• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Getting DSL and Need Help Choosing a Router

In summary, you need a router to make your DSL connection wireless. You will also need a wireless card and security settings set up.
jrstephens
I am getting DSL from Bellsouth tomorrow. Well, my modem is suppose to be delivered by UPS then.

I need a Router to make it wirelss in my house and so Russell can use his computer on it too.

I have NO IDEA what to buy. I need help!!

There are tons on Ebay for just a few dollars. Will those work? Walmart and Best Buy have some for $35-40.

What specs do I need to do what I want? I can do most anything on a computer but no nothing about routers.

UPS JUST DELIVERED MY MODEM A DAY EARLY!! I AM SO EXCITED TO GET DSL AT HOME! Now I can chat while I am off work and still have a phone line! YAHOO!

Skip E-bay - you don't know the quality and warranty - not worth it!Your DSL should have what you need for the PCs for wireless you need an access point in your house.

Oops - forgot to tell you...once you have a wireless router, if you have cordless phones, make sure your phones are 5.8 GHz or higher or you may have interference or your phones ringing randomly. :)

Bell south could have given you a router. Did you ask them?

DebbieJ said:
Bell south could have given you a router. Did you ask them?

They should have given her a router as part of her system. I'm pretty sure she just needs a WAP.

You'll probably need a few Tylenol too - especially if you have to call Bell South Tech support in the Phillipines for some assistance! (Or as we refer to them as "Bell South I probably can't help you but I'll have you do everything on my cheat sheet before I call in a supervisor for the really simple solution" LOL

I have a wireless card that came with my laptop. So, I assume I can go into the Control Panel and find out what kind I have?

I asked BS (notice I used BS b/c I know what else it stands for too, HA) about a router and they want $100. I hate calling technical support. Especially since I do not speak whatever that foreign language is they speak! The girl I was talking to said I could find one much cheaper at Walmart or Best Buy.

I successfully set up DSL. Now I just need to buy a router. Thanks for the advice and of course keep it coming.

I am sure I will be back for more!! HA!

jrstephens said:
......I asked BS .....
We 'lovingly' refer to them as BS here too! ugh, the only other option we have for high-speed internet is Charter and I don't want to trade one headache for another. We are seriously thinking of getting our own domain name for email - at least that will take care of my email issues with BS.

Related to Getting DSL and Need Help Choosing a Router

1. What is DSL and how does it differ from other types of internet connections?

DSL stands for digital subscriber line and it is a type of internet connection that uses existing phone lines to transmit data. Unlike cable or fiber optic connections, DSL does not require a separate line and is typically more affordable.

2. How do I know if DSL is available in my area?

You can check with your local internet service providers to see if they offer DSL in your area. You can also use online tools to search for DSL availability by entering your zip code.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a router for DSL?

When choosing a router for DSL, you should consider the speed and range of the router, as well as its compatibility with your internet service provider. Additionally, you may want to consider the number of devices you will be connecting to the router and any advanced features you may need.

4. Can I use any router for DSL or do I need a specific type?

Most routers are compatible with DSL, but it is always best to check with your internet service provider to see if they have any specific recommendations or requirements for routers. Some providers may offer their own routers for use with their DSL service.

5. How can I set up my router for DSL?

Setting up a router for DSL is a fairly straightforward process. First, you will need to connect the router to your DSL modem using an Ethernet cable. Then, you can follow the instructions provided by your router manufacturer to set up the router and connect your devices to the network.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LeslieSGI
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
cookinmama