• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Anyone Think the Mexican Chicken Lasagna Tastes Kinda Doughy?

The recipe calls for a lot of onions, but it is a great dish.If your goal is to promote the DCB, I haven't found anything easier than the Mini BBQ Chicken Sandwiches; they are very good and hosts/guests are always impressed with that recipe.My DS wasn't a big fan of the Mexican Chicken Lasagna. He said it was too "saucy". I think I may try again and take Kimberly's suggestion of using salsa and back off a bit on the enchilada sauce.
krackley
I'm planning to do it at a show on Thursday, so I made it over the weekend for my family - my husband said it wasn't the usual "show-stopper" recipes I normally do at shows - something about a casserole not being that dramatic.

I always take his advice, but then I'm doing a show for a bunch of moms who want to save time and money!

(ummm. . and I want to sell some DCB!!)

Has anyone tried this at a show - what have been your responses to it?

I've never made it at a show, made it once at home and my family didn't really love it (me either) so I never offer it at shows.

I don't care much for it either.

I usually do the Incredible 30 Minute Chicken, or the Chicken Fajitas, or I cook chicken breasts to use for Jerk Chicken Nachos, or to make Pulled Chicken BBQ sandwiches.

I've made it at several shows and my hosts and guests LOVE it! I personally use whole wheat tortillas when I make it at home, MH is not a fan of mexican and he loves it as well :)

It has ALWAYS been a hit when I've made it at a show.

kdangel518 said:
I've made it at several shows and my hosts and guests LOVE it! I personally use whole wheat tortillas when I make it at home, MH is not a fan of mexican and he loves it as well :)

It has ALWAYS been a hit when I've made it at a show.

BIG hit at shows AND I had company over (9 of us). Made that with some bread and a salad and everyone RAVED over it!!!

We love it around here - and it's great the next day...cold!!

Make sure you are using corn tortillas not flour ones, that maybe why it tastes doughy.

wadesgirl said:
Make sure you are using corn tortillas not flour ones, that maybe why it tastes doughy.

corn tortillas are the way to go!

In my experience, hosts and guests love it; personally, I don't care that much for it. One thing I do a little different is to add some salsa.
If your goal is to promote the DCB, I haven't found anything easier than the Mini BBQ Chicken Sandwiches; they are very good and hosts/guests are always impressed with that recipe.

My DS wasn't a big fan of the Mexican Chicken Lasagna. He said it was too "saucy". I think I may try again and take Kimberly's suggestion of using salsa and back off a bit on the enchilada sauce.

My personal faves in the DCB are the Chicken Fajitas. Super fast, easy, and tasty. It shows quite a bit of products and the wow factor of having it out of the microwave and ready in under 20 minutes is always a huge hit! I haven't tried the mini BBQ Chicken sandwiches, but they sound good too.

We LOVE it!!! But - the flour tortilla's do make it doughy, and I don't add the cilantro AND I use spicy green sauce instead of red. That is the best thing about PC recipes - you can tweek them to your taste.

I use a smaller can of sauce and less tortillas than the recipe actually calls for - instead of four on a layer I do three and one of them is cut in half to fit the spaces where needed. It was too saucy for me the first time but making the adjustment of a smaller can of sauce and adding some extra cheese did the trick.

And it is fabulous the next day - although I didn't try it cold.

The first time I had this was at our cluster meeting and it was disgusting. I don't know what they did wrong but I could not eat it and I actually swore I would never use or have that recipe again. However, I ended up getting some of the recipe cards in error and was told to keep them. For some reason I decided to make it myself and it was delish. My DH (who hates mexican food) loved it. So now I make it once a month. I wonder if they did use the flour tortillas or what because it was just unedible, in my opinion anyway. Others were eating it but there was no way I could take more than two bites LOL

I've made it for a couple of shows and it was a big hit at both. I have sold DCBs from it. One show was for 20 people, so I made two and served sour cream and chopped avocados (using the avocado peeler - which people LOVE) alongside. I think I sold three at that show.
First show had their doubts about the amount of onions, but they still liked it. Second show had no onion qualms at all. I would only use corn tortillas. I have done it with chicken breasts sprinkled with the Southwest Seasoning and roasted in the oven, with rotisserie chicken and also with store-bought "grilled" chicken strips. All great.
Good luck!

I have made it with a pound of ground beef, browned vs. the chicken and we really liked it.

I made it twice and it was a HUGE hit! My mother-in-law must ask about it everyday and my dad had to buy one! I bought the tortillas it called for...I can't remember if they were corn or not but I know I had to search in the grocery store for them...not in the "American" Mexican food section!

Substitute Black beans (canned, drained and rinsed) for the chicken for the vegetarians in your life (or during Lent).

laurichef said:
Substitute Black beans (canned, drained and rinsed) for the chicken for the vegetarians in your life (or during Lent).

GREAT idea Lauri!!

You have to use corn tortillas - the recipe specifically calls for them. Flour tortillas are not meant to be baked in anything saucy! They totally break down into a doughy mess! And they taste really weird when that happens! YUCK! I have made it quite a few times and never have any complaints or leftovers for that matter! Everyone I have made it for loves it.

Also, you usually can find thick and thin corn tortillas. USE THE THIN ONES!

1. Why does my Mexican Chicken Lasagna taste doughy?

There could be a few reasons why your lasagna is tasting doughy. Firstly, make sure that you are using the correct type of noodles. We recommend using oven-ready lasagna noodles to avoid any doughy texture. Additionally, make sure that you are not overcooking the lasagna. If it is left in the oven for too long, it can become doughy. Lastly, try reducing the amount of liquid in the recipe, as too much liquid can also result in a doughy texture.

2. How can I fix a doughy Mexican Chicken Lasagna?

If your lasagna has turned out doughy, try placing it back in the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes. This will help to cook out some of the excess moisture and crisp up the noodles. If this doesn't work, you can also try removing the top layer of noodles and replacing them with fresh, uncooked noodles before baking again.

3. Can I use regular lasagna noodles instead of oven-ready?

Yes, you can use regular lasagna noodles instead of oven-ready ones. However, keep in mind that regular noodles will need to be boiled before assembling the lasagna. This may add some extra time to the overall preparation process. We recommend using oven-ready noodles for a quicker and easier assembly.

4. Is it normal for Mexican Chicken Lasagna to be a little doughy?

No, Mexican Chicken Lasagna should not be doughy. It should have a firm, yet tender texture. If your lasagna is consistently turning out doughy, try adjusting the cooking time or reducing the amount of liquid in the recipe.

5. Can I make Mexican Chicken Lasagna ahead of time and freeze it?

Yes, you can make Mexican Chicken Lasagna ahead of time and freeze it. After assembling the lasagna, cover it tightly with aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake according to the recipe instructions. Keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different after freezing, so it is best to avoid overcooking the lasagna to prevent it from becoming doughy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kmom820
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kmom820
  • ChefJoyJ
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • mmilus