• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help, Please - Chocolate Skillet Cake?

In summary, Karen says that there are a few different skillet cakes that you can make, including the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake. This cake can be made in a 12" skillet, and Karen recommends the Gen II skillet for this recipe. There are other recipes available for this cake, such as the Cherry Chocolate Skillet Cake and the German Chocolate Skillet Cake.
jaye
Anyone hear of a "chocolate cake that gets done in the big frying pan?" to quote my host?:confused:

I have no idea what she is talking about,:rolleyes: but before I reply to her email, I thought I would ask all of you wonderful people out here! :)

THANKS!
Jaye

There are a few different varieties. The Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake is my favorite and do at a lot of shows as a 2nd recipe. There's a Cherry Chocolate Skillet Cake and a few others. Here's the Turtle one:

Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake

Recipe:
1 package (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
4 squares (1 ounce each) semi-sweet chocolate for baking
1 jar (12.25 ounces) caramel ice cream topping, divided
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Vanilla ice cream or thawed, frozen whipped topping (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350?F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions in a bowl; beat until smooth. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat, tilting skillet to coat bottom. Gently pour batter over bottom of skillet, spreading evenly.
2. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Carefully remove to cooling rack. Loosen edges of cake and carefully invert cake onto heat-proof serving plate.
3. Chop chocolate. Combine half of the caramel topping with chocolate in a bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 30-60 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth. Carefully spread caramel fudge glaze over cake.
4. Chop pecans; sprinkle evenly over glaze. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce, if desired. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
Yield: 12 servings or 24 sample servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 440, Total Fat 24 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Carbohydrate 55 g, Protein 6 g, Sodium 490 mg, Fiber 2 g

Turtle Fudge Skillet CakeThis one you make in the Family 12in skillet. I found the recipe in All The Best Cook Book.

Karen Gibb
Consultant for
the Pampered Chef

Which skillet do you use? The 12"? Can it be done in the Gen II? I don't have a 12" in any of the others. I love the chocolate micro cake... maybe she will go for that? Thanks for the info.

ahhh... you must have posted while I was typing! ha ha ha!

Hi Jaye, It is the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake. (season's best S/S 2002)

1 pkg (18.25 oz.) devil's food cake mix...with ingredients to make cake
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
4 squares (1oz. each) of semi-sweet choclate for baking
1 jar (12.25 oz) caramel ice cream topping...divided
1/2 cupchopped pecans
van ice cream or Kool whip opt.

*Prep cake mix as to pkg directions
*melt butter in large family skillet
*pour batter on top
*bake uncovered 30-35 mins
*chop chocolate and combine with half of the caramel topping ...in small batter bowl, microwave uncovered 30-60 seconds
*spread over cake

top with chopped pecans drizzle remaining caramel on top

There is the German Chocolate Skillet Cake, the Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake, Molten Chocolate Skillet Brownie, and pretty much any boxed cake (or one that you make for any 9x13 pan or two 9" cake pans would work) works in the skillet. What you need to do is put a couple tablespoons of butter in the pan and place it in the oven as the oven is preheating - to get the butter to melt. Place the cake batter in the oven and cook it and then flip it out onto the SA large square. HTH

Y'all rock! Thanks so much everyone for your help! I have heard of the other skillet cakes, but I am usually not a big fan.... but her email just said, I love chocolate, how about the chocolate cake in the big frying pan! I wasn't really sure what was out there.So, I really do appreciate you all taking the time!Jaye

The chocolate cherry skillet cake is one of my favorites...there's also a recipe for pineapple upside down cake in the skillet.
These are a great way to help sell some cookware:)

I would want to do it, if I had any of the new cookware. As far as the 12" goes, I only have the Gen II, and for the rest of my cookware I have the Professional, but it's really really beat up! (Scratched and all, so I really don't want to show it off.) I have made the pineapple upside down one... but I haven't made the others yet. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

By any chance, can this recipe be done in Stoneware? I do not own the large skillet and really want to try this... :(

Sue,

It would probably work in the DDB (glazed, not the old Classics one) or Rectangular Baker. But you can't do anything in stoneware that requires actual stovetop cooking (like the Chocolate Pineapple Upside-Down Cake from the Una Muestra books).

These skillet cake recipes will be great for January shows to demonstrate the many uses of the cookware! Thank for sharing!

Thanks Ann! I'm going to give it a try tonight!

Related to Help, Please - Chocolate Skillet Cake?

What ingredients do I need to make a chocolate skillet cake?

To make a chocolate skillet cake, you will need all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and your choice of toppings such as chocolate chips or nuts.

Can I use a regular skillet to make this cake?

Yes, you can use a regular skillet to make this cake. Just make sure it is oven-safe and has a diameter of 10 inches or larger.

How long does it take to bake a chocolate skillet cake?

The baking time for a chocolate skillet cake is typically around 25-30 minutes. However, the exact time may vary depending on your oven and the size of your skillet. It's best to use a toothpick to test the center of the cake for doneness.

Can I make this cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time. Once the cake has cooled completely, you can cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, you can reheat it in the skillet or in the microwave.

What toppings can I use on this chocolate skillet cake?

You can top this chocolate skillet cake with a variety of toppings such as whipped cream, ice cream, fresh fruit, chocolate drizzle, or caramel sauce. Get creative and use your favorite toppings to make the cake even more delicious!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • KateInTheKitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefloretta
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Recipes and Tips
2 3