• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Excited for Snow Day: A Rare Occurrence in Our Snow Community

In summary, Amanda is living in a small town in Northern California and is waiting to see if the school will be cancelled because of the snow.
pamperedalf
Silver Member
Okay this is a big deal to me. We hardly get any snow here, & if it does snow it's gone w/in 1 day at the most! There are huge flakes falling, I am waiting to see if they are going to cancel school. It's starting to stick to the roads & because we are not a snow community they close at the first sign of slush!!

My son is so excited, I would love to stay home & watch the snow w/ him.

Alright gonna get ready for work, so I am not late. I am sure their won't be many kids today!!

How fun!

Make sure you take that little one out there to play in it! My son LOVES to play in the snow!

Amanda, what part of NO. CA are you in? I am ORIGINALLY from Marin County. I lived in Novato and San Rafael as a child and moved to Sac. I still have all my family in that area (Sebastopol, Napa, Rhonert Park, Santa Rosa, etc). I sure do miss it around the Bay.

Ah, Marin County - a siren that calls to me. I *love* Novato!Like I could afford to live there.

LOL...My dream is to go and find the little house (little in Marin County terms , 3500 sq ft) my Garndad built for my Grandmamma, and buy it to live in it as my retirement home (although over 1/2 the homes out there I think were built by my Grandad...lol). But I better marry rich quick before that happens!! I guess I should inform my DH of my future plans...

Every year we spend a week at my Great Aunts home in a quaint little town called Sausalito. I look forward to it every year. I remember when NO ONE lived there and it really was a quaint quiet little seaside town. Not anymore!! :p

I remember when Autodesk was just in a little office building next door to the Corp of Engineers model of the Bay. My rep took me to lunch at a little place on a deck over the bay where you had to fight the seagulls for your own lunch. There was a little bakery/coffee shop right on the main drag, and it was, truely, a quaint little seaside town.Of course, there was no lodging in Sausalito, so we used to stay at a Best Western in Novato or a Marriott on that little peninsula, across from the Marin Brewing Company and the ferry dock. At the Best Western one night, some of us were sitting in the lobby and we knew the pool area was closed for a private party. We heard lots of voices, we heard people walking by but saw no one, and the pool area obviously had lots of activity but we couldn't see anyone!Upon further investigation, we saw the entire pool area was full of people - LITTLE PEOPLE! They had just finished shooting of the Endor location scenes for Return of the Jedi up in Muir Woods and the Ewok cast members were having their wrap party! It was a hysterical scene!

Would this be lovely Larkspur? I believe that the Marin Brewing Company sits on Larkspur Landing Cir, in a shopping district where another great place "Holland Coffee" sits. The brewpub makes a mean MT. Tam burger...mmmmm. Bacon, Avocado, Sautéed Onions and Bleu Cheese. Can't beat it!

Larkspur - yes, thank you. I had forgotten that name, I don't know why, since there is a Larkspur Street close to me. There was a shootout scene in the first Dirty Harry movie that was filmed there when that peninsula was a quarry. There is a wooden train trestle seen in the movie that remained after the quarry was demolished and developed. From what I understand from my friends who live there, the bridge was demolished after it was hit by a truck a couple of years ago.I was in Lincoln Park in San Francisco a couple of years ago, and my biggest regret of that trip was that, because of time restraints, I was unable to drive up to Marin to visit my friends.The San Francisco Bay Bridge as seen from the windshield of Sonja:
Im001185.jpg

I live in a small town about an hour & 15 mins north of santa rosa on HWY 101 called Redwood Valley.School was not cancelled, but we could go early. I told the kids to keep their fingers crossed. It's suppose to snow on and off again untill about 3PM today!My students are writing letters to the Principal to go home!

Amanda, are you anywhere near Petaluma? My father and his side of the family is from there, and my cousin operates a LARGE dairy near there.

Amanda, are you anywhere near Petaluma? My father and his side of the family is from there, and my cousin operates a LARGE dairy near there.
I live about 1 hour & 1/2 to 1 hour & 45 mins north of Petaluma depending on traffic. Petaluma is the furthest south I have done shows at. I love our little town. However I do have to drive to santa rosa to go to any stores or a mall. That kinda sucks!

I've been able to pet a goat, pet a yak, and I even pet an elephant.But I've never been able to pet a luma.

KG that's too much!!!:)

WOW Amanda. I think Fresno and Hanford would SHUT down if you sent some my way...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I remember when Autodesk was just in a little office building next door to the Corp of Engineers model of the Bay.

Do share - what did you do in the past in relation to Autodesk? You have peaked the engineer in me's curiousity...

mrssyvo said:

I think that is all that is out in Petaluma...dairies and grain milling and chicken processing plants. Beautiful area though. Home of Clover milk. Is that the LARGE dairy? I LOVE that milk!!

Petaluma is getting pretty big compared to where I live. It is the more rual part of Sonoma county. Now clover milk is the best milk ever. My dh thought I was insane when I said I will only drink clover milk, but now he agrees w/ me. His choc. milk tastes better w/ clover. Now like when we were in Dallas for leadership I complained the whole time about the milk tasting funny & my DH picked on me.I cannot move anywhere where they don't sell clover milk.

Well, on behalf of Cheeseland (America's Dairyland) and our entire bovine population...

:p :p :p :p :p
:p :p :p :p :p

I would have given you more but there's a top end limit.

Right Back at you KG!!!!!!!!!!:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Have you tasted clover milk, you would change your mind I am sure of it. Let me give you a blind taste test!!!

it is tasty...mmmm, like melted vanilla ice cream. However, KG does sit in the heart of Dairy Country, so I am sure that he has a few brands that will rival the clover...;)

pamperedalf said:
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Have you tasted clover milk, you would change your mind I am sure of it. Let me give you a blind taste test!!!
You may have me there. I don't think we have any blind cows here.

The milk here is so good that even the off brands are terriffic!

Well I guess I haven't had the milk there, but I am sticking to my clover. I was happy the last time I was in Reno they had it there!!

I have to agree with KG on this one! My sis, who lives in Fox Pointe, has a milkman (really! in this day and age) and has the best milk. My other sister, who lives in Colorado Springs, also has a milkman, and fantastic milk.

This one?http://www.oberweisdairy.com/web/Graphics/new_milk.jpg

Might be. It's been over a year since I visited her house. I do know it comes in glass.CO sis gets hers in plastic. Her DH forgot to cancel when they went on vacation a couple years ago. They had 4 gallons of solid, spoiled milk on their porch in the delivery box when they got home. Bleah!

Okay I lost, waving my white flag!!!I still like my clover milk!

That's about the last delivery dairy that I know of. Top end - they're actually based in Illinois but have quite an operation up here.We also have two very high end ice cream producers here, along with the usual selection of air-filled grocery store brands. Of course, none of them measure up to frozen custard but Cedar Crest makes realllllllly good ice cream. http://www.cedarcresticecream.com/image2/hdr.jpg

I would love to taste some, can you pack it in dry ice and send it to California??

If I'm going to do that, it'll be Leon's frozen custard!http://www.cheeseheaduniversity.com/images/Img201.jpg

Mmm....Oberweis!

Several families in my neighborhood get it delivered. It is darn good, but $$$$$.

1. Why is snow such a rare occurrence in our snow community?

The climate and geography of our area make it less likely for us to receive snowfall. We may not be located in a region that typically experiences heavy snowfall, or our location may not be conducive to snow accumulation.

2. How long does snow typically last in our area?

Snowfall in our community is often short-lived, usually melting within a day or less. This is due to a combination of factors such as warmer temperatures, lack of snow removal equipment, and limited resources for handling snowfall.

3. What are the conditions that would cause school to be cancelled for a snow day?

Schools in our area may close due to safety concerns caused by heavy snow, ice, or other inclement weather. This is to ensure the well-being of students and staff who may have difficulty traveling in hazardous conditions.

4. How does our community handle snow compared to other snow-prone areas?

Since snow is not a regular occurrence in our community, we may not have the same level of preparation and resources for handling it as other areas. This can result in closures and delays at the first sign of snow, even if it may seem minor to those living in areas with more frequent snowfall.

5. Why is my child so excited for a snow day?

For children, snow days are a rare and exciting occurrence. It means they get a break from school and can spend the day playing in the snow. It's a fun and memorable experience for kids, especially in areas where snow is not a common sight.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedalf
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedalf
Replies
Views
PamperChefCarol
  • MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies