• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grand Opening- Not Looking Too Good

In summary, the author is worried about her upcoming Grand Opening and does not have many people RSVPing. She has a Kitchen Show for Saturday night and an "Open House" on Sunday for those who were not able to make Saturday night. She has invited her friends and neighbors, but only a few people have RSVPed so far. She has a sign out that may help increase attendance.
esavvymom
Staff member
I've got a two-part Grand Opening scheduled this weekend. I did a Kitchen Show for saturday night, inviting my friends and folks I know. I don't have alot of people on that list...I don't know that many people in this area. So far, I've maybe got 1 or 2 people who may come to the Saturday night. Now part 2 is an 'Open House' on Sunday in which those from the Saturday invite could come if they couldn't do night 1, and I invited the 48 neighbors in my community. I just feel like I'm going crazy and getting my place ready for pretty much NOTHING. And if only 1 person shows up, how awkward is that! (For them especially..I hate being the only person to go to a sales-type party/show.)Just a little down right now.:( I don't have any REAL indication either way since no one bothers to RSVP. :grumpy:I don't care about sales, as much as having enough to qualify as a show, and to get bookings of course.The up-side is my husband's co-worker's wife wants to host a show...so I have to get ahold of her to schedule something. And I've got two catalog shows with long-distance family for November, and another going on right now.

My suggestion - get on the phone and call all those on your list - show your enthusiasm and tell them to bring a friend. People are notorious for (pardon my french) sucking at rsvp's and some people simply forget. A friendly reminder and asking whether they are coming will make you feel better as well. Good luck - hope it's a great success!

Pick up the phone and call everyone NOW. We tell our hosts to call everyone, so we have to do it ourselves, too!

call call call. I was really worried about my grand opening show- NOT ONE person RSVPd by the day before. So the day before I called everyone and reminded again and I ended up with 15 people coming, and 4 outside orders.

Also- invite EVERYONE you know. Invite your bank teller, the girl that checks you out at the grocery store, your hair stylist, your mail carrier, EVERYONE. Make sure you give them a paper invite that gives all of the "fun" details and let them know they get a free gift for bringing a friend (I use citrus peelers).

Good luck! I'll bet it will turn out better than you think!

I was supposed to have an Open House tonight at my house. My friend and I (she's my recruiter) do lots of booths together so we were doing an Open House together to show the new fall products and new recipes. Invitations were mailed, emailed and people were told in person. Calls were made to remind people but only ONE person RSVP'd on their own out of about 60-70 that were invited. We decided last night to cancel it and if anybody came........oh well. One lady from my Church showed up around 7:00. She thought she had the wrong day but I told her we didn't hear from anybody with an RSVP so we didn't want to spend money on the food and "maybe" have two people. She didn't realize she needed to RSVP. She had the invitation with her and it was right there at the bottom. She just didn't pay it any attention and I think lots of people do that. SO...........we planned it, my friend spent $6 (they were free, had to pay shipping only) to have invitations printed through Vista Print and that was all the money we had in it. I wouldn't buy the ingredients for the food unless I knew lots of people were coming. It turned out to be for the best. We had alot going against us so it all worked out.

You might try putting a sign out at nearby intersections i.e. "Pampered Chef Open House" -today at such & such a time. I read another post on here where the consultant had 10 or 12 people show up due to a sign she put out.(And they were not the people she had invited in her neighborhood!)I also am planning a two-part open house early in November, and I may try putting a sign out. My Grand Opening was not at all what I had planned. I had about 20 out of 35 "yeses" and the day before I was down to five. Out of that five, only three showed up. Out of the three, only one ordered. However, the four of us enjoyed sitting down together and eating (something I don't get to do at my shows) and we had a good time.
I definitely would not do it on a Saturday again. I have more success with Sunday afternoons (2:00-4:00).

People can sense when you are not enthusiastic.You really have to turn that doubtful into hopeful!!!Good luck, I am fixing to schedule my "Grand Opening" soon.

Ok..it's 7:40pm. My Kitchen show was supposed to start at 7pm. Obviously...it was a big hit. :) NOT! But, I know, I know...it's my own fault...I didn't end up making any calls. Several of the folks I invited live more than 30 miles from me- so I didn't really expect them anyway...but was hoping for maybe outside orders or even interest in their own shows. I just did email reminders other than a few that I saw in person and reminded. So I know..go ahead and scold away. :D This is the BIGGEST HURDLE for me in this business - and I knew it would be. :eek: I think because it is MY show, it's hard to call. I could call folks for another Host to remind- because it would be for that person's benefit more than my own. This way- it just looks like it's for me. I did the Kitchen Show first, because I wanted to 'practice' on live people. I should just practice my show on my two boys- 5 and 7. They would be really into it.

So tomorrow- I just might do the sign on the corner. I actually HAVE one I could use!

On the UP-note...I was so frustrated about tonight, I picked up the phone and called one lead I had for a catalog show....course, it was a flop and she said she didn't want to do one right now. *sigh* But I CALLED! I'll have my DH get his coworker's number so I can call his wife and see about her party while she's still interested and excited. She wants to do a show (and she's a nurse or at least works at the hospital).

I'm not giving up the others though...I'll just take a different approach.:rolleyes:

laurano75 said:
People can sense when you are not enthusiastic.You really have to turn that doubtful into hopeful!!!Good luck, I am fixing to schedule my "Grand Opening" soon.

It's not that I'm not excited or enthusiastic, but I'm not CONFIDENT about my ability to sell/explain the product yet. I'm still a bit overwhelmed.

O.k. here's what I did: I ended up using my grand-opening as a "practice".(I wish I had logged in here and read the suggestion about a sign first!) Having moved here recently, we don't have any family, and most friends are acquaintance level. I invited about 40 people (most of whom I know by sight only, and not on a first name basis). Here is my reasoning. Hey, when my products got unpacked, I "did a show" for my kids, and that's what I ended up doing at my Grand Opening too - casual, FUN INTIMATE shows. In fact, at the Full Grand Opening (night 1 and night 2) I only had a few people show (2 on night 1 and 1 on night 2). I asked for advice after all was done, and the positive feedback has boosted my confidence. But, it turned out well: I now have 3, long-term customers. Although I don't have bookings for this month yet, I do have bookings for in a few months. And, I have my feet wet! I had more people come to my "have a fun little party" That I did the preceding week in the morning "you and your toddler" for stay-at-home moms (having a friend be a host at my house). I took advice and bout the mini-catalogs. I have taken the opportunity to hand some to neighbors (who I didn't see before the grand opening) and mail to some on our Xmas Card list. and I have several leads.

thank you. :)My DH had a good idea for the leftover yummies (I made the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies) - our kids have Awana club tomorrow night..he said pack a tray for the workers/teachers and just say that I was trying out some new Pampered Chef recipes and wanted to bring them some treats. Put out the word that I'm a consultant. I'm trying to get more involved with groups at church too- to meet more people. I'll just keep trying. I've not yet tried the "Pamper a Business", since I was loaded with this and a few other events, but I may try a few businesses at a time to see how that goes. Great advice from everyone- as usual. Just need that push!

I didn't have leftovers from my party because my "support team" (clustermates, friends, my kids and non-shoppers) polisehd everything off. But what I had planned on doing is making up a few plates and taking to the neighbors I had invited saying "sorry you couldn't make it, but I thought you might like to try the recipe I made."

Re: Grand Opening- not looking too good-BOMBEDOk- part 2 update. It's 2:45pm on Sunday. Today was my "Open House" portion of my grand opening. It was scheduled from 1-3pm. I can hear crickets, this house is so quiet. Well, I have Kenny G playing right now. ;)

This is frustrating, BUT I've just decided that having a "Grand Opening" or hosting anything yourself is just not a good idea if you don't actually KNOW people. I can't exactly call people in my neighborhood, even if I wanted to (don't have numbers or names). I put out a sign this morning for it, thinking maybe it would remind people or draw at least a couple. Best I can expect at this point is my next door neighbor and friend was going to pop over at some point. At least I got some good practice on a few recipes. :)

I'm NOT giving up- but I wish I hadn't bothered. I spent most of my money on food...but even that hopefully will not be wasted. Since I don't have at team or anyone to share the food with and my family doesn't need THIS many brownies and Apple tarts, I'm working on Plan B. I'm taking small plates to my kids Awana Teachers tonight with maybe a business card taped to the top (turned over- so it says "Enjoy!" on the blank back side). Then tomorrow, I'm taking a plate of brownies to our local Police Station. We are a small town- maybe 18 officers total. I'm the Chairperson on our Community Watch, and need to drop some things off at the station- including a catalog to one of our Lts. :D. I thought I'd take the brownies in too. After that, I start working on my customer-care Out of the Box calls I need to do from my one and only show, as well as a few calls from my booth last week (the people should have gotten their catalogs on Friday/Saturday- and had time to browse through them).

And I just found out there is a local craft bazaar at a school that I am going to be able to join in on Nov 1st...so time to shift gears and keep trucking. I'm not giving up! :chef:

esavvymom said:
So I know..go ahead and scold away. :D This is the BIGGEST HURDLE for me in this business - and I knew it would be. :eek: I think because it is MY show, it's hard to call. I could call folks for another Host to remind- because it would be for that person's benefit more than my own. This way- it just looks like it's for me...

I'm not giving up the others though...I'll just take a different approach.:rolleyes:

I don't always do this, but I have found at times that it works well to make open houses/grand openings (any party you are doing yourself) a fundraiser for a charity. Last May, I did a Help Whip Cancer (which you can do again this month). Last year, I did a mission trip fundraiser where 5 ladies in my church were going to help orphanages in Russia. While you do make less money on a fundraiser (15% straight instead of 20%+ depending on monthly sales), I've found this is a more effective way to get bookings than having a Mystery Host show because the organization gets $$ for the bookings. (I chip in $2 a booking so I can say it's $5 a booking.)

The best part about this is that the party isn't about you anymore! You are helping others and everyone has the chance to benefit! It can help keep you focused on making the calls since you want it to be effective. This is my favorite approach to take when I'm in danger of going inactive because it keeps the focus off of me.

aPamperedBride said:
I don't always do this, but I have found at times that it works well to make open houses/grand openings (any party you are doing yourself) a fundraiser for a charity. ......

The best part about this is that the party isn't about you anymore! You are helping others and everyone has the chance to benefit! It can help keep you focused on making the calls since you want it to be effective. This is my favorite approach to take when I'm in danger of going inactive because it keeps the focus off of me.

That's a FABULOUS Idea! I don't have the energy (or extra cash) to pull off another one this month, but I will DEFINITELY try that next time! I didn't care about the commission so much as getting a few bookings- commission is nice of course. :) Don't get me wrong.

Thanks for all of the ideas, feedback, and yes- motivation! I made a few calls, am making my list for customer care calls on Monday/Tuesday, and found a craft fair to work. :)

1. What should I do if my Grand Opening is not looking too good?

If your Grand Opening is not looking too good, don't panic. It's important to stay positive and focus on ways to improve your event. You can try reaching out to potential customers through social media, offering promotions or discounts, or partnering with other local businesses to attract more attendees.

2. How can I increase attendance at my Grand Opening?

To increase attendance at your Grand Opening, it's important to promote your event through various channels such as social media, email marketing, and local advertising. You can also offer incentives or special promotions to attract more people. Additionally, consider partnering with other businesses or organizations to reach a larger audience.

3. What type of products should I showcase at my Grand Opening?

When deciding which products to showcase at your Grand Opening, it's important to consider your target audience and what they would be most interested in. You can also choose to highlight new or popular products, as well as any special deals or promotions you may be offering. It's also a good idea to have a variety of products on display to appeal to different tastes.

4. How can I make my Grand Opening more interactive?

To make your Grand Opening more interactive, consider hosting a cooking demonstration or offering product samples for customers to try. You can also set up interactive stations where attendees can participate in games or activities related to your products. This will help engage customers and make the event more memorable.

5. What should I do if I'm not meeting my sales goals at my Grand Opening?

If you're not meeting your sales goals at your Grand Opening, don't get discouraged. Take a look at your sales strategy and see if there are any areas that can be improved. You can also offer special promotions or discounts to encourage customers to make a purchase. Additionally, consider following up with attendees after the event to continue promoting your products and services.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• littlebeans
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • Skidget
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • mama2emma