• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does Anyone Here Have Hr Experience?

In summary, my boss sent an e-mail Friday afternoon to the Finance team, advising we'd have a visitor from Group Finance in Hong Kong (where our HQ is located) on Tuesday and Wednesday. There will be a finance department meeting Tuesday morning - and we are to 'make ourselves available for a team dinner Tuesday.' Since we're having the meeting in the morning, I view this dinner as a purely social, get-to-know-you event. However, if I put in my required 8 hours on Tuesday, including the meeting, can my boss mandate I attend the dinner? Do I have a choice in attending after-hours events? Does it make a difference if I'm salary, not hourly?
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
I'll try to keep this short, since I already ranted about my full-time job in another thread.

My boss sent an e-mail Friday afternoon to the Finance team, advising we'd have a visitor from Group Finance in Hong Kong (where our HQ is located) on Tuesday and Wednesday. There will be a finance department meeting Tuesday morning - and we are to 'make ourselves available for a team dinner Tuesday.' Since we're having the meeting in the morning, I view this dinner as a purely social, get-to-know-you event.

Questions: If I put in my required 8 hours on Tuesday, including the meeting, can my boss mandate I attend the dinner? Do I have a choice in attending after-hours events? Does it make a difference if I'm salary, not hourly?

Thanks in advance. Your informed opinion will be greatly appreciated.

I am not in HR, but have had plenty of management courses and experience.Part of it depends on your company. If you are salary, they can mandate it and without extra pay. If hourly, they probably can mandate it but should pay you for the time. Either way, they sure didn't give a lot of notice! Do you have a conflict that you are concerned about? I would ask your boss what your options are in that case and ask that person if you have the option or if it is mandatory. It does sound mandatory though.

I agree with Janet. I am salaried and work varying amounts of evening and weekend hours every month. If you have a legit concern about that evening, let your boss know. If it's just a matter of it being beyond your usual day, you should probably just go. Who knows, you might have a nice meal and a good time :)

As a employer my take on "make yourself available" means, make sure your there! I would ask your boss directly though.

rennea said:
As a employer my take on "make yourself available" means, make sure your there! I would ask your boss directly though.

Yep. I wouldn't even bother asking, just be there.

I agree. I think this is a mandatory event and you must be there. I wouldn't ask about it b/c it could be seen like you are not invested in the company and could hurt you at work. I would make sure I was there!

As a former HRM, I would say, he cannot MANDATE you to be there- HOWEVER, as a salaried employee, you are held to a higher standard and it will undoubtedly be in your best interest to be there.

Definitely in your best interest to be there. If there is a conflict with a PC party, try to find a nearby consultant to cover for you. With today's job market, this sounds like a pretty important meeting.

And...I know this was mentioned above -
If you are salaried, there is no 'required 8 hours'. As a salaried professional, that is a phrase that you should forget you ever heard!

Geez, people, so not the anwers I wanted!! :(:) I understand what you're saying, though. It's just that I'm really not happy about the whole situation, so have absolutely no interest in socializing with any of these people. Plus, with an 1.5 commute home afterwards, it's even more upsetting that my boss can dictate how late I'll be home - but still expect me to get up early for my 1.5 hour commute back!!

There is a team training call I'll have to miss, but since Mr. Bossman has no regard for my personal life, I doubt this will make any difference to him. However, there's no new job on the foreseeable horizon, so I guess I have to suck it up and endure.

pampchefsarah said:
Does anyone here have HR experience?

No, I did hit one far enough once that it should of been, but I was huffin' and puffin' by the time I struggled into third and I had to settle for a triple.

Ask your boss if the company is going to cover a hotel for you, since your commute is so long and it would be unsafe for you to drive home after an 8 hour day PLUS the additional required event.

Every state is different & I know VA has some really funky rules! In most states, if you are hourly, they would give you comp time or overtime for staying. You could always ask.

I agree with the salary. You get paid for the job you do, not the hours you contribute to get the job done.

Regardless of how you are paid, if you explain to your boss how late you will be getting home & how early you have to get up, he may let you come in late the next day. ;)

And it's ALWAYS a good idea to rub elbows with the head honchos. If they remember you, they are more likely to promote you down the line!!! :D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
No, I did hit one far enough once that it should of been, but I was huffin' and puffin' by the time I struggled into third and I had to settle for a triple.

Funny KG!

My funniest HR story is that DH (who was my boyfriend then) came down to Racine to visit me. It was Thursday night and I was playing softball. Dad was at the game and Steve was there too. Steve could care less about softball but Dad watched ever moment of it.

Well, I was 2nd at bat and cranked a HR to left field. Ran all the way around and in and up to the guys and said, "Dad, did you see that hit?!" He said, "No, I thought you got out." I said, "Dad the 3rd batter is up and there are no outs, I got a HR."

I wondered how he missed all that action...well, I learned why a month later when DH proposed to me. Dad missed it because DH was asking permission to marry me.

Sarah, it doesn't sound like you enjoy your job much, which is sad when you are in a position that gets invited to these things. Others probably are not happy they weren't invited. If this isn't the sort of thing you like to do occasionally (doesn't sound like it happens often), perhaps it isn't the job for you. I know your commute is long, but that is not the employer's fault. I'm not trying to be mean, just looking at it from an employer's perspective.

Hi Gail. I appreciate your input. Actually, I do, for the most part, enjoy my job. The rant in the other thread is about the fact I've been working from home for the past year, and was recently told starting this week I have to come in the office 4 days a week. Even though I explained to my boss that means wasting at least 3 hours a day in the car when I could be working, he still insists this is what is best for the company.

While it is my choice to live where I do, it is my boss' choice to have me commute when I have proven I can get the work done by telecommuting. His perspective is, from what I can tell, he wants more control over my workload, and can only achieve this if he can physically look over my shoulder. By the way, this is not the same boss who first allowed me to telecommute. That one transferred to a different department.

Also, there's a difference between being 'invited' and being 'ordered.' Since this is a team meeting (the team comprising of only 4 people), there is no one to be unhappy about not being invited.

Ann, too funny about the hotel room! I don't see it happening, but you made me smile. Anyway, what upsets me is that by the time I do get home my DH will be in bed (since he gets up at 3:30am). I'm going to a PC team meeting tonight, and now this tomorrow, so I guess I'll skip my Bible Study on Thursday, and be able to spend some time with my family this week.

Actually Sarah, I didn't make the connection to the other thread. You NEED to be there. Seems like this is their way of making some big company announcements

Sarah, since it looks like you are going, let's hope for a great dinner and perhaps a good reason to celebrate. I had not read the earlier threads about your telecommuting and then the change of having to come in 4 days a week. Perhaps in time they will let you again work from home more. That drive has to be very difficult, indeed. I wish you well.
Gail

1. What qualifications are required for a HR position at Pampered Chef?

To work in HR at Pampered Chef, you should have a bachelor's degree in HR or a related field, as well as previous experience in HR, preferably in a managerial role. Strong communication and organizational skills are also important.

2. What type of HR experience is preferred for a position at Pampered Chef?

Pampered Chef values experience in a variety of HR areas, such as recruitment, employee relations, benefits administration, and performance management. Experience in the direct sales industry is also a plus.

3. Are there opportunities for career growth in the HR department at Pampered Chef?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers opportunities for career growth within the HR department. We have a variety of positions and levels, from entry-level to senior management, and we encourage employees to develop their skills and advance within the company.

4. What is the work culture like in the HR department at Pampered Chef?

The HR department at Pampered Chef is a collaborative and supportive team environment. We value open communication, creativity, and a positive attitude. We also strive to maintain a healthy work-life balance for our employees.

5. Does Pampered Chef offer any training or development programs for HR employees?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers various training and development programs for HR employees, including leadership development, mentorship programs, and opportunities for continuing education and certifications. We believe in investing in our employees' growth and development.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
SummerG
Replies