• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Tips for Getting Help with Cooking During a Show: Advice and Solutions

In summary, the author recommends hosting an interactive show with host coaching from the start. They suggest that when guests arrive, they wash their hands and then proceed with the show. They also suggest having a piece of paper with steps printed for guests to follow. Guests are allowed to pass the steps on if they do not want to participate. The author also suggests using tools if guests are reluctant to help.
Jaime Conner
I need some advise on how to get people to help cook during a show. :confused: I had a show last night (and every show I have had so far) I can't get anyone to help cook!! Its usually just one person that helps the whole time. And when I'm done explaining things I get a million questions about items i just talked about! It is frustrating! Any advise would help!!!

Me too! Me too! Advice would be great. I've tried several times to do hands on shows and every time I have one or two people that say - I cook at home, that's not why I cam here and simply refuse to help and it keeps others from doing anything too. How do I word it so that those people don't say anything and either simply sit back and relax or go ahead and join in?

Doing interactive shows all starts with host coaching. You have to talk to your host about it from the start and tell her to take all chairs out of the room. When guests arrive I ask them to wash their hands cuz we're going to play and all get to help and then we'll have the rest of the night to eat, talk, and shop. I always ask my host if she wants the new interactive format or the classic PC party. Some still choose the classic and that's okay with me.

Have you watched the interactive shows video?

I play it by ear depending on how the crowd is. If they are really not interested in participating, I won't push it. But what I do sometimes is bring a roll of raffle tickets. I tell them that they get a ticket each time they help out and at the end I'll draw numbers for prizes. When I've done this people have helped out.

I do what Deb does...however, IF they are reluctant to volunteer (happens, but rarely), I'll have the tools in a SS bowl...pass it around and ask each one to take a tool. When that tool is needed, I asked them to come up and help me out! (They will get 5 tickets for the drawing if they help too)

One thing that helps me is I have them wear name tags and I call on them to help. I make sure to also explain the benefit of a hands - on show. I tell them that touching and personally using the products they will be able to see why I love the products so much. And, they will better understand how the product will be of use in their kitchen.

I break the show into steps and have them printed on pieces of paper...Each guest draws a slip of paper and we do the recipe step by step...Its easier and no pressure if a guest doesnt want to participate they can pass their step on to someone else...

I have a hard time with the interactive shows too. I've actually gone back to the traditional show and am enjoying myself much more. I found I lost control of the crowd!

Guess I'm not much help, hey? :rolleyes: :p

What i do is this. When i do cooking shows i have 2 different places for the show ( like on the cookinf inaction video) one for the cooking and the other for sitting it gets there attention rather than sitting down at first. it works alot. the 2end room i have chairs and than i show more stuff and they get to sit and look at catalog.

I agree that it starts with the host coaching. I talk about it in general terms as we plan the show. When I arrive before the show I get into more detail about how it will work.

Typically I get the host to do the first step. Then she gets to pick the next participant (if no one volunteers) & read the directions to that person. person 2 picks #3, etc. It's lots of fun & people ALWAYS step up when asked.

I almost feel like I am breaking a rule or something but - SO WHAT? If I end up doing the cooking while everyone sits around and sells each other stuff, who cares? I am there to sell. If no one wants to cook, so be it. I am certainly not going to loose sleep over it. Actually I find my best sales rates came when I stopped pushing. All I do now is thank everyone for coming, thank the host, talk about the host benefits, booking and opportunity. I tell everyone what we are having and simply ask for help. If no one, does, I do it. I would rather they sell each other products than push cooking! The bottom line isn't how well they can cook your recipes but rather how much
they write that check out for.

I have placed the tools I am going to use in a box or on their seat (if the host has set up chairs)... then ask each guest to pick a tool out of the box not telling them why... then explain that they tool they have is part of the recipe and that they will be helping me use it to make the chosen recipe... most of them love it and are willing... I have some that are completely scared and I have them monitor the timer so the demo doesnt go over 45 min...
hope it works out for you... Food Luck

well said pampered1224 - I'm the same way LOL!

I do not have to worry about time, I talk 15 to 30 minutes depending on whether I ask about favorite products. That all! The rest is their time. If I go into it thinking I am cooking, all the better then and easier fro me too if someone helps. I had two volunteers at my Saturday party. (Yes, we only had 8 but...) If I had done it all it would have taken me 20 minutes tops. I had help. It took all three of us, 10 minutes. Two of us did one while one did the other. Oh and while that was happening, the host sold over $100 worth of stuff to one person, $60 to another and well, you get the drift. One guest sold the host on the food chopper. So it works for me! That party closed out at over $700. Yes, we had about $300 in outside orders but that means $400 plus for 6 muying guests. I arrived at 5:30, party time was 6:30 I left at 9:00.

Thanks you guys! Great advise! I just feel like if I do all the cooking then I must not be doing something right. But I guess if I have sales at the end of the night it doesn't matter!

I have always done interactive shows (even before "we" started it). I am one of those people that believes you have to handle it to want it. I start my show warning everyone that they could be called on to help. I also warn that their friends are allowed to throw them under the bus. It usually gets laughs, breaks the ice and gives everyone permission to be embarassed getting call on to help. I rarely have anyone not end up helping or saying no to helping. I don't get everyone each time but I get quite a few so no one feels picked on or out of place.

I loved reading John's perspective. So matter of fact. Do whatever works for you. As
long as you have fun, and are satisfied with the sales totals, you really don't need to worry about changing. However, change sometimes takes three times out to become comfortable. From the time I started in May, 2005, I have encouraged folks to participate. I don't try to have everyone helping at the same time but as they arrive or
are willing. I notice that they generally buy whatever item they have held and used. I
believe that is the whole point in this approach, don't you all?

That is it EXACTLY grandmarita! Do what works for you. If you find you have trouble getting help, then work around it. If people do help, tell them about the tool they are using and yes, they usually will buy one if they don't already have it. I work full time. I HAVE to stress all day long about what I am doing, when I need to do it and what to do with the out come. I sure as heck do not need that outside my regular job. So I decided I do three types of parties. (NOT shows folks those are BORING!) And I decide after I introduce myself! Not before hand. 1) Full fledged demo - with help which I have not done one of these for three years!
2) Here is what we are making and I sure could use some help! WHo would like to make an elegant, (insert type here - dessert, meal, appetizer) in under (so many minutes) minutes! Then use it when I get it. 3) The lets' not help the consultant - he won't care. And they would be right. I don't! Give me sales - I will be very happy! The minute I have to stress about doing Pampered Chef is the day I WILL QUIT!

What are some simple recipes for beginners?

The Pampered Chef website has a variety of simple and easy recipes for beginners. Some popular options include our Classic Lasagna, Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas, and One-Pot Chicken Alfredo.

How can I learn more about using Pampered Chef products?

We offer virtual and in-person cooking classes and demonstrations to teach you how to use our products effectively. You can also check out our YouTube channel for helpful videos and tips.

Do you have any gluten-free or vegan recipes?

Yes, we have a wide range of recipes that cater to different dietary restrictions, including gluten-free and vegan options. You can search for these specific recipes on our website or contact our customer service for assistance.

Are Pampered Chef products dishwasher safe?

Most of our products are dishwasher safe, but we always recommend checking the care and use instructions for each specific item. Some products may require hand washing for optimal longevity.

Do you offer any discounts or promotions for Pampered Chef products?

We often have special promotions and discounts available for our customers. You can check our website or sign up for our newsletter to stay updated on any current deals or sales.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• n_coleman101
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
cactus_flower
  • kailyon
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
kailyon
  • 1PamperedMommy