a microwave for the demonstration. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at xxx. See you tonight at 7".

Phew. I dont even want to go at this point, but I guess at least I left a message in regarding it, and its in her court now. And if I do go, Morfia you're coming!

I know she works at a school so I knew I'd have the chance to speak to her machine. ;)

Way to go Vanessa! Wish I lived closer, I'd go with you too!! I'm sure you at least felt a little better after leaving the message, right??!!

no im a wreck! i dont like confrontation! lol

You'll be fine! It's your business, you have to be in control. Hopefully she'll call you and let you know! If not, just make sure you get your host packet back before you leave.

Vanessa, I also HATE confrontation. But I have found that when I was in the same situation, that's the best message to leave. Betcha you get a call back! The only time that didn't work for me, the host had an out-of-town family emergency, and of course the PC Lady was the last person she'd think of to call.http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/oregonian_congratulations.gif Go have a glass of wine or a little treat to reward yourself for making the call. {{{hugs}}} http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/slider_winesmiley.gif

Thanks all!! love you all!

She just called and said she is not having the party because we never confirmed it and that she was SHOCKED when she heard my message. I said I had contacted her four times, and even once spoke to her husband. I flat out asked was there a reason she had not returned my calls and she said she forgot. I asked if she wanted to reschedule and she said not at this time. I thanked her for her honesty. She thanked me for being understanding (IF SHE ONLY KNEW).

Anyway, thanks for the input from everyone. xoxo

Did she ever get a host packet or invitations? Sounds like she didn't want to have the party to begin with and couldn't figure out how to tell you except to let the day come and go and never think about it.

i agree! yes she rec'd a pkt

How is that not confirming anything?? Crazy people, bless and release.

For the lady that has the SIL that will be going out of town during the weekend that she booked and needs the sales to stay active, how about hosting a show (for her relatives too!) and giving away the Hostess Benefits. She might hear thru the grapevine that the benefits are worth hosting a show and might be a possible booking in the future. Have it at your house and don't sweat it! Make something easy and have lots of fun with your guests. Maybe even try the new recipes for spring/summer and let everyone enjoy!

Related to Dealing with Dead Beat Hosts: A Frustration-Filled Vent Session

1. Why do some hosts fail to follow through with hosting a party?

There could be a variety of reasons why a host may fail to follow through with hosting a party. Some possible reasons could include being too busy with other commitments, forgetting about the party, or simply changing their mind about hosting. It's important to communicate clearly with potential hosts and make sure they are committed before investing too much time and effort into planning the party.

2. How can I prevent hosts from flaking on me?

To help prevent hosts from flaking on you, it's important to establish clear expectations and follow-up with them regularly. Make sure they understand their responsibilities as a host and have a clear understanding of the party date and time. Additionally, offering incentives or rewards for hosting a party can also help motivate hosts to follow through.

3. What should I do if a host cancels last minute?

Cancellations do happen, unfortunately. If a host cancels last minute, it's important to communicate with them and express your disappointment. You can also try to reschedule the party for a different date or offer to help them find a replacement host. If necessary, it's also important to have a backup plan in case a host cancels.

4. How do I handle hosting frustrations with family members?

Dealing with hosting frustrations from family members can be tough, as you don't want to damage your relationship with them. It's important to communicate openly and honestly with them, expressing your disappointment but also understanding their reasons for canceling or not following through. Try to find a solution that works for both of you and avoid placing blame or becoming confrontational.

5. How can I manage my emotions when dealing with deadbeat hosts?

Dealing with deadbeat hosts can be frustrating and disappointing, but it's important to try to manage your emotions and not let them affect your business. Take some time to vent and express your frustrations, but try to find ways to move forward and find new hosts. Remember that not everyone will be a reliable host and focus on those who are committed to hosting a party for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ahammons
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • pamperedberry
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • wmrmgr