• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Keep Your Backyard Safe: Military Housing Swing Set & Trampoline Rules and Tips

and usually they will move on. Our pool is also on the one side of our yard that isn't fenced.There should be a leader assigned to your building or area who you could talk to. (These are the guys that arrange those strict, mandatory "area beautification" days).
erinyourpclady
Gold Member
We live in military family housing and have a swing set and trampoline in our back yard. Part of our yard is fenced for our dog but the swing set and trampoline are not inside the fence (to avoid cleaning poo off the trampoline and to avoid my dumb a** dog from breaking a leg).
Here is the problem.....over the last few weeks, there have been many times I look into my back yard and see assorted kids. Kids whom I don't recognize and have NEVER met before, much less their parents. I don't mind sharing but I do mind seeing kids in my backyard when my kids are either at school or inside! I am thinking that I need to post rules and insist that I met parents before a child jumps. I would hate for a child to get hurt and for my insurance to go up. Thoughts???

Can you fence in the trampoline area also?

That sounds reasonable to me. They should know better than to go into someone else's yard & play on their things anyway. IMHO

DEFINITELY set the rules. If/when someone gets hurt, those people who are sue happy will see this as a prime opportunity!

Personally, I'd deal with the poo and fence it in.

Good Luck!

I'd post rules and if they don't comply call the cops or military equivalent. When the parents complain, say you'd be more than happy to share if:
1. The kids are accompanied by an adult and they ask you first.
2. They sign a waiver. ;)(Seriously, I'd do #1).Explain that this isn't community property it is a personal yard.Overall, that is just RUDE! I teach my kids to ask permission ALWAYS!!!!

janetupnorth said:
I'd post rules and if they don't comply call the cops or military equivalent.

When the parents complain, say you'd be more than happy to share if:
1. The kids are accompanied by an adult and they ask you first.
2. They sign a waiver. ;)

(Seriously, I'd do #1).

Explain that this isn't community property it is a personal yard.

Overall, that is just RUDE! I teach my kids to ask permission ALWAYS!!!!

See...me too! My children KNOW better! My kids ask permission for almost everything! So now to come up with rules.....

Fencing would work but I have a feeling there would still be a problem. There is a net on the trampoline.....we have thought about putting a lock on it......

If fencing is not an option (because of expense and time), I'd definitely start locking the trampoline, as well as taking the swings down when not in use. Swings can be just as dangerous as trampolines.Is there a community newsletter in which you can publish an open letter to the other parents with your concerns?

Heck yes ... I'd talk to the parents if I could find them. Also, there should be a "leader" assigned to your building or area who you could talk to. (These are the guys that arrange those strict, mandatory "area beautification" days). They can actually write tickets, too.

And if all else fails, call the MPs. They're bored anyway. :)

I agree with everyone else. I would go out and tell the kids they cant jump on the trampoline until you meet the parents and they sign a waiver. My friend when I was growing up had a trampoline and we had to have a note from our parents before we could step foot.

kathijenkins said:
That sounds reasonable to me. They should know better than to go into someone else's yard & play on their things anyway. IMHO

Growing up we had an above ground pool in our back yard. One day a neighborhood boy (that we didn't play with) came walking into the yard with his robe on and a towel over his arm (okay...we didn't play with him cause he was a bit of a nerd :) ). We watched him as he lowered the ladder to get in. My mom went out and asked what he was doing. He said, "Oh, my mom said I could come swimming!" Thirty some years later, we still laugh over it.

So many parents today just let their kids run all over the neighborhood and do what they want....until their kid gets hurt THEN they'll come looking for you!

Since you are in military housing, is there someone that you can ask about how to handle this? Like the military equivalent of a neighborhood association?

We have a pool and it's been a problem with neighbor kids coming into our yard and they are between 6 - 10 year olds... there are about 6 of them total. Our gate has a padlock on it and they hop the fence. I go out and tell them that they can't be in the yard and need to leave. They don't ask for permission either which I find rude and obnoxious, but that's another story. Then I come in and call their parents and EVERY TIME their parents all say, "Oh... we didn't know that our kids were over there..." I don't know what to do. The parents don't tell them NOT to come over and they don't care where their kids are so what options do I have? They are coming into the yard trespassing... and I think they are way too young to be in ANY pool unaccompanied by an adult. We're opening our pool next week and I'm already dreading it. They've already been in the yard this year looking to see if it's open yet.Suggestions?

erinyourpclady said:
See...me too! My children KNOW better! My kids ask permission for almost everything! So now to come up with rules.....

Fencing would work but I have a feeling there would still be a problem. There is a net on the trampoline.....we have thought about putting a lock on it......

What the heck is wrong with people?!?!?! I can't believe that your fellow base dwellers are doing that to you. Sorry- I lived many years on a base, and normally we have better manners than most, and certainly better manners than just going into someone's yard that we don't know and getting on their trampoline.

I agree with Janet's posts!~

My neighbor had a trampoline in their unfenced yard, with the netting and locked.

Their insurance company told them they would be dropped if they didn't fence it in.

I also know that posting rules is not enough to avoid being sued. Small children will not be able to read it. Definitely lock the trampoline and have your kids try really hard to get in while it's locked. I would also post rules if nothing else to prove that you at least tried to keep everyone safe if you are sued.

Personally I would do a fence but I know how expensive that can be...

finley1991 said:
We have a pool and it's been a problem with neighbor kids coming into our yard and they are between 6 - 10 year olds... there are about 6 of them total. Our gate has a padlock on it and they hop the fence. I go out and tell them that they can't be in the yard and need to leave. They don't ask for permission either which I find rude and obnoxious, but that's another story. Then I come in and call their parents and EVERY TIME their parents all say, "Oh... we didn't know that our kids were over there..."

I don't know what to do. The parents don't tell them NOT to come over and they don't care where their kids are so what options do I have? They are coming into the yard trespassing... and I think they are way too young to be in ANY pool unaccompanied by an adult.

We're opening our pool next week and I'm already dreading it. They've already been in the yard this year looking to see if it's open yet.

Suggestions?

Hire a friend dressed up as a security guard! :) Have him stand guard at the pool...

I just don't get people- and these are the ones that would SUE you the minute their kid gets too much water in their eyes, or whatever. What a bunch of low class leeches! (not you, the people that allow their kids to just go where ever without caring- as long as they don't have to take them to a community pool, or a local beach, why should they care- that's who I'm talking about!)

In the area I live in, you must have a minimum of a 5 foot fence surrounding your pool, and it cannot be chain link because people can climb those.

Kitchen Diva said:
In the area I live in, you must have a minimum of a 5 foot fence surrounding your pool, and it cannot be chain link because people can climb those.

Ours is 5ft as well and they still jump it. They are just rude and a total reflection of their parents. It's pathetic.

I've got a rubberband rifle you can use to shoot them the next time they come into the yard. Maybe getting thwacked a few times will get the idea across. :)

finley1991 said:
We have a pool and it's been a problem with neighbor kids coming into our yard and they are between 6 - 10 year olds... there are about 6 of them total. Our gate has a padlock on it and they hop the fence. I go out and tell them that they can't be in the yard and need to leave. They don't ask for permission either which I find rude and obnoxious, but that's another story. Then I come in and call their parents and EVERY TIME their parents all say, "Oh... we didn't know that our kids were over there..."

I don't know what to do. The parents don't tell them NOT to come over and they don't care where their kids are so what options do I have? They are coming into the yard trespassing... and I think they are way too young to be in ANY pool unaccompanied by an adult.

We're opening our pool next week and I'm already dreading it. They've already been in the yard this year looking to see if it's open yet.

Suggestions?

Next time, I wouldn't tell them to leave, I would just call the police and report trespassers in your yard. That may sound harsh - but it's for their safety, and yours. If something should happen to one of them in your yard, those same parents that don't know where they are would be suing you!
Maybe after a brush or two with the police, their parents will start to get the idea?

Erin I would lock it up until you can get a fence.

Colleen if it begins again this year those kids are trespassing and I would call the police. Would you call the cops if you got up one night and a bunch of adults were hanging around your back yard and going into your pool? I would, it might seem mean but you are the one that will pay if something happens.

Rennea - I think you are so smart!:D

(we were typing at the same time!)

ChefBeckyD said:
Rennea - I think you are so smart!:D

(we were typing at the same time!)

Great minds think a like!!!

And so do ours:D

rennea said:
Great minds think a like!!!

And so do ours:D

LOL - that made me laugh - and I needed the moment of lightness right at this moment!

I like Ann's idea! Fits with my personality!!!! :blushing:

Hopefully our house will sell soon and it will become the new owner's problem!

I think what's hard is I have a hard time calling the police on 8 year old's....

I would:A) Lock it to keep out the younger kids
B) Post "private property" signs to keep out the older ones.I cannot imagine this! I still have a swing set in my back yard. There used to be a fence back there ... now there is not ... and nobody comes near my yard!(Maybe it's the foot high grass that is there because everybody promises to fix my mower, but nobody delivers!)

finley1991 said:

I think what's hard is I have a hard time calling the police on 8 year old's....

I agree but if you call and tell them your situation the police can go to there house and talk to parents. They can explain you don't want the kids in trouble you just want them safe.

finley1991 said:

Suggestions?

We have an inground pool too and 2 fences. A fence around our yard and a security fence around the pool b/c of the little kids. Older kids still come into our yard. We have 2 neighbors who have access to our pool all season long and they never take advantage and they never let their kids come without them. We open our pool in April b/c we have a heated pool and people just think The Dameron swim club is open for business, idiots!!!! We had to put up a no trepassing sign on the fence , but that doesn't help 100%.
We also have a mini trampoline and have issues.

As far as the swings and trampoline, I agree with the lock and signing a waiver and talking to the parents. People are sue happy, that is for sure.
Good luck :)

I had NO clue people were so rude and thoughtless and selfish- I guess that's because I only have a hot-tub, and it's broken! :)

Here is the update....we have been locking the trampoline and swinging the swings up so that little kids cannot get on them. DS went out the day after I posted and told everyone that unless my mom meets your mom...you can't be on our trampoline and if we are not out here, you aren't either. It has been working so far.

erinyourpclady said:
Here is the update....we have been locking the trampoline and swinging the swings up so that little kids cannot get on them. DS went out the day after I posted and told everyone that unless my mom meets your mom...you can't be on our trampoline and if we are not out here, you aren't either. It has been working so far.

I love your DS! Give him hugs from the crazy lady in MN! :)

finley1991 said:

It may seem harsh to you, but they already proved they won't listen to an adult's rules (yours), already disrespect the property.

Hey, you jump the fence you pay the punishment.

A good scare from the cops at 8 is better than prison at 16...better to learn why not to be in the back of a police car NOW!

merego said:
We have an inground pool too and 2 fences. A fence around our yard and a security fence around the pool b/c of the little kids. Older kids still come into our yard. We have 2 neighbors who have access to our pool all season long and they never take advantage and they never let their kids come without them. We open our pool in April b/c we have a heated pool and people just think The Dameron swim club is open for business, idiots!!!! We had to put up a no trepassing sign on the fence , but that doesn't help 100%.
We also have a mini trampoline and have issues.

As far as the swings and trampoline, I agree with the lock and signing a waiver and talking to the parents. People are sue happy, that is for sure.
Good luck :)

WOW! Can't believe the gall of people.

My mom still has an above ground pool - they've had one for 32 years (give or take a year). We only once in ALL those years had people jump the fence and use it without permission and you'd better believe the cops were called.

If ANYTHING happens to them, you are liable. My parents had 6 ft. fences surrounding the whole yard, dogs and Beware of Dog signs, etc.

People knew back then not to ask though! You worked and earned what you had. If the OWNERS invited you over, great, if not, don't ask and don't envy. Work and get your own!

The pool was a small blessing to my parents who were middle-class and worked long hours for what we have. We never had new cars, had to pay our own way to college, never took family vacations, so the pool was our only frill. It would be sad to have had someone wreck it for us. (Which someone almost did one winter throwing a brick in it ripping the liner...still remember Dad holding my by the ankles and lowering me into the pool in December to hold the patch on underwater for 5 minutes until it adhered...brr...no wonder I hate cold water now...)

Related to Keep Your Backyard Safe: Military Housing Swing Set & Trampoline Rules and Tips

1. Can I allow my kids to play on the swing set and trampoline without supervision?

No, it is not recommended to allow children to play on the swing set and trampoline without supervision. Accidents can happen and it is important for an adult to be present in case of an emergency.

2. Do I need to have a fence around my swing set and trampoline?

It is not required to have a fence around your swing set and trampoline, but it is highly recommended. A fence can help prevent unauthorized access and keep children and pets from wandering onto the equipment.

3. How often should I inspect and maintain the swing set and trampoline?

The swing set and trampoline should be inspected at least once a month for any wear and tear, loose bolts, or other potential hazards. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain the equipment to ensure safe use.

4. Should I allow children from outside of my family to use the swing set and trampoline?

It is recommended to only allow children you know and have met before to use the swing set and trampoline. This can help prevent accidents and ensure that all children using the equipment are aware of the safety rules.

5. What are some important safety rules for using the swing set and trampoline?

Some important safety rules to follow when using the swing set and trampoline include: having adult supervision, only one child on the trampoline at a time, no flips or somersaults, no jumping from the swing set to the trampoline, and no rough play. It is also important to regularly check the equipment for any potential hazards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef_2_Four
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
Replies
Views
Hathery
Replies
Views
chefjeanine