• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Pushy Consultants: My Daughter's Experience with Parklane Jewelry

In summary, this woman was pushy and my daughter had committed to do a show so she wasn't going to really spend anything so she thought she was waiting to set a date and then the lady asked her for her order. When she tried to explain she said something to her like didn't she care about helping out tonights host??? My daughter is young and not too assertive when put in this position and she caved in and ordered more than she would have. My daughter does not want her friends or our family treated this way in our home so I don't think she will hold the show and she doesn't even know the host from the show
quiverfull7
Gold Member
My daughter (age 23) was at a jewelry party last week.. Parklane Jewelry I think it was... and the consultant was SO pushy! She pretty much guilted my daughter into purchasing and booking a show and she is now hounding her for a date. The host of the party is SO embarrassed and I really don't want this person in my home to do a show. I'm reminded and thankful that we are trained SO differently. This lady was SO pushy and my daughter had committed to do a show so she wasn't going to really spend anything so she thought she was waiting to set a date and then the lady asked her for her order. When she tried to explain she said something to her like didn't she care about helping out tonights host??? My daughter is young and not too assertive when put in this position and she caved in and ordered more than she would have. My daughter does not want her friends or our family treated this way in our home so I don't think she will hold the show and she doesn't even know the host from the show she went to... my dd attended as a guest of a friend. That host has contacted her and told her it is fine to back out... I'm just appalled at this woman. She called here today and asked for dd and I told her she was at work and could I take a message. She GROANED and told me who she was. She's a mess! Thanks for letting me vent and THANKS for being a PC Consultant who would NEVER treat a stranger much less a friend like this!

She groaned? I guess she's not trained to keep a smile on when she makes her calls. Geesh... See... this is what I'm sooo afraid of being but no way could I even be that way if I tried! I think I need to ease up on myself about the worry of being too pushy. After this post, I don't think that would ever be an issue with me.

Most certainly NOT a circle. ;)

Had a similar situation with a DS clothing consultant. I hosted a show. Two of my friends booked. One had a barely "legal" party. (And she didn't use the discount she earned because money was tight. The cost of her discounted host benefit was more than she could comfortably afford.)The other friend canceled her party because no one could come, and I was the only person interested in ordering. When she contacted the consultant to let her know, the woman was downright rude. She pointed out that I had already been given the benefit from her booking. My friend called me near tears, asking how much I had earned so she could pay this woman back. I assured her that repayment of the very small amount (I want to say $5) was completely unnecessary.I contacted the consultant. I wanted to hear her side of things. She was obviously miffed that my friend had canceled. I told her that my friend had tried to interest people, and had let her know within just a few days of booking (a couple of weeks before the scheduled party), that she would not be able to hold the show. The consultant then went on to complain about my other friend's small show and lack of host order. I told her that it would not be necessary to contact me in the future, and she could drop me from her contact list.I decided two things then and there. First, I would never make someone feel bad about dealing with me. Second, if I was interested in more items from the clothing line, I would find another consultant.

This lady also told my daughter she HAD to hold her show in 30 days. Since she's familiar with PC... my dd was totally taken back by that. No... I'm SURE she's not a circle!

Pushy salespeople end up burning up their business...just a matter of time...

I would never hold another Parklane show. I had one a few years ago and the consultant didn't replace some jewelry that was broken and when I contacted the company, was told it had to be done through her. She was an acquaintance I met through one of my best friends. She avoided my phone calls for almost a year, until I finally gave up. She also avoided my friend's calls when she tried to intervene. I spent quite alot of money on their products and most turned out to be garbage. Looks nice but doesn't last. I'm so sorry your daughter had to deal with this but unfortunately there are some in DS who give the rest of us a bad name. I refuse to be like that. I'd quit first.

Is your daughter going to return the jewelry and tell this person the show is a no-go?

Might be too late to just cancel the order, since it was last week. Most direct sale company receipts have wording that the order can be cancelled within 3 days.

edit - and I know what I'd say to that "HAD to have a show within 30 days".....

quiverfull7 said:
This lady also told my daughter she HAD to hold her show in 30 days. Since she's familiar with PC... my dd was totally taken back by that. No... I'm SURE she's not a circle!

Maybe your daughter should stop returning her phone calls...LOL...sound familiar?

yes i actually got guilted into booking 2 shows in one year with a jewelry lady... *sigh* i have spent so much darn money in jewelry that i am embarrassed to say! i'm glad i dont treat people like that at my shows, and i think it leaves a negative impression on people. all the ladies in my office (i work a fulltime job) feel the same way! since then i've learned the word NO and now i'm not afriad to use It!!!!!

Interesting to read all of these posts about LS & other jewelry. There is a LS consultant who seems to travel some of the same "party circuits" that I do. I attended a show where she was the consultant, because the host is one of my regular hosts (a show every year, many referrals. and very loyal to me.) I went to the show fully intending to book a show to help out the host.....but by the end of the show, I had determined that NEVER would I have a show with her! the whole show was nothing but a recruiting spiel....and she was PUSHY!
The thing I don't understand is that she is also very successful - she has built a huge downline, and always has bookings - all by being pushy.
The thing that REALLY ticked me off though was a couple months later, she was a "guest" at a PC show I was doing. She came in very late - in the middle of my demo - and proceeded to carry on conversations with different people in the room - totally ignoring and disrupting my demo. She then ordered a QS pitcher, threw the order form at me (oh - and she insists that people order individually from her - can't just leave an order form - MUST chat with her) and returned to her conversations. So she was pushy at her show and just plain rude at my show...

I've had issues with almost all of the LS jewelry I've purchased, and won't ever purchase any more - I also was ticked off with the fact that I had to send a $5 check for any piece I returned.....so the lifetime warranty is only good if you pay a $5 fee first? Forget it - I'd rather throw the jewelry away.

My dd said that the lady didn't ask the other guests if they would LIKE to host a show... she rudely asked what DATE they wanted her to block off for their show so they would help out their friend!!!!!! She said she didn't ask or give them time to think... just acted awful if they said no. I SO wish my dd could have been strong enough to say no.... to the party and the jewelery!

diane this is exactly what happened at the show(s) i attended! I bet they train them to do that! I think it is inappropriate tho....

That is the way it was at the show I attended too - she kept talking about "The Perfect Show" and how in order for the host to have a good show (the perfect show) everyone needed to purchase $XX amount in jewelry - oh and the best way is to buy 2 pieces and you get a third for half off (but spending $75-$100 to do that!:eek: ) and then she needed AT LEAST 3 bookings for it to be a successful show.....and she didn't ask either, she just showed guests dates, and
told them to pick the date that worked best for them.:grumpy:

I'm dealing with a pushy jewelry lady, unfortunetly it's family! She asked me in the fall that we could swap parties. I half jokingly told her that I already had a party for her so yeah, she could do one for me (I had her first party and it was over $800!, I don't even like jewelry but wanted some for my wedding). I set a date with her but it has since changed twice (she keeps changing on me) and is now up in the air. Plus I have no date for her. I'm trying to think of the nicest way to tell her that I don't want to have a party for her any more!

wadesgirl said:
I'm dealing with a pushy jewelry lady, unfortunetly it's family! She asked me in the fall that we could swap parties. I half jokingly told her that I already had a party for her so yeah, she could do one for me (I had her first party and it was over $800!, I don't even like jewelry but wanted some for my wedding). I set a date with her but it has since changed twice (she keeps changing on me) and is now up in the air. Plus I have no date for her. I'm trying to think of the nicest way to tell her that I don't want to have a party for her any more!

It is so hard when you have friends/family that want to swap parties like that, isn't it? I have a friend that sells Thirty one gifts and she has had 2 shows for me and is wanting to do one in Jan. I tried to do a show for her, but nobody was really that interested in the products. I just think that kitchen tools are soooo much easier to sell, because everyone uses them everyday. When it comes to jewelry and purses, bags, etc. they do not get as much enthusiasm.

mpkegley said:
It is so hard when you have friends/family that want to swap parties like that, isn't it? I have a friend that sells Thirty one gifts and she has had 2 shows for me and is wanting to do one in Jan. I tried to do a show for her, but nobody was really that interested in the products. I just think that kitchen tools are soooo much easier to sell, because everyone uses them everyday. When it comes to jewelry and purses, bags, etc. they do not get as much enthusiasm.

That's the problem I have. My family is burnt out on jewelry. They've all had 1 or more shows with her and honestly the stuff isn't that good either. She was a little bit mad at me that I didn't sign up with her when I told her I decided to do PC. I had been interested but the start up charge was a big turn off for me. And I'm glad because my family LOVES PC!!!

I had a bath & body lady be really pushy with me for a booking. When I sat down to order, she said, "What date would you like to hold your girl's night out?" I told her that I wasn't going to book a show and she looked at me point-blank and said, "WHAT DATE WOULD YOU LIKE TO HOLD YOUR GIRL'S NIGHT OUT?" I repeated my answer, looking her square in the eye. She gasped and said that she couldn't believe that I would deny my friends such a fun and wonderful experience. Huh? Whatever! Oh -- I forgot to mention, I ordered 3 items that were on sale, and she charged me the full price so I pointed it out to her. Then she corrected it (acting like I was the biggest pain in her butt) and said something under her breath that if I NEEDED the sale price, I NEEDED to host because obviously I didn't have the money or something along those lines. Very nice.

My friend that sells LS used to me a "manager" but lost it because her consultants couldn't keep up with their monthly sales requirement (which she told me is $1500 per consultant!) This part I couldn't figure out... she lost her management status because one consultant became inactive, so she had 2 which rolled up to her manager. Her manager told her that if she re-promoted, signed 3 new people, she would "give" her the other two back. That totally doesn't make sense to me.. I guess because PC doesn't work that way.

finley1991 said:
I had a bath & body lady be really pushy with me for a booking. When I sat down to order, she said, "What date would you like to hold your girl's night out?" I told her that I wasn't going to book a show and she looked at me point-blank and said, "WHAT DATE WOULD YOU LIKE TO HOLD YOUR GIRL'S NIGHT OUT?" I repeated my answer, looking her square in the eye. She gasped and said that she couldn't believe that I would deny my friends such a fun and wonderful experience. Huh? Whatever! Oh -- I forgot to mention, I ordered 3 items that were on sale, and she charged me the full price so I pointed it out to her. Then she corrected it (acting like I was the biggest pain in her butt) and said something under her breath that if I NEEDED the sale price, I NEEDED to host because obviously I didn't have the money or something along those lines. Very nice.
I use similar wording when I ask for bookings at checkout, but I say it with a smile in my voice and on my face, and if they say no then no big deal. I hope I don't come across as pushy (now I'm nervous about it!). I will admit that I've been fake-pushy with customers who know my sense of humor, but I do it in such an over-the-top way that it's pretty obvious I'm just having a little fun.

And I've mistakenly added up regular prices, too (haven't we all?), but I'd never DREAM of having an attitude when a customer corrected me. In fact, I usually make some comment about how we have new items on sale every month, which is great for my customers, but can make it hard for me to remember. ;)

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Ann. A lot of it is about how you say things.Asking, :)"You've been so much fun tonight, I bet your friends are a hoot. When are we going to do your party?" :)is very different from"What date would you like to hold your girl's night out?" I told her that I wasn't going to book a show and she looked at me point-blank and said, "WHAT DATE WOULD YOU LIKE TO HOLD YOUR GIRL'S NIGHT OUT?" I repeated my answer, looking her square in the eye. She gasped and said that she couldn't believe that I would deny my friends such a fun and wonderful experience. :grumpy:

chefann said:
I use similar wording when I ask for bookings at checkout, but I say it with a smile in my voice and on my face, and if they say no then no big deal. I hope I don't come across as pushy (now I'm nervous about it!). I will admit that I've been fake-pushy with customers who know my sense of humor, but I do it in such an over-the-top way that it's pretty obvious I'm just having a little fun.

And I've mistakenly added up regular prices, too (haven't we all?), but I'd never DREAM of having an attitude when a customer corrected me. In fact, I usually make some comment about how we have new items on sale every month, which is great for my customers, but can make it hard for me to remember. ;)

Ann - there is a difference between using that wording when asking for bookings and ignoring peoples answers........
I cannot imagine you EVER being pushy!

I totally agree that HOW we ask makes all the difference! I NEVER want to make any of my hosts friends feel trapped into having a show... That is the very reason why some people won't host. I want to give them a very different experience than they expect. I do tell them during the demo that I will be asking them at check out so that they are prepared and I say that I'm going to ask everyone so that no one feels left out! :) Ann... I cannot imagine that you come accross pushy and making a mistake on price is totally understandable... it's how you respond when they point it out that makes all the difference!

quiverfull7 said:
I totally agree that HOW we ask makes all the difference! I NEVER want to make any of my hosts friends feel trapped into having a show... That is the very reason why some people won't host. I want to give them a very different experience than they expect. I do tell them during the demo that I will be asking them at check out so that they are prepared and I say that I'm going to ask everyone so that no one feels left out! :) Ann... I cannot imagine that you come accross pushy and making a mistake on price is totally understandable... it's how you respond when they point it out that makes all the difference!

For a long time, I had a saying posted above my desk - "My response is my responsiblity"......

I can't believe how pushy some people are! I would never want someone to have a show with me because they felt they HAD to!

Unfortunately, people like this give the rest of us a bad name. I have so many people who seem afraid to give me their contact info, like I'm going to be pushy. I hate that, because they probably feel that way because they had a pushy consultant before from another company.

I really think your daughter should tell her that she has decided not to have a show because she felt pressured to have one in the first place & that she is not very pleased with the way she's being treated. Maybe if enough people tell the truth to these consultants, they would realize people don't like it! Although, if your daughter is like me, she wouldn't want to hurt the consultant's feelings!

I didn't have a problem with the way she said it the first time... don't worry! I didn't think it was push until she repeated herself a little more sternly!

I think it's a great line to use and very effective! Keep doing it because it works.

It makes me mad that other DS companies give DS as a whole a bad rap and it effects all of us. On the other hand, it makes me happy because everyone knows how nice PC reps are!

At my show last night, the women couldn't believe all that we had. They said that every show they went to, they only ever saw Stoneware! It was very very fun!

When a guest points out an error I've made, my response is usually, "Darn! You caught me. I could have really used that $0.35."

raebates said:
When a guest points out an error I've made, my response is usually, "Darn! You caught me. I could have really used that $0.35."

thats great! I'll have to use that. very witty :blushing:

bsaxman said:
thats great! I'll have to use that. very witty :blushing:
Witty is a much better word than smart-a$$. Though, both are accurate. :)

I went to a LS party in August. I had several things that I purchased totalling a little over $100. The lady was so rude & the whole show was about recruiting.

When my order came, it was in a ziploc baggie with no receipt b/c they forgot. The host had tried calling LS & they told her to deal with the consultant. When she called the consultant, she said it was easier for her (the consultant) if the host would just deal with LS directly! The host told me she will never have a party with her or LS again. I surely won't be buying from them ever again either.

I had something I wanted to return but I couldn't do that without my receipt. I didn't get my receipt until after the length of time had passed for me to do a return. I could do an exchange but only at my expense & if I picked out something worth more than my original purchase.

I wonder if LS Consultants lose their commision if something gets returned? That would account for not wanting you to have your receipt in a timely manner... that sounds really awful to suggest but sure does make you wonder.

raebates said:
"What date would you like to hold your girl's night out?" I told her that I wasn't going to book a show and she looked at me point-blank and said, "WHAT DATE WOULD YOU LIKE TO HOLD YOUR GIRL'S NIGHT OUT?" I repeated my answer, looking her square in the eye. She gasped and said that she couldn't believe that I would deny my friends such a fun and wonderful experience. :grumpy:
Wow! I would love to have said something like, "I know, I'm a TERRIBLE person! I'm denying them the great opportunity to go through this same wonderfully annoying experience I'm going through at this VERY moment!":eek: Of course, I could never get the guts to say that!

I haven't been to any jewelry parties but I had a similar experience with a make up consultant years ago. I don't even remember the name of the company any more. Back then I was more reserved than I am now so I didn't report her behavior to the company but now I would. If anyone is interested in doing that the info for the 2 companies I saw mentioned here are

Jewels by Park Lane 1-800-621-0088 [email protected]
Lia Sophia 1-800-959-3324 [email protected]

pamperedbecky said:
Wow! I would love to have said something like, "I know, I'm a TERRIBLE person! I'm denying them the great opportunity to go through this same wonderfully annoying experience I'm going through at this VERY moment!":eek: Of course, I could never get the guts to say that!
Becky~

That is one of those things that I would think to say AFTER the fact! I probably couldn't say it to her face, either...even if I did think of it in time! Darn "please everyone" tendencies! :p

chefann said:

I am about to host a show in 3 hours and am going to use the words "Wasn't tonight fun?, (of course they say yes) So what date would you like to hold your own show here is my planner all highlighted dates are available."

I am so amazed at the OS ladies I have talked to one is a slight bit pushy she sells for Passion Parties and actually asked me if it was something I was thinking about doing. She KNOWS I am a PC consultant and that I work full time and volunteer 3 days a week.

chefann said:

I agree with the person that posted below you... I say similar things to what you say Ann, and I say it with a smile, and I am gracious and nice about it. I have even told people that they were so much fun, that I would really be sad if I couldn't see them again, and do a show with them!

I'm glad I'm learning about other DS consultants here... I think I'll stay away from pushy jewelry sales. I'm so glad we don't have to be pushy!

quiverfull7 said:

This one actually makes me chuckle. Kinda sounds like the ol' "bully in the school playground"...I mean, 30 days or else? :mad:
Or else, WHAT? lol:D

Gimme a break already!!:indif:

Paula

Amazing, the nerve of some people. My temper would have gotten the best of me. lol Especially in Colleen's case. That's beyond pushy. It's just obnoxious and rude. How do these people stay in business? It seems the only thing they have going for them is intimidation. It's certainly not because they have superior products like ours. :D

RebelChef said:
How do these people stay in business?

A lot of them don't... and ironically, they have NO idea why!!!! It's always the same thing... "I couldn't get anyone to book shows with me..." Gee.. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

1. How should I handle a pushy consultant at a jewelry party?

First and foremost, it’s important to remember that you are not obligated to purchase anything or book a show with a consultant. You have the right to politely decline their offers and set boundaries. If the consultant continues to pressure you, it’s best to politely excuse yourself from the situation.

2. What can I do if a consultant guilt-trips me into making a purchase?

If you feel like a consultant is using guilt to pressure you into buying something, it’s important to remember that you are in control of your own decisions. You can politely decline and let them know that you are not comfortable with their approach. You also have the option to leave the party or end the conversation if you feel uncomfortable.

3. How do I politely decline booking a show with a pushy consultant?

If a consultant is pressuring you to book a show, you can politely decline by letting them know that you are not interested at the moment. You can also offer to follow up with them at a later date if you change your mind. Remember, you are not obligated to book a show and it’s important to set boundaries and make decisions that are best for you.

4. What should I do if a consultant continues to hound me for a show date?

If a consultant is constantly hounding you for a show date, it’s important to communicate your boundaries clearly and assertively. Let them know that you are not interested in booking a show at the moment and ask them to respect your decision. If they continue to pressure you, it may be best to politely end the conversation.

5. How can I handle a pushy consultant without causing any tension?

The best way to handle a pushy consultant is to be polite, firm, and assertive. Let them know that you appreciate their enthusiasm, but you are not interested in purchasing or booking a show at the moment. If they continue to pressure you, it’s important to remember that it’s not your responsibility to please them and it’s okay to politely end the conversation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Teresa Lynn
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • AmyDare
  • General Chat
Replies