1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Does anyone think the Mexican Chicken Lasagna tastes kinda doughy?

1. krackley

krackley Member

I'm planning to do it at a show on Thursday, so I made it over the weekend for my family - my husband said it wasn't the usual "show-stopper" recipes I normally do at shows - something about a casserole not being that dramatic.

I always take his advice, but then I'm doing a show for a bunch of moms who want to save time and money!

(ummm. . and I want to sell some DCB!!)

Has anyone tried this at a show - what have been your responses to it?

Jul 20, 2009
  2. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

I've never made it at a show, made it once at home and my family didn't really love it (me either) so I never offer it at shows.

Jul 20, 2009
  3. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I don't care much for it either.

I usually do the Incredible 30 Minute Chicken, or the Chicken Fajitas, or I cook chicken breasts to use for Jerk Chicken Nachos, or to make Pulled Chicken BBQ sandwiches.

Jul 20, 2009
  4. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

I've made it at several shows and my hosts and guests LOVE it! I personally use whole wheat tortillas when I make it at home, MH is not a fan of mexican and he loves it as well :)

It has ALWAYS been a hit when I've made it at a show.

Jul 20, 2009
  5. smspamperedchef

smspamperedchef Veteran Member Silver Member

BIG hit at shows AND I had company over (9 of us). Made that with some bread and a salad and everyone RAVED over it!!!

6. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Legend Member Gold Member

We love it around here - and it's great the next day...cold!!

Jul 20, 2009
  7. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

Make sure you are using corn tortillas not flour ones, that maybe why it tastes doughy.

Jul 20, 2009
  8. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

corn tortillas are the way to go!

Jul 20, 2009
  9. taterbug

taterbug Member

In my experience, hosts and guests love it; personally, I don't care that much for it. One thing I do a little different is to add some salsa.
    If your goal is to promote the DCB, I haven't found anything easier than the Mini BBQ Chicken Sandwiches; they are very good and hosts/guests are always impressed with that recipe.

Jul 20, 2009
  10. My DS wasn't a big fan of the Mexican Chicken Lasagna. He said it was too "saucy". I think I may try again and take Kimberly's suggestion of using salsa and back off a bit on the enchilada sauce.

My personal faves in the DCB are the Chicken Fajitas. Super fast, easy, and tasty. It shows quite a bit of products and the wow factor of having it out of the microwave and ready in under 20 minutes is always a huge hit! I haven't tried the mini BBQ Chicken sandwiches, but they sound good too.

11. Crystal Patton

Crystal Patton Advanced Member

We LOVE it!!! But - the flour tortilla's do make it doughy, and I don't add the cilantro AND I use spicy green sauce instead of red. That is the best thing about PC recipes - you can tweek them to your taste.

12. pcsharon1

pcsharon1 Veteran Member Gold Member

I use a smaller can of sauce and less tortillas than the recipe actually calls for - instead of four on a layer I do three and one of them is cut in half to fit the spaces where needed. It was too saucy for me the first time but making the adjustment of a smaller can of sauce and adding some extra cheese did the trick.

And it is fabulous the next day - although I didn't try it cold.

Jul 20, 2009
  13. Fluffy215

Fluffy215 Member Gold Member

The first time I had this was at our cluster meeting and it was disgusting. I don't know what they did wrong but I could not eat it and I actually swore I would never use or have that recipe again. However, I ended up getting some of the recipe cards in error and was told to keep them. For some reason I decided to make it myself and it was delish. My DH (who hates mexican food) loved it. So now I make it once a month. I wonder if they did use the flour tortillas or what because it was just unedible, in my opinion anyway. Others were eating it but there was no way I could take more than two bites LOL

Jul 20, 2009
  14. shorelinecef

shorelinecef Novice Member

I've made it for a couple of shows and it was a big hit at both. I have sold DCBs from it. One show was for 20 people, so I made two and served sour cream and chopped avocados (using the avocado peeler - which people LOVE) alongside. I think I sold three at that show.
    First show had their doubts about the amount of onions, but they still liked it. Second show had no onion qualms at all. I would only use corn tortillas. I have done it with chicken breasts sprinkled with the Southwest Seasoning and roasted in the oven, with rotisserie chicken and also with store-bought "grilled" chicken strips. All great.
    Good luck!

Jul 20, 2009
  15. lpacker

lpacker Member

I have made it with a pound of ground beef, browned vs. the chicken and we really liked it.

Jul 20, 2009
  16. dkitten13

dkitten13 Member

I made it twice and it was a HUGE hit! My mother-in-law must ask about it everyday and my dad had to buy one! I bought the tortillas it called for...I can't remember if they were corn or not but I know I had to search in the grocery store for them...not in the "American" Mexican food section!

Jul 20, 2009
  17. laurichef

laurichef Member Gold Member

Substitute Black beans (canned, drained and rinsed) for the chicken for the vegetarians in your life (or during Lent).

Jul 20, 2009
  18. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

GREAT idea Lauri!!

Jul 20, 2009
  19. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

You have to use corn tortillas - the recipe specifically calls for them. Flour tortillas are not meant to be baked in anything saucy! They totally break down into a doughy mess! And they taste really weird when that happens! YUCK! I have made it quite a few times and never have any complaints or leftovers for that matter! Everyone I have made it for loves it.

Jul 20, 2009
  20. cmdtrgd

cmdtrgd Legacy Member Gold Member

Also, you usually can find thick and thin corn tortillas. USE THE THIN ONES!

Jul 20, 2009
Have something to add?