1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Garlic Slicer

1. cookin to the top

cookin to the top Member Gold Member

This is such a great tool- but I don't know many recipes that call for sliced garlic! If you have some good ones- post them please?

2. leftymac

leftymac Veteran Member

you can use sliced garlic in any pasta dish you make, or it's really good on pizza too :)

Aug 13, 2009
  3. Triciascucina

Triciascucina Member

We make Pasta, oil and garlic all the time. I love the slices it makes.

Aug 13, 2009
  4. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

It's not just great for garlic. We use ours for shaving parmesean and chocolate. :)

Aug 13, 2009
  5. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I made green beans with garlic at Christmas. I could have really used the slicer. As others have already mentioned, just about any recipe that calls for pressed garlic can be made with sliced. It will have a milder garlic flavor.

I use the slicer for fresh ginger and mushrooms, as well. The mushrooms disintegrate in soups or stews, so people who don't like the texture of mushrooms can still get the flavor.

Aug 13, 2009
  6. Chef Gilles

Chef Gilles Member Gold Member

Any recipe that calls for roasted garlic..roast your own. It's so easy with the slicer. I use ir when baking the most though with chocolate or almonds.

Aug 13, 2009
  7. pcheflisad

pcheflisad Novice Member

Also really good for slicing baby carrots into salad!!!!

Aug 13, 2009
  8. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

The grilled chicken penne pasta uses sliced garlic! I'm slicing it with my paring knife and it's a pain!

Aug 13, 2009
  9. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

Re: Garlic Folk Remedies

Tincture: To lower blood pressure, make a tincture of garlic in this manner:

Soak a half pound of peeled garlic cloves in a quart of brandy, place it in a sunny place for two weeks. Shake the bottle daily and strain the results. Take up to 25 drops of the tincture daily as needed.

I don't know if it will really lower my BP or not, but after a dose, who cares?

Cough Syrup: Pour a quart of boiling water over a pound of peeled garlic cloves and allow the mixture to steep overnight. Add honey to taste, until it takes on a syrupy consistency. Caraway seeds or fennel seed may be added to improve the taste. :yuck:

I mean, I love garlic...but...

Tea: Pour a cup of boiling water over several cloves of garlic and allow to steep for six to eight hours. This tea is (reportedly) a welcome relief for a sore throat or to relieve symptoms of flu.

Garlic Oil: Slice a clove of garlic and add a few drops of olive oil. Heat and strain. A few drops of this oil (supposedly) relieves an earache.

Garlic Juice: You can gather a half teaspoon of garlic juice by crushing a clove and diluting with water. Drink two or three times a day for...well, whatever ails you.

10. cookin to the top

cookin to the top Member Gold Member

Thanks for the great ideas! I know you can also make garlic oil (My mom's suggestion). Pizza and pasta sound great- but I've always pressed the garlic. Does it make a difference?

11. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

I'd only press it if I wanted to get the wrinkles out.

Have something to add?