• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fun and Creative Ways to Cook Potatoes: A Teen Cooking Class on June 14

In summary, Don is teaching a group of teenagers on Thursday, June 14 about how to eat with variety, including potatoes. He plans to have them use the tools he has brought, such as the Micro Cooker, Mix N Masher, and old Potato Masher. He also plans to have them plan different potato dishes for a week or even as a main dish. He forgot to include twice baked potatoes in his original list, but plans to talk about them later. He also plans to make mashed potatoes and baked potato soup.
raebates
Staff member
Okay, so I'm teaching a group of 5 to 10 teenagers on Thursday, June 14. I'm really looking forward to it.

I plan to talk about potatoes--how you can fix them oodles of different ways. (The broader topic is how you can eat with variety, even if your food choices are limited. Potatoes are easier to show than chicken, but the concept is the same.) After I talk, I'll have the kids go from station to station and use the tools for themselves. I was just wondering if you, my wonderfully creative friends, could come up with some other ideas.

Different ways to fix them: mashed, fried, scalloped/au gratin, baked, french fries, hash browns, home fries, roasted, and waffle fries.

The stations I plan to set up: ultimate mandolin, deluxe cheese grater (with coarse grate barrel), crinkle cutter, the apple wedger, and vegetable peeler.

I also plan to show the Micro Cooker (since that's an easy way to cook potatoes), the Mix N Masher and the old Potato Masher (since that's what a regular masher looks like). Since fresh garlic is a great way to change up a recipe, I also plan to explain the difference between a head of garlic and a clove of garlic, and how to use a garlic press.

Okay, so what have I forgotten? TIA!

Sounds good. Don't forget to talk about how some potatoes are better for boiling or steaming (the waxier ones), while some are better for baking/roasting/frying (Russets).

Something I should have learned many many years ago is menu planning. Maybe you could have them plan different potato dishes as the vegetable for a week or even as a main dish - like Twice Baked Potatoes.

Also tips like - don't leave potatoes out in the cold (like in your car overnight -I didn't say I DID THAT once, did I?) or the insides turn black, and how to tell a fresh potato from an old, soft one.

And don't forget sweet potatoes (if you want to branch into other potatoes) and Sweet potato pie, or Sweet potato casserole. YUM YUM

I know that the main idea isn't potatoes, but that is why I think the menu planning is a good idea. I started menu planning and it saves me hours of worrying what to fix and saves a lot of work and money.

What about how to turn basic baked potatoes into many different cuisines... i.e. loaded baked potato, potato with chili on top, potato with salsa, in england they put tuna on potatos or baked beans on potatoes, or what to do with leftover baked potatoes... potato skins, mashed potatoes, potato patties, etc.

One of my co-workers said that a baked potato with tuna salad and a slice of swiss cheese on top of it is the best loaded baked potato (if you like tuna salad of course !) I haven't tried it yet, but she used to buy it when she worked next to a place that sold them that way.

Potato Pancakes!! Yummmmmm

raebates said:
Let me pick your brain!
If you have a choice between brains, I certainly wouldn't pick mine.

Braaaaaiiiinnnnssssss.........

[pinkyvoice] Gee, Brain, whut do you want to do tonght? [/pinkyvoice]
418px-Pinky_and_the_Brain_vol1.jpg

Last edited:
Same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

I wondered what you people would do with my thread title. I made it too easy. Didn't I?

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I have never tried this but someone told me you can use the Corer and core the potato lengthwise. Then stick a hotdog in and bake it as you would a baked potato. Might be cute for little kids. Maybe slice with the crinkle cutter.

You can use the easy accent decorator either to pipe in mashed potatoes for twice baked or just to have as a side for baked potatoes with sour cream in it. Kids would love to use that!

More great ideas.

I forgot to include twice baked in my original list of what I plan to talk about. I also plan to explain the difference between whipped and mashed potatoes.

baked potato soup is so easy to make too

When I make my mashed potatoes I add baking powder (amount depends on how many potatoes I boiled) makes them so fluffy.... oh wait maybe thats all the butter and heavy cream I use!!

How about amking them a recipe booklet with different potato recipes

My middle son loves fresh new red potatoes and fresh green peas boiled together and then I make a cream sauce for them.

show them how to use the APCs to peel them or make spiral potatoes for deep frying.

potato salad ideas might be good too

You could use our wonderful oils and rosemary seasoning and put them on a bar pan for roasting.

APCS! Another great station! Didn't think of potato salad--probably because I don't eat it.

The cookbook would be a good idea, but it won't really fit in with what the instructor has planned (waaay too long to explain). However, I do plan to have recipe cards available.

Thanks again for all the great ideas. I'm really excited about teaching this class.Nicole, I discussed things further, and I am going to offer the potato booklet.

1. What is "Let Me Pick Your Brain" all about?

"Let Me Pick Your Brain" is a service offered by Pampered Chef where you can schedule a one-on-one session with a consultant to get personalized advice, tips, and recommendations related to cooking, meal planning, and using Pampered Chef products.

2. How long is each "Let Me Pick Your Brain" session?

Each session is typically 30 minutes long, but may vary depending on the consultant and your specific needs. You can also schedule multiple sessions if needed.

3. How much does it cost to use the "Let Me Pick Your Brain" service?

The cost for a 30-minute session with a consultant is $25. However, if you make a purchase of $75 or more during the session, the $25 fee will be waived.

4. Can I choose the consultant for my "Let Me Pick Your Brain" session?

Yes, you can choose a specific consultant for your session based on their availability. You can also request a specific consultant if you have worked with them before and would like to continue with them.

5. Can I ask any cooking-related questions during my "Let Me Pick Your Brain" session?

Yes, you can ask any cooking-related questions during your session. Our consultants are trained and knowledgeable about Pampered Chef products, recipes, and cooking techniques, so feel free to ask away!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sharalam
  • DebPC
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies