• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Greasing Stoneware: A Forgotten Recipe?

In summary, this recipe calls for Crisco, salt, and flour. It is meant to be spread on the surface of a stone and then baked in a 250 degree oven for 30 minutes. If you don't have sides on your stone, put a piece of foil below it to catch the grease. After it's baked, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around, going over every part of the surface. Finally, turn off the oven and leave it in overnight for the oils to seep deeply into the stone.
chefteresa1
Years ago there was a recipe going around for making a mixture to grease stoneware. The idea was to help a new stone season more quickly. It was oil and flour and I'm not sure what else. Does anyone have this?

It was Crisco and salt. I'll have to see if I can find the recipe.

Do not use it on flat stones though! I much prefer to naturally season my stones, it doesn't take that long.

I saw the crisco and salt recipe listed on here in a few places, but the one I had also had flour in it and could be used to grease/flour a pan. What was nice about it was that you didn't get all the flour residue on baked goods that way. I've searched through my files all morning and just can't track it down.

If your looking for baking, it's called Pan-Eeze. For seasoning the stone, I think the crisco & salt is what you're looking for.

Pan-Eeze is simply equal parts flour, shortening & oil. I make it with 1/2 cup each and store in the fridge. It's solid out of the fridge, but turns soft really quickly.

HTH!

nikked - That's the one! Thank you so much!

nikked said:
If your looking for baking, it's called Pan-Eeze. For seasoning the stone, I think the crisco & salt is what you're looking for.

Pan-Eeze is simply equal parts flour, shortening & oil. I make it with 1/2 cup each and store in the fridge. It's solid out of the fridge, but turns soft really quickly.

HTH!

This is awesome!!! I spent the better part of the day baking (14 mini pumpkin bread & 24 mini banana). Usually I spray with oil spritzer & use parchment paper when I use the stoneware mini loaf pan. I used this recipe in addition to a strip of parchment paper. No 'lost' corners and the loaves came out very easily. I will recommending this to my customers!

I copied this recipe from CS. Sorry, I don't know who gets credit :eek:

1/2 cup Crisco
1/4 cup salt

Mix Crisco and salt. Spread over surfaces you want to be nonstick on stoneware. (This is enough to do the Stoneware Fluted Pan. You may have mixture left over.)

Bake in a 250 degree oven for 30 minutes. Important: If using a stone without sides, put a piece of foil on the rack below the one your stoneware is on to catch melting grease. Take the stone out of the oven and let it cool with the melted goop still there. When cool enough to touch, take a paper towel or silicone brush and smear it all around, going over every part of the surface.

Pop it back in the oven. Leave it for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, and leave the stoneware in overnight. This allows the oils to seep deeply into the stone. (Bottom line, it lasts longer than if you just take it out, let it cool, and rinse it off.) The next morning,
rinse/scrape under hot water and voila! Nonstick stoneware! It works wonders for new stones.

Oh. I just read the previous posts and realized you were looking for a different recipe. Oops. Well, maybe somebody else could use this recipe.

Thanks. I didn't know about either of these "tricks", but will certainly use both!

What is the best way to grease stoneware?

The best way to grease stoneware is to use a cooking oil spray or a small amount of vegetable oil spread evenly with a pastry brush.

Can I use butter to grease stoneware?

We do not recommend using butter to grease stoneware as it can cause the stoneware to become too greasy and may affect the cooking results.

Do I need to grease stoneware every time I use it?

It is recommended to grease stoneware before each use to prevent food from sticking and to ensure even cooking.

Can I use parchment paper instead of greasing stoneware?

Yes, you can use parchment paper as an alternative to greasing stoneware. However, it is still recommended to lightly grease the stoneware for the best results.

How do I clean stoneware after greasing?

To clean stoneware after greasing, use a mild detergent and warm water. Do not use soap or harsh chemicals as they can damage the stoneware's non-stick coating. Do not soak stoneware in water for extended periods of time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
emo812