• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried offering a free cooking show as a door prize?

In summary, people are likely to see right through a free cooking show if it is offered as a door prize. Those who offer such a show should be prepared to not receive many leads.
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
I have a fall festival in two weeks. A lot of people on here have talked about having the door prize be "win a free cooking show". My cynical side is saying that people are going to see right through that and say something... (I'm thinking that because that's what I'D think!)

I can see someone saying, "Yeah, right. I bet everyone wins." I know it'd be rude for me to respond, "And your point is????" ;) For those of you that have offered free shows in your booths....did you get any comments on it? What was your response?

I only did this once... and I only got one person's name in my drawing pile. So of course she won (though she cancelled her initial date so she did in fact pay for her show). I think that fair was an aberration, it was too garage-sale-ish to generate the kind of leads I wanted. But, I will say, if you are offering a free cooking show then be prepared to get fewer leads. While that means the leads you get will be solid ones, you may miss out on people who would be potential customers but are not interested in hosting a show right away. Think of all the "no" and "maybe" door prize slips that initally end up hosting... I just closed one at over 1600 for someone who told me no last June--she said she might be interested but, to quote her "not for like 10 years." So you never know.

When I see a drawing for a free Mary kay makeover, I laugh! Of course, it's free. They always are. BUT our shows aren't always free.
Having said that, I've decided: "No more gimmicks!" Not going to fall for them and I'm not going to make them up for my own business.

I offer a prize drawing for specific products when I am sharing a booth. When it is just me, it is a gift certificate for $25.

Sometimes I will also do drawings for grab bags of products that I really just want to get rid of....people love free stuff! And, with a grab bag, the people who come by the booth can't say "I already have that".

I usually offer a Free Cooking show as "today's special." If you book today . . .

Then I do a seperate drawing, sometimes for a cookbook, sometimes for $25 GC (through me).

I have always given some product away as the door prize but it seems like alot of people are talking about doing the free show thing and it seems to work for them.

I've got two weeks...maybe I can come up with a way to do both so it doesn't seem so....I can't think of a word but hopefully you know what I'm getting at :)

I did this a couple weeks ago and no one remarked that at our booth. I did get 7 bookings by doing this. When I called them, everyone was pretty nice and would just say "no thank you" when I told them they won. I would just give it a try and see how it goes.

When I am at a booth I always ask if they want to enter the drawing for an opportunity to get free products. Then when I call them I tell them that they won the free cooking show. That way they did win the opportunity to get free products, but you're not telling them exactly how up front. If they say they really don't want to host a cooking show I tell them that since they won I will give them the cooking show benefits when they host a catalog show as long as it reaches $500 in sales. I only offer that if they really sound like they have a legitimate reason for not being able to have the cooking show right now.

I did a Fall Festival this past Thursday (10/18) at my son's elementary school. I held a raffle for a free show along with a $25 gift certificate from me when the show was held and qualified. I also raffled 2-$25 GC, 2-$15 GC and 2-$10 GC. The people interested in booking- I told them if they booked that night and held their original date I would give them $20 in free products when the show closed. I received 43 drawing slips, out of the 43- 7 booked shows and 3 want to "discuss" becoming a consultant. YEAH!! So, in the long run I think it was atleast worth it. Do all of you? By the way this was my 1st festival and I am only 6 weeks new.

I even had one woman say to me- "I have held PC shows before and they have always been Free!" I replied by saying, well in a since you are right; however, did you purchase the food for the show. She said "yes". So I said, so in reality it wasn't free. I am going to purchase the food and cook it and all you have to do is invite guests over. She said she would think about it. Then an hour later she walked up with a girlfriend of hers and they both booked a show. So, honesty does work.

I used to always raffle off products and included a free show. Rarely did people take me up on it. (Gina M did!!! HI Gina!!! THAT one obviously worked out really well!:D ) So, the last few times I just did a free cooking show. Most people know what they're entering (some are clueless), so you know that they are at least somewhat interested in hosting. Depending on how many people enter, I don't always offer the free show to every entry. If there were just a few, then I probably would. The last few booths I"ve done have had mixed results. For a booth I did in June, it was WAY worth it! One winner I offered a free show to had a $1000 show. Another $1000 show booked off of hers. A separate free show winner had a smaller show. So THAT one was worth it.

One I did in September didn't have the best results from that drawing. One person will probably do a show next year (I may not do it as free by then, but she knew that) and another one didn't end up doing a show, but did place a $100 order. But at that booth, I did book a catalog show that's going on right now.

I did a booth last night and offered a free show again. I haven't gone through the entries, but there were at least 10 and they knew what they were entering. I also booked a catalog show with the Creative Memories person behind me!!:D

I have a bunch of booths coming up and some I'll do products (since that was required) and some I'll just do a free show. I truly make it free. I send out their invites for them, I bring all the ingredients, plates, cups, napkins, a couple 2 liters of pop, etc. If they do anything extra, that's their choice. I tell them that they get their friends there and I'll do the rest!!:D

pamperedbecky said:
I used to always raffle off products and included a free show. Rarely did people take me up on it. (Gina M did!!! HI Gina!!! THAT one obviously worked out really well!:D ) So, the last few times I just did a free cooking show. Most people know what they're entering (some are clueless), so you know that they are at least somewhat interested in hosting. Depending on how many people enter, I don't always offer the free show to every entry. If there were just a few, then I probably would. The last few booths I"ve done have had mixed results. For a booth I did in June, it was WAY worth it! One winner I offered a free show to had a $1000 show. Another $1000 show booked off of hers. A separate free show winner had a smaller show. So THAT one was worth it.

One I did in September didn't have the best results from that drawing. One person will probably do a show next year (I may not do it as free by then, but she knew that) and another one didn't end up doing a show, but did place a $100 order. But at that booth, I did book a catalog show that's going on right now.

I did a booth last night and offered a free show again. I haven't gone through the entries, but there were at least 10 and they knew what they were entering. I also booked a catalog show with the Creative Memories person behind me!!:D

I have a bunch of booths coming up and some I'll do products (since that was required) and some I'll just do a free show. I truly make it free. I send out their invites for them, I bring all the ingredients, plates, cups, napkins, a couple 2 liters of pop, etc. If they do anything extra, that's their choice. I tell them that they get their friends there and I'll do the rest!!:D
This is what I do too! I made a flyer you all might be able to use.

Attachments

• Enter to win.doc
    156.5 KB · Views: 503
I've started doing a $10 gift certificate, worth $25 at their own show.

I have always doneWin a FREE show at every booth I've ever did - with great success - huge bookings, etc. However, the last booth I did I also offered 50% more free products (which yes, did come out of my pocket - but I worked the numbers, wasn't bad) if they booked right on the spot.. I had even better success with this.

I'm doing a booth in 2 weeks, and I'm going to off the 50% more free again plus enter the drawing for the "free show". My opinion is this. You are only going to get those "serious" about hosting a show to enter the drawing - thus getting rid of all those people who are just looking for a FREE PRODUCT, and you are going to get those who really want to host to book now for the 50% more in free product.

I've always hated those MK "win a free makeover" so I don't do the win a free cooking show I will offer, at fairs, a cooking show where I offer to supply the food. I like the honesty upfront.

I explain to everyone as they're entering what a free cooking show means. I start off by saying "Usually a host provides.......etc...... but as the winner of this prize, I will be providing it all for you, but you still get the host benefits which are......" Then, after they walk away, I jot a note or two down about our conversation so I remember who's who. So, I really don't fee.l like I'm "duping" them into a show. I know you what you mean about the "free" makeovers by MK reps, but I feel this is different because I explain it to those entering. It's also on the flyer that I post at my booth. I've had some who change their minds and don't end up wanting to redeem the prize, so then I just pull another name. Some have wanted to pass it onto a friend which is fine. I tell them they can co-host if they're worried about getting a lot of people there. One of the winners from my booth Friday night was really excited and picked ann end of November date for her show, even though she's having a Jewelry party this weekend. She was excited! Woo hoo!!!:)

I agree with Becky. There is no dishonesty in win a free cooking show. While they are filling out the slip, I tell them what that means. I booked 6 right on my calendar at my last fair. People are entering that want to do it. They are not only getting the free ingredients, but $15 just for hosting. I am definitely doing that way again. I came away with real leads. It works!! I'm so full now that when I had a cancellation that needed to rebook, we're having to do December or January for a weekend date. Go for it!!

carissaz said:
I usually offer a Free Cooking show as "today's special." If you book today . . .

Then I do a seperate drawing, sometimes for a cookbook, sometimes for $25 GC (through me).

I like this idea. I am doing a Taste of Home cooking school in 2 weeks & I think I'll offer this. If they set a date that day, they'll get a free show & I'll pay for the food & bring the plates (app plate & caddy set!), utensils, etc. But I'll also offer a $25 gift cert. through me as an actual prize. Might get people who don't want to do a show, but want to order enter.

What are the benefits of giving "free" shows as prizes?

Giving "free" shows as prizes can help increase sales and generate new leads. It also allows potential customers to experience the products in a fun and interactive way, making them more likely to make a purchase.

How can I offer "free" shows as prizes to my customers?

You can offer "free" shows as prizes by hosting a giveaway or raffle, or by including them as a bonus for purchasing a certain amount of products. You can also partner with other businesses or organizations to offer "free" shows as prizes for their events or promotions.

What are some tips for maximizing the success of "free" shows as prizes?

Some tips for maximizing the success of "free" shows as prizes include promoting the event through social media and email marketing, offering special discounts or promotions during the show, and providing a memorable and enjoyable experience for the attendees.

Do I need to be a consultant to offer "free" shows as prizes?

No, you do not need to be a consultant to offer "free" shows as prizes. If you are a host or customer of Pampered Chef, you can also offer "free" shows as prizes to your friends, family, or customers.

Can I customize the "free" show to fit a specific theme or audience?

Yes, you can customize the "free" show to fit a specific theme or audience. Our consultants are trained to tailor the show to meet the needs and preferences of the host and attendees, so feel free to communicate any specific requests or ideas you may have.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrslulu2012
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • smartcookie
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies