• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Finally Did It! Spice Samples...

I've just been using a glue stick. It's just as easy and looks just as good!No, I love your idea of the label. It's nice and easy for me! I don't have time to do anything too constructive!
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Okay, so for a couple years, Since finding the idea on CS, I've been wanting to add seasoning samples to my gift bowl for people to choose from at shows. This morning, I finally got it done!

I bought little zip top jewelry baggies from Hobby Lobby - 100 for $1.99, and just made labels to go on them.

I used some seasonings that I had extras of here, and just put a couple tips for using them on the labels.
For me, this is a very inexpensive gift, but also one that I think people would like to choose! I love the "try it before you buy it" concept for myself, so I'm hoping guests at shows will like this option also.

Attachments

• Label - Greek Rub.doc
    43 KB · Views: 765
  • Label - Sundried Tomato.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 526
  • Label - Sweet Mocha.doc
    39 KB · Views: 528
ChefBeckyD said:
Okay, so for a couple years, Since finding the idea on CS, I've been wanting to add seasoning samples to my gift bowl for people to choose from at shows. This morning, I finally got it done!

I bought little zip top jewelry baggies from Hobby Lobby - 100 for $1.99, and just made labels to go on them.

I used some seasonings that I had extras of here, and just put a couple tips for using them on the labels.
For me, this is a very inexpensive gift, but also one that I think people would like to choose! I love the "try it before you buy it" concept for myself, so I'm hoping guests at shows will like this option also.

WOW!!! How kewl are those!!!! :chef:

Very cool idea Becky! Love the labels.... If I weren't trying to quit I'd definitely do this for my prize basket! Seems pointless for 3 more shows though.... Let us know how it works out!

Are you just printing them on sticky labels or stapling a card on top?

I'm just putting a label on them - there's no need to staple, because I got the self-closing baggies. (ziploc style) Easier for me!

They are 2"x3", and 2 Tbls. fits in them perfectly.

I measured it out, and got 4 samples of the Greek Rub from one bottle, 8 sample bags of the Sundried Tomato, and not sure how many you'd get from the Sprinkles. I had an open bottle, and was too lazy to go back downstairs for a closed one, so I only got 6 from my open bottle. :eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm just putting a label on them - there's no need to staple, because I got the self-closing baggies. (ziploc style) Easier for me!

They are 2"x3", and 2 Tbls. fits in them perfectly.

I measured it out, and got 4 samples of the Greek Rub from one bottle, 8 sample bags of the Sundried Tomato, and not sure how many you'd get from the Sprinkles. I had an open bottle, and was too lazy to go back downstairs for a closed one, so I only got 6 from my open bottle. :eek:

I was going to do this because I had a scrapbooking lady ask about adding to their goodie bags. I thought this was a perfect idea. I have the ziploc baggies just couldn't figure out if I wanted to do a folded label stapled on top or just a sticky label.

I hadn't thought of this. I've started including recipe cards in mine, and that's been a big hit. I think I'll work on adding some of these. Thanks, Becky.

wadesgirl said:
I was going to do this because I had a scrapbooking lady ask about adding to their goodie bags. I thought this was a perfect idea. I have the ziploc baggies just couldn't figure out if I wanted to do a folded label stapled on top or just a sticky label.

I've seen pictures of them done with folded labels - and the labels were stamped and pretty. But I know me - and if I waited to do it that way, I'd never do it. Gheesh, I still have DS's baby pictures in boxes under the bed...no way would I make time to make pretty labels.:rolleyes::blushing:

But if you do that, I'd love to see pictures!

ChefBeckyD said:
I've seen pictures of them done with folded labels - and the labels were stamped and pretty. But I know me - and if I waited to do it that way, I'd never do it. Gheesh, I still have DS's baby pictures in boxes under the bed...no way would I make time to make pretty labels.:rolleyes::blushing:

But if you do that, I'd love to see pictures!

No, I love your idea of the label. It's nice and easy for me! I don't have time to do anything too constructive!

I used to some stamping, but since getting a color printer and good desktop publication software, I do most everything on the computer. You could easily print off the type of label that would staple to the top of the bags. The stickers would still be easier, though.

raebates said:
I used to some stamping, but since getting a color printer and good desktop publication software, I do most everything on the computer. You could easily print off the type of label that would staple to the top of the bags. The stickers would still be easier, though.

see I would do that if I had my graphics software at home!

I so want to see these........when I click on them to open I get...........
Error! Bookmark not defined.Error! Bookmark not defined.Error! Bookmark not defined.
Error! Bookmark not defined.Error! Bookmark not defined.Error! Bookmark not defined.

Any suggestions??

Lisa

PS,
If I'm picturing in my head right, this sounds very similar to what Rita G. does (Grandma Rita), other than she does with co-ordinating card stock.

Just as an FYI - you may or may not be concerned with this - but those ziploc baggies that are used for crafts are not "food-safe" grade... they make a different kind of polypropylene or polyethlene for food-grade storage. You can see them at ClearBags - Promote, Protect and Preserve labeled as such.

Awhile back I had designed a "matchbook cover" type of seasoning packet holder for samples... I guess I could add that back to my list of design to-do's to update...

PampChefJoy said:
Just as an FYI - you may or may not be concerned with this - but those ziploc baggies that are used for crafts are not "food-safe" grade... they make a different kind of polypropylene or polyethlene for food-grade storage. You can see them at ClearBags - Promote, Protect and Preserve labeled as such.

Awhile back I had designed a "matchbook cover" type of seasoning packet holder for samples... I guess I could add that back to my list of design to-do's to update...

Where have you been? I've been looking all over for food grade storage bags forever. I was about finally ready to give up and use the ones I had at home :eek:

PampChefJoy said:

I was wondering about that too plus does the guest/customer think that this is okay because of the handling of the spice ? ? ?

Just wondering

:chef:

Lisa/ChefBear said:
I so want to see these........when I click on them to open I get...........

Any suggestions??

Lisa

PS,
If I'm picturing in my head right, this sounds very similar to what Rita G. does (Grandma Rita), other than she does with co-ordinating card stock.

I just opened them without a problem

None of the food bags on that site are small enough for samples.

I guess I'll just go with what I have for now, and be on the look-out for something different.

They sure do look nice in my Gift Bowl!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
None of the food bags on that site are small enough for samples.

I guess I'll just go with what I have for now, and be on the look-out for something different.

They sure do look nice in my Gift Bowl!:D

Ummmmmmmm.........picture please!!! ;)

Ginger428 said:
Ummmmmmmm.........picture please!!! ;)

I don't have a way to post them here without going someplace to burn them to a CD. I need a special thingy (can't remember the name) to transfer them from the camera to my MAC, and I keep forgetting to buy it...

whiteyteresa said:
I just opened them without a problem

I can't open them either. I get the same thing about the bookmark.

Just tried to open again and got same message, so must be I'm not to see them, ugh.

Lisa

these labels are great! I know a snack size bag would be kinda big, but maybe seal it and triple fold and then put the label on or tie a ribbon around it w/the label attached to the back of your business card....

Lisa, it's possible that Becky has a later version of Word than you do. That could be the problem.

Great Idea!

So, did the guests who chose these sample buy more? How did it work out? Are you still offering these in your basket?

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Great Idea!

So, did the guests who chose these sample buy more? How did it work out? Are you still offering these in your basket?

I'll let you know after I've used it a little more. Last night was my first night with them in the bowl.

One lady who won picked the Sweet Mocha Sprinkles....

ChefBeckyD said:

Fabulous ideas!! I will be using these.

I got them to open. Could they be saved in Microsoft 07 and you all have 03?

I do have an older version of Word, that's probably the problem then.

Lisa

I am such a dork Becky! Last night, I swore I saw the date as originating in May! Sorry.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I am such a dork Becky! Last night, I swore I saw the date as originating in May! Sorry.

LOL - that's better than asking a question on a post that's 3 years old! :D (been there!)

Lisa - I have a Mac Computer, and I use Open Office for all of my documents. These are in a Word 97/2000/XP compatible format. I'm not sure why you can't open them!

I made labels on address labels (30 to a page) with some ideas on how to use the samples, and my contact info for reordering...very simple labels.

Great idea, I will try it. I love the idea of try before buying as well. I know it would work for me.

Love it! Thanks for a great idea!!

This is a great idea and I am going to "borrow" it as well. When I was flying home, someone gave me the idea to actually put a label on the seasoning bottle that simply says "To re-order, contact Diana Martin at 555-5555 or order directly through my website at Welcome To My Personal Web Site.

Love the idea that the reorder info is right on the bottle. The person I talked to works with her host to have them place a sticker on each bottle before she delivers the orders. Just antoher thought!

Diana, can you take your PWS address out of your post? It creates a link, and that's against policy. If you want to indicate what it is so that others here can see it, just use "../address" And for anyone reading this, if you have your PWS address in your profile here, that also creates a link. Please remove it. HO has people who check out these boards.

I'm very excited, Becky. I have my samples ready for my Wednesday and Thursday shows. I picked up small, food-safe bags at Hobby Lobby (50 for $1.99). I put 2 T of the mix in a bag, double-folded the top, and sealed it with a round sticker. I have oodles of those on hand. Then, I put a label similar to the ones you did on the front--name of spice/rub, quick recipe or instructions for use, and contact info. They look great. Here's what I kept thinking about while I was putting them together. I picked the bags up as I was on my way to see my parents. (They're up visiting from FL.) When Dad asked what I'd been doing on the way, I mentioned buying the bags and why. Mom said she knew what I should use. (I knew exactly where she was headed with this, but managed not to roll my eyes.) She went into the kitchen and brought back the little zippered bags she uses for Dad's pills. She said that they have zippers and they should be safe since they're made for medicines. I explained that I didn't want bags that had things printed on them. She just couldn't understand why I didn't think it was a perfect idea. People, the bags have "EZ Dose" printed in large, white letters on them. I finally told her I didn't want people thinking about medicines while they were choosing something from my door prize bowl.She's right, they are the perfect size, but I just don't think they project the fun-yet-professional image I'm trying to cultivate.

raebates said:
I'm very excited, Becky. I have my samples ready for my Wednesday and Thursday shows.

I picked up small, food-safe bags at Hobby Lobby (50 for $1.99). I put 2 T of the mix in a bag, double-folded the top, and sealed it with a round sticker. I have oodles of those on hand. Then, I put a label similar to the ones you did on the front--name of spice/rub, quick recipe or instructions for use, and contact info. They look great.

Here's what I kept thinking about while I was putting them together. I picked the bags up as I was on my way to see my parents. (They're up visiting from FL.) When Dad asked what I'd been doing on the way, I mentioned buying the bags and why. Mom said she knew what I should use. (I knew exactly where she was headed with this, but managed not to roll my eyes.) She went into the kitchen and brought back the little zippered bags she uses for Dad's pills. She said that they have zippers and they should be safe since they're made for medicines.

I explained that I didn't want bags that had things printed on them. She just couldn't understand why I didn't think it was a perfect idea. People, the bags have "EZ Dose" printed in large, white letters on them. I finally told her I didn't want people thinking about medicines while they were choosing something from my door prize bowl.

She's right, they are the perfect size, but I just don't think they project the fun-yet-professional image I'm trying to cultivate.

YEA for you Rae! I thought mine looked really cute when they were done too.

But that is hilarious about your Mom! She probably still didn't get it, even after you explained, did she? (nothing against your mom, I just know how it would go if it had been me having that same conversation w/ mine....:D)

THis is a great idea! I was brainstorming last night about how to change up *and shorten* my show format and get guest more involved - and we ALL know I can't talk and demo at the same time. My insurance company might drop me!But part of my idea involved a couple of drawings throughout my show to keep them working for it and to help break the ice/start on time :D This would be an inexpensive way to add to my prize box!

You're right, Becky. She never did understand.

raebates said:
I'm very excited, Becky. I have my samples ready for my Wednesday and Thursday shows.

I picked up small, food-safe bags at Hobby Lobby (50 for $1.99). I put 2 T of the mix in a bag, double-folded the top, and sealed it with a round sticker. I have oodles of those on hand. Then, I put a label similar to the ones you did on the front--name of spice/rub, quick recipe or instructions for use, and contact info. They look great.

Here's what I kept thinking about while I was putting them together. I picked the bags up as I was on my way to see my parents. (They're up visiting from FL.) When Dad asked what I'd been doing on the way, I mentioned buying the bags and why. Mom said she knew what I should use. (I knew exactly where she was headed with this, but managed not to roll my eyes.) She went into the kitchen and brought back the little zippered bags she uses for Dad's pills. She said that they have zippers and they should be safe since they're made for medicines.

I explained that I didn't want bags that had things printed on them. She just couldn't understand why I didn't think it was a perfect idea. People, the bags have "EZ Dose" printed in large, white letters on them. I finally told her I didn't want people thinking about medicines while they were choosing something from my door prize bowl.

She's right, they are the perfect size, but I just don't think they project the fun-yet-professional image I'm trying to cultivate.

Where did you find the food safe bags at Hobby Lobby? All I can find is the jewelry bags.

Michael's carries the food safe bags. I don't have a HL close to me so I went to AC Moore and Michaels and Michael's had them cheaper.

HTH,

Lisa

wadesgirl said:
Where did you find the food safe bags at Hobby Lobby? All I can find is the jewelry bags.

They were in the treats and candies section. They're 3" x 4" and have no zipper.

I have my first 2 shows next week - and I love this idea!! Does anyone have a picture of the bags they made up? My first show's host next week mentioned that she loved free stuff and did I do any prizes. This is great for me just starting out - I already have a few spices on hand. Please share if you have pictures! :)

Bumping for pictures please.
Deb

Just an FYI to everyone Michaels and Hobby Lobby both put out coupons for 40% off one regular price item. So if you use this to buy the bags you can get these even cheaper! They put they out quite often and I know with Hobby Lobby if you sign up with them on email they will email you coupons too. I just love a good deal! Thanks for the great idea I will be trying it too!

:thumbup: Bumping for pictures please.

Sorry - I don't have pictures.

would a security filter interfere? try turning off the security software for 5 minutes.

Thanks for bumping this up today! Got to make my samples!

Judybabe said:
would a security filter interfere? try turning off the security software for 5 minutes.

No - it's not going to interfere. I DON'T have pictures.

I've never purchased the card I need to load pictures onto my Mac. And I'm not making a trip to Costco to put them on a CD so that I can load them. :)

So - I don't have pictures.

I used a larger label to put on the bags & it still fit great. I know there's more cost involved with these labels, but my guests were so happy to see a recipe idea & tips on using it on the sample.

This document has Sweet Caramel Sprinkles, Chipotle Rub, BBQ Rub & Parm Garlic Seasoning. I wanted a variety. :D

Attachments

• SeasoningLabels.doc
    34 KB · Views: 510
Ok, you probably said this..but how much do you put in each baggie? About 2 T? I have to do an event with about 300 kids in January and need to come up with goodie bag items and I thought the sweet carmel sprinkle and a safe cutter would work. Or a citrus peeler.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Bobby
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
cspanich
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • colegrovet
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies