• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Swapping Shows Nightmare: My Experience with a Disappointing Consultant

M
MandyK
So I meet this consultant from another company who tells me she wast to swap shows. I explain I've been in business less than a year and have really exhausted my friends/family and could not in good conscious offer a fair trade. She says she really wants some of the stuff from my new catalog so she would go ahead and do a show with me.

So, after not returning my calls leading up to her set date she finally calls me the day before her show and says I'm so busy -- plus I don't need the host coaching since I am a consulant, too. AND she says -- lets set the date now for your show. I again tell her I really cannot guarantee a good showing and she says three people would be okay since she makes so much money (40% commission) which makes her job so much easier than mine. So like a wuss, I set a date and show up to her house the next day for the party.

I get there early, set up,spend time watching her daughter whiles he gets dressed and NO ONE COMES for 1 HOUR! Since I sent the invites, I know what time they said. (Forgot to tell you she changed the theme the day before the show). Okay so finally 4 people show up -- all consultants from her company -- with small children in tow. After taking another 30 minutes to settle -- I give a 10 minute presentation and pull out the recipe I made an hour into the unattended show. So as I am packing up they start bringing me their orders and trying to recruit me. $120 in sales. It wasn't even a show! Plus it took me two weeks to get back in touch to try and close it!

Meanwhile I bust a hump trying to show her how a "real" consultant trades shows. I gather 10 people to attend my show and have every thing set. She calls me three days before my show and asks to reschedule. I say okay ( I am passive aggressive). Then the day before the show she postpones on me again! I reset another date.

The day of this show, my father-in-law dies so I have to cancel. She tries to rebook it and I tell her I can't commit to anything NOW because there is so much to take care of. Finally, I offer to do a catalog show for her. She sends me the info and tells me she will call on March 28th to close. April 5th she calls and asks if I am ready -- I tell her I was ready since the 28th but have to pick my kids up.. She says she will call at 6pm. At 7:30 I call her and ask to close my show. I give her the orders -- she does not care about who placed what order or their names to contact them -- just the sales. There is no official "host benefit" written anywhere and I go from $100 free for a $250 show to $40 free for a $210 show. Then one of the items I order is no longer available. Does she offer a replacement idea? No she sends me an email deducting the amount from the sales total and lowering my free amount again. Talk about customer service!

So, first -- thank you for allowing me to blow off this steam! Second, should I send her (her company) a letter (a nice one, I promise) letting her know how dissapointed I was? Or should I just move on knowing that I work for the best company and that the team of consultants I am proud the serve with are the best at what they do in the industry? I think I know the answer ...I just want permission to me MEAN:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I applaud you for your patience! I wish I had a fraction of it!
Good for you for taking the high road!
Sorry it had to be such a pain! I made a promise to myself when I signed up that I would try to do everything in my power not to "trade shows" with consultants. If I did a show, it would be because I genuinely wanted to do the show, not for a favor of a return show. However, I must admit that it is hard to turn people down (and potential shows). I just keep trying to say what you said in that I have exhausted my network, and it is not fair to keep "hitting them up".
Good luck! I've read several of your posts and you have nothing to worry about!!:) :)

I'm very sorry your father-in-law passed away!
Go right ahead!! LOL... That's just all so crazy of her! In my opinion she should really know that THAT is not the way to do business...she's ruining her name and the name of her company.

O.M.G. what a crummy deal! That consultant is so shady. I would contact her company.

I'm sorry for your loss as well.

You have my permission!!!

What company did she work for if you don't mind me asking.

what company is this so we don't book a show with a consultant and get crappy benefits I'm all about FREE! HA

The consultant was from Arbonne -- but I think each consultant has power over their host benefits. I've recently met two other Arbonne consultants who seem to have thier act together -- you know...one bad apple....

Thanks for the kind words about my father-in-law. It was quite unexpected and I think we are all in shock still.

You know, my "radar" went off when I first met this woman. Perhaps we should listen to our inner voices more often -- at least I should!

It WILL be my passive aggressive stand from this point to say "I'm sorry, I don't swap shows. But I am so honored that you've asked me to."

So sorry about your father-in-law, Mandy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with contacting the company and letting them know how you feel about this person's customer service. Your posts lead me to believe that the letter would be direct but also kind and professional.

I would send a letter. It's pretty bad that you didn't get a much free product as you would have hoped, but at least she didn't get ANY!!!;)

MandyK said:
The consultant was from Arbonne -- but I think each consultant has power over their host benefits. I've recently met two other Arbonne consultants who seem to have thier act together -- you know...one bad apple....

Thanks for the kind words about my father-in-law. It was quite unexpected and I think we are all in shock still.

You know, my "radar" went off when I first met this woman. Perhaps we should listen to our inner voices more often -- at least I should!

It WILL be my passive aggressive stand from this point to say "I'm sorry, I don't swap shows. But I am so honored that you've asked me to."

Yes, our local Arbonne consultant "varies" her specials and free amounts - they have more freedom over that...

They may be "surprised" at our commission level, but I think it is easier to sell PC. They claim it is "consumable" but from one show (and I didn't spend much...) I have enough products that have last me over 6 months...I've only used up my cleansing gel and shampoo...have plenty of the rest...I would definitely spend more $ on PC...

I'm sorry for your loss. I recently had something similar, told her I would do a catty show ( booked a show with me, then a few days later tells me she started with another company :rolleyes: ) I had a GUT feeling about this so I booked my show to close after she had her party with me. Well 2 days before her party she canceled & didnt re book. So when she asked me about mine, I said sorry I couldnt get any orders....;)

I think the BEST thing to do if someone approaches to "swap" shows is to say we don't do that, but if they are interested in having a PC show and really interested in the products, you'd be glad to do a show with them. I preface saying that I know they are in sales and they have their own way of doing things, but I have a specific way too that works for me and is fun. I say that I will truly consider their company and their products and if I like them, I will host a show sometime but don't want it to be "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine."

Truly Mandy, I think you were right about your gut. My 2nd cooking show was with a Mary Kay rep. and she was THE BEST. My best show so far...lots of guests, lots of fun, good sales (for our area) and she followed up with a small fundraiser for her daughter and also is passing out my business cards at a local home show for me. I knew her outside of "sales" and that is the type of person she is...others I've encountered...I'd be wary... Trust your gut first and foremost, not necessarily the company they are with...

janetupnorth said:
I think it is easier to sell PC. They claim it is "consumable" but from one show (and I didn't spend much...) I have enough products that have last me over 6 months...I've only used up my cleansing gel and shampoo...have plenty of the rest...I would definitely spend more $ on PC...

I totally agree -- they only have 1 item under $15. A handful around $15 to $20 and the majority over $30. As a consumer, I feel so much better getting a bunch of things for my $60 purchase vs 2 things!

MandyK said:
I totally agree -- they only have 1 item under $15. A handful around $15 to $20 and the majority over $30. As a consumer, I feel so much better getting a bunch of things for my $60 purchase vs 2 things!
JMHO....I started using Mary Kay and LOVE it!!!!

I use Mary Kay and love it, too! The Timewise skin care and I have a whole color 101 compact too. I got it super cheap when I hosted a skin care class. :)

I have been using the Arbonne skin care - Been using MAC makeup Never tried Mary Kay. The sales people that I run into with Mary Kay all seem too pushy.

I am starting to looking to truly natural and organic skin care - Some of the ingredients in skin care and makeup products and antiperspirants are not good for you.
Arbonne claims to be natural but it still contains parabens. Natural does not always mean healthy. After my mom passed away and I found out how many people in my family have had cancer I am trying to reduce my cancer risk.

DebbieJ said:
I use Mary Kay and love it, too! The Timewise skin care and I have a whole color 101 compact too. I got it super cheap when I hosted a skin care class. :)

I use Marykay as well... and I love it... my MK consultant is great she just hosted a party for me a month ago.... (not a party exchange) and wants to host another one in June of this year. she isnt' pushy at all... in fact we are pretty good friends. It is always nice to make friends with other consultants from other companies... at least it is for me.. I get more leads that way!!

Mandy I am sorry you had such a bad experince... I swaped three shows... OH man.. not something that I wanted to do but it helped my business a great deal... I didnt have a bad experince with their shows but.... me hosting a shwo for them was a flop talk about bad hosts coaching!!

Well, I've just told a gal that I would do this for her. She really wanted at PC party, but would only have one if I had one for her!! Crazy! I'm not even into her products. Premier Jewelry and Beauti Control. When we spoke she really made the spa day sound so cool. So I wanted that, but she said, "I really need it to be a jewelry party because I spent so much on my kit." I just told her okay. I just don't know though. I don't think I'll have very many people at the party. I am worried abou that. Thank goodness her PC party is first. That is the thing I have learned from my own personal experience. Hold the PC party FIRST!!

Wish me luck girls!!

I'm in a similar situation with an Arbonne consultant from church. I'm very new (my first 30 days ends tonight). When I was looking for bookings before I signed up, she responded and offered to host a cooking show if I would host an Arbonne show for her. We have both had to reschedule our shows for different reasons. She called me back the other night to reschedule them (hers and mine). I really don't want to host an Arbonne show. I have really been pushing PC of course with my close friends and family and they have all been supportive. (I'm going to submit my 4th show and go over the $1250.00 mark today!) I just don't want to ask them to come to spend more money right now. We are kind of in a holding pattern right now with neither one of us having a firm date for each other on the calendar. She keeps telling me how many people from church and fellow Arbonne consultants she can get to her show for me but I'd rather take my chances and get the word out at church myself. I suggested doing something together but she didn't want to do that. I guess I'll just tell her that I don't think I could get a group together for her right now so we can just wait on her show as well.

I try to to over Pamper Chef my friends so they are not dreading to hear from me. There are lines that I like but my friends are so spread out and such different schedules it just seems hard to do a show for someone else when I am doing shows for other people all the time. I am a good customer to lines that I like but my house is hard to find - Thank you Mapquest My friends get lost using any of the mapping systems so I have to develop a map or mail instruction to everyone to get to my house correctly.

I have a stead fast policy that I do not swap parties. I tell them that between my full time job and growing my PC business, it doesn't leave me much time to host a decent party. Which is all true.

I did have one lady indicate "maybe" on her door prize slip and then she said she would do a party with me if I did a Party-Lite party with her because she wanted to get more customers in my area. I explained my time constraints and we both agreed to "call each other" Needless to say we didn't!

Now I will rant...I really don't care for most other direct sales products. I just gave away 3 candles to Salavation Army that I will never use. I have just a few scents that I like and now that I have a cat....I do not trust him around candles. I ordered the cheapest thing I could find from a Princess House book that a friend of mine was having, paid over $25 and there they sit still in the cupboard..never opened.

I may have offended a few consultants from other companies along the way, but I try to be honest and as kind as I can. Some just get offended to hear the word no.

MandyK said:
Meanwhile I bust a hump trying to show her how a "real" consultant trades shows. I gather 10 people to attend my show and have every thing set. She calls me three days before my show and asks to reschedule. I say okay ( I am passive aggressive). Then the day before the show she postpones on me again! I reset another date.

My initial thought is that she must not be too serious about her business is she keeps changing the dates! I've done almost 500 shows and have only had to re-schedule ONE! I think it looks very unprofessional if we set a date and then cancel it. I realize that there are legitimate reasons for consultants to change a date....death in the family, illness. That kind of thing is completely understandable. But..."Little Bobby has a soccer game" kind of thing, IMO nope. When I was working at UPS, I couldn't call and say I wouldn't be in cause I had to go to a PTO meeting.

Question 1: Why did you agree to swap shows with the consultant?

I agreed to swap shows because the consultant from the other company expressed interest in my new catalog and I thought it would be a fair trade. However, I did express my concerns about being a new business and not having a large network to invite to the show.

Question 2: What happened leading up to the consultant's show?

The consultant was unresponsive to my calls and only called me the day before the show. She also changed the theme of the show without informing me.

Question 3: How many people showed up to the consultant's show?

Only four people showed up to the consultant's show, all of whom were consultants from her company with small children.

Question 4: How did the consultant handle the show?

The consultant did not host coach or help with the presentation, leaving me to do most of the work. She also spent a lot of time getting ready and taking care of her daughter, causing the show to start an hour later.

Question 5: How did the consultant handle the sales and follow-up?

The consultant did not care about the names or contact information of the people who placed orders, only the sales total. She also did not offer any replacement ideas for an item that was no longer available, instead deducting the amount from the sales total and lowering my host benefits.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • keynibear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pcsharon1
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies