• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Snow Day Surprises: New Alert System & Grandkid Disappointment

me at 3 something this morning. Lucky for me, I don't have to go anywhere today. DH arrived safely at work. He had me call his mother (she's 84) and tell her to stay away from the snow shovel. This stuff is heavy. Where's Jean? The "weather map of DOOM" is in full swing. Nice little present for the kids and teachers. Christmas break starts early this year. What's snow??? LOL We rarely get snow here, the occasional freezing rain, but since I've been here in NC (7 years) it's only snowed good a couple of times. Now growing up in WV I got more
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
We have a Snow Day today! I'm okay with that - except that apparently, we have a new alert system when school is canceled here in our school district. At 10 minutes to 5am this morning, the phone rang. I always think the worst when the phone rings that early in the morning - but it was just a recorded message from the superintendent of schools, letting me know that school was closed today. :grumpy:
Then, of course, the adreneline is rushing through me, and sleep is over. So, I've put the extra leaves in the table, stirred up a batch of pumpkin bread and have it in the oven, made DH breakfast, and packed his lunch, and have a load of laundry going. I'll be ready for a nap by Noon.

Today is a good day to help DS decorate cookies, and dip pretzels. He is going to be disappointed, because he had a Christmas Open House today at school, and had invited Grandpa & Grandma. He was looking forward to it....so I have to do something to alleviate some of the disappointment!

You sure are energetic today! As you are decorating cookies and folding laundry, perhaps you can have your DS sing or whatever his performance is on the phone or via camcorder on the computer to grandma and grandpa! LOL.I'm in central NY, south of Syracuse, and we are getting that storm this a.m. All schools are closed or closing early in anticipation. How many inches do you have? Did it stop??

I miss snow days!

gailz2 said:
You sure are energetic today! As you are decorating cookies and folding laundry, perhaps you can have your DS sing or whatever his performance is on the phone or via camcorder on the computer to grandma and grandpa! LOL.

I'm in central NY, south of Syracuse, and we are getting that storm this a.m. All schools are closed or closing early in anticipation. How many inches do you have? Did it stop??

It started here at about 3am - and we've been getting about 2 inches per hour. It's supposed to continue like this until about 2pm this afternoon, and then taper off - although the Winter Storm Warning is until 7pm this evening. Then it's supposed to clear up for tomorrow and have a repeat performance on Sunday!

I just looked outside, and it's like a blizzard - snow is blowing and swirling all over. Wind Chill is 6 degrees. BRrrrr!

You guys are getting what leaving us right now. But we got the fun freezing rain, sleet and snow! Further up north of us, they got 10" of snow.

wadesgirl said:
You guys are getting what leaving us right now. But we got the fun freezing rain, sleet and snow! Further up north of us, they got 10" of snow.

That is happening just south of here!

Woo hoo, snow day for us too! The only bummer is that the kids will miss the holiday parties that were supposed to be today.:( And of course I was going to use the time while they were at school to run some last minute errands for stuff this weekend. Oh well, we're all home and DH isn't going into work.:D

Oh man, I would be mad if the phone rang at 5am!
We have icy-slick roads, but still have school...oh well, the kids would have been bummed if they'd have missed their class parties.

What's snow??? LOL We rarely get snow here, the occasional freezing rain, but since I've been here in NC (7 years) it's only snowed good a couple of times. Now growing up in WV I got more than my share, so you all have at it!!!! Have a fun day with your DS!!

ChefBeckyD said:
That is happening just south of here!

Yes it is!

The sound of giant sleet hitting the window woke me at 3 something this morning. Lucky for me, I don't have to go anywhere today. DH arrived safely at work. He had me call his mother (she's 84) and tell her to stay away from the snow shovel. This stuff is heavy.

Where's Jean? The "weather map of DOOM" is in full swing. Nice little present for the kids and teachers. Christmas break starts early this year.

chefshawna said:
What's snow???

Ask 'em in Malibu, Las Vegas and New Orleans.

Global warming, my a$$.

Our snow is supposed to start in 1 or 2 hours and we are due to get 10-15 inches today. Most schools are closed, some are closing early so they can get state aid by having it be a school day initially.

chefjeanine said:
Yes it is!

The sound of giant sleet hitting the window woke me at 3 something this morning. Lucky for me, I don't have to go anywhere today. DH arrived safely at work. He had me call his mother (she's 84) and tell her to stay away from the snow shovel. This stuff is heavy.

Where's Jean? The "weather map of DOOM" is in full swing. Nice little present for the kids and teachers. Christmas break starts early this year.

LOL - I thought of that this morning too! The bottom third of the television screen is filled w/ weather info....Ohhh, Jeeaaannn.....

It has not started yet but some are the schools are having early dismissal??:rolleyes:

snow day here too....there's not too much on the ground now, but it's supposed to be a mess today with sleet and snow. DS had his class party yesterday (and won the class spelling bee) so he's happy to have an extra day of winter vaca. we postponed a meeting and holiday lunch with a client so all I have to do is walk the dogs a few times :)

Our school board is VERY overzealous when it comes to issuing a snow day. If there is a HINT of snow, or a single snowflake falling, then they'll cancel snow. Heck, we've had school cancelled for rain. It's crazy how often our kids get out of school for inclement weather, even when it's not deserved.

chefjeanine said:
Yes it is!

DH just said the same thing. He shoveled out a path to our cars and said a 1/4 shovel-full weighs about 20 pounds. Our bushes are laden down with ice/snow.

Obviously it's a snow day here, too.

Doncha love the television weather guys? It happens every Winter - and often.
freezing.gif

Repent! Repent! The White Death is Coming! (Feb 2007)

Repent! Repent! The White Death is Coming! - The Sequel(Feb 2008)

Nothing up here...just cold...well not too bad today.Yesterday was -15, today +15, that's a 30 degree heat wave!

letscook04 said:
It has not started yet but some are the schools are having early dismissal??:rolleyes:

It is coming your way. It hit us south of Syracuse at 10 a.m., you're next.

All we are getting so far is Rain and Ice! I think I'd rather have the snow at this point. If all this rain and standing water turns to ice we are in trouble!

I've got about 8" on the driveway. Got about 1/3 of it cleared and am taking a break before I head back out. Bleah.

No snow here--just ice and freezing rain. We have about 3/8 inch of ice covering everything. Power was out from 5:30 a.m. to 12:35. The temp is rising, though, so everything's beginning to melt off.

We have a snow day too booked 2 shows today now 9 for Jan 2 for Feb .
I don't like the snow at all I wish we had summer all year The snow is comming snow so YUK

chefjeanine said:
Yes it is!

I slept through it, since I'm on leave due to my surgery. Although i do have to go out later today, and I'm wondering how that's gonna work since I can't shovel and my sister is working. The neighbor had all he could do to shove the snow through his snowblower this morning.

A few weeks ago, some enterprising gentleman from a few miles up the main road rode the bus down to our neighborhood and was shoveling people's driveways to earn money. If I knew where that guy lived, I'd go drag him out of bed and haul him down to my house :)

The map of doom is really irritating me. Someone needs to tell Channel 8 here that indeed, the sky is not falling, and it's been snowing since the dawn of time.

Jean DeVries said:
I slept through it, since I'm on leave due to my surgery. Although i do have to go out later today, and I'm wondering how that's gonna work since I can't shovel and my sister is working. The neighbor had all he could do to shove the snow through his snowblower this morning.

A few weeks ago, some enterprising gentleman from a few miles up the main road rode the bus down to our neighborhood and was shoveling people's driveways to earn money. If I knew where that guy lived, I'd go drag him out of bed and haul him down to my house :)

The map of doom is really irritating me. Someone needs to tell Channel 8 here that indeed, the sky is not falling, and it's been snowing since the dawn of time.

And, that we've pretty much figured out that school is closed for today.:rolleyes:

They make me laugh - every weather report is urgent...and on the scene!

Bonnie Hunt did a really cute segment the other day. There was some heavy rain in LA. She had clips from the local weather reports. You would have thought the sky was falling. So she has one of her people, Storm Doppler if I remember correctly, go outside and do periodic updates. He used that voice of doom weather people adopt to let you know how serious the situation is. He even showed the small puddles as though it was major flooding. Hysterical, and spot on.

I am loving this snow day!!!!

I made marinara sauce and rum balls for Christmas gifts. Dinner is chicken with mushroons, onions and artichokes over pasta (with the marinara, of course!) Tried something with the crescent rolls: unrolled them into a sheet, brushed that with a mix of butter and our basil canola oil. Sprinkled with the Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese. Will bake and see how those work out.

I am soooooo hungry!

1. What is the new alert system for Snow Day Surprises?

The new alert system for Snow Day Surprises is a feature that allows you to receive notifications on your phone or email when there is a snow day in your area. This helps you plan ahead for any possible changes in your schedule and make the most of your day at home.

2. How does the alert system work?

The alert system uses your location to determine if there is a snow day in your area. Once a snow day is announced, you will receive a notification on your phone or email. You can also customize your settings to receive alerts for specific locations or days.

3. Can I turn off the alert system?

Yes, you can turn off the alert system at any time by adjusting your settings. You can also choose to only receive alerts for certain days or locations.

4. What happens if my grandkids are disappointed with the snow day?

We understand that not everyone may be thrilled with a snow day, especially if it means cancelled plans or activities. That's why we have included fun and creative ideas for grandparents to surprise and entertain their grandkids on snow days. From baking cookies to making snowmen, there are plenty of ways to turn a disappointment into an opportunity for bonding and fun.

5. Can I still order Pampered Chef products on a snow day?

Yes, you can still place orders for Pampered Chef products on a snow day. Our website is always open for orders and our customer service team is available to assist you with any questions or concerns. However, please note that shipping may be delayed due to weather conditions in your area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• candiejayne
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • tlag1986
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Flamingo
  • The_Kitchen_Guy