• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help a Teenager Out: Reasonable Pay for Yard Work?

In summary, a reasonable amount to offer a teenager to pull weeds and do other simple yard work would be around $10-$15 an hour, with an additional $10 for running the mower.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
What would be a reasonable amount to offer a teenager to pull weeds and do other simple yard work? Due to health issues (and a dh that can't see the need to do more than mow the lawn out there - lol) I am getting overgrown here and I need help! It is getting so bad that I am embarrassed to have my meetings here. I can't afford a lawn service at this time and thought if I could help a kid out with a few bucks and get a neater yard at the same time it would be win-win (if I can afford it :rolleyes: ).

...so what do you think would be fair?

No clue!! I can't wait to see the responses!!!

Well -- I would say it depends on how BIG the yard is and what you're supplying the kid the tools to do it. If it's just pulling the weeds, raking the leaves, trimming the hedges, running a weed eater and clean up then I would probably pay around $10-15... Add another $10 if they're going to run the mower.

For me it would depend on how hard and how long he would need to work in your yard. My initial thought would be the equivalent of up to $10 per hour if that includes mowing the lawn. Since you don't really want to pay per hour (too much ability to "take his time" and earn more), guestimate how many hours it will take for whatever you have on the current "to-do" list and then pay per task. If this is a one time deal, you might want to give a bit more. But if this is going to be an ongoing "job", you might be able to pay a bit less "per job" since it will be a steady source of income for him for a bit.

yummybytes said:
Well -- I would say it depends on how BIG the yard is and what you're supplying the kid the tools to do it. If it's just pulling the weeds, raking the leaves, trimming the hedges, running a weed eater and clean up then I would probably pay around $10-15... Add another $10 if they're going to run the mower.

I would say about the same thing depending on the size of your property, but what about your kids, don't you have 4??? Put them to work!!!

So the worse is the front yard and I could probably do it in abut 4 hours. You think about $40 would be fair? Then if I like the work I can pay him to come back and do the back for another $40 and then maybe work out something for him to come back every month or so to keep it up?

I just need someone to get rid of the weeds and help spread some mulch after that. I can trim the bushes and dh mows.

I want to be fair but like everyone else the money only goes so far...

Once I get my business where I want it I'll just hire a service but it needs to be done NOW!

Dawn4 said:
I would say about the same thing depending on the size of your property, but what about your kids, don't you have 4??? Put them to work!!!
Actually I have 5 but 4 of them live in WI (they won't come 1000 miles for this:rolleyes: ) and the 5th is off to college 3 hours away. No, they are useless.

yummybytes said:
Are you saying per hour or per job?

As a child, I got paid per weed, and ONLY if it was by the roots (just breaking them off doesn't do any good). I think I got a nickel a weed, which doesn't seem like much, but it adds up quick if your doing a good job. Because it was by the weed w/roots attached, I was motivated to work quickly and earn my money.

HTH...SIID!

My son does this and gets $12 an hour.
My daughter babysat yesterday for 8 hours, 2 kids they paid her $60 I made her take $20 back. When did babysitters get that much. They are kindergarten and 3rd grade so she just had to be there not help them do anything

BethCooks4U said:
So the worse is the front yard and I could probably do it in abut 4 hours. You think about $40 would be fair? Then if I like the work I can pay him to come back and do the back for another $40 and then maybe work out something for him to come back every month or so to keep it up?

I just need someone to get rid of the weeds and help spread some mulch after that. I can trim the bushes and dh mows.

I want to be fair but like everyone else the money only goes so far...

Once I get my business where I want it I'll just hire a service but it needs to be done NOW!

I think that $40 for 4 hours of work that doesn't require extreme physical exertion is more than fair... unless the tempature outside is really high. Maybe just give him $30 or so for each job (don't pay per hour) and put another $5 aside. That way when you don't need him any more and if he has done a good job, you can "tip" him with the extra as a thank you for helping out.

Or tell them $30 for the job and if you are extremely pleased, give them extra as a tip.

One thing that may help you for next year...do you have mulch down in your flowerbeds? We have a landscaper that lives on our street and he will NOT allow one of his customers to go without him applying mulch each year. He says it cuts down on 99% of the weeds. If you can see dirt, or if the mulch has started to decompose, weeds will grow no matter what! I know I skipped the mulch this year (didn't want to spend the $$) and boy am I kicking myself now with all of my weeds and pricklers!

Hmmm,, I never thought about keeping up the mulch to help keep out the weeds but now that I read it - it makes so much sense.

Oh my, I am tired because that so called sentence didn't make sense - did it! Am heading to bed.

KellyTheChef said:
Or tell them $30 for the job and if you are extremely pleased, give them extra as a tip.

One thing that may help you for next year...do you have mulch down in your flowerbeds? We have a landscaper that lives on our street and he will NOT allow one of his customers to go without him applying mulch each year. He says it cuts down on 99% of the weeds. If you can see dirt, or if the mulch has started to decompose, weeds will grow no matter what! I know I skipped the mulch this year (didn't want to spend the $$) and boy am I kicking myself now with all of my weeds and pricklers!
Yes. That is exactly what happened. I didn't get to put the mulch down and now I have a ton of weeds that are over-growing me. I have certainly learned my lesson.

Now to find that kid... Our neighborhood consists of kids my son's age (just gone off to college - and a lot of them) or 10 year olds. ...hmmm maybe a 10 year old would be perfect - they're still useful at that age! I know just the kid.

Teresa Lynn said:
My daughter babysat yesterday for 8 hours, 2 kids they paid her $60 I made her take $20 back. When did babysitters get that much. They are kindergarten and 3rd grade so she just had to be there not help them do anything

The going rate for a babysitter for 2 kids (5 & 7 years old) is $8-10 an hour where I live.

Needless to say, we don't go out much!

dianevill said:
The going rate for a babysitter for 2 kids (5 & 7 years old) is $8-10 an hour where I live.

Needless to say, we don't go out much!
I got 50cents an hour and if it was after midnight they might have given me a small bonus (like an extra quarter for those hours). lol

I'm sorry but I think that's just crazy! $8-10??:eek: So glad my kids are grown and sure wish I was local to my grandchildren so I could help my kids out (for another thing). Even at $1.50 - $2 per hour (the going rate when my kids were small) we would exchange sitting with other friends!

BethCooks4U said:
Are you saying per hour or per job?

I would say per job. My yard is VERY small though so it wouldn't take long or be a very ardorous task. I would increase the pay based on how much actual area they have to deal with.

I have a lawn service that comes every 2 weeks. I pay them $20 for the front and the back - mowing, edging, & debris blowing. If I want them to pull weeds, I throw an extra $10 on there and they pull 'em all for me & clean it up.

BethCooks4U said:
I got 50cents an hour and if it was after midnight they might have given me a small bonus (like an extra quarter for those hours). lol

I'm sorry but I think that's just crazy! $8-10??:eek: So glad my kids are grown and sure wish I was local to my grandchildren so I could help my kids out (for another thing). Even at $1.50 - $2 per hour (the going rate when my kids were small) we would exchange sitting with other friends!

I think it's absolutely ridiculous, too. When I was at conference I had to pay for a day, and it cost me $90!:yuck: . Then the kids told me all they did was watch tv.

I remember $1-2 an hour, depending on the number of kids and how late. I was the neighborhood sitter, and started when I was 10. I thought I was rich!

Back to the yard work - I had my nephew come and mulch our backyard - about 8 yards of mulch; I paid him $12 an hour.

Good luck - my husband always says we should put in astroturf!

A few consultants in our cluster have been bartering PC products for other things/services. One consultant is paying her divorce lawyer in PC products and another just traded for a new puppy. They basically give a credit for an appropriate amount of product and while you still have to pay, it will count towards your incentive/sales points and you get back the comission. Maybe you should stop looking for a teen boy and find a PC addict instead?

I would say per hour if you know the kid your asking. I agree that some kids will take advatage of the per hour pay and take their time. If you know they are an honest kid and will just get the job done. Otherwise just set a rate.

Teresa Lynn said:

hehe I was thinking the opposite!! For our area she got waaay underpaid!! Here she would of made $80 minimum. I personally (as a career nanny/babysitter) would of made $120 for that work.

BethCooks4U said:

You have grandchildren?! :eek: Can't see the pix very clearly but I was under the impression your kids were still young!

PCwithStay-C said:
I would say per hour if you know the kid your asking. I agree that some kids will take advatage of the per hour pay and take their time. If you know they are an honest kid and will just get the job done. Otherwise just set a rate.

hehe I was thinking the opposite!! For our area she got waaay underpaid!! Here she would of made $80 minimum. I personally (as a career nanny/babysitter) would of made $120 for that work.

Wow! At that rate I'd HAVE to stay home - wouldn't be able to afford childcare. I spend $36/day for 2 kids for 10 hours. I guess I'm lucky and I also have a GREAT sitter.

Addie4TLC said:
You have grandchildren?! :eek: Can't see the pix very clearly but I was under the impression your kids were still young!

Nope those are her grandkids...I think she looks like a young grandma! :) She looks great for having 5 grown kids! I can only hope to look that young and be that active when I have grandkids! :)

PCwithStay-C said:

Thats what I was going to say too, and I know my 5 YO is can't make lunch for himself (the 8 yo can but would ather have it done for him) Maybe its our location??:rolleyes:

janetupnorth said:
Nope those are her grandkids...I think she looks like a young grandma! :) She looks great for having 5 grown kids! I can only hope to look that young and be that active when I have grandkids! :)
wowzers! I agree! I started late myself so I have a feeling I'm going to look like a grandma when I'm a grandma...

janetupnorth said:
Wow! At that rate I'd HAVE to stay home - wouldn't be able to afford childcare. I spend $36/day for 2 kids for 10 hours. I guess I'm lucky and I also have a GREAT sitter.

I dont know where you live but unfortunately the NY metro area (NY, NJ & CT) are sooo much higher than most of hte rest of the country!! Its kinda ridiculous. I could work for less if I wanted to ( I actually dont make all that much with my family I work for now! about half per week than what I used to) but we would have to go without food, electricity and cars!! Thats just what my pay covers (most of the time!!) DH's covers most of hte rest. Unfortunately its just the area! I gotta eat too :)

Thanks guys! I have 6 grandchildren now. Those pictured are my oldest son's girls and my second son has a 2 year old and a newborn. I have been told I look younger than my years (56).

We are only as old as we feel - I'm 35.

Pampered Laura said:
I have a lawn service that comes every 2 weeks. I pay them $20 for the front and the back - mowing, edging, & debris blowing. If I want them to pull weeds, I throw an extra $10 on there and they pull 'em all for me & clean it up.
Around here it would cost me $750 just to have them come in and pull weeds and mulch my yard (I have a fairly small city yard - the entire lot is less than 1/3 acre). I couldn't get a kid to do it for those prices.

10 years ago we had a house in WI and we lived in Indiana. While we were selling the house we had a neighbor kid doing the mowing and "pull obvious weeds" for $50 a week and he didn't do the job well at all because it wasn't enough money. My BIL took it over for $100 a week so I knew it would be done well.

susan g said:
A few consultants in our cluster have been bartering PC products for other things/services. One consultant is paying her divorce lawyer in PC products and another just traded for a new puppy. They basically give a credit for an appropriate amount of product and while you still have to pay, it will count towards your incentive/sales points and you get back the comission. Maybe you should stop looking for a teen boy and find a PC addict instead?
Hey! That's a great idea!

Then after she's got the work done I can recruit her - or she could work off her kit!

Teresa Lynn said:

Wow! It must be the area. Right now, I would expect to pay AT LEAST $10 per hour for my three kids! If I was going to be gone for a long time or later in the night, I would expect to pay even more! But even 15+ years ago when I was babysitting, I would usually make $5 per hour for 1 kid and then (depending on the family) sometimes another $1-$3 per hour, per kid... especially when I had the kids for extended periods of time (5+ hours) or late into the evening. With the going rates around here, if my own kids didn't drive me crazy enough as it is, I would have to consider just babysitting to bring in extra $$!

Related to Help a Teenager Out: Reasonable Pay for Yard Work?

1. What type of tasks would be included in "yard work"?

The tasks included in yard work can vary, but generally it involves tasks such as mowing the lawn, pulling weeds, raking leaves, trimming bushes or hedges, and cleaning up debris.

2. What is the average pay for yard work done by a teenager?

The average pay for yard work done by a teenager can range from $10 to $20 per hour, depending on the location and the complexity of the tasks.

3. Is it reasonable to expect a teenager to have their own equipment for yard work?

It is not always necessary for a teenager to have their own equipment for yard work. Many teenagers may have access to basic tools such as a lawn mower or rake, but it is not uncommon for the homeowner to provide the necessary equipment.

4. How many hours of work should be expected for a reasonable amount of pay?

This can vary depending on the size and condition of the yard, as well as the specific tasks required. It is important to discuss the estimated time and pay with the teenager before they begin the work.

5. What are some other factors to consider when determining a fair pay for yard work?

Other factors to consider include the difficulty of the tasks, the teenager's experience and skill level, and the going rate for similar jobs in the area. It is also important to communicate clearly with the teenager about expectations and any additional compensation, such as providing snacks or drinks during the work.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
christinaspc
  • MeredithG
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
MeredithG
Replies