• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help!! Chocolate Velvet Cake...

I made it in the oven and the microwave and never had any problems with it exploding! I've posted on another thread about having the same problem (3 times now) I've tried the 80% power (and even less) and still get the same result. Icky goo running all over the micro. I e-mailed the test kitchens and they sent me back a list of questions to answer about wattage, brand of mix, etc. and I answered them but they have never written back with a solution. That was about a month ago.This is the reason I REFUSE to do micro cakes for shows. I know my micro and how it cooks, cuz I
kat29
Okay I know I should go looking through the threads first, but it's an emergency. I'm going to make this for a show and well I decided I would make it for my family first. Well followed the directions got it in the fluted pan and in the microwave and set the timer for 10 minutes to be on the safe side and go from there. Well it exploded in my microwave. :cry: It was everywhere. Any suggestions???? It wasn't even in there 4 minutes. I don't know what I did wrong. Never had this happen before. Should I just bake it in the oven? Has anyone else had the same problem? I don't know if I should try it again or what I'm kind of scared now. :( I really want to make this for my show and the host just loved the idea, I would hate to change it at the last minute.

use the family skillet---it is awesome---same way--

You followed the directions for that cake (from the SB?). I've made it several times and it's perfect each time. Of course, it's been in my microwave so maybe that's the issue??

the family skillet??? I've never made a cake in that. Hmmmm....guess I'll have to try it and just follow the instructions for baking it in the recipe book...Okay well I'll have to run to the store and get another cake mix.

Jules711 said:
You followed the directions for that cake (from the SB?). I've made it several times and it's perfect each time. Of course, it's been in my microwave so maybe that's the issue??

I'm wondering if my microwave cooks hotter than my other one. should of mentioned that too. I have a brand new microwave. it's a 2.2 cubic one....

I make mine in the Family Skillet (350 for about 25-30 minutes). I'd try the microwave again, if that's what your host would like. Try reducing it to 80% power.

Good luck - it really is a good cake!

My micro runs hot with micro cakes...I do them on 80% power or else it bubbles up and all over everywhere.

HTH

I've made it in the oven and the microwave and never had any problems with it exploding!

I've posted on another thread about having the same problem (3 times now) I've tried the 80% power (and even less) and still get the same result. Icky goo running all over the micro. I e-mailed the test kitchens and they sent me back a list of questions to answer about wattage, brand of mix, etc. and I answered them but they have never written back with a solution. That was about a month ago.

This is the reason I REFUSE to do micro cakes for shows. I know my micro and how it cooks, cuz I test the recipe a few times to figure it out. I do NOT want to have to babysit it so much at a show...kindof takes away from the fact that it's supposed to be so easy!

When I made the velvet cake, I did it in our fluted pan in the oven. No problems there.

i made it in the microwave twice now and it has exploded both times. i know the directions are based on a 1000 watt microwave and the test kitchen said to shorten the time for mine (1200 watt) but it still exploded at 80% power at 7 minutes. so i would love the ans also because i love this show idea too. Does everyone use the whole batter. maybe i should eliminate some of the batter? mine also came out too dry. any suggestions?

Try gently dropping the pan a few times on the counter. This will force the air bubbles up and out of the batter. I had it plop and ooze on me twice before I remembered this baking gem!

Why would you need to bake it in the Family Skillet? You can still bake it in the Fluted Pan. I know that the Skillet is a higher priced item, but the recipe turns out better in the Fluted Pan because you can fill up the middle with sliced strawberries (I quarter mine). I think you can still "sell" the Family Skillet and bake it in the Fluted Pan, just let them know it is an option. A great way to introduce our cookware to everyone.

Chef Kearns said:
Try gently dropping the pan a few times on the counter. This will force the air bubbles up and out of the batter. I had it plop and ooze on me twice before I remembered this baking gem!

Why would you need to bake it in the Family Skillet?
You can still bake it in the Fluted Pan. I know that the Skillet is a higher priced item, but the recipe turns out better in the Fluted Pan because you can fill up the middle with sliced strawberries (I quarter mine). I think you can still "sell" the Family Skillet and bake it in the Fluted Pan, just let them know it is an option. A great way to introduce our cookware to everyone.

Well, I do it because it is a better end product. And I've never had any problems with the batter exploding or not cooking properly - and I don't have to worry about if it is going to turn out at the show - it always does. Plus - when people see that cake flipped out of the pan, I get at least one, if not more, bookings to get the pan. I don't get bookings for the fluted stone.

It looks absolutely beautiful with the chocolate covered strawberries in a ring around the top of the skillet cake, and I have a bowl of chopped strawberries sitting next to the cake, along with extra glaze - so people can make it as decadant as they would like!

I agree with doing it in the skillet. Microwaves are to iffy for me, and baking in the oven in the flued pan takes too much time for a show.

chefkacey said:
i made it in the microwave twice now and it has exploded both times. i know the directions are based on a 1000 watt microwave and the test kitchen said to shorten the time for mine (1200 watt) but it still exploded at 80% power at 7 minutes. so i would love the ans also because i love this show idea too. Does everyone use the whole batter. maybe i should eliminate some of the batter? mine also came out too dry. any suggestions?
I had a host who's microwave was 1400 watts. I put it in for 100% power and even set the time to less time. It took the full amount of time required to fully bake. Still didn't have a problem with it exploding.

I am not sure if this helps, but I have been playing around with the 12 minute miracle microwave cakes in my Rice Cooker Plus. Whenever I have made them with Super Moist cake mixes, pie filling, and eggs, I have ended up with really hard spots in the cake, but they never exploded. So last night I tried one of the recipes with pudding mix instead of pie filling, and it exploded. So I guess what I am getting at is that there are a LOT of variables that play a part in the microwave cakes, and that makes me pretty concerned about doing them at shows. Once I figure out the best formula in my own microwave, I plan to make cake samples for when I do booths and stuff, but I will probably hesitate to do a micro cake at a show. I might do a cake in the oven, and mention that, with some experimentation, it can be done in the microwave, instead of trying to demo it that way and risk exploding cakes and hard spots. Just my two cents, sorry so long, HTH.

Related to Help!! Chocolate Velvet Cake...

What are the ingredients needed to make Chocolate Velvet Cake?

To make Chocolate Velvet Cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 package of chocolate cake mix
- 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Can I use a different type of cake mix besides chocolate?

Yes, you can substitute the chocolate cake mix with any other flavor of cake mix. However, keep in mind that this will change the overall taste of the cake. We recommend using a chocolate cake mix for the best results.

Do I have to use a bundt pan to make this cake?

No, you can use any type of cake pan you have available. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly. A bundt pan is recommended for the traditional shape and look of a Chocolate Velvet Cake.

Can I use regular chocolate chips instead of semisweet?

Yes, you can use regular chocolate chips instead of semisweet. However, the cake may turn out sweeter than intended. If you prefer a less sweet cake, we recommend sticking to semisweet chocolate chips.

Is there a dairy-free version of this recipe?

Yes, you can make a dairy-free version of Chocolate Velvet Cake by using dairy-free substitutes for the sour cream and chocolate chips. You can also use a dairy-free cake mix. Just make sure to check the ingredient list carefully to ensure it is completely dairy-free.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • Recipes and Tips
2 3
Replies
Views
c00p
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views