• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has Anybody Experienced a Home Exchange?

In summary, people have done home exchanges before and it is a great way to get to know someone else.
JAE
Has anyone ever done a home exchange? You let people come to stay in your home for a weekend or week or longer and you go stay in their home. I just listed my home, looking for a place in New York City for next summer. Anyone ever done this or know someone who has?

That would TOTALLY freak me out.
Have you done this before??

Nope! And Nope. I would never. But best of luck!

No, I've never done it, but it was on the Today show around the time the movie came out with Jude Law and Cameron Diaz and others. The two ladies did a home exchange from Los Angelas and somewhere in England. Cute movie. Anyway, I figured if they could trust me then I could trust them. I was thinking I'd hire a house cleaner for the week to come and clean but to actually be checking out the guests. I would also have my next door neighbor stop by a few times, too.

My in-laws have done this for years. They have swapped houses with people all over the world and have never had a problem. Not only do they swap houses, they also swap cars. They really like to do this. Personally, I would never do it.

I think if we were to do this we would not swap cars because ours are not nice. Also, our basement isn't finished so we could put stuff down there that we don't want the people using and lock the door. I want to go to NY so bad with my family that I'm willing to go for it.

I know people that have done it before, but I think they knew the people through friends... it is a great idea, just a little bit of a worry in this day and age.

I'm not very worried. Whatever someone would do to us, they must know we could do to them.

Did you go through an agency? I wonder, do they do some sort of checks on the people before they can list?

Sometimes I think I would worry about doing it and other times I would think it would be great. I just can't do it because I have allowed clutter to get out of hand and I am too embarassed to even those I know.

I know this may not be the same but when the Superbowl was in Houston, I heard you could have gotten a huge amount to rent your house. I didn't do it but had the same reservations. It could have made some good money but everything comes with a risk.

Anyone else ever done a home exchange or know someone personally who has done one?

They did this in Salt Lake during the 2002 Olympics alot of people liked the idea!!

The site I am trying is http://www.exchangehomesoia.com
There was another one on google, but I had to pay to see any homes available for exchange. That's why I chose this site.

Can't think why anyone would WANT to exchange my home for theirs......but with your home and where it is situated, I bet you get a good response! I'd trade houses with you.....ummm, but I don't think you'd want to spend a week in Jenison, would you?:D ;) :rolleyes:

ChefBeckyD said:
Can't think why anyone would WANT to exchange my home for theirs......but with your home and where it is situated, I bet you get a good response! I'd trade houses with you.....ummm, but I don't think you'd want to spend a week in Jenison, would you?:D ;) :rolleyes:
Uhhh...No:)

Hey JAE.....I will switch houses with you for sometime in June of 2011.....my oldest son lives in Holland with his mom (yes....I am his other mother!) and will be graduating! But I don't know where I will be living at the time....maybe Hawaii or California or Japan or Guam. Any of those interest you? LOL!!

By the way..it does sound very interesting. Let us know how it goes....

Hey JAE.....I will switch houses with you for sometime in June of 2011.....my oldest son lives in Holland with his mom (yes....I am his other mother!) and will be graduating! But I don't know where I will be living at the time....maybe Hawaii or California or Japan or Guam. Any of those interest you? LOL!!

My in-laws actually do this about once a year and have done it at least 10 years. They have always had really good exchanges. They have even met previous exchanges at the next one. I had the opportunity to go to France with my MIL last month and it was awesome! The thing is that by the time you exchange, you are not strangers anymore because so much communication happens to get ready for it. They go through Home Exchange and Intervac. It gets so spendy to travel with two kids that this makes it really affordable. I just have to kick my mom out of my house before I can do it! :( She doesn't like to leave home! :rolleyes:

I hope someone in NY will want to exchange with me. In the summer Holland is really like a resort beach town. When we go to the beach we hear many different European foreign languages. I'm amazed at the people who come here to vacation. It isn't the east coast, but it's less expensive. And, when you're on a beach looking at a big lake, you really don't know the difference.

JAE said:
I hope someone in NY will want to exchange with me. In the summer Holland is really like a resort beach town. When we go to the beach we hear many different European foreign languages. I'm amazed at the people who come here to vacation. It isn't the east coast, but it's less expensive. And, when you're on a beach looking at a big lake, you really don't know the difference.

I think if people know what Holland is like, they would love to exchange with you! It is a gorgeous town, with lots to do, great, clean, sandy beaches, really good bike trails, fun downtown shopping - unique little shops, not just tourist trap places.........and you are soooooo close to the beaches where you live! It's an easy bike ride to the State Park Beach, or Tunnel Park Beach - someone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of NY would LOVE Holland!

I live 3-4 hours from NYC.... is that close enough? ;)

I think I'll copy and paste Becky's last post and put it on the home exchange website.
And, sorry, 3-4 hours is too far:) But you're welcome to come and visit anytime.

erinyourpclady said:

Erin,

I'm only 1-1/2 hrs from Holland. :D I think I could get my husband to any of those places you might be, except maybe Guam. They have an extreme amount of snakes there. He hates snakes. :yuck:

Erin, you'll have to get back to me in 2011. I would take any of those places except maybe Guam. I'm with Jeanine's post. NO SNAKES!

No, but during the Kentucky Derby there were several people that rented their house out for several thousand (7 or 8)for the week...crazy.

I wonder if anyone wants my quad level 12 miles away from the track? Then again, I'd swap a home in Hawaii if someone is willing...

Chefgirl2 said:
No, but during the Kentucky Derby there were several people that rented their house out for several thousand (7 or 8)for the week...crazy.

I wonder if anyone wants my quad level 12 miles away from the track? Then again, I'd swap a home in Hawaii if someone is willing...
You should try to get a taker for that time of year. I bet there are people who would be happy to stay in your home rather than pay for a hotel durning the festivities.

Related to Has Anybody Experienced a Home Exchange?

1. How does a home exchange work?

A home exchange, also known as a house swap, is a vacation arrangement where two parties swap homes for a designated period of time. This allows both parties to stay in a new location without having to pay for accommodations.

2. Is it safe to exchange homes with strangers?

Yes, it is generally safe to exchange homes with strangers. However, it's important to communicate with the other party and set clear expectations before the exchange. You can also ask for references or read reviews from previous home exchanges to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.

3. How do I find someone to exchange homes with?

There are various websites and online communities dedicated to home exchanges, such as HomeExchange, Love Home Swap, and Intervac. You can also join local home exchange groups or ask friends and family if they know anyone interested in a home exchange.

4. What should I do to prepare for a home exchange?

First, make sure your home is clean and well-maintained for your guests. It's also important to discuss and agree on any rules or expectations with the other party before the exchange. Additionally, you may want to leave some information about your home and local area for your guests to use during their stay.

5. Can I exchange my home for a longer period of time?

Yes, you can exchange your home for as long as both parties agree upon. Some home exchanges can last for weeks or even months. It's important to discuss the length of the exchange and any necessary arrangements with the other party beforehand.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn