• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fun and Easy Kids Cooking Class for Ages 4-8

In summary, Stacy did a kids cooking class with a homeschool group for 2 hours a day, one day a week. The cost was $40 and each child received a cookbook, bar board, and safe cutter. She also did a cooking class called Kids Cuisine through the rec department, with different themes and age groups. She used all the tools and wore her PC shirt, but was not allowed to advertise selling PC. She also did cooking term and recipe reading tip games. The class was a lot of fun, but it's unclear if it brought in any business.
noelskitchen
Has anyone done a kids cooking class? I'm thinking about trying to set up a cooking class somewhere maybe contacting a rec center or someplace for kids ages 4-8 to do a kids cooking class on a Sat. My idea was to have a parent come with the child and have them purchase a kit (not sure yet what would be in the kit) for each child wanting to participate a few weeks ahead when they sign up and demonstrating/teaching the parent and child some PC kid friendly recipes. Any ideas on this?

I did one a few months back with a homeschool group. It was for 2 hours a day, one day a week. The cost was $40 to cover food & materials plus each child received the "Let's Eat" cookbook, bar board & my safe cutter. The kids really enjoyed it. I only ended up with 2 families (4 kids) plus my 2. I am offering it again in the fall.

Stacy - what recipe did you make?

stacywhitlow said:
I did one a few months back with a homeschool group. It was for 2 hours a day, one day a week. The cost was $40 to cover food & materials plus each child received the "Let's Eat" cookbook, bar board & my safe cutter. The kids really enjoyed it. I only ended up with 2 families (4 kids) plus my 2. I am offering it again in the fall.

How far in advance did you set up the class? Did you make a flyer? How did you announce it and I'm also curious on what recipes you make in the 2 hr time frame. Any bookings or extra sales?

Noel,

Last summer I did a cooking class called Kids Cuisine through the rec department (so they did all the announcing - I wasn't allowed to advertise that I sold PC, but I used all the tools and wore my PC shirt). I did a different theme each week. I had two age groups (the classes were an hour each; kindergarten - 3rd grade, 4th - 6th). Here's what I did:

Summers Snacks and Sippers (Pucker Up Lemonade and Poolside Snack Mix)
Dog Days of Summer (Puppy Chow and Pupperoni Pizza Bread Sticks)
Dippity Doo Dips (Creamy Chocolate Fondue Dip and Dill Dip, cut up veggies & fruit)
Breakfast Buffet (PB & J waffle sandwiches and Cheesy Scrambled eggs)
A Meal Fit for a King (King's Gold, which was mac and cheese, and Crown Jewel Parfaits, which was Jell-O layered w/ whipped cream)
Easy as Pie...or Cake (Mouse in the House cupcakes and 5 Minute Candy Bar Pie)

I also did cooking term and recipe reading tip games, trivia, word searches, etc. that I looked up on the web.

Let me know if I can be of more help. It was a lot of fun!

dianevill said:
Noel,

Last summer I did a cooking class called Kids Cuisine through the rec department (so they did all the announcing - I wasn't allowed to advertise that I sold PC, but I used all the tools and wore my PC shirt). I did a different theme each week. I had two age groups (the classes were an hour each; kindergarten - 3rd grade, 4th - 6th). Here's what I did:

Dippity Doo Dips (Creamy Chocolate Fondue Dip and Dill Dip, cut up veggies & fruit)
A Meal Fit for a King (King's Gold, which was mac and cheese, and Crown Jewel Parfaits, which was Jell-O layered w/ whipped cream)

I also did cooking term and recipe reading tip games, trivia, word searches, etc. that I looked up on the web.

Did it bring you any business?

dianevill said:
Noel,

Sounds GREAT!. How far in advance did you order supplies or did you. Are all the recipes accessible on PC I know some are not and I only have 2 cookbooks but those recipes are not in them.

Here's what I'm doing this summer:

Summer Cooking Camps for Kids

The Registration Fee will be $25 for each class and is due June 5th. Camps fill up fast, so call today to reserve your spot. Get extra FREE products of your choice if you register your child for all 6 cooking camps. I'll also work with you if you sign up more than one child, or want to substitute products.

All About Pizza: June 24th, 1:00 - 2:30pm

Kids will learn three different ways to make pizza and go home with a Chef's Hat, Pizza Cutter, and the Slice 'N Serve.

Patriotic Celebration: July 1st, 1:00 - 2:30pm

These fantastic red, white, and blue recipes will be perfect for the holiday. Kids will go home with the Small Bar Pan, and a Star Cutter.

Pajama Brunch: July 9th, 9:30 - 11:00am

Come in your pajamas and see how much fun cooking breakfast can be. Products include: Mini-Muffin Pan and Cinnamon Sprinkle.

We All Scream for Ice Cream: July 15th, 1:00 - 2:30pm

This is the ultimate ice cream bar where kids will get the Ice Cream Sandwich Maker and Prep Bowl to help serve it up right.

Cookie Mania: July 30th, 1:00 - 2:30pm

Our Kid's Baking Set makes cookies a breeze. The Small Scoop will also help us with quick and easy cookie recipes.

Lunchtime Treats: August 6th, 12:00 - 1:30pm

Kids will be able to make their own back to school lunch with the Cut 'N Seal, Egg Slicer Plus, and these yummy recipes.

I did some last year too and it was really fun. This year they'll get about $20 in products at each class and the other $5 goes to ingredients. I limit it to 6 or 8 kids per class. I usually get a show out of it when I place the order for all the products and I use the free products to get a little thank you gift for the moms.

Becky,

I did get a show and a couple of orders from it, but to be honest, it wasn't my main goal. I was hired by the Rec Department to do the class (the rec supervisor is one of my hosts). I had to go through all the drug testing, background check, etc.

Noel, a lot of the recipes I just found on-line or in other cookbooks. I'm happy to provide any you need - just let me know. Even if you are doing this more for PC than what I did, you don't have to use PC recipes (not saying you shouldn't, just saying you don't have to). I used only my PC products, so it was easy to show that our tools are for all recipes, not just PC recipes (although, again, this was for kids, so they didn't really care what I was using, but when the parents came in and the kids told them about the Citrus Press to make lemonade, that sold a few!).

catlwilles said:

The Registration Fee will be $25 for each class and is due June 5th. Camps fill up fast, so call today to reserve your spot. Get extra FREE products of your choice if you register your child for all 6 cooking camps. I'll also work with you if you sign up more than one child, or want to substitute products.

Kids will learn three different ways to make pizza and go home with a Chef's Hat, Pizza Cutter, and the Slice 'N Serve.

These fantastic red, white, and blue recipes will be perfect for the holiday. Kids will go home with the Small Bar Pan, and a Star Cutter.

Come in your pajamas and see how much fun cooking breakfast can be. Products include: Mini-Muffin Pan and Cinnamon Sprinkle.

This is the ultimate ice cream bar where kids will get the Ice Cream Sandwich Maker and Prep Bowl to help serve it up right.

Our Kid's Baking Set makes cookies a breeze. The Small Scoop will also help us with quick and easy cookie recipes.

Kids will be able to make their own back to school lunch with the Cut 'N Seal, Egg Slicer Plus, and these yummy recipes.

I did some last year too and it was really fun. This year they'll get about $20 in products at each class and the other $5 goes to ingredients. I limit it to 6 or 8 kids per class. I usually get a show out of it when I place the order for all the products and I use the free products to get a little thank you gift for the moms.

Could you possibly post what recipes you are doing for the different classes?

This actually sounds like fun!

Catlwilles,

Your summer camp sounds like it will be a blast! I love some of your theme ideas.

The only thing is I would check to see if you can actually do this. I thought I read on here somewhere that we can't charge for classes. I don't know the policy/procedures for this, maybe it has to do something with wording; again, I'm not really sure, and I'm really not trying to stir up any trouble at all, but I just don't want you to get into trouble for anything.

Can anyone help out?

catlwilles said:

I really like this idea and it seems really simple and the kids would have a lot of fun. What does the registration fee cover? I haven't done the math but the $25 for each class does that cover purchase of the product and ingredients? I would love to get strarted on getting this set up right away. June is here in a couple of weeks.

Summer kid's cooking classI am doing my homeschool kid's cooking class in the summer this year instead of the fall, because I am starting an economics class in the fall to teach kids about getting a job, paying bills, writing checks and balancing a checkbook (budget).
My cooking classes are $30 per month (4 classes each month) for 3 months. It pretty much covers the ingredients, worksheets, folders, and free kid friendly PC take home tool each month. It will be a different tool each month. I will give kids homework and they will get a sticker when they return it. At the end of the month they can cash in their stickers for goodies!

I am making things like:

Create a scene Cookie puzzles
Little piggy pies
Mini Pizzas and Dessert Pizzas
Mini Dump Cakes
Decorating mini cakes with fondant shapes and flowers

I don't have these recipes on my computer so I can't post them, they are in my kid's cookbooks. I have lots of them. Plus some recipes from the Let's Eat Kid's cookbook that PC sells.

Debbie :D

I remember discussing that previously too, Diane. The fee covers their products and the cost of ingredients. I don't make anything else, other than the commission I get from placing the order for the products, so it isn't as though I'm actually charging or getting paid for the time it takes for me to do the class. I think it is okay since I'm doing it that way. I have talked about it with my director and she was okay with everything. I break it up into about $20 for the products and $5 for the ingredients.

I haven't decided completely on which recipes I'm doing yet. I know that for the pizza class I'm doing an appetizer pizza like the Cool Veggie Pizza, a main dish pizza, and a dessert pizza; probably the Peanutty Brownie Pizza. I'll probably do the PB & J Waffles, Mini Quiches, and Cinnamon Sprinkle Rolls for breakfast. We'll be doing Ice Cream Sandwiches and possibly and ice cream pie for that class, and the Berries 'N Stars, and may be the berry salad for the patriotic class. We'll probably do calzones, or wraps for lunch, and cookies will be easy. There's so many to choose from for that one.

I've gotten a really good response from the parents and the kids, and it seems like they are happy with the way it is set up. Most of those who participate are close friends and neighbors, so it is people that I know really well. It was really fun last time and I'm excited to do it again.

ChefBeckyD said:
Could you possibly post what recipes you are doing for the different classes?

This actually sounds like fun!

If you get a chance I would be interested in knowing the recipes as well. I so want to do this but don't know if I have enough time to put it together.

1. What age range is appropriate for the kids cooking class?

The kids cooking class is designed for children ages 5-12 years old. Children outside of this age range may still participate, but parents should be aware that the activities and recipes may not be as suitable for their child's skill level.

2. Do I need to bring any ingredients or supplies for the cooking class?

No, all ingredients and supplies will be provided for the cooking class. However, if your child has any food allergies or dietary restrictions, please let the instructor know ahead of time so accommodations can be made.

3. How long is the kids cooking class?

The kids cooking class typically lasts for 1-2 hours, depending on the age range and size of the group. This includes time for instruction, cooking, and cleanup.

4. Can parents stay and watch during the cooking class?

Parents are welcome to stay and observe the cooking class, but we ask that they do not participate in the cooking activities. This allows the children to have a hands-on experience and learn independently. However, parents are more than welcome to help with cleanup afterwards.

5. What types of recipes will the kids be making in the cooking class?

The recipes chosen for the kids cooking class are easy and fun for children to make, while also introducing them to new flavors and cooking techniques. Some examples of recipes we may make include mini pizzas, fruit kabobs, and homemade granola bars.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DeannaK1022
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Chef Diane
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Diane