• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grate or Press Garlic? Rachel Ray's Way

In summary, Rachel Ray uses a microplane grater to grate her garlic instead of pressing or chopping it. Her garlic has a different flavor depending on how she does it. Brenda is right that this is wasteful, and somebody needs to demo the PC Garlic Press to her.
Shawnna
Gold Member
I have been watching Rachel Ray the past few weeks and I have noticed that she grates her garlic instead of pressing it or chopping it...with a microplane grater. I don't think I have ever seen her use a garlic press. Do any of you do this? Its obviously very fine...not chunky. Does it alter the flavor? What are your thoughts on this?

The different ways of doing garlic do give it a different flavor depending on how much the oils are released. Pressing the garlic gives it a more intense flavors as it squashes the heck out of the garlic releasing the oils. I would probably say that grating it like she does will probably give it the same flavor as pressing it. Dicing with a knife will give it a less intense flavor, slicing it an even less intense flavor and the least intense flavor (in my book) is cooking the whole cloves.

Yes, wadesgirl is right. Pressing and grating give you essentially the same results. She grates her garlic because (1) she's got a grater right there, (2) she doesn't own a garlic press (at least, that's what she's said before), and (3) she knows how to do that without grating parts of her fingers into the dish she's making.

raebates said:
Yes, wadesgirl is right. Pressing and grating give you essentially the same results. She grates her garlic because (1) she's got a grater right there, (2) she doesn't own a garlic press (at least, that's what she's said before), and (3) she knows how to do that without grating parts of her fingers into the dish she's making.

...and (4) she obviously doesn't mind smelling like garlic all day. :chef:

Well, we could use our fine microplane with the holder thing if we wanted to grate it but it does seem like more effort than our garlic press. ...But for the person who just wants to buy one of them... I'll have to give it a try.

She also throws half of her garlic clove away when she grates it. Such a waste.

Brenda is right too as I noticed this with any of the TV chefs that use a micro-plane rather than a press. Mario Batali does it too on The Chew. Also, because of the sticky nature of garlic, not only do they loose the part they can not grate but also any that gets stuck to the bottom of the plane. I tried it, and will not do it again. It is very wasteful in my opinion. Not that garlic is very expensive but still.. "Waste not, want not!" Besides, I have no need to chase away vampires all day either!

Somebody needs to demo the PC Garlic Press to her! :)

What is "Grate or Press Garlic? Rachel Ray's Way"?

"Grate or Press Garlic? Rachel Ray's Way" is a cooking technique popularized by celebrity chef Rachel Ray. It involves using a grater or garlic press to extract the flavors and aromas of garlic in a more efficient and convenient way.

What is the benefit of grating or pressing garlic?

Grating or pressing garlic allows you to release its full flavor and aroma, making it a great addition to any dish. It also saves you time and effort compared to mincing garlic with a knife.

Which tool is better for grating or pressing garlic - a grater or a garlic press?

Both a grater and a garlic press can effectively grate or press garlic. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of dish you are making. A grater may work better for dishes that require finely grated garlic, while a garlic press is perfect for dishes that call for minced garlic.

Do I need to peel the garlic before grating or pressing it?

Yes, you should peel the garlic before grating or pressing it. This will ensure that you only extract the flavors and aromas of the garlic and not the skin.

Can I grate or press other ingredients besides garlic?

Yes, you can grate or press other ingredients such as ginger, onions, and citrus fruits. Just make sure to use a clean grater or garlic press each time to avoid cross-contamination of flavors.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mike nike
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • scrappergirl7
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scrappergirl7
  • RachelNguyen