• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unprofessional Behavior at My Show: A Lesson for Rude and Pushy Consultants

In summary, a consultant who has been working in the area for a while was told by other hosts that she is pushy. The consultant told her past host that she would be available to help out if needed, and that she does not want to be pushy.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
At my show last week, a repeat host of mine was a guest. Apparently her and her daughter (both hosts of mine) had been invited to a show by a friend. They had planned on going but then the friend canceled her show due to the consultant being very rude. When my past host handed me her daughter's order on the outside order form from the other show it happens to be a AD in my upline (not my direct upline but in my cluster). I was a little shocked but not really suprised! I've heard this before about this particular person. This is the 2nd time in the last 6 months I've had other people talk to me about fellow consultants. The last time, I was told that a group of ladies kicked a consultant out of their cul-de-sac for being too pushy.

I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I makes me wonder what has happened before when my own shows have been canceled. Did I happen to push a host's buttons to far one day or something? You know those people who mysteriously cancel their show and then drop off the face of the earth when you try to contact them again?

I did tell my past host that if the friend needed anything that I would be glad to help out. I didn't want to push too hard but wanted to make myself available if she didn't want to use the other consultant again.

Guests at shows have voiced complaints about a consultant in our area that is pushy. I usually tell them that most consultants are not that way and try to get them focused on the positives of PC. I might mention that we are all in business for ourselves and some run their businesses differently than others.

I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I makes me wonder what has happened before when my own shows have been canceled. Did I happen to push a host's buttons to far one day or something? You know those people who mysteriously cancel their show and then drop off the face of the earth when you try to contact them again?
I would'nt think so or worry about that too much. There will always be those who cancel & disappear:rolleyes:

I did tell my past host that if the friend needed anything that I would be glad to help out. I didn't want to push too hard but wanted to make myself available if she didn't want to use the other consultant again.

It sounds like you handled that well and it may bring you that business.

I hear about other consultants in my area from time to time too. I have learned from these stories the kind of consultant I DON'T want to be. One consultant talks too much. One stays way too long after the show. Recently my friend went to a show and the group was really chatty, the consultant told them that they were being disrespectful to her and the host and that they should be quiet until her demo was finished (they are still taking about her - glad I made a good impression with them :) )

If you know you've run your business ethically and with respect to your customers I wouldn't worry about the MIA hosts. SOme people cancel b/c they did not hold-up their end of the bargain and they are embarassed.

What ever you do, do not put down the other consultant. Just apologize and say you will do your best not to be that way and ask them to tell you if you do anything that they don't like.

You can also mention during your show that you are constantly working on your presentation, and don't want to become one of "those" consultants. (Yes, use the air quotes. People will know what you mean.) And then ask for feedback on your door prize slip. Even if someone thought you were being a little pushy, they'll respect you for wanting to change. And you'll get some feedback on things you may not have noticed about yourself.

You also need to remember to some people/hosts just telling them to invite at least 40 people is being pushy. I try to take comments about other consultants like this and not judge (unless I have heard specific horrible things) I totally agree do not put down another cons. I try to follow what I call the DS consultants golden rule ..... I try to treat my hosts/guests as I would like to be treated. If I am acting like someone who I would walk away from and never answer their calls again then..... "I am doing it wrong"

I did a show for a lady I work with and she told me that she had been looking for another consultant because she and her friends didn't like the one they had been using. I was just starting out so I asked her 20 questions as to what they didn't like! (In a joking way and she didn't mind). I wanted to make sure I didn't do that. I then followed up with her after the show to make sure I didn't violate any of "their" issues?

etteluap70PC said:
You also need to remember to some people/hosts just telling them to invite at least 40 people is being pushy.
That's a really good point! Obviously there are suggestions we make as consultants because we've seen it produce a really successful show for a host. Some hosts may not want to go to those lengths (overinviting, getting outside orders, trying to get bookings, etc) and maybe those are the ones who could view it as being pushy. Oh well....just keep in mind that we're doing our jobs by making these suggestions.:)

Originally Posted by etteluap70PC
You also need to remember to some people/hosts just telling them to invite at least 40 people is being pushy.

That's why it's always a good idea to ask for permission. "Can I give you some suggestions?" "I have found that there are several things you can do to make your party really successful. Can I share those suggestions with you?"

Edited to change the quote to the one I ment to include. lol

Last edited:
BethCooks4U said:
That's why it's always a good idea to ask for permission. "Can I give you some suggestions?" "I have found that there are several things you can do to make your party really successful. Can I share those suggestions with you?"

Love this Beth!!!

My Director is VERY good at this! Even on our coaching calls she uses wording like that. We are very close, so she knows she can tell me anything or make a suggestion, but she always "gets permission" before giving me a helpful hint. I think, that way, *I* am "taking responsibility" and WANTING the advice!

KellyTheChef said:
My Director is VERY good at this! Even on our coaching calls she uses wording like that. We are very close, so she knows she can tell me anything or make a suggestion, but she always "gets permission" before giving me a helpful hint. I think, that way, *I* am "taking responsibility" and WANTING the advice!
We directors are "trained" to ask permission to help you.:p :chef:

Beth, I'm going to use this version. I don't always know the best way to say what I want w/o sounding "pushy" or just annoying the host.

I occasionally hear the same comments about other consultants. My standard response is, "I'm so sorry to hear that." I know that everyone's personality is different, and our threshold for "pushy" varies widely. What she considers overbearing might strike me as enthusiastic. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. Also, I figure if they're really bad, they'll "push" themselves out of business eventually.

I've had people tell me about other consultants - one girl even canceled her show with another consultant because she never called her or emailed her about her show and KNEW I would work with her better. She called me immediately and had a $1000 party. If only that poor girl knew what she missed out on! (Apparently she was new and just handed her some catalogs and never called her again - definitely a HUGE reminder to do your host coaching - COACHING, not bugging!) :D

I too make very little of comments like these. Granted, some may be true, however, I have had things made up about me and also had somene call one of my consultants "pushy" because she did a follow up call asking her if she would like to join her bridal registry and/or have a wedding shower!

This doesn't mean that what you hear may indeed be true, but as others have said...it may be all on how one interprets things at the time.

1. What is considered "unprofessional behavior" at a Pampered Chef show?

Unprofessional behavior at a Pampered Chef show can include being rude or pushy towards guests, not following the recommended guidelines for presenting products, making false claims about products, or not respecting the host's wishes.

2. How can I handle unprofessional behavior from another consultant at my show?

If you witness unprofessional behavior from another consultant at your show, it's important to address it immediately. You can politely remind the consultant of the company's standards and guidelines, or if the behavior continues, you can reach out to your supervisor for guidance on how to handle the situation.

3. What should I do if a guest complains about unprofessional behavior from a consultant?

If a guest brings up concerns about unprofessional behavior from a consultant, it's important to address it with the consultant directly. You can also apologize to the guest on behalf of the company and assure them that their experience is important to us. You can also report the incident to your supervisor for further action.

4. How can I avoid being seen as unprofessional at my shows?

To avoid being perceived as unprofessional, it's important to follow the recommended guidelines for presenting products, respect the host's wishes, and always be polite and respectful to guests. Avoid making false claims about products and focus on providing a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone at the show.

5. Are there consequences for consultants who display unprofessional behavior at shows?

Yes, consultants who display unprofessional behavior at shows may face consequences such as a warning, suspension, or termination of their consultant agreement with Pampered Chef. The company takes these matters seriously and expects all consultants to uphold the highest standards of professionalism at all times.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
finley1991
  • Braedensmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Braedensmom
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy