• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help With Fluted Stone Cake Recipe

In summary, some recipes call for pudding in the cake while others don't. The pudding can make the cake more dry and the frosting is for the whole lava idea (I assume). Additionally, the kitchen brush is a good time to cross sell when using the fluted stone.
sburnside
Gold Member
I am doing the 10-12 minute cake recipe tonight for a show using the fluted stone, chocolate frosting, and a chocolate cake mix. However, I'm looking over some of the other recipes on here and a few call for pudding in the cake also. What is the difference in taste, consistency, etc.? Does the pudding have an added purpose that I'm missing? I made the cake without the frosting a couple weeks ago and it was delicious so I just wanted to know the difference from those who have tried both.
TIA

I don't even check to see if it is with pudding or not anymore because it's reat either way. Are you using pie filling or sour cream? I like to make the German Chocolate with the frosting on top that really impresses people. Have a great show!

By the way it's also a good time to cross sell the kitchen brush when you use the fluted stone, I always comment on how you will love the ease of cleaning the stone or the cookware [around the riveted handle].

I think some recipes call for a separate package of pudding mix. I'm like you... I don't look for "pudding in the mix." Maybe since the cakes now have pudding included, that's no longer needed as an extra in the cake recipe. That could be the difference - just my guess.

I think because it's in the microwave, it can dry out easier. And usually with the pudding it does not dry out. I usually don't bother but if I see one I'll get it. Unless the recipes really insists upon it by boliding or highlighting, however... I just think that would be the only reason why. If you've been doing it without pudding, then you are fine and I wouldn't let it bug you. The frosting I think is for the whole lava idea (I assume) and the pudding is for a moist cake.:balloon:

thebowman said:
By the way it's also a good time to cross sell the kitchen brush when you use the fluted stone, I always comment on how you will love the ease of cleaning the stone or the cookware [around the riveted handle].

I totally agree with you and everytime I get someone who wants to buy this or even the muffin pan I tell them to get the kitchen brush as that is how I am able to clean these stones.

I haven't tried it on the cookware (don't own much of ours yet) but will make a point of mentioning that--thanks.

I always tell people that to keep one kitchen brush for stones only and another for everything else that you would use soap with--mark one as no soap or stones only!

I don't think you can do the sour cream (123 cake) with the frosting on top. The batter is VERY thick and it won't sink. If you are doing it that way you you will need to put the frosting in the bottom of the pan before the cake mix.

you don't put the frosting in first. pour the cake mix in and then dollop 2/3 of the can around. it will sink during the cooking process.

I have done the frosting that way when you follow directions on the box, but if you do the 123 cake (with sour cream) it is a much much thicker batter.
I prefer to use the 123 cake and them do the ganach (sp?) topping with equal parts chocolate chips and coolwhip. Then pour it over the hot cake. That way the top of the cake doesn't have the dents in it from the frosting.

1. How do I properly season my fluted stone before using it for the first time?

Before using your fluted stone for the first time, you will need to season it by lightly brushing it with vegetable oil and baking it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Let it cool completely before using it.

2. Can I use my fluted stone in the microwave?

No, fluted stones are not safe to use in the microwave. They are designed to be used in conventional ovens only.

3. Do I need to grease my fluted stone before using it?

It is not necessary to grease your fluted stone before using it, as the stoneware is naturally non-stick. However, if you are concerned about sticking, you can lightly spray with cooking spray or brush with oil before using.

4. How do I clean my fluted stone?

To clean your fluted stone, allow it to cool completely before washing it with warm water and a mild detergent. Do not use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the stoneware. Do not soak the stone in water, as it can cause it to crack. If food is stuck on the stone, you can use a nylon brush or scraper to remove it.

5. Can I use my fluted stone on the stovetop?

No, fluted stones are not safe to use on the stovetop. They are designed to be used in conventional ovens only.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
chef131doreen
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Chef Mary Rose