• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Consultants Have a Code of Ethics?

That being said, I have a glass of water at my shows and I rarely (two or three times in 5 years?) have anything to eat. I'm working.I always take my lead from the host. If she is serving wine or margaritas and offers it to me, I may or may not have one glass. Usually I just have water or a soda. I almost always try out the food. I wait until everyone else has theirs and when I have a lull or am finished with orders. I do this for two reasons: 1) I want to make sure my recipe came out right(especially if I've never made it before) and 2) I ALWAYS compliment my host about
mrssyvo
Here is the story. My brother and his girlfriend came over for dinner last night,and it was the first time meeting her and of course, 5 minutes in the door and we are talking about The Pampered Chef. She tells me this story of the last time she went to a PC show, it was at her friend's house, and her friend met this consultant at a trade show/fair thing. Anyway, during the show, the CONSULTANT got DRUNK !!!!! Spilled wine all over the hostesses new carpet, and it got so bad that the guests were concerned about the consultant driving home. I think back at some of my shows, and once in awhile the hostess will serve wine. I could NEVER imagine taking part, much less getting drunk!!!! Isn't there a code of ethics violation here somewhere???? She said she was so mad, she did not even place an order. Well, of course I turned it around to WHEN she has her show with me, be sure that will not happen!!!

Wow, can you imagine what her demo was like?:eek: I don't drink at all; I can't imagine doing this at a show. You know her customer base will drop drastically if she does this often.

There have been many a show where I wanted to chug something. I think its up to the consultant to know his or her limit. While I don't see anything wrong with enjoying a glass with the guests, a little can go a long way.

AJPratt said:
There have been many a show where I wanted to chug something.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking! ;) That being said, I have a glass of water at my shows and I rarely (two or three times in 5 years?) have anything to eat. I'm working.

I always take my lead from the host. If she is serving wine or margaritas and offers it to me, I may or may not have one glass. Usually I just have water or a soda. I almost always try out the food. I wait until everyone else has theirs and when I have a lull or am finished with orders. I do this for two reasons: 1) I want to make sure my recipe came out right(especially if I've never made it before) and 2) I ALWAYS compliment my host about something that she has made.

I think I am to concerned with collecting orders and making sure I get all me products to drink!

We're adults. I think we can each make a personal decision about our behavior at our shows. That said, it's important to remember that we are running a business and the actions of a single consultant can affect what people think about the company they represent. I had a terrible experience with a consultant for another company ("TW" - you can figure it out), and my husband now wants nothing to do with them. Which is unfortunate, because I do like some of their products.I'm going to post another thread with the story, so as not to hijack this thread.As for me, I usually only have a glass of water or soda at my shows. If it's a group that I know well (have done several shows with them before) and the host is serving "adult beverages," then I'll have a small one. But only one, and then I'll follow it up with a glass of water.

Ann, I'm with you. At the same time, I'm kinda lucky in an obtuse kind of way. My taste buds were screwed up as a side effect of radiation a few years ago and it gives me a perfect excuse to not accept alcohol - I really can't drink it. (I can actually drink most liquor if correctly dilluted, some beers but no white wine at all and only a handful of reds, but my hosts don't need to know that.)You're welcome to use my excuse. ;)

I only drink water while I am doing my demo, and I usually never have a "drink" after. But if I am doing a show for a friend then maybe a glass of wine. Sometimes I will try out the food that is being served by the host but most of the time I just want to get home.

If the host is having wine or alcohal at her party depending on my mood, I will have a half glass of whatever she is serving just to kill the nerves mostly, never enough to get buzzed or drunk EVER! Even if it's a friends show! I only usually eat when it's a friends show and they offer.

chefjeanine said:
Thanks for saying what I was thinking! ;) That being said, I have a glass of water at my shows and I rarely (two or three times in 5 years?) have anything to eat. I'm working.
I don't think I have ever had anything to eat--but like someone else said, it would be a good idea to make sure it turned out ok.

I've eaten and had a glass of wine at a few of my early shows but then they were done with my friends that were just trying to help me out and they would have found it weird if I had not joined them with a glass and some food.

I hardly ever eat what I've made. I don't have time!

I will drink if offered, but usually after the demo is over and most orders have been taken. At my show Friday night, I stayed for about 1 1/2 hours after I was all done and had two beers with the gals b/c they invited me to! One of the guests was my neighbor, so it was all good. :)

I only eat if there is leftover after everyone tries, and that's usually not until I'm done taking orders. I will occassionally have a bite of the "other" food a host puts out when the guests are arriving to fit in and make ppl more comfy.

I drink water during the show. I'll only have a little alcohol after taking orders and only if I know the host already. I wouldn't want to do that with a stranger! And I still wait until I'm offered. Most of my friends offer right away and I tell them I want to wait until after the demo so the food comes out okay! They usually get a laugh from that.

This is a great thread because you can obviously see that that's why this business is great for just about anybody!

I choose to not drink alcohol at shows because I am an extreme lightweight. I'm just like the kitchenGuy~after my thyroid cancer, I can't hold alcohol anymore.:rolleyes: So, if I have one drink, I feel like I won't be on my toes like I should be to be able to cross sell. I've been offered many a times but haven't divulged. I also don't eat but that's because I don't have time. I'm actually glad I don't eat at all my shows b/c it seems that they all want a chocolate show lately and that would just be a BAD situation!;) It can actually look like a bad thing if you don't eat your food though because it looks like you poisoned it or something.:eek: Probably not that drastic but somebody (who has been to ALOT of my shows) mentioned to me that I never eat at the shows and wanted to know what I did to the food!:eek: I just told her that I try and hold 2 shows a week and that I really don't need to be eating brownie pizzas at 8pm twice a week!:cool:

I almost never eat at my shows. I'll usually accept a glass of water, if it's offered. I'm just too busy answering questions and completing orders.

I would have suggested that the young woman contact the home office to report the behavior of the Pampered Chef Consultant. That type of behavior reflects badly on all of us. My director made it very clear to me when I first signed up that when I meet with hosts, guests, or anyone else in my capacity as a Pampered Chef Consultant, I am representing the entire company. I am expected to act with the utmost integrity and professionalism at all times.

raebates said:
I almost never eat at my shows. I'll usually accept a glass of water, if it's offered. I'm just too busy answering questions and completing orders.I would have suggested that the young woman contact the home office to report the behavior of the Pampered Chef Consultant. That type of behavior reflects badly on all of us. My director made it very clear to me when I first signed up that when I meet with hosts, guests, or anyone else in my capacity as a Pampered Chef Consultant, I am representing the entire company. I am expected to act with the utmost integrity and professionalism at all times.
I have a show next month w/ a woman who heard about me through a fundraiser...the only other consultant she knew she refused to have in her home because this consultant had been drunk at the last show she went to (from what I understand - came drunk), and made suggestive & demeaning comments to guests and was just rude (male consultant btw)- in her words "he was a total a**!" I have also had run-in's with him and know for a fact that he can be like she described him, and also is not truthful. BUT because of his position and connections, their complaints(several from that show complained to HO), as well as mine have seemed to go unanswered. It's sad - but I figure eventually it will catch up with him.
In the meantime - This woman has done a very successful catalog show for me - and is now planning a Cooking show - so we are coming out the winners by going forward and not dwelling on the bad experience! She was happy to find a Consultant she could work with, and I was happy to get her business, and also have an opportunity to change her opinion of PC!

It's a shame. My wish is that every PC consultant would conduct themselves with friendly professionalism. However, I have benefitted on more than one occasion from the unprofessional actions of others. I'm glad to take on their hosts and customers, even if it takes a while to remove the "bad taste" left from a previous consultant.

I also figure that eventually enough complaints to HO about any one consultant will make a difference.

1. What is a code of ethics for consultants?

A code of ethics for consultants is a set of guidelines and principles that outline the expected behavior and standards for professionals in the consulting industry. It serves as a moral compass and helps maintain integrity and professionalism in their work.

2. Why do consultants need a code of ethics?

A code of ethics is important for consultants because it sets clear expectations for their behavior and practices. It also helps build trust and credibility with clients and ensures that consultants are held accountable for their actions.

3. What are some common elements found in a code of ethics for consultants?

Common elements in a code of ethics for consultants may include confidentiality, honesty, professional competence, conflict of interest, and respect for clients and colleagues. These are just a few examples and may vary depending on the specific consulting industry.

4. Is a code of ethics legally binding for consultants?

A code of ethics is not necessarily legally binding, but it is a professional and ethical obligation for consultants to adhere to its principles. Violating a code of ethics can result in disciplinary action or damage to one's reputation and credibility.

5. How do consultants ensure they are following their code of ethics?

Consultants can ensure they are following their code of ethics by regularly reviewing and familiarizing themselves with its principles, seeking guidance from colleagues or superiors when faced with ethical dilemmas, and being transparent and open with clients about their practices.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
TeresaG
Replies
Views
esavvymom