• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fried Chicken Novice Seeks Tried-and-True Recipes

I use plain and then add one of our seasonings instead of using the seasoned. Frying time is just about 30 minutes and then baking time is 30-40 but it's still a fairly quick, healthier, less expensive alternative to KFC or other fast foods.
chefmoseley
Gold Member
Ok I know that it can't be too hard but I've never made fried chicken. I stopped at a local farm stand and bought corn and snap beans and I really want to make fried chicken and mac n cheese to go with it. Any tired and true tips and recipes would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Amy

I've made fried chicken several times and am convinced it's just better off being purchased. No matter the method I try, it doesn't come out as flavorful as I'd like it to be.You want to stand over hot oil in this heat? More power to ya! :)

I don't really want to stand over hot oil in this heat but I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and cravings call :) lol

If I were 7 1/2 months pregnant and craving fried chicken my arse would be going to Popeye's. :)

LOL! I have to agree with Keith that fried chicken is one of those things that never seems to be worth the bother. But if it doesn't have to be actually FRIED, the chicken in the Weekday Dinners cards (Parmesan-crusted chicken) is close to a traditional fried chicken, because it has a crunchy breading. And you can jazz it up by adding Cajun seasoning to the breadcrumb/parm mixture. (plus, it's not deep fat fried, so it's a little healthier)

My mom always made fried chicken this way:

Bread the chicken using flour, then egg then seasoned bread crumbs (I think she always used Progresso).

Then she would pan fry in some oil - enough that there was a good amount on the bottom of the pan, but not anywhere near an amount that would be considered deep frying. I am picturing about 1/4 - 1/2" of oil in the pan. She would fry up the chciken pieces intil nice and brown and crusty, turning as needed to get all sides.

Then she would stick all the pieces in a baking pan and bake in the oven.

DH LOVES her fried chicken. It is not the same as what you would buy at KFC or somewhere like that...but DH still craves it.

I guess I should learn to cook this for him :)

This is my mother-in-law's recipe for fried chicken legs. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for whatever type of chicken pieces you have, even if it's not legs.

This recipe is awesome! The chicken ends up with a light, crispy crust but still really moist and juicy from the slow cooking. It's one of my favorite things that she cooks.

Fried Chicken Legs
1 package chicken legs
¼ C. oil
1 stick butter or margarine
Flour
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Remove skin from chicken. Mix flour, salt, and pepper. Coat chicken in flour mixture. Add butter and oil to frying pan, heat until oil is hot (but not splattering) and butter is melted. Add chicken to hot oil and butter. Cover, brown one side, turn, cover again, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 1 hour.

Publix has the best fried chicken!

They have a sign in the deli that says : "If the Colonel's chicken were as good as ours, he'd have been an Admiral" LOL mmm mmm good

kam said:
My mom always made fried chicken this way:

Bread the chicken using flour, then egg then seasoned bread crumbs (I think she always used Progresso).

Then she would pan fry in some oil - enough that there was a good amount on the bottom of the pan, but not anywhere near an amount that would be considered deep frying. I am picturing about 1/4 - 1/2" of oil in the pan. She would fry up the chciken pieces intil nice and brown and crusty, turning as needed to get all sides.

Then she would stick all the pieces in a baking pan and bake in the oven.

DH LOVES her fried chicken. It is not the same as what you would buy at KFC or somewhere like that...but DH still craves it.

I guess I should learn to cook this for him :)
This is how I make fried chicken except that I add butter with the oil - about 1/3 oil and 2/3 butter. Any bread crumbs work. Sometimes I use plain and then add one of our seasonings instead of using the seasoned. Frying time is just about 30 minutes and then baking time is 30-40 but it's still a fairly quick, healthier, less expensive alternative to KFC or other fast foods. ...by the time you drive over and wait in line you've used at least half that time anyway and your budget and waisteline will feel the difference.

I use the dipping trays with this recipe. YUM!

BethCooks4U said:
This is how I make fried chicken except that I add butter with the oil - about 1/3 oil and 2/3 butter. Any bread crumbs work. Sometimes I use plain and then add one of our seasonings instead of using the seasoned. Frying time is just about 30 minutes and then baking time is 30-40 but it's still a fairly quick, healthier, less expensive alternative to KFC or other fast foods. ...by the time you drive over and wait in line you've used at least half that time anyway and your budget and waisteline will feel the difference.

I use the dipping trays with this recipe. YUM!

You know, my mom might have added butter to the oil...I will have to ask her. The times you mention seem about the same too. She makes a whole 9x13 pan full and saves the rest for leftovers.

An older lady at our church makes the best fried chicken I have ever eaten; this is her recipe:
chicken
oil
eggs, 1 or 2 beaten
ice water in a bowl
flour
Remove skin from chicken. Put in ice water for about 5 minutes, then put in bowl with beaten eggs to soak. Salt and pepper. Have grease hot in skillet. Roll chicken in flour and put in skillet to cook. When done, remove and put on paper towels to drain.

The first time I ever fried chicken I used this recipe and it was delicious! I am not sure what the ice water does, but I did it anyway.

The best fried chicken I've made was based on a recipe I saw on Julia Child (when she was having guest chefs on). They marinated the chicken in buttermilk and seasonings overnight, then double dipped (dip in flour with seasoning, dip in egg, redip in flour). Then fried...I've never been able to find the exact recipe, but usually Tony Sacherys (spelling?) (Cajun Seasoning), salt and pepper...if i'm in the mood for extra spice, I'll add a little hot sauce to the buttermilk.

The buttermilk makes the chicken taste SO GOOD, and it really tenderizes the meat. I am NOT a buttermilk fan (my mom CRAVED the stuff when she was pregnant and drank too much of it I think!!! hehehehe), so was nervous about it, but I figured if Julia said it was good, it must be, and it was!!!!

HTH!

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipes :) Everything was YUMMY!!!! KAM I used your recipe for the chicken and the kids and hubby really enjoyed it :)

chefmoseley said:
Just wanted to say thanks for the recipes :) Everything was YUMMY!!!! KAM I used your recipe for the chicken and the kids and hubby really enjoyed it :)

I am so glad to hear that it turned out!!:) I'll now have to try it myself. I watched my mother make this for years - but never tried it.

1. What is the best type of chicken to use for fried chicken?

The best type of chicken to use for fried chicken is typically bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces such as thighs, drumsticks, or breasts. These cuts of chicken tend to have more flavor and stay juicy when fried.

2. How do I ensure that my fried chicken is crispy?

To ensure crispy fried chicken, it is important to coat the chicken with a flour or breadcrumb mixture and then let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before frying. This helps the coating stick to the chicken and creates a crispy texture.

3. Can I use a different type of oil besides vegetable oil?

While vegetable oil is the most commonly used oil for frying chicken, you can also use other high smoke point oils such as canola, peanut, or sunflower oil. Just make sure to heat the oil to the appropriate temperature before frying.

4. How long should I fry the chicken for?

The cooking time for fried chicken can vary depending on the size and type of chicken pieces. A general rule of thumb is to fry chicken for about 10-12 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.

5. Can I make fried chicken in an air fryer?

Yes, you can make fried chicken in an air fryer. However, the texture and taste may be slightly different than traditional fried chicken. It is recommended to follow a specific recipe for air fryer fried chicken to ensure the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefhutch04
  • heat123
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies